Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 (15378 Views)

Are You Interested In Farming This Year? / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Final Lap Of Cassava Farming For 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by fayahsoul: 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2016
jasper7:

You are missing the point here... I didn't argue that the government does not have a part to play. All I am saying is that if you are WAITING for government, get ready to wait for a long time.
No you are the one missing the point. There cannot be a national paradigm shift in the current system of agric production if the government isnt involved. Anything short of that and you end up with an ordinary business venture that will benefit opportunists like you while the vast majority of farmers remain hoodwinked and worse of.

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by FarmTech(m): 10:37pm On Jan 31, 2016
fayahsoul:

No you are the one missing the point. There cannot be a national paradigm shift in the current system of agric production if the government isnt involved. Anything short of that and you end up with an ordinary business venture that will benefit opportunists like you while the vast majority of farmers remain hoodwinked and worse of.
For now, I think this is a matter of how many farmers' life did u affect positively. Maybe when the govt see it wking they'll key in - if they like.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by mcsnup: 10:50am On Feb 01, 2016
Newway2:

I also doubt the workability of this plan because of the peculiar nature of Nigeria farmers. They will simply take your trainings, inputs e.t.c, use it for a while & abandon you. Go & ask Guinness PLC, Lever Brothers (& other companies that have tried it in the past) why they had to have their onw farm or import their agricultural needs.
if lever brothers and Co attempted and failed is no reason to cross hand and say it wouldn't work. All u need do is ask, why did they fail?
@jasper these are fine ideas, for these to work a lot of questions and work is needed.... You would be needing people, series of research and meetings because Nigeria's present policy is set to frustrate you.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by fayahsoul: 2:50pm On Feb 01, 2016
FarmTech:

For now, I think this is a matter of how many farmers' life did u affect positively. Maybe when the govt see it wking they'll key in - if they like.
hmmm...I see. Slow motion is better than no motion type things. Ok na.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Juliana7: 11:11pm On Feb 01, 2016
@jasper, nice one. A practising farmer going out with such a lofty idea. I hail u, keep d flag flyimg
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by REUBEN010(m): 4:26am On Feb 03, 2016
Hello room. sorry to derail the thread.
Pls I'm in urgent need of long pod green beans for cultivation. Here's my call line if you happen to have it. 08189461144. Thanks.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Pavore9: 5:29am On Feb 03, 2016
REUBEN010:
Hello room. sorry to derail the thread.
Pls I'm in urgent need of long pod green beans for cultivation. Here's my call line if you happen to have it. 08189461144. Thanks.
Why not post the picture.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Prodeegee(m): 11:05am On Feb 03, 2016
Lovely. So help you God bro
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by jasper7(m): 4:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
Prodeegee:
Lovely. So help you God bro
Thanks Master cheesy
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by REUBEN010(m): 9:14pm On Feb 05, 2016
Pavore9:
Why not post the picture.
I've gotten a means of purchasing it already sir. Thanks for your concern
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Pavore9: 10:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
REUBEN010:

I've gotten a means of purchasing it already sir. Thanks for your concern
OK. I guess you were refering to French beans or Snap beans.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by millhouse: 9:30am On Feb 06, 2016
Nice one Jasper
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
jasper7 have you checked out the "2016 Entrepreneurship Challenge"? It's sponsored by Richard Branson and facilitated by British Council amongst others. If you need funding for your ideas, I think you should register. Deadline is tomorrow.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Abidex35(m): 9:45am On Feb 10, 2016
this is indeed a laudable project, I can see all my bosses in action.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by router123(m): 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2016
jasper7:
My 2nd project for the year... Is my foreign exchange project. Setting up a cocoa plantation. I need cocoa money. Cocoa is the biggest non-oil export.

I used to be afraid of cocoa farming because of the disease issue. But I have been doing my research and things are looking good.
I have serious interest in the hard currency it attracts and my children will be born to inherit my investment.

5,000 hectares by 2020 is the target.
Can I do it? Yes? No? I think I can

Jasper pls am willing to partner in my little way in dis project. Pls hala me on 08131360160. U can whatsapp me 2
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by PreciousFarms: 11:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
Well done @ Jasper7 but do you also know that ShopRite Nigeria Limited also sales some foreign Fresh food In our Major Cities in Nigeria.....We must break that Foreign Goods Chain Then We could welcome ours and Export mightily to the foreign country just as we did it in those 90s. We have good potentials in Farm and Quality Food Production
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by chines4(m): 11:55pm On Feb 10, 2016
There is equally need for us to focus on food processing too. All the value chain, can't we export finished products?
YES we can
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by joinnow: 12:48pm On Feb 11, 2016
jasper7:
My 2nd project for the year... Is my foreign exchange project. Setting up a cocoa plantation. I need cocoa money. Cocoa is the biggest non-oil export.

I used to be afraid of cocoa farming because of the disease issue. But I have been doing my research and things are looking good.
I have serious interest in the hard currency it attracts and my children will be born to inherit my investment.

