Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf (21103 Views)

Who Are The Salaf? / Needs A Salaf Who Is Also A Professional Plumber / How The Salaf Dealt With The People Of Desires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 12:36am On Jan 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
Akhi, there was something I recently discovered. You know Persia was praised alot by the Prophet(May the Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon Him), in fact they accomplished a lot for Islam, so for the first 900years they were Ahl Sunnah but since the reign of the Safawids they were forcefully converted to Shiism. I actually thought we've lost Persians until I discovered that many of them are still clinging to Ahl Sunnah, some mountainous regions in Iran were able to fight off Safawids.

Also there are millions in Afghanistan who speak Dari, a type of Persian language, just like Oyo Yoruba dialect and Egba dialect. There millions in Tajikistan, thousands in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan. I was relieved, Alhamdullahi, we haven't lost the Persians.

Brilliant!

I used to think they were indigenous to just Iran alone until recently.

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 7:21am On Jan 02, 2017
AbuHammaad:

Aamin. I love him so much hence the constant referencing grin

Na'am, I love him for Allaah's sake too. When Allaah loves his Abd, the malaikah and other creations also love that individual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 12:46pm On Jan 02, 2017
The wife of Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaani Rahimahullah, Umm al-Fadl, was asked:

Being the wife of this noble scholar, did you see that his knowledge, seeking knowledge and teaching it to the people took away from his co-existence with you as the head of your household?

She replied:

I thank you for your warm sentiments and I want to let you know that seeking knowledge would not prevent the Shaykh from carrying out any of his family obligations. Rather, the total opposite was true. For he, may Allaah have mercy on him, was an exemplary head of a household, cooperating with his family.

And believe me, my son, he used to help me a great deal in the household chores such that I would feel embarrassed in front of him due to it. So much so that one time he was cleaning the patio with me, to which I said, ‘O Shaykh! Don’t disgrace me in front of the neighbours, they will say that you are doing your wife’s work.’

He replied, ‘This is not a disgrace. Don’t you know that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam would be at the service of his family?’

[Source: لقاء مع ام الفضل زوجة الشيخ الألباني رحمه الله A sitting with Umm al Fadl The Wife of Shaykh al Albaanee Rahimahullah]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AideeSheks(m): 1:48pm On Jan 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
The wife of Shaykh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaani Rahimahullah, Umm al-Fadl, was asked:

Being the wife of this noble scholar, did you see that his knowledge, seeking knowledge and teaching it to the people took away from his co-existence with you as the head of your household?

She replied:

I thank you for your warm sentiments and I want to let you know that seeking knowledge would not prevent the Shaykh from carrying out any of his family obligations. Rather, the total opposite was true. For he, may Allaah have mercy on him, was an exemplary head of a household, cooperating with his family.

And believe me, my son, he used to help me a great deal in the household chores such that I would feel embarrassed in front of him due to it. So much so that one time he was cleaning the patio with me, to which I said, ‘O Shaykh! Don’t disgrace me in front of the neighbours, they will say that you are doing your wife’s work.’

He replied, ‘This is not a disgrace. Don’t you know that the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam would be at the service of his family?’

[Source: لقاء مع ام الفضل زوجة الشيخ الألباني رحمه الله A sitting with Umm al Fadl The Wife of Shaykh al Albaanee Rahimahullah]
Exemplary!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 6:19pm On Jan 02, 2017
It is reported that Imâm Layth b. Sa’d – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Even if I saw a heretic (follower of bid’ah) walk on water, I would not accept him.” This was reported to Imâm Al-Shâfi’î – Allâh have mercy on him, to which he replied, “He didn’t go far enough. Rather, if I saw one walk in the air, I would not accept him.”
Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl ‘I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah Vol.1 p228; Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol2. P175; Ibn Al-Jawzî, Talbîs Iblîs p14 – with slightly variant wordings.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 02, 2017
Amoto94:
It is reported that Imâm Layth b. Sa’d – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “Even if I saw a heretic (follower of bid’ah) walk on water, I would not accept him.” This was reported to Imâm Al-Shâfi’î – Allâh have mercy on him, to which he replied, “He didn’t go far enough. Rather, if I saw one walk in the air, I would not accept him.”
Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl ‘I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah Vol.1 p228; Ibn Battah, Al-Ibânah Al-Kubrâ Vol2. P175; Ibn Al-Jawzî, Talbîs Iblîs p14 – with slightly variant wordings.

