Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48668 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 12:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

174 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by omisakint: 12:19pm On Jan 29, 2016
cool.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by brainzdh(m): 12:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
Wow! The highlight for me is giving the 'Cleaner' a trial, that's awesome. This is the kind of testimonies that would sound like a lie.

178 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by kachnov(m): 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2016
...interesting,the rot in the system is kinda annoying.Good one for the cleaner.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by obinna2nv(m): 12:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
Wow what odds.. That cleaner must be serving a living God!! Its incredible...

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by autolearner: 12:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
Learning Isn't about going to school but tapping into the wealth of experiences around. That was what shone off the said cleaner. He/She has seen and learnt from his immediate environment. Kudos to the man who invited the cleaner in!

"Ti Ewe Ba Pe Lara Ose, Ose Lo Ma Da". - "When a Leaf Stays Too Long On a Soap, It Becomes a Mini Soap"

36 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
Your multinational company deserves that though...you restrict applications to just the individuals with 2:1/ first class.

What do you expect?

I have been to so many interviews since i got back and yeah "my numerical skills is poor" but there is alot of potentials in certain individuals who just need the opportunity to showcase it.

Regardless, i am happy the 'cleaner' made it. And i bet you, he will excel greatly with this opportunity given to him.

Bless!!!

136 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 12:48pm On Jan 29, 2016
makky04:
Your multinational company deserves that though...you restrict applications to just the individuals with 2:1/ first class.

What do you expect?

I have been to so many interviews since i got back and yeah "my numerical skills is poor" but there is alot of potentials in certain individuals who just need the opportunity to showcase it.

Regardless, i am happy the 'cleaner' made it. And i bet you, he will excel greatly with this opportunity given to him.

Bless!!!

Funny enough there was NO such restriction. I myself had a 2:2 in school, and still got a job with them. So no excuses here.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by dejianu: 12:55pm On Jan 29, 2016
hmmm well play... that is how you pple do say, coming in here to write jaguns... So You are an Inyerviewer and you use words like WTF... What is the name of the multinational company you work for, if not GNLD multinational...

train your cleaner and make him serve you more... smh

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by PubLlcEnemy(m): 12:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Well like you said he had better answers becos he has worked for your company long enough. So what else do you expect? You that is "Mr know it all" will find yourself in some organisations and fields and see how dumb and daft you are when they ask you some questions. Why didn't you ask them questions relating to their fields of study? I am sure when you too were a graduate you didn't even know these questions you are asking them.
always quick to open those smelling mouth in criticism.

197 Likes 15 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jan 29, 2016
'Since the Hunter has learnt to shoot without missing, the Birds have learnt to fly without Perching'. in other words, since the Labour market is all about Grades Nigerian students have devised various means of Graduating with Good results without acquiring knowledge in the Process

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by firstking01(m): 1:05pm On Jan 29, 2016
That's the problm with our dear country nigeria...must be a graduate recruitment syndrome, wth 2.1, i'm not saying you shouldn't employ graduates...but always try to look just beyond certificates undecided...cos i believe there's a lot of peopl out there who can fill in that position very well...all they need is just a few weeks training, hence the person can speak and write very well...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by firstking01(m): 1:06pm On Jan 29, 2016
That's the problm with our dear country nigeria...must be a graduate policy of recruitment, i'm not saying you shouldn't employ graduates...but always try to look just beyond certificates undecided...cos i believe there's a lot of peopl out there who can fill in that position very well...all they need is just a few weeks trainig, hence the person can speak and write very well...

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Abdujapha(m): 1:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
What's the name of your organisation?

monacobull:

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Kelklein(m): 1:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
@op, monacobull or whatever you call yourself

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

Good luck to your cleaner cos that's who you deserve

Iranu..everybody dey talk..2.2 sef dey open im mouth vomit rub.bish

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
This land is not for sale
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Well like you said he had better answers becos he has worked for your company long enough. So what else do you expect? You that is "Mr know it all" will find yourself in some organisations and fields and see how dumb and daft you are when they ask you some questions. Why didn't you ask them questions relating to their fields of study? I am sure when you too were a graduate you didn't even know these questions you are asking them.
always quick to open those smelling mouth in criticism.

