Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,760 members, 7,806,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119335 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2017
There really is no need to cover the entire compound in concrete. Why not leave a space for your plants? Use it to create a nice small garden. Most of the garden shapes I see are square or rectangular, when curves and circles would be more flattering. Why not add stone tiles instead of concrete sef? And avoid any hedge plants, stick to smaller plants. Don't cut a tree down, build your garden around it!?

The last pic, is so easy. Build a set of shallow steps, fix irregular shaped stones on the concrete (Nature isn't symmetrical), place soil around it and put plants and then run a hose through the plants to create a false fountain. The metal pots can be welded to a support at the back to give them that elevated look. It's really easy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2017
I started gardening again!

The Plants are in pots for now and will be transplanted when they're older wink

Pic 1 is palms not sure the name of the exact specie and picture 2 has mint and pepper growing on the two different ends

Enjoy wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 12:30pm On Sep 13, 2017
Mint and pepper wink

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by eddyline(m): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2017
babythug:
Mint and pepper wink
how I wish I've got this your mint. love it in tea

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:02pm On Sep 13, 2017
babythug:
Mint and pepper wink

Isn't pepper a shrub-like plant? I recall seeing wild pepper (the small hot habaneros) growing on shrubs and bushes, in Ogun state. Will you eventually repot?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 10:12am On Sep 14, 2017
Onegai:

Isn't pepper a shrub-like plant? I recall seeing wild pepper (the small hot habaneros) growing on shrubs and bushes, in Ogun state. Will you eventually repot?

i won't exactly say so! You know the soil in Nigeria is generally so good that all a seed literally has to do is touch the ground and it'll blossom, that may explain the " wild pepper" you saw in the bushes! Someone may have rinsed pepper and poured the water if you get me! wink

I'd replant the plants eventually! The garden area has some junk that still needs to be cleared up for now!

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by eddyline(m): 1:24am On Sep 25, 2017
Onegai:
I really want us to discuss Gardening Ideas, how to plan them. All comers welcome smiley
am still waiting for when this will kick off

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2017
Hello all, onegai and all. Please what is the name of this flower

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 8:41pm On Oct 20, 2017
@Onegai, please where can I get this plant, Oxalis aka butterfly plant. I am based in Ibadan and a cilent of mine needs it.

Again, this same person needs another plant but it cintain picture of someone and I don't want to post that online. If you can give me your contact I can send the picture to you directly. Thanks.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 4:09pm On Oct 30, 2017
Transplanted some or the palms
This morning! Not sure I got the spacing right though but fingers crossed on how it turns out smiley wink

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 1:02pm On Nov 01, 2017
I personally think that they are far too close
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 12:16pm On Nov 02, 2017
oriaburefarms:
I personally think that they are far too close

Shall I re-transplant immediately or wait till they grow a little More?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 1:15pm On Nov 02, 2017
babythug:

Shall I re-transplant immediately or wait till they grow a little More?
Re-transplant
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 4:14pm On Nov 02, 2017
oriaburefarms:

Re-transplant

New and improved wink

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:51pm On Nov 13, 2017
Gloriouspa:
@Onegai, please where can I get this plant, Oxalis aka butterfly plant. I am based in Ibadan and a cilent of mine needs it.

Again, this same person needs another plant but it cintain picture of someone and I don't want to post that online. If you can give me your contact I can send the picture to you directly. Thanks.

Hello, it's actually in Lekki if you want it. I don't have her contact but there is one in Lekki and another in Ikoyi. But theirs is a darker coloured leaf (dark purple), maybe the soil/climate conditions? I'll ask this week. Sorry it took a while to reply.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 6:26am On Nov 14, 2017
Onegai:

Hello, it's actually in Lekki if you want it. I don't have her contact but there is one in Lekki and another in Ikoyi. But theirs is a darker coloured leaf (dark purple), maybe the soil/climate conditions? I'll ask this week. Sorry it took a while to reply.

Thanks Onegai. I appreciate your response. I have actually gotten it here in Ibadan. I also received your pm. Thank you so much.

Have a great week ahead..
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Konquest: 7:53am On Nov 14, 2017
Onegai:
Are you into flowers and gardens? Do you love plants? Get in here!

