Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,058 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:10 AM

Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf (20863 Views)

Who Are The Salaf? / Needs A Salaf Who Is Also A Professional Plumber / How The Salaf Dealt With The People Of Desires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 9:32pm On Jan 28, 2016
I'll be using this thread to post some of the wise sayings of the Salaf as well as some stories.Most of them are from the compilations of Owais Al Haashimee and the ones my teacher used to post on his facebook page

I'll also be picking a lot of quotes from Zaad Al Ma'ad(If you don't have this book, please go get it), Siyar A'lam An-Nubala,
Tahdhib al-tahdhib, Hilyatul-Awliya,Al-Bidaayah wan-nihaayah and a few other books

I'll also add footnotes from the little I know

4 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 9:47pm On Jan 28, 2016
Hasan Al-Basree said:

“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.” [Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 9:48pm On Jan 28, 2016
And your Lord does what He Wills!

Al-Imam Abu Taahir as-Silafee - rahimahullah - (d. 576H) mentioned in his book, "Mu'jam as-Safar" that his teacher, Abu Muhammad al-Lamtoonee said,

"At Hums in Andalusia, I saw a woman the first she gave birth she had just one child. Then the second time, two, the third time, three; the fourth, four. On the fifth time, five, the sixth time, six; and on the seventh occasion she had seven children at once!
So she became afraid for her life, fearing that she may die...
Her case got popular in the regions of Andalusia.''

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 7:27pm On Jan 30, 2016
Imaam Hasan al Basree (rahimahul Laah) said:

" The whole world is in darkness except the sittings of the scholars. "
- Jaami'u Bayaanil 'ilm #199.

4 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Souljaboi1: 10:08pm On Feb 07, 2016
AbuHammaad:
I'll be using this thread to post some of the wise sayings of the Salaf as well as some stories.Most of them are from the compilations of Owais Al Haashimee and the ones my teacher used to post on his facebook page

I'll also be picking a lot of quotes from Zaad Al Ma'ad(If you don't have this book, please go get it), Siyar A'lam An-Nubala,
Tahdhib al-tahdhib, Hilyatul-Awliya,Al-Bidaayah wan-nihaayah and a few other books

BaarakaLLaahu feek.

Kindly add quotes from Al Fawa'id by Ibn Qayyim (rahimahuLLaah).

2 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 6:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
It is reported that Ayyûb Al-Sakhtiyânî was asked:

Is knowledge today greater or lesser [in amount]? He replied, “There is more speech today, but there was more knowledge in the past.”

Al-Fasawî, Al-Ma’rifah wa Al-Târîkh 2:136

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2016
It is reported that Imâm Layth b. Sa’d – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Even if I saw a heretic (follower of bid’ah) walk on water, I would not accept him.” This was reported to Imâm Al-Shâfi’î – Allâh have mercy on him, to which he replied, “He didn’t go far enough. Rather, if I saw one walk in the air, I would not accept him.”

Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl ‘I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah Vol.1 p228; Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol2. P175; Ibn Al-Jawzî, Talbîs Iblîs p14 – with slightly variant wordings.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 6:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
For those who do not know,Al-Layth Ibn Sa'd was a very good friend of Imam Malik.He was one of those who made Imam Malik not to work at all.He was an extremely wealthy man from Misr (Egypt). He used to send Gold,Clothes,food and other items to Imam Malik

3 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 23, 2016
AbuHammaad:
It is reported that Ayyûb Al-Sakhtiyânî was asked:

Is knowledge today greater or lesser [in amount]? He replied, “There is more speech today, but there was more knowledge in the past.”

Al-Fasawî, Al-Ma’rifah wa Al-Târîkh 2:136
true and sadly...

3 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 4:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
Imam az-Zuhri rahimahullah said:

"Allah is not worshipped with anything greater than knowledge. "

(Al Bidayah wal Nihayah 9/345)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 4:42pm On Feb 26, 2016
The Scholar, the Ignorant, the Heedless and the Fool

It is reported that Al-Khalīl b. Aḥmad said:

Men are of four types: There is the man who knows and he knows that he knows. He is knowledgeable, so follow him and ask him. And there is the man who does not know, and he knows that he does not know. He is ignorant, so teach him. And there is the man who knows, but he does not know that he knows. He is heedless, so remind him. And then there is the man who does not know, but he does not know that he does not know (he thinks he knows). This is the fool (idiot), so beware of him.