Do you find anywhere in the post where it says the kind of questions we asked? How did you conclude the questions were not in line with their field? You are a typical example of the type we get to interview and just wonder.

34 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

So i take it that you have something against 2:2 graduates then?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by LordMecuzy(m): 1:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
Your story isn't adding up

6 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:17pm On Jan 29, 2016
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by PubLlcEnemy(m): 1:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Do you find anywhere in the post where it says the kind of questions we asked? How did you conclude the questions were not in line with their field? You are a typical example of the type we get to interview and just wonder.

Maybe you need to read ur post again. I wonder how you expect someone who has no experience to answer questions about a company better than a cleaner who has been working and observing activities of that company for years.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Tallesty1(m): 1:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
I am glad you guys gave him a chance.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Maybe you need to read ur post again. I wonder how you expect someone who has no experience to answer questions about a company better than a cleaner who has been working and observing activities of that company for years.

Well a word of advice. Any candidate should make a quick check on what a company is about. Interviewers don't expect you to be perfect but to at least have a basic knowledge of the company. Its as easy as going to the company website and checking the ABOUT US page. Simple. And for your information NO QUESTIONS were even asked based on product knowledge. You can keep making empty excuses or see reason. Your choice.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by PubLlcEnemy(m): 1:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Well a word of advice. Any candidate should make a quick check on what a company is about. Interviewers don't expect you to be perfect but to at least have a basic knowledge of the company. Its as easy as going to the company website and checking the ABOUT US page. Simple. And for your information NO QUESTIONS were even asked based on product knowledge. You can keep making empty excuses or see reason. Your choice.

Most times you sent interview or tests invites anonymously. And even when you post your company name unless they are multinationals there are usually very little information about them online. So stop trying to justify your ineptitude.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

Oga you dont need to highlight in red for me to know you are pained. undecided

13 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Kelklein(m): 1:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

So i take it that you have something against 2:2 graduates then?
the issue here is not what I have for anyone's grade

it's about people like you( a product of the same system o) who come online to say nigerian graduate this, Nigerian graduate that

what is wrong with you advising your company to see how they can pick some, like 4 or 5 of the thousands that must have applied to ur sh*tty vacancy, then take some time to tailor them to your taste

but no..they are looking for ready-made graduates

sorry..the same way there are no ready-made jobs out there... there are no ready-made graduates too

tell ur dumb boss that!

76 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Most times you sent interview or tests invites anonymously. And even when you post your company name unless they are multinationals there are usually very little information about them online. So stop trying to justify your ineptitude.

You should win an OSCAR for MR ASSUMER OF THE YEAR. LOL. Never seen anyone that assumes so much. Whew. Im done with you. smiley

4 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
the issue here is not what I have for anyone's grade

it's about people like you( a product of the same system o) who come online to say nigerian graduate this, Nigerian graduate that

what is wrong with you advising your company to see how they can pick some like 4 or 5 of the thousands that must have applied to ur sh*tty vacancy, then takw some tome to tailor them to your taste

but no they are looking for ready made graduates

sorry..the same way there are no ready-made jobs out there... there are no ready made graduates too

tell ur dumb boss that!

1. Telling you i have a 2:2 is to serve as motivation for people with that class of grade. There is hope for them. Not sure how you are viewing it.
2. A company looking for only ready made graduates will never give a cleaner a chance. So i think our company ethic deserves some credit for that.
3. Are you sure you are fine? You seem to have so much bile to spill. Im genuinely concerned for angry people. cry

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
but the kind of evil people spew here amazes me.

for sharing his experience, op got this serious bashing.

you guys are the bomb. continue, pwc will employ you through nairaland

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 1:34pm On Jan 29, 2016
twoondei:
but the kind of evil people spew here amazes me.

for sharing his experience, op got this serious bashing.

you guys are the bomb. continue, pwc will employ you through nairaland

LOL. I tire o.

13 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by DgRaNdShErifF(m): 1:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

I am astoundingly nonplussed on how you used the words "Nigerian graduates" so loosely when you happen to be one.

I'm afraid you are a big disgrace to the universe.

68 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.