WAllaahi some of the "salafis" we have today are too lenient...
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:04pm On Jan 03, 2017
Sαℓαf Athαr:
Upon the authority of Imaamul Auwzaa’ee [who lived in Shaam, the area of Syria] who said:

❝Qataadah wrote to me from Basrah [Modern day Iraaq] saying: 'Even though our lands have caused a separation between me and you, the uniting factor of Islaam brings us together.'❞

[Collected By Imaamudh Dhahabee In Siyar A’laamin Nubalaa, (7/121) | Translated By Abu Hakeem Bilal Davis]

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2017
Shaykh Al-Albaanee Said:
"To prevent girls from learning how to read and write means to violate their rights."
[Silsilah as-Saheehah v.1 p.347]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Demmzy15(m): 12:09am On Jan 07, 2017
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 9:51pm On Jan 07, 2017
*From the Fruits of Sincerely Seeking Knowledge*
It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Adham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
Whoever seeks knowledge sincerely, for the servants of Allāh to benefit by and to benefit himself, then being hidden (from fame) is more beloved to him than seeking loftiness. He is the one who becomes more lowly to himself, strives more in worship, fears Allāh more, yearns for Allāh more, and becomes more humble amongst people. He cares not what he has of this dunyā night or day.
Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 1653
Translated by: Owais al-Hashimi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2017
“May my hand be paralysed if I ever hit my wife.” — Shurayḥ an-Nakha’i (one of the salaf), Al-Ahkam 1/462.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2017
Qaasim al-Joo’ee said:

“I advise you with five matters: (1) when you are treated unjustly, do not behave unjustly; (2) when you are praised do not become happy; (3) when you are criticised, do not become upset; (4) when you are not believed, do not become angry; (5) and if the people act deceitfully towards you, do not act deceitfully towards them.” [Related by Ibn al-Jawzee in Sifatus-Safwaa, 2/200]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2017
Yahyâ b. Yahyâ Al-NaysâbûrÎ reports:

I was once with Sufyân b. ‘Uyainah – Allah have mercy on him, when a man came to him and said, “O Abû Muhammad, I complain to you of so-and-so”, meaning his wife, “I am the lowest and most despicable thing to her.” [Sufyân] lowered his head for a few moments, then said, “Perhaps you wanted her in order to better your status.” The man said, “Indeed, o Abû Muhammad.” Sufyân said, “Whoever goes for glory will be tried with ignominy, whoever goes for wealth will be tried with poverty, but whoever goes for religiousness, Allah will bring together for him glory and wealth with the religion.” He then started to narrate to him:

We were four brothers: Muhammad, ‘Umrân, IbrâhÎm and I. Muhammad was the eldest, ‘Umrân was the youngest, and I was in the middle. When Muhammad wanted to marry, he desired status and married a woman of higher standing, so Allah tried him with ignominy. ‘Umrân desired wealth, so he married a richer woman and Allah tried him with poverty: [her family] took everything from him and gave him nothing.

I pondered their situation. Mu’ammar b. Râshid once came to us so I consulted him on the situation and told him the story of my brothers. He reminded me of the hadÎth of Yahyâ b. Ja’dah and the hadÎth of ‘Â`ishah. The hadÎth of Yahyâ b. Ja’dah states that the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – said, “A woman is married for four things: her religion, her status (lineage), her wealth or her beauty; so take the religious one and be successful.” The hadÎth of ‘Â`ishah states that the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – said, “The most blessed woman is she who is easiest to maintain.”

Thus, I chose [to marry a woman of] religion and modest dowry, in accordance with the Sunnah of Allah’s Messenger – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him, and Allah gave me status and wealth along with the religion.

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 7:289, 290.

