Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? (1457 Views)

Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? / Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by freelance(m): 11:37am On Oct 30, 2006
If you take a closer look at some churches today and the way things are been done, it seems churches are gradually becoming financial institutions. Some churches now have annual general meetings and some even get internal auditors to audit their accounts. Church Business seems to be a very profitable business. Some Pastors are now like M.D's and the church member members and workers like workers in the company. Only God can save us all. What do you guys feel about this?
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by TV01(m): 6:20pm On Oct 30, 2006
You are absolutely right. "Only God can save us all"
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 02, 2006
In a country like Nigeria where there are no ready jobs for graduates,poverty and lack,so many seem to be 'called' especially to the big cities.

It is survival,many of these preachers were not called by anyone except perhaps the sunday offering.
But like the scriptures say,let the plant grow up with the tares, at the end, the husbandman would seperate the grains from the chaff.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Drusilla(f): 3:14pm On Nov 02, 2006
Freelance,

When you are talking about a church that used to have to endorse every politician who wanted to be in office in Europe and elsewhere. The Catholic Church, The mother Church of us all.

The only word I question, is "gradually".

Well, known that the Richest group in the world is Christiandom.
The second richest is the War Machine.

It should then be no surprise that Christianity has been the cause of a lot of wars in this world.

The two richest groups support each other.

Or as the bible says:

The LovePeddler (false church) rides the beast (political i.e. military power of the world.).

Rev 17:3  So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

Rev 17:4  And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

The Bible even shows you the MONEY or FINANCIAL connection between the LovePeddler who rides the beast.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by goodguy(m): 10:42pm On Nov 02, 2006
babyosisi,

You're right.  So many are actually "called" by circumstances.  Nothing more.

Someone here in Nigeria once said, "Once I get to the UK, I'll set up a church.  Seriously, it's a very lucrative business!"
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Nobody: 4:45am On Nov 03, 2006
goodguy:

babyosisi,

You're right. So many are actually "called" by circumstances. Nothing more.

Someone here in Nigeria once said, "Once I get to the UK, I'll set up a church. Seriously, it's a very lucrative business!"

My brother,it is very pathetic.
In New York,Atlanta and Houston especially,the number of Nigerian churches will amaze you.
The Lord called us to win souls but these churches seem to be chasing after members of other churches.
In the nineties,the religious worker category was a sure way to a green card,everyone became a pastor or operated a ministry of some sort.

It is not my place to judge,God is not mocked.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by mazaje(m): 2:20am On Nov 06, 2006
one of the most profitable business in Nigeria today is the church business because its not too difficult to establish besides u wont be taxed and u don't have to reveal your financial gains or losses at the end of each quater or year. Prosperity Prosperity is all u hear. i was in a church in nigeria back in febuary when i went there, it was a mid week evening retreat, the pastor was preaching and noticed that it was late  and some people were leaving the church he immediately stopped preahcing and said"i know its late i will round up soon but if u want to leave u can leave but make sure u drop your quality offering unto the lord by the door before u go, ushers please can u stand by the door with the offering bags so that they drop their offerings before they go" and most of the stupid people in the church that wanted to go complied, can u inmagine i was like shocked shocked shocked shocked. i went to another church and was still shocked by what i saw, when it was offering time the pastor said that every body should wave unto the lord what he has to offer unto him so that God will bless the seed the are about to sow directly while its still in there hands he then continued by saying that the lord does not want your dirty 20 naira, he doesnt need your dirty 50 naira he wants a qualitative offering. immediatley i heard that i just went out and went home. its all a fraud, people should just shine their eyes because this criminals are making a lot from people and the so called blessing(financial) is not coming to the people. people should just work hard and do what is right(be smart) and stop waiting in vain or donkey of years for the financial miracle that a stupid criminal pastor says will come their way.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 06, 2006
mazaje:

