Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Tell Us About Your Favourite Book - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Tell Us About Your Favourite Book (20864 Views)

The 48 Laws Of Power- Which Of The Laws Is Your Favourite? / Get Updates About Your Favourite Missing Writer / Tell Us About The Best Stories You've Ever Read On NL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 8:37am On May 08, 2016
Books? Men I have a lot of favorites but let's start with; The Testament, The Client, The Rainmaker, The King of Torts and Pelican Brief all by John Grisham. I also love Davinci Code and Angels and demons by Dan Brown. I love books written by this two authors because they make me think and question a lot of things

Cc
Mrsphyno
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ranchhoddas: 8:38am On May 08, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:
Meeen this is difficult . I have read so many great books...Lemme see.....
Id say 'The Godfather'
Favorite quotes will be 'Great men are not born great, they grow great.' and "Luca Brasi did not fear the police, he did not fear society, he did not fear God, he did not fear hell, he did not fear or love his fellow man. But he had elected, he had chosen, to fear and love Don Corleone."
'Always allow your friends to underestimate your value and your enemies to overestimate your faults'.There is one other quote from the godfather I like though I think it's from the sequels...'Do not write if you can speak,do not speak if you can nod, and do not nod unless you have to'.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Dripy(m): 8:42am On May 08, 2016
MrsPhyno:
Heyyy everyone: this is a simple as it sounds. Write the title of your favourite book of all time and tell us some interesting characters, quotes or moments...

My favourite book is "The King of Attolia"; I first read it when I was about 13 even tho I think it's for age 18 and up. I was quite the adventurous child grin

So basically it's about some genius thief who marries a queen who had previously cut his hand off (that being the punishment for thieves in the midcentury shocked). It's the third book in a series. Its cool and wry and sarcastic and deep. This guy was maimed by that queen and later went to fall in love with her. It's as complex as life is. Has a lot of politics and war strategy weaved through it too.....

But my favourite quote from the book is very melodramatic and sentimental and romantic grin
Tell me you won’t cut out my lying tongue, tell me you won’t blind me, you won’t drive red-hot wires into my ears.”
After one moment of gripped immobility, the queen bent to kiss the king lightly on one closed eyelid, then on the other. She said, “I love your eyes.” She kissed him on either cheek, near the small lobe of his ear. “I love your ears, and I love”—she paused as she kissed him gently on the lips—“every single one of your ridiculous lies.

cc: Estharfabian Adaeze003 KingEbukasBlog shut Blossom023 lalasticlala and everyone else na abi d thread is boring embarassed
The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
"My Racheal, my Ruth and my Beersheba, thou sum of fabled Perfection, from Genesis to Revelation, listen not to the voice of this infidel"
Books by Robert Ludlum is dope esp The Matarse circle.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 8:42am On May 08, 2016
AM a Shakespearean
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ranchhoddas: 8:43am On May 08, 2016
The Robert Langdon Series.Oga Brown,when is the next one coming out?

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by SilvanusII(m): 8:45am On May 08, 2016
Silumi:
My favourite books of all time is redeeming love by francine rivers the book expresses God's love as it should b, pure, not dependant on good works, a love that understands and a love dat never gives up, a love dat holds on to the very end and a love that redeems us.......... I recommend d book for you all get a copy and catch a glimpse of d agape love d saviour has for you.
My favourite quote was "take my hands take what u lack frm me let what i ve make d difference" God is the one HU makes a difference in our lives... Peace pple

I never really liked the Redemption Series. Too...cliche. I read Echo in the Darkness and LOVED it. I re-read it like u'd play a favorite song on repeat. You shud read that. I've been meaning to read the prequel and sequel, but as per loving osho free books and not being the kind of books i'd spend my money on to buy, its on hold for now.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ranchhoddas: 8:48am On May 08, 2016
richardohiemi:
Wow I can't believe no one has mentioned the incredible George R.R Martin's a song of ice and fire collection ....with the first book titled the game of thrones!!! all the way to a dance with dragons!!...the book is way bigger than the miniature universe they've created in the tv series....with characters like the new targeryan boy... Rhaegar and Elia Martell's son,Ser Jon Connigton,Victarion Greyjoy,Euron and so many others.....i'll advice Grab the books soon and allow your mind soar through Winterfell straight down to the wall,move on to sisterton join manderly at white harbour,travel with Samuel Tarly all the way to Oldtown,Move to Dorne where the new Targeryan dude will raise his banners join Ser connington at Griffin's roost then land finally at westeros and witness the murder of Ser Kevan lannister by Varys so called spiders!!!...Other books worthy of note are of course Harry potter series,Lord of the Rings by j.r.r Tolkien,stormlight series by Brandon sanderson and the name of the wind by Patrick rothfuss
ASOIAF is also very great.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Dirkcoyt: 8:55am On May 08, 2016
Age of REASON-JEAN-PAUL SARTRE
Dirty hand - ,,
Black Orpheus - ,,
The word- ,,
The childhood of a leader- ,,
The wall- ,,
The Prince ——-———Nichols Machiavelli [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by olajide8(m): 8:57am On May 08, 2016
Darey00:
I am a book freak. My top books and quotes will have to be:

1. Wary Transgressor by James Hadley Chase.. man i love this book. It tells a story about an army deserter in Milan trying to get a living and at the same tine trying to get an American passport,legally or illegally. The ending was shocking sha.

