Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,390 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) (23686 Views)

Fatima Buhari Becomes 4th Wife To Gimba Yau Kumo / Ita-Giwa Volunteers To Negotiate With Niger Delta Militants If Only... / Israeli Prime Minister, Netanyahu Calls For Nnamdi Kanu’s Release (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Islie: 5:30pm On Jan 30, 2016
Chukwudi Akasike, Port Harcourt

Operatives of the Rivers State Police Command have arrested the wife of a suspected kidnapper, Mrs. Mercy Okachi, over the abduction of a youth leader in the state.

Okachi was arrested at her residence in Ubima, Ikwerre Local Government Area after a cash sum of N10 million being the ransom paid was traced to the house of her fleeing husband, Kendiri Okachi.
Surprisingly, Mrs. Okachi’s arrest was used to negotiate the release of the kidnap victim (name withheld for security reason).

The police had reached out to the kidnappers, including Mrs. Okachi’s husband, and asked them to free the youth leader for Mrs. Okachi to be released.

The youth leader, who was abducted on January 12, 2016 in Igwurita axis of Ikwerre LGA, eventually regained his freedom after staying in the forest for about eleven days.

Speaking with newsmen on the incident, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ahmad Mohammad said that the N10 million ransom was tracked by the police to the home of one of the suspects that is currently at large.

Mohammad added that one AK-47 rifle and 14 rounds of live ammunition were also recovered from the residence of the fleeing kidnap suspect.

He disclosed that the police had earlier gone into the forest with eight patrol vans loaded with armed policemen, but added that some farmers, who appeared to have given the kidnappers information, bungled the initial effort of security operatives at rescuing the youth leader.

He explained that the policemen withdrew from the forest after a fierce exchange of gunshots with the kidnappers.

“The victim was abducted on January 12, 2016 in Igwurita by four armed men. Thereafter, kidnappers called family members and demanded for ransom. They (family of the victim) agreed to pay N10 million.

“After the ransom was delivered in Elele, we tracked the money, which was picked by one of the kidnappers. The money was tracked to a house in Ubima in Ikerre Local Government Area. Police stormed the house and retrieved the bag of money and arrested the wife of one of the kidnappers.

“After the arrest of the woman, we heard information that the victim was kept in the forest. A team of security operatives in eight patrol vehicles went into the bush on Saturday by 4am and they laid ambush for the kidnappers.

“By 6pm, some farmers were passing and we never knew they were informants to the kidnappers. While the police were waiting somewhere for the hoodlums to come and buy food for their victim, they opened fire on us and we withdrew to avoid casualties on our own part.

“When they (police team) came back to their base, the wife of one of the kidnappers put a call across to her husband, begging him to release their victim so that the police could release her. That was how we bargained for the kidnappers to free the victim,” Mohammad said.

The state police spokesman maintained that the youth leader was freed without ransom, adding that the N10 million was retrieved based on the pressure from the police.

He added that investigation was ongoing by the police with a view to arresting and bringing the culprits to book.

Speaking with newsmen, the wife of one of the kidnap suspects (Mrs. Okachi) said that her husband was not part of the kidnap deal, adding that he (her husband) only received ransom and kept it in the house.

Mrs. Okachi explained that she never knew the content of the bag until police came in and took the bag away while her husband took to his heels.

“I want the police to release me. My husband is not a kidnapper; he only received that bag and kept it at home here. I have told by husband to stop going out with Ikechi (one of the kidnap suspects at large).

“We know we are poor, but we have been praying to God to make us rich. We deal in palm oil and we have been surviving on that since. The entire community knows me that I am always going to church to seek God’s favour.

“I am not part of the crime; if the police can give me just two days, I will assist them in their investigation. I have five children and they need to be taken care of,” Mrs. Okachi lamented.

The victim, who thanked God for saving his life, said he became temporarily deaf after receiving so much beating and torture from his captors.