Welcome to the Inaugural meeting of The Hibiscus Flower Society grin

(abeg don't keep quiet o, clap! )

Please feel free to showcase your plants, share your stories, identify different tropical blooms and share any knowledge about potting soil, aphids or best times to plant or what to plant indoors (especially in dark areas) with us. We are all here to learn.

For now, we will keep the discussion on local tropical plants and trees. Stuff growing here already.

Thanks.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Rafaelbeulah: 10:45am On Nov 14, 2017
Hello all, i choose to surround my house with herbs and fruits. I also have carpet grass and some flowers. I have been making use of pots and every container that i can lay my hands on. The pix has

Cinnamon and sweet basil

My NONI plant of the famous Tahitian Noni Juice.

My mint is doing great

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 1:16pm On Jan 22, 2018
Happy new year green fingers

I expanded my garden this year! The flowers/plants are l along the edges. Im considering planting port Harcourt grass in the centre areas too....

Wish me luck

CC- onegai

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Seun(m): 2:01pm On Jan 22, 2018
Inspiring.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 1:06pm On Feb 01, 2018
Work just make people forget some of their plans. Last year I had a little garden inside my Nursery for family/friends/ neighborhood free consumption. To motivate them in growing food by themselves. Even if late to do a proper documentation. I have few pic to share with you.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:41pm On Feb 02, 2018
Babythug, that is awesome. I feel really bad for leaving this thread but time is so hard for me right now.

But I will do 2 posts here. Maybe we should start a group for this? Babythug will be in charge.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
stonecoldcafe:
Hello all, onegai and all. Please what is the name of this flower

I wanna say it's an Allemanda...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:52pm On Feb 02, 2018
Gardenia

I really did not know these grew in Nigeria but they do! And they smell sooo nice. I have seen some mostly in gardens on the island. Gardenia are lovely, gentle plants. Very delicate white fragrant flowers. Their flowers do well in bouquets o. Infact I prefer them to roses. Now, Gardenias need sunlight but not direct sunlight so feel free to plant them under a palm, babythug. They also like water (dip your finger in the soil, it should feel moist most times) and acidic soils. Yes, you can grow them indoors, put it in a pot beside a window.

Did I already mention they smell nice and lool good in flower bouquets?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:29pm On Feb 06, 2018
This is for anyone interested in growing their own food and vegetables,

Please check out this Instagram page, so you can see how she's doing it. She is in Nigeria, around Minna or Abuja I believe.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 7:02pm On Feb 06, 2018
Onegai:
Babythug, that is awesome. I feel really bad for leaving this thread but time is so hard for me right now.

But I will do 2 posts here. Maybe we should start a group for this? Babythug will be in charge.

Let's talk more about this group thing! What do you have in mind?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Aliyah9: 4:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for the report, never thought hibiscus might look so great as a hedging plant, stunning look though. Here's a great source with excellent hedging plants available https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging , you can check the pics here. I personally tend to evergreen berberis, as it looks nice and the price isn't over extortianate.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 11:29am On Mar 12, 2018
Onegai:
This is for anyone interested in growing their own food and vegetables,

Please check out this Instagram page, so you can see how she's doing it. She is in Nigeria, around Minna or Abuja I believe.

I've gone to spy the page on Instagram now.

Nice to know this thread is still alive and kicking. In other news, my neighbors kids ripped off some leaves off my plants over the weekend. I'm just thankful the damage was done to the bitter-leaf plant (its quite hardy and can grow quickly again) and not my ''hard to grow'' ornamental plants.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by jaaydearie(f): 9:15pm On Apr 03, 2018
So glad I ran into this, i have a couple of plants as well. Newbie here

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 9:05am On Apr 05, 2018
jaaydearie:
So glad I ran into this, i have a couple of plants as well. Newbie here

Welcome! Do share pictures of your plants when you can wink
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 8:35pm On Jun 04, 2018
Had some carpet grass planted in my garden today. I expanded the size too. The old plants I moved to another hedge and will share pictures later.

Fingers crossed on how the grass turns out. I'd be grateful for any tips. For now we water it every two days!

CC- onegai

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.