Quote: (Hennessy) well the General is the worst of the lot. A single dirt on his ashtray and you are in 2 weeks hard labour

2. Black Boy by Richard Wright: this autobiography of a boy living in the American south when racial segregation was still a thing

3. HARRY POTTER SERIES.. my fav character would ne Lord Voldermout. lol

4. Animal farm by George Orwell
Fav quote: ALL MEN ARE EQUAL,BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN THE OTHERS

5. The Narrow Path by Francis Selormey

6. Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER

7. Chike and the River by Chinua Achebe

8. Without a Silver spoon (forgot the author)

9. Eze goes to school

10. akin the drummer boy
11. second chance

2 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Ranchhoddas: 8:57am On May 08, 2016
Darey00:
I am a book freak. My top books and quotes will have to be:

1. Wary Transgressor by James Hadley Chase.. man i love this book. It tells a story about an army deserter in Milan trying to get a living and at the same tine trying to get an American passport,legally or illegally. The ending was shocking sha.

Quote: (Hennessy) well the General is the worst of the lot. A single dirt on his ashtray and you are in 2 weeks hard labour

2. Black Boy by Richard Wright: this autobiography of a boy living in the American south when racial segregation was still a thing

3. HARRY POTTER SERIES.. my fav character would ne Lord Voldermout. lol

4. Animal farm by George Orwell
Fav quote: ALL MEN ARE EQUAL,BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN THE OTHERS

5. The Narrow Path by Francis Selormey

6. Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe

WHEN I WAS YOUNGER

7. Chike and the River by Chinua Achebe

8. Without a Silver spoon (forgot the author)

9. Eze goes to school

Without a silver spoon by Eddie Iroh.Characters like Ure Chokwe and Erugo Iyama
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by deeway200(m): 9:06am On May 08, 2016
The return journey
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 9:08am On May 08, 2016
Dan Brown's Trilogy wins it for me.. Angels and Demons, the Da Vinci Code, The Lost Symbol. Suspense, Mysteries, Facts.. I like his narrative style.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 9:10am On May 08, 2016
Seunvense:
Pls do you have the softcopy of these books you mention and any other books? Please kindly send them to this email vincentoluwaseun@gmail.com...Thanks. 'Same here pls, vboytendency@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by 0gbeni(m): 9:17am On May 08, 2016
mine is The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald.. i first read it when i was 15 and i make sure to read it once every year

for folks averse to reading, the movie is quite good, one of the best movie adaptations I've seen

favourite quote? its "Gatsby believed in the
green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter--tomorrow we
will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...."
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Pedrogold(m): 9:25am On May 08, 2016
Ahhhh lemme think...so many of them but to talk of "The mayor of casterbridge" that's the best I've read of recent (some days ago) . It's about a man who got drunk and sold his wife and daughter to a sailor for four pounds, only to regain consciousness the following day. He became rich and was made a mayor thereby making it easy for his lost family to locate him. He would have been successful if not for pride, anger and Jealousy that tormented the good out of his life thereby making him loose everything he had including his family.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Tirexy(m): 9:36am On May 08, 2016
Black Boy by Richard Wright
Tell freedom by Peter Abrahams
And I read one novel when I was young The passport of mallam Ilia. I like and I have been looking for it.
Even kings are guilty to mention but a few
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by erekking(m): 9:39am On May 08, 2016
ANIMORPHS definitely my favoritebook of all time b4 harrypotter

Then most of john grishams books u can think of my favorite beign A PAINTED HOUSE & THE RAINMAKER & SKIPPIN CHRISTMAS.

LIONS GAME BY NELSON DEMILLE.

THE BOURNE ; ULTIMATUM, CONSPIRACY which he co-wrote
ICARUS AGENDA BY ROBERT LUDLUM

DAVINCI CODE, ANGELS AND DEMONS, INFERNO,THE SYMBOL BY DANBROWN.

THE SEVEN BOOKS OF HARRYPOTTER BY "YOU KNOW WHO" (MISS J.K)

A few of the NARNIA CHRONICLES BY CS LEWIS

THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy by J.R TOLKIEN

LLOYD ALEXANDER'S IRON RING,MARVELOUS MISADVENTURES OF SEBASTAIN AND THE TIME CAT

The books where written by geniuses who crafted them masterfully and no page of these books will ever bore you am sure.

My favorite of all ANIMORPHS BY KA APPLEGATE. #53 books each book not exceeding 175 pages i think and up to ten prequels and sequels. Very interesting novels about 5 teenagers and an alien and they had an ability to morph or turn into any animals given to them by an alien to fight an alien invasion.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by HaneefahRN(f): 9:48am On May 08, 2016
Hmmmm, very tough question.
Sidney Sheldon - Are you afraid of the dark
A cowrie of hope by Binyangwe ,a Zambian author
Joys of Motherhood and dizzy angel
The Borne Trilogy by Robert Ludlum
James Hardley Chase - There is a Hippie on the highway, The World in her pocket, the vulture is a patient bird.

