Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja (41932 Views)

Soldiers Demolish Old Barracks In Suleja, Niger State (Photos) / Construction Of A 4-bedroom Bungalow For My Mom...all Bedroom Ensuite. / Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 8:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
Good evening my Nairalander, I present to you the construction of a low cost three bedroom flat in suleja ( niger state), a satellite two close to Abuja.

Name of designer = abdulwastecx
Client = abdulwastecx (a Nairalander)
Location = suleja gra, back of city link/golden touch hotel.
Duration of work = unknown.
Building type = small three bedroom flat (with two toilet).
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 9:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
Building location : the building is situated on a 50x 50ft plot of Land, in a very good location for meddle to low income earners.

The infrastructure is this area is outstanding and it includes, stable electricity, 24 hours water supply and a very secure location.

The layout is great, hence, materials are easy to get to site.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 9:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
Building design : the house is designed to accommodate a small middle class family of four to five, with the following information
1. Living room =15ft x 16ft
2. Master's bedroom = 15ff x 12ft
3. Children room =12ft x 12ft
4. Visitors/ study room = 100ft x 10f
5. Master bedroom toilet and bath = 5ft x 8ft.
6. General toilet = 4ft x 12ft
7.kitchen and dinning
8.small entrance porch

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by johnson232: 9:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
wow!
this is lovely... smiley

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 9:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
See one: site clearance and setting out using profile board.

Flr this small setting out, we use the following materials
1. Three bundle of 900mm high peg.
2. 20 profile board ( 2 x 2 soft wood)
3. Nail, builder square, line, 6ft plumb, claw hammer etc.
4 . carpenter and one Labour
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by officialteemi(m): 9:27pm On Jan 29, 2016
following..learning.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 9:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
Day one: setting out using profile board.
Question: how do we transfer what we have on our paper to the ground without any noticeable errors

We have a building plan ( as shown below), we do the following to get our setting out done within 3hours.

1. Remeasuring the plot to conform what we have on the site plan using a 50m plastic tape.

2. We set out the building line ( front of the building) by offsetting 9ft from the fence.

3. We use these two point from the building line ( front to set out the other two point at the back.

4. We offset 1.2m from these four stations ( four peg point) to get four corner point of our profile.

5. Lines are placed from these for point to get all the pegs on which the profile will be placed run the building .
6. The pegs are spaced in such a way that each profile take three pegs.

Then, the building plan is transfer to this profile from the drawing

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Building location : the building is situated on a 50x 50ft plot of Land, in a very good location for meddle to low income earners.

The infrastructure is this area is outstanding and it includes, stable electricity, 24 hours water supply and a very secure location.

The layout is great, hence, materials are easy to get to site.

Nice plan. No ensuite. Seems open plan though so concerned with kitchen ambience.

I don't see the 2nd exit in an easily accessible place, seems to be inside the master. I think code requires direct access from all occupants.

I like the plan though very petite.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by olumide4christ: 10:06pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Day one: setting out using profile board.
Question: how do we transfer what we have on our paper to the ground without any noticeable errors

We have a building plan ( as shown below), we do the following to get our setting out done within 3hours.

1. Remeasuring the plot to conform what we have on the site plan using a 50m plastic tape.

2. We set out the building line ( front of the building) by offsetting 9ft from the fence.

3. We use these two point from the building line ( front to set out the other two point at the back.

4. We offset 1.2m from these four stations ( four peg point) to get four corner point of our profile.

5. Lines are placed from these for point to get all the pegs on which the profile will be placed run the building .
6. The pegs are spaced in such a way that each profile take three pegs.

Then, the building plan is transfer to this profile from the drawing

Nice step by step and precise lecture, keep on the good work.
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Nice plan. No ensuite. Seems open plan though so concerned with kitchen ambience.

I don't see the 2nd exit in an easily accessible place, seems to be inside the master. I think code requires direct access from all occupants.

I like the plan though very petite.

Good observation.
Only the master bedroom is ensuit, the children room and occasional guess room will use the toilet/ baths along the corridor.
The space to the left will be use to access the 50 x 50 at the back, hence the owner demand to have one exit door in the master bedroom.