“I don’t pray that even my worst enemy should face the kind of torture I went through. I went deaf for sometime after I was mercilessly beaten by those who kidnapped me,” he stressed.

www.punchng.com/police-arrest-kidnappers-wife-to-negotiate-victims-release/

1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by ozoigbondu: 6:04pm On Jan 30, 2016
This move by the police is legally and morally wrong

18 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by reuben79: 6:26pm On Jan 30, 2016
ozoigbondu:
This move by the police is legally and morally wrong
u always support criminals cos u ws born and broutup from criminal blood

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by giantstrides(m): 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2016
I usually disagree with his posts, but this time he is very right. Why should the wife suffer for a crime she knows nothing about ?

4 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by ozoigbondu: 6:40pm On Jan 30, 2016
reuben79:
Just shut up

Is his wife the kidnapper or part of the kidnapping gang

18 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Kangol99(m): 6:55pm On Jan 30, 2016
??
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by richidinho(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
police kidnapp kidnapper's wife grin

do me i do you ....God no dey vex

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by MARKone(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Speaking with newsmen, the wife of one of the kidnap suspects (Mrs. Okachi) said that her husband was not part of the kidnap deal, adding that he (her husband) only received ransom and kept it in the house.

Bonny and Clyde, how can the husband not be part of the Kidnapping, yet he received the ransom money, abi the man na bank? police no go hear this one.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by ThePeacemaker(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016

KIDNAPPING EVERYWHERE embarassed embarassed

WETIN LAH
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by DirtyGold: 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Well, the police did what they had to do. Tit-for-tat style while snacking on some tictacs grin

What's tha business?
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by sukkot: 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
mmmkayy
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by ayusco85(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Every girl has a price. For some its range rover, some its fried rice & for some na gala and a bottle of La Casera..."".

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by MrSegunAdewole: 6:57pm On Jan 30, 2016
[s]
reuben79:
[/s]

shatap so if your father is an arm robber the police should arrest you for your father's sin which you know nothing about

13 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by thefakestan: 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2016
They should check. It out like NL rule number 17. LOL.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by seunfunmi33(m): 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2016
Lol. Wen d bushmeat finally catches the Hunter.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by surestsam(m): 6:59pm On Jan 30, 2016
heeya
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 30, 2016
Hmmm m.....

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by ifyclose2(m): 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2016
reuben79:
You must be re.tarded. The wife of d kidnapper is 100% innocent, and should not be held liable for her husband's crimes. In saner countries, every police officer who took part in that arrest will be dismissed from d police force, and face criminal prosecution. That is d height of st.upidity, arresting a law-abiding individual just because he/she is married or biologically related to a criminal. How I wish d woman is enlightened enough to sue d entire Nigerian police force for billions of naira. I sometimes wonder if we are cursed in this country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by kennyman2000(m): 7:00pm On Jan 30, 2016
Hmmmm...
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by sammyuche(m): 7:01pm On Jan 30, 2016
You go fear tactics...I only hear and see these in CSI tv series.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Pavore9: 7:01pm On Jan 30, 2016
As long as the husband brought the ransom to the house he shares with the wife and after the man escaped it is logical for the police to pick up the wife which led to the kidnapped guy regaining his freedom.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
Desperate time calls for desperate measures.
Its allowed

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Sasuwa(f): 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
Nice
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by arabaribiti(m): 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
Just 4 comment and na front page the thing land
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by divineappo(m): 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
Islie:

www.punchng.com/police-arrest-kidnappers-wife-to-negotiate-victims-release/
so the nigerian police now operate like Jack Bauer. i love this

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Berrylite: 7:03pm On Jan 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Harmored(m): 7:03pm On Jan 30, 2016
Nah wah oo
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by nnanyereugo(m): 7:03pm On Jan 30, 2016
Dis is serious oo
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by godfirstawe: 7:06pm On Jan 30, 2016
Kudos police....

Seems things are changing in naija...

River state police command. ..double twale

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by Dronedude(m): 7:06pm On Jan 30, 2016
Police holding her on ransom too
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper’s Wife To Negotiate Victim’s Release (photo) by stanel(m): 7:07pm On Jan 30, 2016
No comment.......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m Still Lagos Police Commissioner, Owoseni Says / Onitsha-Asaba Head Bridge Locked Down Due To Delta State L.G Elections (Photos) / APC Governors, Tinubu To Meet To Plot Ize-Iyamu’s Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.