Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. (12824 Views)

Is It Good To Monitor My Social Media Life Before You Hire Me? / Are You Jobless? Post What You Can Do, Add Skills And Qualifications. / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by techIslet: 12:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
Its been a while seeing different opinion/argument about social media life, personal life and career.

As much as i support the motion that the social media have big impact not only on our career but our life as a whole, It still baffles me how some people have turned deaf hear to the facts and figures of the happenings about and around this topic.

Let’s dive into this and learn together;

The Old Trend

For years, HR department have been doing their job with much stress trying to know whom you are, what you are, your flows and other things about you with questionnaires, references and other forms of research.

I have been part of two firms HR and some how in employment decision making of other firms. I see the truth about the questionnaire or research thing, its simply corporate gambling… we keep believing we are getting facts, what we believe is your (employee) fate… The best scenario we could have is someone that knows you that can share his/her view about you with us, without you knowing we spoke to such person. Thus the Social Media came to our aid.

The New Trend

Four(4) in every Five(5) Human Resource (HR) personnel are now running to the internet to aid their research about a prospective employee. An employer that goes online would base alot of fact about your personal life, social media life, and career on not less than 40% of your social media accounts, thus the percentage may vary up or down depending on your career type, level and what service(s) is required of you.

Source: Your Social Media life might render you jobless. [VIDEO]

It’s normal that not everyone will support a motion. I have heard different argument saying;

My social life is totally different from my normal life
I only do those things on social media for fun
My BBM status/PM is just to create conversation and scare haters
I could continue the list but let me stop here.

Let’s also forget about listing the obvious bad life some of us live online, of course we see them everywhere, and let me point out two facts until i do my next post about same topic.

Your real self is when no one is watching you: We wrongfully think social media (e.g: BBM) is private because we are either chatting in the Conner of our room alone or twitting from the toilet. dear brethren, you have to think again.
If you live a different life on social media, you will scare the employer: It is simply delivered has, you may still have another type of life to live if offered employment which smart employers won’t look away from, thereby making is a tougher one to get the job.
So what about the peeps whom are not socially active, wait for my next post about this topic. But before we have the next post, what’s your view about one of the most arguable social media topic;

Does your social media life have effect on your career or original life ? Share your view in comment.

Source: Your Social Media life might render you jobless. [VIDEO]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Abirisegun(m): 1:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
This is interesting. Nice one op

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by serendipityF: 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2016
Lol, please tell them

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 30, 2016
What if I use a different name and number to open my account online. There is no way they can find out.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 10:39pm On Jan 30, 2016
Lol. Nice piece OP!

Please tell them! I mean the person above and the ones below... lol.

But we are partially safe on NL unlike Facebook and LinkedIn. Still, it doesn't mean we should act here as if we are loosed dogs, so uncivilized and uncultured. I love the popular saying "Live in the secret as you would in the open", my rule on Social Media.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by techIslet: 5:46am On Feb 18, 2016
amicable09:
Lol. Nice piece OP!
But we are partially safe on NL unlike Facebook and LinkedIn. Still, it doesn't mean we should act here as if we are loosed dogs, so uncivilized and uncultured. I love the popular saying "Live in the secret as you would in the open", my rule on Social Media.

@ amicable09 thanks for this "Still, it doesn't mean we should act here as if we are loosed dogs"

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
techIslet:

@ amicable09 thanks for this "Still, it doesn't mean we should act here as if we are loosed dogs"
You are welcome tech. You just found this thread today? It's a little old though still relevant. Great piece with invaluable wisdom!

**** modified**** Oh! You are the original poster! Bravo again.

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 18, 2016
Insightful! Front page worthy. Lalasticlala
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
True, I was hired by a firm based on my linkedin profile.

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
ok
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by neweraomo: 2:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
Do u have a job? grin cheesy
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by kilokeys(m): 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Thank God.. NAIRALAND IS NOT ON THE LIST

2 Likes

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by mrlaw93(m): 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Who cares?
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by ITSAWRAPP: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Very true
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by hrworld: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Totally agreed.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Lincoln275(m): 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by richardjemedafe1(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
ops
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Kingkamal(m): 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
though am working but is 80% truth i got many jobs offers online
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
Good luck let's see if they understand all the technical tweets I post on Twitter esp when arguing tech stacks

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by ChappyChase: 2:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
serendipityF:
Lol, please tell them
You nkor?!

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by MosquitoLaps(m): 2:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
I just shake my head at peeps who don't post anything other than "Haters! F.uck you!" I mean, who are you, and what have you accomplished thus far that makes you call out your perceived haters all the time?
With the rate at which the Naira is falling, some "wise" folks still go about posting rubbish on social networks.

Na wah

2 Likes

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by dunkem21(m): 2:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
grin Your social media life can also land you a job ..

Ask ngeneukwenu grin

Buhari wants to appoint me simply because I have only one NL moniker tongue

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Tobilastik(m): 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2016
Alright
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Asito(m): 3:00pm On Feb 19, 2016
Op thank you. ill be sure to delete my Facebook, Twitter, IG and nairaland accounts before applying for a job.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Jimmyo3(m): 3:02pm On Feb 19, 2016
f
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by DetectiveDeb: 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
Pics: Security Guard Got his Head Smashed Following confrontation at Psquare house.

http://www.amkkay.com/2016/02/security-guard-got-his-head-smashed.html
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Empredboy(m): 3:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
MicTayor:
What if I use a different name and number to open my account online. There is no way they can find out.
employers are not fools. It's takes thief to know thief. When it's time you will understand.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 19, 2016
This is why I behave like I do.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Guyman02: 3:05pm On Feb 19, 2016
Tolu Ogunlesi got a job as President Buhari's media Assistant for calling GEJ 'Ineffectual Buffoon' in the Economist.

So in Nigeria it is almost opposite.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 19, 2016
SMH.. even my girlfriend does not know am on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Dav77(m): 3:07pm On Feb 19, 2016
Good development, but I wouldn't see that as a perfect yardstick to evaluate individual personality,beside the best way to evaluate individual still remain personal interaction with the person involve.

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 3:10pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:
Lol. Nice piece OP!

You're wrong. I doesn't take one who wants to know about you anything to know about you here.

We leave traces of ourself online whether we know this or not, I for one can bear testament to this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kaduna State Roads Agency (KADRA) Recruitment 2018 - Apply Now!! / Sabmiller Plc Latest Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / Help Me Choose Which Job Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.