Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried (33174 Views)

Governor Wike Vs Governor Ambode - See Gobe (photos) / Rivers: Updates At The Supreme Court Wike Vs Dakuku / Live Updates: Rivers State Gov. Election Petition Verdict: Wike Vs Peterside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by MaziOmenuko: 1:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
bloodkiIler:
grin

ngeneukwenu why are you trolling cheesy

i dey pain you?

You are rejoicing today because it favoured PDP, this is not the end of elections in Nigeria. If we are to continue with the norm confirmed by the supreme court, don't cry foul when it is used by the APC to outrig the PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 31, 2016
MAROC:
The question posed that day was "Are INEC'S guidelines bigger than the constitution?"

The Judgement in the Agbaje VS Ambode petition wrote the use of card readers off as "administrative Guidlines" and I think PDP, INEC themselves and Wike capitalised on that and used it as a reference point.

Though I'm UNPARTISAN, I think that election should have been annulled and reran just because of the violence and international outcry. But then the courts need concrete evidence and not hearsay... I think this is where Peterside failed!

@ The Quoted

Ballot snatching occured at the just concluded Bayelsa guber elections BEFORE this judgement.

@The OP, Ballot snatching is part of the fabric of Nigerian politicians and their foot soldiers... No court judgement can usher in what's already in existence.

may God bless you

If APC want card readers to become law then they should change the constitution

The card reader itself is not an end in itself as the evidence shows that even that process can be rigged.

When underage voters are able to obtain biometric voters card and also go ahead to vote then that process is not full proof. If its possible to bias distribution of biometric cards and the card readers then the process is not full proof.

The issue then is maroc earlier suggested is not the process we choose but more about change in attitude towards election from Nigerians.

Buhari is leading the line in destroying the spirit of sportsmanship in our electoral process when he appoints his kinsman as INEC boss, move High court judges to areas where they can upturn PDP victories, and then bluntly refuse to congratulate electoral winners who are not members of his party!

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by sweetkevisco(m): 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
MaziOmenuko:

You are rejoicing today because it favoured PDP, this is not the end of elections in Nigeria. If we are to continue with the norm confirmed by the supreme court, don't cry foul when it is used by the APC to outrig the PDP.

Your hypocrisy is stinking!!!!
If rivers election must be nullifed due to card reader,then Lagos,Imo,etc must also be nullifed.shikena.
Infact even the presidential election should be nullifed.
The supreme court simply applied the same logic,dats all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by AtlanticBreeze: 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2016
ms ngeneukwenu is this how you want to eat the humble pie and return to nairaland after suffering the heaviest defeat from the general elections? Anyway let's wait for omenka to follow suit. Supreme court no send federal power grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Mylove55(f): 2:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
Johnrake69:
@ngeneukwenu. The above write up is really faulty. Infact, Inec should even be tried for using a General Election to experiment on a new procedure. I was a presiding officer and I can tell you that we would have had a huge crises on our hands if the manual accreditation was not adopted mid-way the election. How do you explain to Emeka, Musa or Ayodele that he can't participate in the election because the card reader couldn't capture his thump print, when his name is in the voter's register and he is armed with his PVC. Thank God for the Supreme Court. If you really cared to understand the stand point of the Supreme Court. The issue of the card reader was simply that of electoral guideline. And that posed the question of whether electoral guideline was more important than an electoral act.
i am sure everyone is missing something, both d lawyers and d apex court fail to realise that 292,000 voters were actually accredidated both manually and card reader, where did d 1.5m vote comes from, i am seriously waiting for sc reason for d judgement

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Kangol99(m): 2:45pm On Jan 31, 2016

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by janet90: 2:48pm On Jan 31, 2016
the end justified the means

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by gentlecent: 2:51pm On Jan 31, 2016
vanbonattel:

Nansense! Nobody has a monopoly over violence, bring it on.

My brother I concur... wike cannot do more than a dead rat...
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Johnrake69: 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2016
Mylove55:
i am sure everyone is missing something, both d lawyers and d apex court fail to realise that 292,000 voters were actually accredidated both manually and card reader, where did d 1.5m vote comes from, i am seriously waiting for sc reason for d judgement

To be sincere with you... Its a dead weight and there is no point in dragging this issue. The manual accreditation form provided by INEC was way short of what that was required. I remember in my polling unit, the form we were given for manual accreditation was just to service about 30 people. When we had close to 200 people that were unsuccessful with the Card reader. And the issue of electoral violence in rivers was greatly exaggerated. Electoral violence was in all the states, Lagos included. I believe the Supreme Court's judgment is for the greater good of the people.

You should appreciate the significance of that ruling on two grounds;
1.saved us tax payers money
2.saved us lives and properties. Unless your Peterside's relation, that was looking at having your family member in the government house.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by anonimi: 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2016
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Bigprozzie: 3:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
anonimi:
Below is the real why:

The real why?

Illiterate Agbaya

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by edogu(m): 3:01pm On Jan 31, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by DeNovo: 3:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment that emanated from the Supreme Court, in which, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and that of Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

Should The Opposition Be Worried?
I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have not realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was, to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

The implication of the Judgment:
Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed with Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers as a part of election process.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you are contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

Well I know as fact that the supreme court is yet to state reasons for their decision and until same is made public next month... It would be wrong to make conjectures.