Note
The first hadÎth is recorded by Al-BukhârÎ and Muslim. The second is found in Al-Nasâ`Î and other collections but has been graded weak by scholars including Shaykh Al-AlbânÎ. However, scholars point out there is another narration that supports and adds to its meaning. This hadÎth states:
It is from the blessing in a woman that she has an easy dowry, an easy proposal [via her guardian] and an easy womb (i.e. she is fertile and bares children without difficulty). One of the reporters of this narration, ‘Urwah, said “And I say from myself, one of the first signs of evil from a woman is for her to have a high dowry.”
This hadÎth is recorded by Imâm Ahmad and others and is graded hasan by Shaykh Al-AlbânÎ.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2017
Ibn `Umar(radiallaahu anhu) used to say, "If you survive till the evening, do not expect to be alive in the morning, and if you survive till the morning, do not expect to be alive in the evening, and take from your health for your sickness, and (take) from your life for your death."(related by Bukhari)

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 2:42pm On Jan 10, 2017
Sufyan Ibn Uyaynah (rahimahullaah) was asked: ”Who are the people most in need of seeking knowledge? He said: The most knowledgeable of them, because their mistakes are uglier.”

[Jaami Bayaan Al-Ilm: 1/193]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 10, 2017
AbuHammaad:
Sufyan Ibn Uyaynah (rahimahullaah) was asked: ”Who are the people most in need of seeking knowledge? He said: The most knowledgeable of them, because their mistakes are uglier.”

[Jaami Bayaan Al-Ilm: 1/193]

i see so much sense in this....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Amoto94(m): 7:58pm On Jan 13, 2017
Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah, rahimaglhu ALLAH said:
“Whoever thinks that he can simply take from, the Book (the Qur'ān) and the Sunnah without,following the Sahābah [the companions of the Prophet ﷺ, may Allāh be pleased with them], and pursues a path other than theirs, is from the people of innovation.”
[Mukhtasar Al-Fatāwā Al-Misriyyah p556]

3 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 10:24am On Jan 14, 2017
Please stop derailing the thread by quoting from people who are not from the generations of the salaf-us-salihin.

Ibn Taymiyyah and Al Albaani are not from that era.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 14, 2017
Shaikh Al-Islam Ibn Taimiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“Some people have the disease of criticizing all the time. They forget the good about others and only mention their faults. They are like flies that avoid the good and pure places and land on the bad and wounds. This is because of the evil within the self and the spoiled nature.”

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 14, 2017
Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

‎"Let not your tongue mention the shame of another, for you yourself are covered in shame, and all men have tongues. If your eye falls upon the sin of your brother, shield them and say ‘O my eye all men have eyes."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 11:57am On Jan 14, 2017
The greatest truth is honesty, and the greatest falsehood is dishonesty.

- Sayyidina Abubakar, radiyAllahu anh

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 10:04pm On Jan 20, 2017
shawl:
Please stop derailing the thread by quoting from people who are not from the generations of the salaf-us-salihin.

Ibn Taymiyyah and Al Albaani are not from that era.

They are not from the first gen but they still are our salaf (literally) cos they are our predecessors

And they are salafis.

2 Likes

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 22, 2017
يقول عبد الله بن المبارك: إن الإسناد من الدين، ولولا الإسناد لقال من شاء ما شاء

Abdullâh bin al-Mubaarak used to say: verily the isnad(chains of transmission) is part of the deen(Islam), were it not for the isnad, anybody would have said what he wished.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 9:14am On Jan 22, 2017
AbuHammaad:

They are not from the first gen but they still are our salaf (literally) cos they are our predecessors

And they are salafis.
The word 'salaf' or 'salaf' as salihin', as we all know, is used to refer to the Muslims of the first three generations whom the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi WA salam, has indemnified from deviation.

The word 'salafi' or 'salafism', though in reference to 'salaf' is an entirely new word which came about not more than 200 years ago.

So you should change the topic heading accordingly but there is no way adding to salaf people who are not from the salaf as made clear by the Hadith of the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi WA salam.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 9:29am On Jan 22, 2017
shawl:

The word 'salaf' or 'salaf' as salihin', as we all know, is used to refer to the Muslims of the first three generations whom the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi WA salam, has indemnified from deviation.

The word 'salafi' or 'salafism', though in reference to 'salaf' is an entirely new word which came about not more than 200 years ago.

So you should change the topic heading accordingly but there is no way adding to salaf people who are not from the salaf as made clear by the Hadith of the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi WA salam.

Lol I get your point and I just think it's pointless explaining to you what I actually meant because we are saying the same thing. Mine is literal, yours is more specific.

1 Like

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 9:56am On Jan 22, 2017
AbuHammaad:

Lol I get your point and I just think it's pointless explaining to you what I actually meant because we are saying the same thing. Mine is literal, yours is more specific.

No we are not saying the same thing.