The kitchen and dinning are open to each other in a good way. Traditionally, most home don't use dining room again, it's better to have them joined together with the kitchen to save partition wall and money

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
Abuja and it's environs is a good place to sources for building materials like gravel.
30 tonne gravel goes for around 65k
30 tonne sand around = 35k
30 tonne stone dust = 55k
Cement plus transportation = N1500

Material purchase to site
1. 30 tonne of gravel (19.5mm)
2. 30 tonne sharp sand
3. 50bags of cement

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
Excavation of foundation: the excavation was done manually.
Total gird to be excavated : 196m
Width of excavation 675mm
Depth of excavation = 600mm

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
Due to the nature of the soil, it was very difficult to dig more than 450mm to around 500mm. The soil is stiff clay and the site is relatively higher than the road.

Casting of foundation
1. Total length of strip footing =96m
2. Width of footings =675mm
3. Depth of footings = 150mm
4. Mix ratio =1:3:6 (by mass)

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
Foundation block work.

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
More from the foundation block work

1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by karleone(m): 10:43pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Due to the nature of the soil, it was very difficult to dig more than 450mm to around 500mm. The soil is stiff clay and the site is relatively higher than the road.

Casting of foundation

Sir, I've asked a question concerning the relevance of head courses in structures but you never replied my mention. That aside, as a young civil/structural engineering graduate who has interest in building construction and wishes to learn (cos he's a substructure novice), is it necessary to place reinforcement bars along the strip before placement of concrete?

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
More from foundation block work

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 10:59pm On Jan 29, 2016
karleone:

Sir, I've asked a question concerning the relevance of head courses in structures but you never replied my mention. That aside, as a young civil/structural engineering graduate who has interest in building construction and wishes to learn (cos he's a substructure novice), is it necessary to place reinforcement bars along the strip before placement of concrete?

I am sorry for not answering your mention.
To answer your first question.
1. Head beam/course is compulsory in a building because it serve as horizontal tie to link all the columns together, help to distribute roof load to the supporting columns and wall and also also tie the roof to the structure through a connector that is placed on the concrete.
For load bearing wall, it help to distribute roof truss load which may serve as point load on top of the sancrete portions. this point load when not distributed courses wall cracking.

2. Is it necessary to place reinforcement on the trip footings before placement of concrete?

There are two types of strip footing
. Normal strip footing
. Reinforced wide strip footing
The normal strip footing doesn't require reinforcement and it is used when the soil is relatively strong ( high bearing capacity, low settlement etc) and when wall load intensity is low.

Reinforced wide strip footing is a footing design to carry load bearing wall and it'a reinforced to cater for bending and settlement along the foundation length

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by johnson232: 11:19pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Casting of foundation
very neat job as usual my able engr.

my questions;
is it 196m or 96m?
how many bags of cement, tons of sand and gravel did u use for the footing?
thanks.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 11:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
johnson232:

my questions;
is it 196m or 96m?
thanks.

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by fkj950ax(m): 11:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
@abdulwastec
Thanks for the tutorial.
Watching it till it pans out.

Please can you share the technical and architectural plans of the project.

Will like to replicate this project .

What is the projected cost for everything excl land
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by johnson232: 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:

what about other questions sir
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 11:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
johnson232:

my questions;
is it 196m or 96m?
thanks.

96m
Bags of cement = around 30bags .
Can't really tell Bouton sand because we bought 30tonnes and we still plenty left, likewise for gravel.

Note: site conditions vary, dry land with good soil property supporting a light partition wall consume much less material than those built on poorer soil.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by johnson232: 11:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:

96m
Bags of cement = around 30bags .
Can't really tell Bouton sand because we bought 30tonnes and we still plenty left, likewise for gravel.

Note: site conditions vary, dry land with good soil property supporting a light partition wall consume much less material than those built on poorer soil.
thanks.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 29, 2016
If the final picture shows the final coach of the foundation wall them I'm jealous my oga grin

You'll need very little filling. I've spent N300k (340 tons) on laterite on my "little garage" site cheesy
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 11:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
fkj950ax:
@abdulwastec
Thanks for the tutorial.
Watching it till it pans out.