Personally I believe there was more to the decision in the rivers elections than that which you have alluded. Were it not so, every single election petition brought before the Supreme Court would have annulled.

In fact Wike's votes came from the same card readers therefore, if the usage of card readers was the problem, a rerun would have been ordered and not declaring Wike as winner.

Let wait until we hear from the SC.

MY ONE CENT.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by edogu(m): 3:03pm On Jan 31, 2016
Lolz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by arcnomec(m): 3:06pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

That is it!

Well all I can say to you is that come Feb ,ONELGA people in Rivers state will destroy APC forever.Omoku,my hometown will never allow any APC man/woman win any ward...In fact is game over for APC.

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by DoctorMcgruff: 3:08pm On Jan 31, 2016
E dey Pain am!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin very glad your losing sleep over this.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by marlockj: 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment that emanated from the Supreme Court, in which, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and that of Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have not realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was, to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed with Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers as a part of election process.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you are contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

I don't knw which country you are actually from..

1st do you think all election that has not gone to court was free and fair?

what do you knw is the meaning of election in Nigeria context.. or you think election is what is defined in wiki or government txt,dictionary etc..you Hv to wake up to reality as far as Nigeria is concern....

Election in Nigeria means who got the highest rigged votes,who kill most or who bribe most..

You cnt win election in Nigeria by Jst campaigning and seating in your house and wait for results.... No that does not happen in Nigeria...

You Dnt win election in Nigeria by looking for a credible means(cards readers).....

Politics is a game Bt not a game of dictionary... you play it wit ur life,ppls life,money,juju and what ever means to get the seat...the rest is supreme court....

Some of you Dnt knw what really happen during election,we only read news,so stay in their house, some claim to be protecting their votes...funny enough when the real owners of the votes come the rest will either be in the hospital, dead badly injuried....

Do you ever think a politician will spend money to lose election??..wen he has Ppl that can kill Jst for 500k for him to win...

As for card readers...it may interest you to know that politicians can Neva hope on that.. as that will hinder power play,stop money play,reduce vote,delay election,..they were prepare for manual with the Claim of card readers not reading this Ppl.

Infact some centers threw the card reads away n follow the proper election.....

Finally you don't get elected into Nigerian politics by stay holy or reading this shitt that you wrote.....ask yourself Why can't we see pastors win.....

Politics is not for baby's mind

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Mattew690(m): 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
Una don spoil nigeria
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Lezzlie(m): 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

The Court is the court of law, not necessary a court of justice or wishes. It is now expedient for the National Assembly to enact laws that will legalise the Card readers to become admissible in our electoral processes.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by HopeAtHand: 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
Abagworo:
What it simply means is that ballot snatching is not even needed. The returning officers will simply quote imaginary results and the court will support the outcome. Unknown to PDP supporters It is to the advantage of APC.

Spot on. Every legal voting process and illegal ballot snatching and stuffing will carry on for the whole day normally, while the party controlling the INEC staff and materials will simply fill the results sheets as is deemed fit.

The results will be announced from the INEC results sheets. The winner will be declared and the aggrieved party can go to the tribunal. That is the system in Rivers since the days of Late Marshall Harry and Odili till date.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by ibietela2(m): 3:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

Mr Ngene be very careful with the lies you come to tell
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by sinistermind(m): 3:23pm On Jan 31, 2016
@Op nice observation of the precedence, but you should be aware that th judge was on precedence and i'm happy you stated the electoral act of 1999... the legislature should have reviews this act before introducing the card reader.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by sammylove22(m): 3:25pm On Jan 31, 2016
INEC introduced card reader without legitimacy. So they should follow the proper channels
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by sinistermind(m): 3:26pm On Jan 31, 2016
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by jane0000(f): 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2016
bloodkiIler:
[s][/s]
shatap
shat up and stop disturbing people.
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Firefire(m): 3:29pm On Jan 31, 2016
Pained loser... cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bizgai(m): 3:33pm On Jan 31, 2016
[quote author=vanbonattel post=42487668]
Nansense! Nobody has a monopoly over violence, bring it on.[/quote line drawn, we'll c who has edge over other in the game # loving it
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Eluwilussit(m): 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

~Miss Ngene.

Of what use is the card reader when minors voted in the north and disabled persons voted in proxy, in the north as well? Nonsense!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Endtimesmith(m): 3:36pm On Jan 31, 2016
Na wa for South Port Harcourt!
Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 31, 2016
Johnrake69:

To be sincere with you... Its a dead weight and there is no point in dragging this issue. The manual accreditation form provided by INEC was way short of what that was required. I remember in my polling unit, the form we were given for manual accreditation was just to service about 30 people. When we had close to 200 people that were unsuccessful with the Card reader. And the issue of electoral violence in rivers was greatly exaggerated. Electoral violence was in all the states, Lagos included. I believe the Supreme Court's judgment is for the greater good of the people.

You should appreciate the significance of that ruling on two grounds;
1.saved us tax payers money
2.saved us lives and properties. Unless your Peterside's relation, that was looking at having your family member in the government house.

I agree with you the advantages of the judgement. But it doesn'make it right. WHAT IS WRONG IS WRONG !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Shuns American Reporter Who Works For Sahara Reporters (Throwback) / Wike And Miss University Pageant Contestants On A Tour In Rivers State (Photos) / Kano Indigenes Climb A Building To Wave At President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.