one of the most profitable business in Nigeria today is the church business because its not too difficult to establish besides u wont be taxed and u don't have to reveal your financial gains or losses at the end of each quater or year. Prosperity Prosperity is all u hear. i was in a church in nigeria back in febuary when i went there, it was a mid week evening retreat, the pastor was preaching and noticed that it was late  and some people were leaving the church he immediately stopped preahcing and said"i know its late i will round up soon but if u want to leave u can leave but make sure u drop your quality offering unto the lord by the door before u go, ushers please can u stand by the door with the offering bags so that they drop their offerings before they go" and most of the stupid people in the church that wanted to go complied, can u inmagine i was like shocked shocked shocked shocked. i went to another church and was still shocked by what i saw, when it was offering time the pastor said that every body should wave unto the lord what he has to offer unto him so that God will bless the seed the are about to sow directly while its still in there hands he then continued by saying that the lord does not want your dirty 20 naira, he doesnt need your dirty 50 naira he wants a qualitative offering. immediatley i heard that i just went out and went home. its all a fraud, people should just shine their eyes because this criminals are making a lot from people and the so called blessing(financial) is not coming to the people. people should just work hard and do what is right(be smart) and stop waiting in vain or donkey of years for the financial miracle that a stupid criminal pastor says will come their way.

Mazaje,any Christian,walking in the spirit can descern the Spirit from the letters.
The Bible says in all our getting,we ought to get wisdom and understanding.

Christianity is not just in outward excitement and noise making,it's not in following a man and saying Amen to all He says.
It is in being alive in the Spirit and letting God lead you and lead you aright.

If one is walking in the Spirit and truly serving the Lord the Spirit will lead your every move,it is a gift we must all desire,to be fully grounded in him and not be swayed by every wind.
There are sometimes a Pastor can ask that people sow,and anyone filled with the Spirit of God can descern when God is speaking  and if you obey,you will truly be blessed.

I am speaking from experience.

There are sometimes you go to Church and plan to give a certain amount and God will say another,if you are his sheep,you will hear his voice.
Then some other times,you know clearly this is not God speaking.
The only way the Christian can descern the voice of God and seperate it from the carnal pastor's voice is by spending time in the presence of God,in his word and in the company of his Saints.

There is a financial blessing in giving,I can testify to that but you have to be sure it is God speaking.
If not sure ,support a missionary,give to Christian charity organisations,ministeries that have blessed you.
There is no rule as to where to give.
Give and it shall be given unto you,the Bible says.

We know that there are false preachers there to extort money from unsuspecting folks,but let's not be quick to dismiss all pastors.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Ynot(m): 3:43am On Nov 06, 2006
I've said this before and i will still say it again: put tax on church revenue. that will not only solve the problem but the contributors will benefit from their sweat and I know God won't mind.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Seun(m): 6:55am On Nov 06, 2006
Tax on church revenue won't bring any benefit. Politicians and religious leaders are equally corrupt.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by lordimpaq(m): 12:25pm On Nov 06, 2006
@drussilia,

i think you were not too clear on that verse,

i would want you to expatiate,

the scarlet colour and the gold neckaces, ??
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by freelance(m): 7:54am On Nov 07, 2006
I don't support or believe tax on church revenue because some few greedy people would only benefit from it. A church should not a profit making organization or even be like a democratic rule. I once heard of a church that wanted to have a fund raising and made a rich muslim as the chairman of the event. Imagine.
People don't seem to fear God again or how can you explain some of these happennings
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Drusilla(f): 9:46am On Nov 10, 2006
LordImpaq,