5,000 hectares by 2020 is the target.
Can I do it? Yes? No? I think I can
Hello Jasper,
When are we going to get our wealth creation model right. Must we always produce raw material for other nation to convert OK finish goods. Soon cocoa price will fall like oil and nobody will want to buy rather let think of converting our already raw materials eg cocoa to finish product. Instead of only thing in thinking of producing raw materials

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by GoldHorse(m): 9:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Nothing is impossible!
@jasper Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!!!
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by bxcode(m): 12:09pm On Feb 23, 2016
Each time I look at the future, agriculture is the sure thing because our economy can never go back to those buoyant days again with only oil as the chief exporter. Mr Jasper7 I hope you haven't relented on this idea oo. I have told myself that am only working for someone for about 4-5 years after which am going into agriculture, food processing and storage full time.
God bless our efforts
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by egopersonified(f): 5:55am On Feb 28, 2016
Wow, thanks to nairaland, I planned on starting a small poultry. Then the borders were closed last year to frozen chicken and I got the idea to source locally bred chicken and process them. I discovered there were Farms that sell already dressed chicken, that was how I started my processing, packaging, branding and distribution business. Right now, this business pays all I and my three kids' bills, my salary untouched. And I am only working at this with 5% of my time. Have being tempted to resign but family and friends keep telling me it's too early to take that step.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by jasper7(m): 12:48pm On Feb 28, 2016
egopersonified:
Wow, thanks to nairaland, I planned on starting a small poultry. Then the borders were closed last year to frozen chicken and I got the idea to source locally bred chicken and process them. I discovered there were Farms that sell already dressed chicken, that was how I started my processing, packaging, branding and distribution business. Right now, this business pays all I and my three kids' bills, my salary untouched. And I am only working at this with 5% of my time. Have being tempted to resign but family and friends keep telling me it's too early to take that step.
I am happy to hear about your success. It really warmed my heart this sunday Morning. May I add, if you feel up for it. QUIT! At a certain point you have to risk it.

You can start creating your own network of poultry farmers. Make arrangement. It's a whole world of opportunities out here. See you at the top!
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by solreb: 3:00pm On Feb 28, 2016
Newway2:

Now, this is a viable venture. But also, how do you preserve at such outlets? Our hot climate does not allow us leave these product at room temperatures, they will simply rot away. As I said: In my own little research, I found out we can implement simple preservation methods/technique that suit our unique condition/climate in Nigeria & that will solve this problem.
We can collabo on this

Gents I am very much interested. I agree totally with you that PRESERVATION IS THE KEY. If we can identify key products and establish the preservation process/implement we can invest as long as the profitability is good. We buy the products at farm gate prices (possibly at better rates), stock up and preserve and distribute to our outlets. Getting investors both local and foreign is not a problem once there is a solid biz plan. I can be contacted at aakala28@gmail.com whataspp 08032372245. I suggest jasper7 that you create a whatsapp group.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by egopersonified(f): 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2016
jasper7:

I am happy to hear about your success. It really warmed my heart this sunday Morning. May I add, if you feel up for it. QUIT! At a certain point you have to risk it.

You can start creating your own network of poultry farmers. Make arrangement. It's a whole world of opportunities out here. See you at the top!

Thank you so much, I see so much potential in this business that I have to pinch myself sometimes, it's threads like this that gives me so much courage.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 29, 2016
egopersonified:

Thank you so much, I see so much potential in this business that I have to pinch myself sometimes, it's threads like this that gives me so much courage.

Hello egopetsonified
Can I send you a pm about this?
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by egopersonified(f): 3:11pm On Feb 29, 2016
salsera:

Hello egopetsonified
Can I send you a pm about this?

Replied.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Vodkka(m): 9:37am On Mar 01, 2016
Nice one.... I want to b a part of dis Mr jasper7
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by kaystick86(m): 4:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
jasper7:
We need fresh food outlets springing up in every major city. Just as ww have fast foods everywhere.

When I did the numbers with my business analysis team... The profit was off the roof. I had to call my investors and alert them of an opportunity they can tap into.

I am tired of buying my food from a dirty market. I woukd rather by from a place as neat as KFC.

I got to discover that the reason food is really expensive in Nigeria is because of the number of hands that our food have to pass through before it gets to our kitchen.

Farmer >> Marketer>> Distributor >> Wholesaler >> Retailer >> Consumer

The chain is too long... Each step adding their ridiculous profit margin. Thereby escalating the price. And leaving the farmer impoverished. See why I want to quit farming?

I want to make it a 3 step process
Farmer> Distributor>Consumer

Allowing the farmer to get good money for his endeavours. Abd allowing the consumer get quality with a fair price.

Can I do it? Maybe
Bros, I admire your thinking.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by LekinsRibirth(m): 5:53pm On Mar 15, 2016
I'm currently studying Agricultural Economics and Extension services in school..
But my parents have already given up on me.. They think I can't achieve anything in venturing into Agriculture.
So sad!
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by REUBEN010(m): 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently studying Agricultural Economics and Extension services in school..
But my parents have already given up on me.. They think I can't achieve anything in venturing into Agriculture.
So sad!
The worst will be when you start giving up on yourself. I'm also a student of Agricultural economics and extension and up till this moment, I've never regretted studying under the discipline. Never give them an opportunity to say 'I warned u earlier'.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by kennykg(m): 3:08am On Mar 17, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
So sad!
I studied computer science and currently working for a major telecommunications company and I wish I studied agriculture, if only you know how much I do believe in agriculture you just a gold mine yourself. .. I don't mind if you can coach me or trade places

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Izzymore Agro & Allied Services / Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment / Hybrid Maize Seed Available

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.