The word 'salaf' or 'salaf as salihin' is established whereas the word 'salafi' or 'salafism' is newly introduced.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 10:02am On Jan 22, 2017
shawl:

No we are not saying the same thing.

The word 'salaf' or 'salaf as salihin' is established whereas the word 'salafi' or 'salafism' is newly introduced.

Salafus saalih is the first three generations. The best of generations. Yes! We know that.

What I'm saying is the literal meaning of salaf in Arabic terms is "predecessor". "Those before us". They are better than us, they are more knowledgeable than us and they are older than us. The likes of Ibn uthaymeen, Ibn Baz , Al Albani are salaf to the present set of Shuyookh. Ibn Abdul Wahhab was a salaf to these 3. Are you getting me? I was trying to make my point in linguistic terms but it's like you just want to argue.

And no, the word "salafi" is not a recently introduced word. It's been used by scholars in different books. I guess you think everything started with ibn Abdul wahhab . Ibn Rajab used the word salafi to describe one of his teachers same as Imam Ad Dhahabi and many other scholars. If you want it, tag me on another thread

Anyway, I'm not interested in any argument on this particular thread. I don't want to derail. We'll do that somewhere else. Thanks smiley
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 2:34pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ok.

To me, thread will only make real sense if it is dedicated to relay the narrations from muslims whom the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam, has declared their assertions to be protected from from deviations, pure and genuine. The salaf as salihin.

But if this is how you want it fine and good. But bear in mind that quotations you get from outside of those generations could be poison coated with honey as warned by the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam.

AbuHammaad:

... Ibn Rajab used the word salafi to describe one of his teachers same as Imam Ad Dhahabi and many other scholars.

That is still well into the era of doubt, as per second half of islamic age to date.

AbuHammaad:

I guess you think everything started with ibn Abdul wahhab

I know it didn't start from him.

It started around the age of the scholars you mentioned above (a la madhhabi ideology), fanned by him (Abdul Wahhab) a couple of centuries later (a wahhabi movement). Developed later (in the last 200 years), almost in a continuous chain, by the likes of Muhammad Abduh, Muhammad Rashid Reza, Al Albani, Bin Baz etc into the 'salafism' of today.

Now there are lots of unending controversies about many of the people in context already which would eventually lead to derailment of the thread. That is my concern about the thread, not to start an arguement.
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 2:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
shawl:
Ok.

To me, thread will only make real sense if it is dedicated to relay the narrations from muslims whom the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam, has declared their assertions to be protected from from deviations, pure and genuine. The salaf as salihin.

But if this is how you want it fine and good. But bear in mind that quotations you get from outside of those generations could be poison coated with honey as warned by the prophet, sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam.

That is still well into the era of doubt, as per second half of islamic age to date.

I know it didn't start from him.

It started around the age of the scholars you mentioned above (a la madhhabi ideology), fanned by him (Abdul Wahhab) a couple of centuries later (a wahhabi movement). Developed later (in the last 200 years), almost in a continuous chain, by the likes of Muhammad Abduh, Muhammad Rashid Reza, Al Albani, Bin Baz etc into the 'salafism' of today.

Now there are lots of unending controversies about many of the people in context already which would eventually lead to derailment of the thread. That is my concern about the thread, not to start an arguement.

I get your point and I agree for the most part. That's the aim of the thread. If you go through all my posts on this thread, you'd realize almost all the stories and sayings are from the first three generations

I think other posters have done the same thing bar 2 or 3 posts. Thanks for bringing that to my attention
Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 3:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
It was hinted to Abu Yazid (Bayazid) that in a certain place a great teacher was to be found. He came from afar to see him. As he approached, he saw the reputed teacher spit in the direction of Mecca (Qibla). He at once retraced his steps.

"If he had achieved anything at all in the way," he remarked, "he would never have been guilty of trans- gressing the Law.'"

- Bayazid Al Bistami, r.a.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by shawl: 6:38pm On Jan 22, 2017
Acquaint yourself with fewer people, and as a result, you will backbite less frequently.

- Sufyan ath thawri

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sayings and Stories Of The Salaf by AbuHammaad: 7:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
shawl:
Acquaint yourself with fewer people, and as a result, you will backbite less frequently.

- Sufyan ath thawri

Word!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between ALLAH And ALLAHU? / Seven Beautiful Characteristics Which Make A Wife Exceptional / Occult Activities Of The Jinn.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.