Read Hosea chapter 2 to understand about the "LovePeddler who rides the beast". Her riches, her spiritual fornication, her betrayal of God.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by freelance(m): 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2006
So many churches today and we don't really feel the impact. Pastors getting richer and members getting poorer.
Our Lord JESUS CHRIST was so humble and meek that he washed the feet of his disciples. So pastors go around with body guards like politicians. I don't know who is after their lives.
Its all just a matter of time.
Godspeed
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by maxxdjinx(m): 1:28pm On Nov 30, 2006
I believe anything given to the "church" is freely given and it is to GOD not a mortal. There is a motive in giving-whatever the reason might be so it is not up to a man to judge the next man. If you think a church is benefitting tremendously from your donations without positive and/or visible results there are other causes that could utilize your resources provided it is for the sake of the church and humanity.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 30, 2006
maxxdjinx:

I believe anything given to the "church" is freely given and it is to GOD not a mortal. There is a motive in giving-whatever the reason might be so it is not up to a man to judge the next man. If you think a church is benefitting tremendously from your donations without positive and/or visible results there are other causes that could utilize your resources provided it is for the sake of the church and humanity.

so true,we give to God and if you feel your Church and pastor  are only interested in the money and lavish lifestyles,there are so many other avenues you can give and still get blessed.
The Bible never said to give to your church only,you can give smaller offerings and give the rest to individual Christians in obvious need or even the local  pentecostal minister in your village.
You may be that answer to his/her prayers.

Our giving to God is what we do for the body of Christ,there are no denominations in heaven.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by goodguy(m): 11:13pm On Nov 30, 2006
maxxdjinx,

the issue is not about giving to God. The problem here is that so many ordinary people have now taken advantage of this "giving to God" issue, and people keep falling for the same scam everytime, simply because these people claim they're called by God. And of course, no one wants to disobey a "man of God". So you see where the problem lies?
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by freelance(m): 12:51pm On Dec 12, 2006
@ maxxdjinx
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Some so called men of God should not be taking advantage of people to enrich themselves.

Godspeed!
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by donnie(m): 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2006
Goodguy,

your last post is da best!!
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by ehie007(m): 4:38pm On Jun 05, 2008
Churches are fraud now adays in nigerian churches, even some catholic churches are tending towards that direction, i think churches now should be heavily taxed, u even hardly cant feel any social responsibilities frm churches, the pastors and their board just consume the whole poor peoples money, the annoying thing is that the so called stupid and blind followere keep ggetting deceived. Anyway i only give when my hearts tell me too.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Lady2(f): 5:40pm On Jun 05, 2008
When you are talking about a church that used to have to endorse every politician who wanted to be in office in Europe and elsewhere. The Catholic Church, The mother Church of us all.

You have got to be kidding me. Do you know history at all?

I wish you could be so bold to be very clear on what your Revelation verses are insinuating

Last I checked it was all the sprouting churches in Nigeria that are giving revelations on whom the annointed one in Nigeria is and it is not from the Catholic church.

@Topic.

I want to say yes. But understanding the day and age in which we live in, finance is an important factor and so is corruption. In order for some of these churches to be transparent they do have to appoint someone with credible background (preferrably an accountant). Audits also have to be done because as we know no one is to be trusted not even accountants. That is why an auditor without interest in the church and one whom the accountant does not recommend is to audit the financial statements of the church.
Nowadays the pastor is viewed as having the church only for his personal gain, if indeed he is not he should allow the auditor in to be able to attest that the monies spent are being spent appropriately and there is no evidence of fraud or corruption.
Honestly in today's age, it is in the best interest of the church to keep account of everything. People are too quick to judge and point finger, mostly routing from jealousy.
In order to lift themselves up, they see it fit to rip their brother apart.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Esss(m): 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2008
@ Topic

Not only financial institutions, but also business.

FFS I saw an advert today by Mountain of Fire and miracle asking for the donation of 35,000,000,000 (thirty-five billion Naira), for an auditoruim. WTF for??
Peeps are dying of starvation and hunger and diseases and they want to build a monument of 35 billion. for who?? for God?? what a joke. I now consider sundays a sabbath day, for resting at home and preparing for work on monday.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2008
Luke 18:8 => when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Lady2(f): 5:53pm On Jun 05, 2008
FFS I saw an advert today by Mountain of Fire and miracle asking for the donation of 35,000,000,000 (thirty-five billion Naira), for an auditoruim. WTF for??