Ibn ˁAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiˁ Bayān Al-ˁilm wa Faḍlihī article 1538.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 4:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
The great scholar, Ayyub as-Sakhtiyani (d.131H) said, ‘From the success of a youth is that Allah guides him to a scholar of the Sunnah.’ Hasan - Reported in Sharh Usulis-Sunnah of al-Lalika'i (no.30).

Regarding Imam As sakhtiyaanee. His full name was Abu Uthman Ayyub bin keesan As-sakhtiyaanee.He was from Basrah and he was one of the teachers of Hammaad bin Zayd

Hammaad bin Zayd once said of him

"Hammad bin abi Sulaymaan came to al-Basrah, but Ayyub did not visit him, thus, we did not visit him. When Ayyub does not visit someone, we will not visit him

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 4:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said, “We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”

Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 5:86

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 5:04pm On Feb 26, 2016
About Ata bin Abi Rabah

He was the great Imam of Makkah in his time.He was a student of Abdullah Ibn Abbas,Abdullah Ibn Zubayr and Aishah

Ibn Jurayj once said "For twenty years the floor of the mosque was his bed."

'Abdullah ad-Dibaj said, "I have not seen a mufti (one authorized to pass a verdict on religious laws) better than 'Ata'.

The interesting thing about Ata is that He was the freed black slave of Ibn Kahysam al-Qurayshi and I'm emphasizing on this
particularly because of what the enemies of Islam like to say concerning the Islamic viewpoint on slavery

It's important to differentiate between slavery before the coming of Islam and slavery after the coming of Islam.Islam changed the way slaves were treated.Slavery before the coming of the prophet was crude and that's the part the enemies of Islam love paying attention to. We do not see anything wrong with slavery because our religion permits it and we're unapologetic about it.

The treatment of slaves is what we're concerned about.The Quran urges kindness to slaves Quran 4:36,9:60,24:58

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by wallmosh: 3:23pm On Apr 29, 2016
Three Exhorters

It is reported that ʿAbd Al-ʿAzīz b. Abī Rawwād – Allāh have mercy on him – said to a man:

Whoever does not take exhortation [and is not effected] by three things, will not be exhorted by anything: Islām, the Qurān and old age (graying).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-ʿUmr Wa Al-Shayb #40

2 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2016
[size=14pt][False­hood that leads to False­hood [Al-Kalam, di­alec­ti­cal, spec­u­la­tive the­ol­ogy][/size]

Abd Al-Rahmân b. Mahdî re­ports:

I en­tered upon Mâlik b. Anas when a man was ask­ing him about the Qur`ân. [Imâm Mâlik] said, “Per­haps you are a com­pan­ion of Amr b. ‘Ubayd. May Allâh curse ‘Amr, for he was the one who in­no­vated this bid’ah of Kalâm . If Kalâm was knowl­edge, the Com­pan­ions and their Fol­low­ers would have spo­ken it, like they spoke about the reg­u­la­tions and laws [of Islam]. But [Kalâm] is false­hood that leads to false­hood.”

Abul-Fadl Al-Muqri`Al-Râzî, Ahâdîth fî Dham Al-Kalâm wa Ahlihî p96.
Al-Harawî, Dham Al-Kalâm wa Ahlihî no.874.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 4:19pm On Dec 11, 2016
Ikhwaan, sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while. I've been very busy but I'll try making the thread active henceforth

Please feel free to contribute
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 11, 2016
subhabAllaah! i forgot about this thread!!

Anyway,

It is reported that Al-ʿAwwām b. Ḥawshab – Allaah have mercy on him – said:

Boasting that you did a sin (when you did not) is worse than committing the sin.

Ibn Qutaybah, explaining what is meant by boasting here, said:

It is when a person says, ‘I fornicated’, when he did not, or to say, ‘I killed a man’, when he did not, boasting and showing off. This is worse upon a man than committing the sin because he did not avoid the sin except that he would have done it if able. He is therefore like the one who does it, by intention. He goes even further by removing the cover (of reputation) from himself, and by the depravity of his audacity to commit sin and his lack of concern.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
It is reported that Abū Al-Dardāʾ – Allaah be pleased with him – said:

When you adorn your copies of the Quran and embellish your mosques, destruction will be upon you.

shaykh Al-albaani says this statement made by this salaf also corresponds to a similar statement made by the prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 9:34pm On Dec 11, 2016
lexiconkabir:
It is reported that Abū Al-Dardāʾ – Allaah be pleased with him – said:

When you adorn your copies of the Quran and embellish your mosques, destruction will be upon you.

shaykh Al-albaani says this statement made by this salaf also corresponds to a similar statement made by the prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam).