The first novel I read in Pry 3 or 4 written by a Ghanian writer, can't remember the title now. I was so sorry I lost the book. Told the story of a rape victim. Very emotional and lovely book.

Recently fell in love with Robert Thier,The Robber knight trilogy, Storm and silence series
And lots more
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by mayor007(m): 9:50am On May 08, 2016
I don't have a favourite book but I do have books I can recommend.
1. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
2. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
3. All The Lights We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
4. The Nightingale - Kristen Hannah
5. Disaster Capitalism - Naomi Klein
6. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khalid Housseini
7. I Am Malala - Yousafzai Malala
8. The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho
9. 1984 - George Orwell
10. House Rules - Jodi Picoult

It is not fair to tell people to single out a book. I just had to narrow it down to ten which is still too small.

So many dope books across different genres by a lot of authors.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by UjSizzle(f): 9:52am On May 08, 2016
If you've read more books than you've lived, how do you pick a favourite?

3 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by roqchiq(f): 9:52am On May 08, 2016
Gmajor:

seriously ?
I bet you read only the first book in the series. I've read 9 out of 12 and i must say that the books are dry. The first one was good but after that the series went downhil

"You know nothing, Gmajor". I just finished reading warheart, its the last in the series. Try it, you'll like it. "severed souls and third kingdom" is Haaaaammazing!!!

I love anything fantasy....when I read a book or watch I movie, I want to be transported away from the norm. That's why I started with fairytales....Enid Blyton, Grimms, etc.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by UjSizzle(f): 9:53am On May 08, 2016
mayor007:
I don't have a favourite book but I do have books I can recommend.
1. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
2. Crime And Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
3. All The Lights We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
4. The Nightingale - Kristen Hannah
5. Disaster Capitalism - Naomi Klein
6. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khalid Housseini
7. I Am Malala - Yousafzai Malala
8. The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho
9. 1984 - George Orwell
10. House Rules - Jodi Picoult

It is not fair to tell people to single out a book. I just had to narrow it down to ten which is still too small.

So many dope books across different genres by a lot of authors.
I have 1,3,4,6,7,8 in my library. Hoping to get through them in a short while.

Have you read Khaled's Kite Runner?
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 9:54am On May 08, 2016
My favourite book is Digital fortress by Dan brown. Read the book two years back. Its all bout deception, cryptology,romance and free masonry.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by huthman74(m): 9:57am On May 08, 2016
purple hibiscus
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Darey00(m): 9:58am On May 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Without a silver spoon by Eddie Iroh.Characters like Ure Chokwe and Erugo Iyama

yeah!!!
"Chokwe! my boy!!"

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by DOWHILE: 10:03am On May 08, 2016
Ain't no such thing as "favourite" when it comes to reading. Read according to my mood at that particular mo............Lobsang Rampa "living with the Lama" this is weird but cool. Judith Macnaught"Double Standards", Sidney Sheldon, Agatha Cristie, just name it.....plus James Hardley Chase. Mehn, I can't remember how many of dis dude's books I've read.#TeamJamesHardley

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Excallibur(m): 10:04am On May 08, 2016
Davinci code, angels and demons ,the lost symbol ,inferno, digital fortress, deception point, the eight.i cant pick a favourite
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Excallibur(m): 10:07am On May 08, 2016
Adaobi12:
My favourite book is Digital fortress by Dan brown.
Read the book two years back.
Its all bout deception, cryptology,romance and free masonry.
UjSizzle:

I have 1,3,4,6,7,8 in my library. Hoping to get through them in a short while.
Have you read Khaled's Kite Runner?
Adaobi12:
My favourite book is Digital fortress by Dan brown.
Read the book two years back.
Its all bout deception, cryptology,romance and free masonry.
i love anything by dan brown
Hav u read deception point
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by stubbornman(m): 10:08am On May 08, 2016
please who has this book ", the cocaine connection by Ibe kachikwu" I've looked for it but can't find to...anyone with useful info please let me knowembarassed
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 10:09am On May 08, 2016
Excallibur:
i love anything by dan brown
Hav u read deception point
yea, lost symbol, Angels and demons , Da vinci code, am reading the inferno now.
Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by Nobody: 10:18am On May 08, 2016
Robert Greene- 48 laws of power Nicholo machiavelli- The. Prince If you love power, Deception and lil bit of Romance

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Favourite Book by boomii(f): 10:25am On May 08, 2016
My favourite book (s)......As crow flies, Cain and Abel......infact any book by Jeffrey Archer smiley

Other authors....Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, Ted Dekker, CS lewis, J K Rowlings

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photos | Chimamanda's Americanah Featured In Orange Is The New Black / Deleted Post / What's The Worst Grammatical Error You Have Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.