Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Revamping Groundnut Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Revamping Groundnut Farming In Nigeria (820 Views)

Groundnut Farming / Groundnut Farming Made Easy: The Complete Guide To Starting A Groundnut Farm. / Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Revamping Groundnut Farming In Nigeria by splendor00(f): 9:25am On Jan 29, 2016
Hello everyone. so i found this post and i thought i should share. I will jst post some of it and you can continue reading here. https://jemangblog./2016/01/03/revamping-groundnut-farming-in-nigeria/

In the past at the mention of groundnut farming, the first picture that pops into your head would be the great groundnut pyramids in Kano. Nigeria’s agricultural sufficiency could not be mentioned without calling out the pyramids. In fact, Nigeria was the world’s largest exporter of groundnuts in the 1970’s.

These pyramids were a glorious sight to behold, they attracted a lot of tourist at the time and they were a sign that a farmers produce was booming. Today, these pyramids have been reduced to nothing and have now been replaced by roads and buildings. Does it mean in any way that Nigeria has lost its capacity to produce groundnut in large quantities? The answer is NO.
It is even considered wrong to say the groundnut pyramid days were the “glory days”, because Nigeria produces more groundnuts now than it did back then, even though export ratios are lower today (due to various reasons. some of which I have stated below).

These pyramids were like an open-air warehouse erected from groundnut, that was moved from neighboring villages and heaped in sacks at Dala, Kano state, until agents/exporters would take them to Lagos in preparation for shipment outside Nigeria.

One would understand that the introduction of modern warehouses has replaced these pyramids. I mean, why would you move your produce all the way to Kano before taking it down to Lagos for shipment, when you can equally arrange for pick-up right from your farm or warehouse? Also at that time, there were very limited means of transportation and only a few people or companies were able to move so many bags of groundnut at the same time. But it is totally different today as the number of truck owners and haulage companies are on the increase.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Set Up A Small Scale Feed Mill / Cif Price / Appa Wood Available For Sale In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.