Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference (3537 Views)

"PDP Will Reclaim Power In 2019" - Jonathan Speaks At PDP Convention / $2.1billion Arms Deal: 10 Prominent Nigerians Who Can Save Goodluck Jonathan! / Raymond Dokpesi Arrested Over N2.1Billion Arms Purchase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by JumiR: 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2016
By KIKELOMO IWAJOMO

The immediate past president of Nigeria, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, earlier today, held a world press conference in Geneva, Switzerland.The press conference was part of activities lined up by the Circle of Diplomats (Circle Diplomatique) in his honour ahead of a dinner tonight at the Intercontinental Hotel, Geneva. The former president addressed two most crucial topics in Nigeria and West Africa at the press briefing: security and civil peace in Nigeria and West Africa; and improvement of health and education of children. He also spoke on his Goodluck Jonathan Foundation.

At the press conference which had in attendance accredited United Nations correspondents and Swiss journalists, Goodluck Jonathan responded to a question raised by a French broadcast journalist on the controversial $2.1billion arms deal. In his words, Goodluck Jonathan said:"I would have loved to speak extensively on this issue. When I read the newspapers, people say President Jonathan must comment because it is a controversial issue. In our country(Nigeria), there are laws: when issues are before a court of law, people who have one thing or the other to do with these issues are not expected to make comments because it is considered as prejudice.

"As a former president if I make comments, it will affect the witnesses, court processes and so on. So I will not make any comment until most of these things are settled. One thing I would want Nigerians to know is that the way we had issues in the country, I tried to build institutions, I strengthened the judiciary and that is why I would not want to do things not in line with standard judicial practice. I encouraged separation of powers.

"I strengthened the electoral body Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) that conducted the 2011 and 2015 elections. Both our local and international observers were quite happy with the outcome. Towards the 2015 election, the country was so tense, some thought Nigeria was going to disintegrate. The cleavages between the North and South; Christians and Muslims; was so sharp and we were also faced with terrorism. So to conduct elections peacefully across that kind of country takes a lot.I would not want to comment specifically on the $2.1billion arms deal because it is not proper. But at the appropriate time I will speak on it. Thank you for raising this issue."

http://dawntodusknews.com/goodluck-jonathan-speaks-on-2-1billion-arms-deal-geneva-press-conference/

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
Evasive but tactical. Instead of answering d question he decided to promote what he did for allowing peaceful election.

In order words, what Jonathan was simply saying is dat since he allowed peaceful election, $2.1bn looting is not important.

For me everybody who shared d $2.1bn must return it. Only GEJ can be 4given

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Idiataqueen(f): 9:38pm On Jan 27, 2016
k
Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by MzPecs(f): 9:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
They should keep waiting for you to make comments

GEJ my man! grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by pgidex(f): 9:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nice one from a nice man
Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by ayus7(m): 9:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
Hmmn! GEJ my man! See ao he "babayaro" d whole tin. He get sense sha, tactical. Ought to a considered 4 nxt super eagles manager.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by eleko1: 9:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Story for the gods undecided .

2 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Juxtified(m): 9:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Always very frank and straight to the point!

5 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Sunky200: 9:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
In summary he said "he have the right to remain silent because anything he says will be use against him in the court of law".
i agree with you sir

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by chubhiee: 9:46pm On Jan 27, 2016
I tried to build institutions, I strengthened the judiciary and that is why I would not want to do things not in line with standard judicial practice. I encouraged separation of powers.
Quite the opposite of what the chanji magician is initializing.

6 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by okomogo(m): 9:46pm On Jan 27, 2016
Where are the APC E RATS, your food is ready...

8 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by erunz(m): 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
that's my hero
Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by babadem2much(m): 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
tuale4u:
Evasive but tactical. Instead of answering d question he decided to promote what he did for allowing peaceful election.

In order words, what Jonathan was simply saying is dat since he allowed peaceful election, $2.1bn looting is not important.

For me everybody who shared d $2.1bn must return it. Only GEJ can be 4given

Nailed! your certificate make sense

1 Like

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Rose2014: 9:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
Sir while you're away, $1 is now N305.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by SOPIGO: 9:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
I wonder y some people cannot read & comprehend little statement. The matter is in d court. If he comments it prejudice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by luvinhubby(m): 9:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
Am loving this man more & more, day by day.

There is no price paid for peace, especially in highly volatile nation like Nigeria, that is too expensive.

APC is a big fraud & God bless this Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Igwe9(m): 9:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
Intelligent and law abiding man. Thumb up
Like he always says; what we need is strong institution and not strong men, politicians do not make a nation, they are just few, ordinary folks do.
What is buhari doing about building a strong institution, What measure is he putting in place to check fraud?

GEJ government introduced card reader, BVN, TSA, cashless society, IPPS and many other ways to checkmate fraud. What's this present government doing? Policy Summersault, lack of ideas, blame games and lopsided anti corruption war/ persona vendetta.

Why are people even accusing this man sef? All the people he worked with were all adult and should the consequence of their actions and the same goes to those that are working with Buhari now.