WHAT?
WHY?

Aren't there enough buildings in the world?

Please tell me you just made this up.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Esss(m): 6:06pm On Jun 05, 2008
~Lady~:

WHAT?
WHY?

Aren't there enough buildings in the world?

Please tell me you just made this up.

I swear it. I was totally shocked. And the poor mofo with whom I saw it with was seriously defending it.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Lady2(f): 6:17pm On Jun 05, 2008
I swear it. I was totally shocked. And the poor mofo with whom I saw it with was seriously defending it.

Wow, I would have loved to hear his defence of it. Do you know where I can get more info on this please?

I am so glad the priests at Catholic churches are answerable to someone. I for one know find it easy to talk to my priest when I feel he's done something unpleasant. I also like that he is humble enough to accept his mistake and apologise and repent of it.

Accountability is needed

People hold your pastors and priests accountable. They are to be upright men of God. Don't become yes men or women. Don't let the sanctuary be tainted.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Esss(m): 6:19pm On Jun 05, 2008
~Lady~:

Wow, I would have loved to hear his defence of it. Do you know where I can get more info on this please?

I am so glad the priests at Catholic churches are answerable to someone. I for one know find it easy to talk to my priest when I feel he's done something unpleasant. I also like that he is humble enough to accept his mistake and apologise and repent of it.

Accountability is needed

I dare any Mountain of fire member to disprove me. I'll check if they have a website.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Lady2(f): 6:35pm On Jun 05, 2008
I dare any Mountain of fire member to disprove me. I'll check if they have a website.

Thanks I am waiting
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by baby4u2(f): 6:54pm On Jun 05, 2008
@freelance. I just want to know one thing. what is the problem with them bringing in auditors? Like lady said and i would say there needs to be accountability. Fashi the name they give accountants these days. Auditors are to make sure the money collected and disbursed are properly accounted for. Is that one now wrong? this is not the first time churches have been attacked on this religion thread about money. Again i will say like i said before if you feel your money is being used inappropriately keep it to yourselve and don't give to the church. Afterall you have to have an understanding of giving in the first place because if you are just giving because you believe its offering time you are deceiving yourself. Your offering should be a point of contact to God. Its for you to benefit and not others, when you give pray over it ask for what you want. If the church likes they should steal it, use it for things other than the work of God, na their own business, Your own is settled in heaven.
Even unbelievers believe in giving. If you believe your church has become nigerian government find the right one.
Re: Are Some Churches Gradually Becoming Financial Institutions? by Esss(m): 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2008
baby4u2:

@freelance. I just want to know one thing. what is the problem with them bringing in auditors? Like lady said and i would say there needs to be accountability. Fashi the name they give accountants these days. Auditors are to make sure the money collected and disbursed are properly accounted for. Is that one now wrong? this is not the first time churches have been attacked on this religion thread about money. Again i will say like i said before if you feel your money is being used inappropriately keep it to yourselve and don't give to the church. Afterall you have to have an understanding of giving in the first place because if you are just giving because you believe its offering time you are deceiving yourself. Your offering should be a point of contact to God. Its for you to benefit and not others, when you give pray over it ask for what you want. If the church likes they should steal it, use it for things other than the work of God, na their own business, Your own is settled in heaven.
Even unbelievers believe in giving. If you believe your church has become nigerian government find the right one.

Yes o, I agree. But still I cant sit down and watch a pastor squander my had earned money all in the name of God. No be like say God dey actually chop the money, na pastor. People for church never chop, meanwhile pastor wan build 35billion naira church (Vanity upon vanity).

(1) (Reply)

All Atheists Must See This / Cool. Calm And Peaceful Prayers Vs Noisy And Fire Brand Prayers / The Divine Truths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.