Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48679 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
@op, monacobull or whatever you call yourself

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

Good luck to your cleaner cos that's who you deserve

Iranu..everybody dey talk..2.2 sef dey open im mouth vomit rub.bish

Umm there is no shame in being a cleaner. While in college, I used to clean toilets at a fast good place. Everyone has to start somewhere. If cleaning is a man's start, then where is the dishonor in that? There is only dishonor in letting your family starve because of pride. Pride comes before a fall.

4 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by vault(m): 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2016
suddenly given a cleaner a trial......
God's blessing or fake story undecided
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2016
obinna2nv:
Wow what odds.. That cleaner must be serving a living God!! Its incredible...

Oh please
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by matiuni: 3:45pm On Jan 29, 2016
Monacull, stop wasting your time responding to everybody here.In 2002;I sat in an interview panel where we were only able to get 2(Two) successful candidates to employ out of about 20(Twenty) candidates interviewed.Some could not even define the course or remember the the recommendations they made to solve the problems they identified in the project they submitted to earn 2.2 or 2.1 as the case may be.Some responses here are clear indication of how unserious some youths of this country had become.I hope the white men will not colonise us again.

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Bishops10(m): 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

Bro abeg vacancy deh your company?....I deh find place to do my I.T
Help a brother in need please
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
MadCow1:

I don't doubt you..

But in the case of the OP's story, it came out of nowhere. the recommendation to try the cleaner was raised by an out of station employee (Someone from a different branch). If the story was such that the cleaner has been interacting with the guy for a period and the guy had studied the cleaner, then I can understand.

But again, stranger things have happened..

I get you now, Lol @ madcow funny moniker
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by sucobaba(m): 3:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
Well I think there's no way one can truly look at this scenario without been objective.

Firstly congratulations to the cleaner for grabbing the opportunity (if the interviewee's doors weren't closed...his won't opened).

Secondly,the OP's organisation also should be commended....including the senior staff who suggested the cleaner. He could have had encounter(s) with that cleaner prior to the interview and felt he deserve an opportunity. He could also in a way as a senior staff "influenced" the process just to give the cleaner a chance (either way..it was the cleaner's lucky day).

Thirdly the OP's use of "Nigerian Graduate" in this context is the harsh truth. There are some graduates that embarrasses that tag "graduate", one just wonder where and how they got their certificates from. Yes educational standard has fallen as with most facet of our lives compared to some decades ago.......BUT there are EXCEPTIONS albeit few.

The OP should have just used MOST graduates rather than generalising.

Life is in phases,turn by turn and we (including I) will share our testimonies.

God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Dan1el: 3:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
Op if ur story is true can u pls try me before making ur conclusion. some of us still burn late night candle. I can send u my email address
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by klassic(m): 3:55pm On Jan 29, 2016
the truth is most under graduates dont read to understand, they only study for examination purposes i.e, memorize and pour it out on exam day . more of garbage in garbage out. and after school, they dont even remember anything concerning their field of study. they dont make out time to read or upgrade their intellect and the truth is if you dont upgrade your intellect frequently, you lose what you have in there. simple truth.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by elektois: 4:01pm On Jan 29, 2016
If this monacobull truly has a job, I don't expect him to have the time for all these responses.. Yet he keeps responding.
My observation tho.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by stonecoldcafe: 4:01pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Funny enough there was NO such restriction. I myself had a 2:2 in school, and still got a job with them. So no excuses here.

What sort of questions did you ask the graduates? What did they say wrong? Don't just lambaste, add your 2cent (helpful tips) for others.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 4:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
elektois:
If this monacobull truly has a job, I don't expect him to have the time for all these responses.. Yet he keeps responding.
My observation tho.

cut me some slack, its friday cool

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by joseph1832(m): 4:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

You'll do a lot more good by telling us the questions you asked the interviewees, so they can arm themselves just for the sake of future reference.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by wtfCode: 4:04pm On Jan 29, 2016
niggas hate reading these days
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by elkonS: 4:06pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

1. Telling you i have a 2:2 is to serve as motivation for people with that class of grade. There is hope for them. Not sure how you are viewing it.
2. A company looking for only ready made graduates will never give a cleaner a chance. So i think our company ethic deserves some credit for that.
3. Are you sure you are fine? You seem to have so much bile to spill. Im genuinely concerned for angry people. cry
hello Sir... plss don't mind all dose pple saying rubbish
...I'm a final year student and I can attest to wat u are saying....I'm actually inspired by ur grade.... infact our educational system needs salvation... God bless

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ephi123(f): 4:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
Why do people get so defensive anytime there are posts about the quality of graduates being produced today? We all know standards have fallen, the earlier people face the reality of accepting feedback and picking one or two lessons from shared experiences, the better.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by tranxo(m): 4:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

Can you now see the difference between local mindset and Oyibo mindset? We too believe in paper qualification. Oyibo believes more in who can do the job.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
Monacobull, i can bet any amount of money you are not a graduate!

