Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters (38876 Views)

US Lawyers File Suit Against Buratai, Obiano For Extra-Judicial Killing Of Igbos / Ameh Ebute On Tom Marino: "FG, Lodge Formal Complaint Against US Congressman" / Biafra: Dutch, Seven Others To Testify Against Kanu: Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Leopardd(m): 10:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
AFOLABI SOTUNDE/REUTERS

A Biafra supporter cries during a rally in support of Nnamdi Kanu in Abuja, December 1, 2015. Dutch lawyers have filed a case against Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari for alleged crimes against humanity against pro-Biafran activists.

The pro-Biafran activist group led by the imprisoned Nnamdi Kanu has filed a complaint against Muhammadu Buhari in The Hague, accusing the Nigerian president of war crimes.

Thousands of people in southeast Nigeria have demonstrated in recent months, demanding independence for Biafra. Kanu, the leader of one of the most prominent activist groups—the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB)—was arrested by Nigerian security forces in October 2015 on charges of ethnic incitement and sedition. He remains in detention and was refused bail by a federal high court in the capital Abuja on Friday.

Goran Sluiter, a lawyer at Dutch human rights legal firm Prakken d’Oliveira, filed the complaint with the International Criminal Court in The Hague on Friday. Sluiter tells Newsweek that there has been “an intensification of violence and crimes committed against Biafrans since Mr Buhari became the Nigerian president.”

There have been numerous reports of pro-Biafran protesters being killed in clashes with Nigerian security forces during demonstrations. More than 20 protesters and two police officers have been killed since October 2015, AP reported, with about 200 people detained across the country. Inspector General Solomon Arase, Nigeria’s chief of police, warned protesters in December to stop their activities or face “the full weight of the law.”

“Nigeria is already a long time on the agenda of the [ICC] prosecutor and Nigerian courts are not dealing at all with these crimes. The time really has come for the ICC to act,” says Sluiter.

The complaint was filed on behalf of 17 unnamed victims and alleges to set out evidence of crimes against humanity—including torture and murder—committed by Nigerian security forces against pro-Biafran protesters.

Ndubuisi Osuala, the coordinator of IPOB’s branch in the Netherlands—which he says numbers around 200 official members—says the group wishes to see Kanu released and Buhari prosecuted for overseeing crimes against Biafrans. “What every IPOB member, every Biafran citizen wants is the release of our great leader, Nnamdi Kanu, who is a freedom fighter,” says Osuala. “Secondly, we need the International Criminal Court to bring justice and equity to our case…[President Buhari] has to be prosecuted and face the justice for what he did.”

Osuala also says that his group wants independence for Biafra but is seeking it by peaceful means. “We need to get freedom by peace and that is why we are protesting,” he says. “We are not terrorists, we are not killing people.”

Buhari has previously refused calls for Kanu to be released, describing the activist—who is based in the U.K. and runs the underground media outlet Radio Biafra— as a flight risk.

Femi Adesina, a media advisor to Buhari, declined to comment on the ICC case and told Newsweek that while Kanu’s case was ongoing, the Nigerian presidency would rather not comment on the matter.

The ICC was not immediately available to confirm that the complaint had been filed. Once a complaint is filed at the ICC, the prosecutor can decide to open an investigation if there is a reasonable basis for believing that crimes against humanity have been committed. Nigeria is a signatory to the Rome Statute, upon which the ICC’s jurisdiction in based.
http://europe.newsweek.com/biafra-dutch-lawyers-file-complaint-against-buhari-hague-421118

62 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Leopardd(m): 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2016
I will not say anything, but let's watch out.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Modsenemy(f): 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
Where's my mat?

Lalasticlala u won't see dis one o.
Only yeyebrity fights makes FP dis dayz undecided

15 Likes

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by likila: 10:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
Buhari the dollardo is going back to jail!

129 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Stolen: 10:22pm On Jan 29, 2016
It is Official the Dau.ra Dullard is a war criminal.

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by adonbilivit: 10:23pm On Jan 29, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
Go and ask Charles Taylor, Gbagbo, Al-Bashir and co if you think this is child's play. ICC was instituted to deal with intransigent African leaders.

116 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Karlovich: 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
This is what lack of certificate causes. What else would they expect from a president with an IQ equivalent to the cattles in daura. Buhari is a dictator who is not fit to rule in a democratic society

167 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by orobs93(m): 10:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
Story are there no better ways for separation

Treason he committed treason he must be charged with after dealing with kanu we can start discussion again

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
Wow. shocked shocked shocked

Case strong oh. I remember ICC said they have complaints against papa Buhari, maybe this will make them start a proper case against him.
Buhari has too many human right issues hanging on his head. That man sef.