I think the problem of this country is the masses,

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by denko(m): 9:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
if he does has one
babadem2much:

Nailed! your certificate make sense
Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by talktimi(m): 9:54pm On Jan 27, 2016
tuale4u:
[s]Evasive but tactical. Instead of answering d question he decided to promote what he did for allowing peaceful election.

For me everybody who shared d $2.1bn must return it. Only GEJ can be 4given[/s]
man you're really really dense sha.

...."In our country(Nigeria), there are laws: when issues are before a court of law, people who have one thing or the other to do with these issues are not expecred to make comments because it is considered as prejudice.

"As a former president if I make comments, it will affect the witnesses, court processes and so on. So I will not make any comment until most of these things are settled....."

You better go and study your secondary school comprehension notes again. Keep the thanks

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by OlujobaSamuel: 9:54pm On Jan 27, 2016
sir, your separation of power was that of stealing and not to promote the nation's interest.
you gave everyone free hand to dip deep into our purse, with no one taking responsibility.
your vice insulted a group of different faith to his in your presence but you never condemned such utterance, your wife did same by insulting a whole region comprising of tens of ethnic group, yet you couldn't do anything to stop such utterance.
sir, you goofed on so many areas of responsibility.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by MrPeterson(m): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
Sir you will soon be invited even before the cases are completed in court. You will be held responsible for every action you,ve taken.

1 Like

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Progressive01(m): 10:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
Like the incorrigible Drunken Criminal he is, he couldn't answer a simple question, running around circles formed in his useless head like the fortunate scoundrel he is.

The foolish drunk always imagines conceding defeat in an election in which he clearly lost automatically frees him from being held to account for his stewardship.

Sir, you are a criminal and it is only a matter of time before the law catches up with your silly rump. You can dodge the questions all you want but when you are eventually made to stand before a judge and defend yourself, we'd see how saleable those flimsy and idiotic excuses of yours would be.

Punk.

4 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by demarc001: 10:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
I don't celebrate or support your wrongdoings But I Like your personality. Bros you fall hand in some ways oo.

On the topic, you make sense. Don't interfere until you are called

2 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Greatchance: 10:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
There's is a big different between been a Phd holder and intelligence.
Clear yourself from all this stinking accusations you continue talking about international observers in an election that drastically disgraced you.
Mr. Former president, Nigerians don't remember anybody's good work. Clear yourself now that u have the chance.

5 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by mrking3(m): 10:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
EPIC Response! This man talks quite Intelligently this days and he appears more confident and Relaxed! I think he's apparently Relieved with the Burden of Governing a complex country like Nigeria!!

5 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by LesbianBoy(m): 10:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
Hero 100%

1 Like

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Igwe9(m): 10:10pm On Jan 27, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
sir, your separation of power was that of stealing and not to promote the nation's interest.
you gave everyone free hand to dip deep into our purse, with no one taking responsibility.
your vice insulted a group of different faith to his in your presence but you never condemned such utterance, your wife did same by insulting a whole region comprising of tens of ethnic group, yet you couldn't do anything to stop such utterance.
sir, you goofed on so many areas of responsibility.

If nobody is taking responsibility, why is Dasuki in prison? with all the corruption fight OBJ paraded, was there no corruption during his tenure? You will call Dasuki a saint at the time Buhari is done with Nigeria.
Mark my word!

1 Like

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Otherique: 10:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
Progressive01:
Like the incorrigible Drunken Criminal he is, he couldn't answer a simple question, running around circles formed in his useless head like the fortunate scoundrel he is.

The foolish drunk always imagines conceding defeat in an election in which he clearly lost automatically frees him from being held to account for his stewardship.

Sir, you are a criminal and it is only a matter of time before the law catches up with your silly rump. You can dodge the questions all you want but when you are eventually made to stand before a judge and defend yourself, we'd see how saleable those flimsy and idiotic excuses of yours would be.

Punk.

This much hatred and bile from you to a fellow mortal?!

The good news is: He doesn't even know you exist!

4 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Otherique: 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2016
Greatchance:
There's is a big different between been a Phd holder and intelligence.
Clear yourself from all this stinking accusations you continue talking about international observers in an election that drastically disgraced you.
Mr. Former president, Nigerians don't remember anybody's good work. Clear yourself now that u have the chance.

You don't seem to get it do you?

He said without mincing words that the case is in the court.

Why not wait for the courts.
Even if he talks from now till next year, typical of your type has been programmed to believe nothing from him so serve us your hypocritical rants of clearing his name because to you, he is guilty.

3 Likes

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by drss(m): 10:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
Sunky200:
In summary he said "he have the right to remain silent because anything he says will be use against him in the court of law".
i agree with you sir
now u say why comments like '' an attack on boko haram is an attack on d north'', ''abacha was not corrupt'' by buari dullard is currently being used against him.
GEJ the hero of democracy!
Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 27, 2016
Mumu
Kaikai
Ogogoro master.

Re: FULL TEXT: Jonathan Speaks On $2.1billion Arms Deal @ Geneva Press Conference by rusher14: 10:17pm On Jan 27, 2016
Subjudice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FCT Minister's Son Nabbed With 3million Dollar Car / PA Ikhide Welcome Aisha To America(photo) / Nigeria & Singapore;they Were Equal In The 70s, See Were They Are Now (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.