This is a very dangerous trend I see today especially mosques built by wealthy people. May Allah save us from the path of destruction.

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 11, 2016
AbuHammaad:

This is a very dangerous trend I see today especially mosques built by wealthy people. May Allah save us from the path of destruction.

na'am, the beauty can even distract one's salaah, may Allaah save us from his wrath – Ameen.

3 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 01, 2017
‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab said:

“We used to say that this Ummah will be doomed by knowledgeable hypocrites.” [Al-Wilaayah ‘Alaa Al-Buldaan, 1/142]

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 01, 2017
[quote author=AbuHammaad post=43158129]For those who do not know,Al-Layth Ibn Sa'd was a very good friend of Imam Malik.He was one of those who made Imam Malik not to work at all.He was an extremely wealthy man from Misr (Egypt). He used to send Gold,Clothes,food and other items to Imam Malik[/quote]

I rmb Aboo Nasir lecture on this... May Allaah preserve him upon khayr.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 11:26pm On Jan 01, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:

I rmb Aboo Nasir lecture on this... May Allaah preserve him upon khayr.

Aamin. I love him so much hence the constant referencing grin
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 11:28pm On Jan 01, 2017
Imam Al-Layth Ibn Sa'd(rahimahullah) was actually a Persian but grew up in Misr(Egypt). He was a close friend of Imam Malik(rahimahullah), there's a Madhab attributed to him but it got extinct because his students were few.

May Allaah have mercy on them!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 11:32pm On Jan 01, 2017
Demmzy15:
Imam Al-Layth Ibn Sa'd(rahimahullah) was actually a Persian but grew up in Misr(Egypt). He was a close friend of Imam Malik(rahimahullah), there's a Madhab attributed to him but it got extinct because his students were few.

May Allaah have mercy on them!

Wow! Interesting stuff! I never knew he was Persian

Some scholars are of the opinion that he was more knowledgeable than Malik (rahimullah)

But Allah knows best
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 11:34pm On Jan 01, 2017
snapscore:
‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab said:

“We used to say that this Ummah will be doomed by knowledgeable hypocrites.” [Al-Wilaayah ‘Alaa Al-Buldaan, 1/142]

Wwoow...The emboldened!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 11:36pm On Jan 01, 2017
AbuHammaad:

Wow! Interesting stuff! I never knew he was Persian

Some scholars are of the opinion that he was more knowledgeable than Malik (rahimullah)

But Allah knows best
Wallahi that's what I've been hearing about, in fact Imam Malik respected him so much.

I was surprised to discover that other madhabs existed apart from the four!

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 11:40pm On Jan 01, 2017
Demmzy15:
Wallahi that's what I've been hearing about, in fact Imam Malik respected him so much.

I was surprised to discover that other madhabs existed apart from the four!

I dey tell you. I never knew until 3 years ago. You can only know some of these things listening to knowledgeable people

As far as I'm concerned, the IRK curricula in Nigerian schools need to be re-designed especially the ones for SSS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 11:51pm On Jan 01, 2017
AbuHammaad:

I dey tell you. I never knew until 3 years ago. You can only know some of these things listening to knowledgeable people

As far as I'm concerned, the IRK curricula in Nigerian schools need to be re-designed especially the ones for SSS
Wallahi Akhi, most schools still use that A'eesha Lemu's textbook.

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 11:54pm On Jan 01, 2017
Demmzy15:
Wallahi Akhi, most schools still use that A'eesha Lemu's textbook.

cheesy grin cheesy grin

The book is not bad really. It's just not comprehensive enough

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 12:05am On Jan 02, 2017
AbuHammaad:

cheesy grin cheesy grin

The book is not bad really. It's just not comprehensive enough
Akhi, there was something I recently discovered. You know Persia was praised alot by the Prophet(May the Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon Him), in fact they accomplished a lot for Islam, so for the first 900years they were Ahl Sunnah but since the reign of the Safawids they were forcefully converted to Shiism. I actually thought we've lost Persians until I discovered that many of them are still clinging to Ahl Sunnah, some mountainous regions in Iran were able to fight off Safawids.

Also there are millions in Afghanistan who speak Dari, a type of Persian language, just like Oyo Yoruba dialect and Egba dialect. There millions in Tajikistan, thousands in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan. I was relieved, Alhamdullahi, we haven't lost the Persians.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Please Advise Me On My Proposed Marriage. / 82 Christians Convert To Islam In Modakeke Osun State (Video) / Nine Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.