Sorry cry

Group Calls On ICC To Prosecute Buhari For 2011 Violence
Channels Television.
Updated January 29, 2015

Mr Goran Sluiter, a Dutch lawyer called the International Criminal Court to investigate Nigeria’s presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Gen. Muhamadu Buhari, over the 2011 post elections violence that claimed hundreds of lives.

The lawyer and a group known as Northern Coalition For Democracy, told a news conference in Abuja that there are evidence at their disposal that indicts Gen. Buhari over the violence.

http://www.channelstv.com/2015/01/29/group-calls-icc-prosecute-buhari/

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Wizprodigy: 10:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
Like someone said "the world is watching".

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by jimharry21(m): 10:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
Useless hypocritical Dutch people! During the Baifra War we died as if there was no God, we fought and died hoping that help will come even from the pit of hell at least we would have gladly accepted it but no; they all spoke useless English massaging the ego of the blood thirsty Nigerian Government. I have told all who would listen, PMB is not the problem of Biafra! Europe, USA and UK are the real enemies of Biafra because safe for them by the fall of 1970 Biafra would have defeated Nigeria.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by TimeManager(m): 10:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
OP, i love the picture you put up there, it perfectly depicts a frustrating figure & a wailing countenance of an average lowly biafran. Secondly, the quack of a dutch lawyer is nothing but a scam artist who will not decline an oppourtunity to fleece Igbos to fulfil his tax obligation. I recommend they hire the dutch prime minister the same manner they hire putin immediately after his arrest. Ipob buffoon should read between the lines in the latest judgement of the federal high court pronouncing kanu a security threat. I laugh in biafra. Buffoonery is allowed.
The truth has spoken!

143 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by doctokwus: 10:57pm On Jan 29, 2016
Just like Kanu scammed many off their meagre earnings, this Dutch lawyer is about to carry out his own scam.
Kanu wud be an extremely lucky chap to get just 21yrs because he seems to more likely going to get life with hard labor.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by BALLOSKI: 11:05pm On Jan 29, 2016
Jokers!

Maybe Hague want to tell us how to deal with criminals on our land. Maybe shekau should head to Hague too.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Habakus: 11:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
We are all watching. Let's see how at least,there won't be a formal inquiry as to what is happening in Nigeria as pertains the Fg vs Biafra proponents. You can't tell me that people who are demanding for independence legally will be killed just like that and the perpetrators will walk. Somebody sooner or later,will be answerable.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by babyfaceafrica: 11:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
Losers

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Progressive01(m): 11:12pm On Jan 29, 2016
Another Ekpa propaganda site. I clicked on the link and saw ONLY stories about Biafra were there, and the op says "Reuters" in the title.

Mynd44, please ban this op for violation of Rule 8.

Lalasticlala, please move this to the trash bin.

Thank you. grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Progressive01(m): 11:13pm On Jan 29, 2016
BALLOSKI:
Jokers!

Maybe Hague want to tell us how to deal with criminals on our land. Maybe shekau should head to Hague too.
Just click on the link and see the junk site replete with biafran news. cheesy

These guys are such learners. What exactly has Reuters got to do with the trash?? cheesy

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2016
Progressive01:
Another Ekpa propaganda site. I clicked on the link and saw ONLY stories about Biafra were there, and the op says "Reuters" in the title.

Mynd44, please ban this op for violation of Rule 8.

Lalasticlala, please move this to the trash bin.

Thank you. grin

http://www.channelstv.com/2015/01/29/group-calls-icc-prosecute-buhari/

Look at the channeltv link above. This is not supporting Biafra...this a news just as any other news as Nnamdi bail denied allowed on Nairaland. Mumu...ban, ban, ban!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
Progressive01:
You be confirm Okpa and your brain is made up of those agidi sold at 9th Mile..

Is the site a useless Ekpa propaganda site or not??

Nkita dindinrin. cheesy

You have serious psychosis. Won't reply again...a lot of mad, mentally unstable fellows on Nairaland .

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by xtrorpy: 11:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
TimeManager:
OP, i love the picture you put up there, it perfectly depicts a frustrating figure & a wailing countenance of an average lowly biafran. Secondly, the quack of a dutch lawyer is nothing but a scam artist who will not decline an oppourtunity to fleece Igbos to fulfil his tax obligation. I recommend they hire the dutch prime minister the same manner they hire putin immediately after his arrest. Ipob buffoon should read between the lines in the latest judgement of the federal high court pronouncing kanu a security threat. I laugh in biafra. Buffoonery is allowed.
The truth has spoken!