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
You are probably a messenger there and you don't have any idea about who a graduate is...
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by chccho(m): 4:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Well like you said he had better answers becos he has worked for your company long enough. So what else do you expect? You that is "Mr know it all" will find yourself in some organisations and fields and see how dumb and daft you are when they ask you some questions. Why didn't you ask them questions relating to their fields of study? I am sure when you too were a graduate you didn't even know these questions you are asking them.
always quick to open those smelling mouth in criticism.
U are a classic example of the 6 graduates that couldn't scale through or beat the cleaner in a job interview.

y? because u only went to school, that school didn't go through u..sorrry

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by stephano100(m): 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
Jwelee:
Some times such selection might be based on man no man.
There are very intelligent graduates who even came out with a pass or even a third class.
But cannot be taken because they do not have the expected buttons to press.
I think it is high time companies/Establishment stopped opting for graduates with first class only.
Anyways, kudos to the cleaner. I think he was only able to because he is used to the office operations, environment and faces.
I kindly apply o, statistician internship/economist. I have a 2.2. I dey gidigba.
u studied
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
Op, from your post i can deduce that your brain is so dull, you talk about 2.2 as if you even know the meaning? If i happen to meet you one on one i can drill you with questions so that u realize how empty you are!
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ephi123(f): 4:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

I think this was part of the problem. Candidates were not selected based on their own merits / what they could offer.

P.S. - Ignore the insults and abuses people are throwing, unfortunately that is the case with Nairaland these days.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Davotee(m): 4:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
dejianu:
hmmm well play... that is how you pple do say, coming in here to write jaguns... So You are an Inyerviewer and you use words like WTF... What is the name of the multinational company you work for, if not GNLD multinational...

train your cleaner and make him serve you more... Smh
BBAM! I SWEAR U SABI DIS PPL AND DIA WAYS.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by monacobull: 4:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
From your post i can deduce that your brain is so dull, you talk about 2.2 do you even know the meaning... If i happen to meet you one i can drill you with questions so that u realize how empty you are!

You cant meet me.

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by sauceEEP(m): 4:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
Funny thread with deadly punchlines.... grin

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Ochek: 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

What would have been more acceptable words? I'd like to know. Learning never ends.

Nonplussed sounds so smooth. New one to my vocabulary.

As for disgrace....well.. LOL to that

I'm seriously wowed at strength and level of your calmness @ attending to all the beef response on this thread. I wish half of us could exhibit such in handling different ppl from all background and NL plus Nigeria would be a better place.
Tanku

4 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Seeeeeeee: 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:

You cant meet me.
yea i know because you are so dumb..

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by caesaraba(m): 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
Brunel:

Hello, you shouldn't be saddened because of comments from Nairalanders, most of those who rush to comment and talk down/bully others here are actually jobless and intricately unemployable.
So, don't let this weigh you down, truth is there are millions of Nigerian youths round the world who are excelling from the formal to the informal sector.
Take the good, ignore the bad, advance in your pursuit of happiness.
Cheers.

Exactly. You got that right.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by gmacnoms(m): 4:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
sauceEEP:
Funny thread with deadly punchlines.... grin
asin eh? D punchlines aren't friendly @all
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kelklein:
@op, monacobull or whatever you call yourself

you and your interview team should hide your head in shame for your inability to properly explore and get the graduates with 'good' brains out there..(yes..your sh*tty GNLD company doesn't deserve the 'best' brains)

so don't come here next time to insult all Nigerian graduates because of your stupidity and incompetence

Good luck to your cleaner cos that's who you deserve

Iranu..everybody dey talk..2.2 sef dey open im mouth vomit rub.bish

The best comment I have read here all day.

Monacobull or whatever you call yourself. I believe you and your colleagues are clearly not the best Recruiters around.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by princezzlolly(f): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2016
Nonsense post, rubbish multinational company...........mtcheewwwww!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.