Please can you share the technical and architectural plans of the project.

Will like to replicate this project .

What is the projected cost for everything excl land

You know it will not be polite to do share someone building plan. I can produce similar one for you at reasonable cost.

The projected cost of the project will vary greatly if this house is built I the east or west because so any variable like cost of materials.
Here 30tonne of gravel is 65k, similar gravel will cost me 165k in anambra and about 200k in Port Harcourt.

Digging of the foundation was done for 20k, it will cost up to 45 to 50k in the east.

In summary, this building will cost between 4-6million to achieve what I have on the three dimensional drawings.
1.long span aluminum roofing sheet
2 . sliding Windows,
3. Tiles of around N1200/square meters
4. Pop ceiling for living room and dining, and pvc ceiling for other rooms.
5.polyatyrene fascia
6.interlocked compound
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 11:48pm On Jan 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:
If the final picture shows the final coach of the foundation wall them I'm jealous my oga grin

You'll need very little filling. I've spent N300k (340 tons) on laterite on my "little garage" site cheesy

That is one of the problem with the way we built.
There is a terzaqi equation use to determine depth of foundation and such depth is control by water table and some other soil parameters.

If your site is relatively higher than the access road you don't need to raise your house too high.

If your site is not a sloping terrain, you don't need to raise your house too high

If your area is not prone to flooding, you don't need to raise your floor too high.

If I have a soil strata where, say from NGL to say 2m the soil is firm clay and the water table is around 3m below. Assuming I want to build a small bungalow with wall load of say 10kN/m, such foundation can be founded between 600mm to 2000mm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by abdulwastecx(m): 11:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The biggest problem with your type of foundation will be lateral pressure building up on those sub structural wall above ground level. these walls will act like retaining walls and they are not thag strong to retain the filled foundation, this may cause ss them to shift away.

You may need to ring/tie them up with a beam and filled the block below with week concrete. (oga spyder is doing excellently well with in this regard)

Another problem is settlement, most filled experience settlement after sometimes due to poor compaction. The higher the filled the more likely to settle
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 29, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That is one of the problem with the way we built.
There is a terzaqi equation use to determine depth of foundation and such depth is control by water table and some other soil parameters.

If your site is relatively higher than the access road you don't need to raise your house too high.

If your site is not a sloping terrain, you don't need to raise your house too high

If your area is not prone to flooding, you don't need to raise your floor too high.

If I have a soil strata where, say from NGL to say 2m the soil is firm clay and the water table is around 3m below. Assuming I want to build a small bungalow with wall land of say 10kN/m, such foundation can be founded between 600mm to 2000mm.

You're absolutely right.

My builder said the same things that you did but I bought a plan that I loved and didn't want to modify it so I ended up forcing a round peg into a square hole.

This has been a great personal learning experience and I continue to thank you pros in the house for pulling us along as understudies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by Nobody: 12:04am On Jan 30, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The biggest problem with your type of foundation will be lateral pressure building up on those sub structural wall above ground level. these walls will act like retaining walls and they are not thag strong to retain the filled foundation, this may cause ss them to shift away.

You may need to ring/tie them up with a beam and filled the block below with week concrete. (oga spyder is doing excellently well with in this regard)

Another problem is settlement, most filled experience settlement after sometimes due to poor compaction. The higher the filled the more likely to settle

What I ended up doing was doing a double wall and introduced pillars strategically. I'm also going to let it compact naturally for a while.

In restrospect I should have created an underground space.

But it's a learning process grin

Thank you Sir.
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by smiley001(m): 12:13am On Jan 30, 2016
Time to learn...
Already in class.
Re: Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja by smiley001(m): 12:22am On Jan 30, 2016
How is podosci doing bro?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Need HDF Doors?: Check Out Our Custom HDF Doors With Edge Protection Material. / Top 10 Strangest Buildings In The World / New 10 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms Construction In Onitsha City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.