May I remind you and your ilks that BFR issue is still causing terrible nightmares, heartaches and madness to naysayers and foes, and sending them to their untimely graves...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Progressive01(m): 11:26pm On Jan 29, 2016
new2020:

[s]You have serious psychosis. Won't reply again...a lot of mad, mentally unstable fellows on Nairaland .[/s]
Okpa brain. Gtfo. cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by xtrorpy: 11:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
doctokwus:
Just like Kanu scammed many off their meagre earnings, this Dutch lawyer is about to carry out his own scam.
Kanu wud be an extremely lucky chap to get just 21yrs because he seems to more likely going to get life with hard labor.

Rather than clamouring for NK to be sentenced to 21 years and risk him causing you and your cohorts more miseries and deaths demand a death sentence and immediate hanging else you are of all men most miserable.

NK is ready to die for a cause he believes in. Can you and your bigotic folks grow a ball and stand for a cause not to mention dying for one?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by doctokwus: 11:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
xtrorpy:

Rather than clamouring for NK to be sentenced to 21 years and risk him causing you and your cohorts more miseries and deaths demand a death sentence and immediate hanging else you are of all men most miserable.

NK is ready to die for a cause he believes in. Can you and your bigotic folks grow a ball and stand for a cause not to mention dying for one?
Good for him.He will die a matyr and meet Satan in hell for promoting ethnic cleansing and propagating war.

21 Likes

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by KINGwax007(m): 11:41pm On Jan 29, 2016
Carry American lawyers join....

grin

7 Likes

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by xtrorpy: 11:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
doctokwus:

Good for him.He will die a matyr and meet Satan in hell for promoting ethnic cleansing and propagating war.

Before then you and your wicked cohorts that have sent many innocent lives to their untimely graves would have been consumed.

I shall remind you some of them:

- baboons and dogs will be soaked in blood
- threat to form parallel government
- threat to make the country ungovernable
- xenophobic threat by the lagoon crooner
- the nefarious activities by your marauding herdsmen
- the dastardly acts by your evil creation - Boko Haram.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by chesterlee(m): 4:17am On Jan 30, 2016
Buhari brought this upon himself

The Shiites massacre should also be added to the list of atrocities he committed

Can't wait to see him dragged in chains, humiliated and treated like a common criminal (which he is).

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by Nobody: 4:45am On Jan 30, 2016
jimharry21:
Useless hypocritical Dutch people! During the Baifra War we died as if there was no God, we fought and died hoping that help will come even from the pit of hell at least we would have gladly accepted it but no; they all spoke useless English massaging the ego of the blood thirsty Nigerian Government. I have told all who would listen, PMB is not the problem of Biafra! Europe, USA and UK are the real enemies of Biafra because safe for them by the fall of 1970 Biafra would have defeated Nigeria.

Bros, you have a big point. But some truths were not told about the UK and US involvement in the war. I think Ojukwu made a big mistake in that war. He fought a war without first realizing that he needed international partnership and coalition. Had he made some connection and give-in into certain compromises that was asked then, we would have been victorious in that war.

Seeing the way IPOB carries itself, I think they are trying to avoid the same pit-trap Ojukwu fell into. What IPOB is trying to do (if I understanding clearly) is to rally enough international support to its cause, which will help them in whatever strategy they might want to deploy. I believe taking Buhari to ICC is the right step.

Though it is unlikely that ICC will determine the case and give a ruling in 2, 3 or even 5 years from now, because cases in ICC tend to linger on forever, sometimes it may last up to 10 years, but on the average cases take more than three years to conclude, its even doubly unlikely that Buhari as the sitting president of a country will be summoned by ICC, that I think cannot happen.

However, I think that if the prosecution will find Prof Goilter's evidence as enough to commence criminal prosecution of the defendant (buhari) then that will be a embarrassment to Buahri and even to Nigeria, and this will boost the morale of Biafrans to increase the agitation for their freedom. In which case, the US, EU and UK have no other alternative than to support the emergence of Biafra.

I believe IPOB's strategy is working. Do you know that one of the evidences used against Buhari is the shooting of unarmed protesters? Now tell me, had Buhari not been particular about Nnamdi Kanu will this evidence surface? You now see why some of us were of the opinion that Buhari should thread with caution. Hmm the days ahead will be interesting...

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by MrSegunAdewole: 5:46am On Jan 30, 2016
kill Buhari now angry

emi omo odua cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra: Dutch Lawyers File Complaint Against Buhari At The Hague - Reuters by BALLOSKI: 6:16am On Jan 30, 2016
Progressive01:
Just click on the link and see the junk site replete with biafran news. cheesy

These guys are such learners. What exactly has Reuters got to do with the trash?? cheesy
don't mind those cry cry babies .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ibrahim Garba Confirms That Dino Melaye Graduated From ABU In The Year 2000 / 3 Communities Block Shell Company Gate In Rivers With A Juju Priest (Photos) / "If I Die; I Die"- Senator Dino Melaye Reacts To Recall By His Constituents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.