Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (22977 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Architects In The House? by topup: 5:29am On Jun 30, 2009
I'm sure if I made the call for Engineers, I'd have a 1000 replies by now, but I'm looking for advice, comments, testimonies, stories ANYTHING about the world of Architecture that exists in Nigeria.

So, what are your experiences, even if you're not an Architect, but have required one, or considered using one, or you know one, just leave a line.

I'm doing some research about this, looking specifically at the demand for Architects, the influence of Architects on exisiting buildings, and if need be, please relate it to engineering, though I would prefer to discuss arcchitecture.

Pictures of Architecture that is actually significant to Nigeria are very welcome.

- Well, my parents built a house when I was younger, I don't believe they used an Architect, I believe they just drew it up loosely, I'm not sure how the specifics were worked out, but I'm pretty sure that little or no consideration went into the whole 'Architecture' side of things.

Are builders in Nigeria more relevant than the Architects?? It seemed that our builder took charge over most of the building, and I think the design changed, but this was expected, I don't believe you can get away with 'unnecessary' amendments these days, or am I being naive??

What about Lagos, Abuja, the major cities, apart from reproduction of American-style houses, is there a genuine interest in Architecture in the wealthier parts of Nigeria??

2 Likes

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Seun(m): 3:14am On Jul 01, 2009
Moved to real estate section and stickied.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by justkunmi(m): 7:31am On Jul 01, 2009
one.here,
Are.u.an.architect.too.?
Just.floated.a.firm.with.some.partners. Still.very.young.but.we've.seen.that.its.a.very.challenging.practise.especially.here.in.Nigeria.

wat.specifics.do.u.want.to.know?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by desse: 12:32pm On Jul 01, 2009
@topup

Am an architect in the house , the experince been an architect in nigeria is chanlleging, architectural practise or architecture in general in nigeria is silent this is as a result of code of ignorance . A lot of people are ignorant of what architect are they consider an architect to be an engineer. This is a long time history , in the pre -  and post colonial days of nigeria ,the first set of expetriate or WHITE MEN that visited nigeria and commissioned to carry out construction work were the  engineers. take for instance JULIUS BERGER is one of the major post colonial contractor that did most of nigeria major project in terms of bridge,road works even build most skyscrapers in lagos Most of this construction firm where held by  civil engineer and they gave out most of the consulting aspect of the jobs such as architectural design ,structural detailing , electrical engineering drawings,mechanical engineerings drawings to outside firm across the continent and most of this consultant then only visit the site ocassionally while the contractors who were engineers are more close to the artisians and the people in general . so most of the WHITY were civil /structural engineers and builders hence our people here are more used to the word  engineer. They never try to define a thin line between engineer and other building proffessional. They believed that anyone that interprete a building design and construct is an engineer cause our local  pre and post colonial artisian such as brick layers, carpenters ,iron bender etc that worked with the WHITE  men carries this experession all over the country  to the novice  

Architecture in general is picking up in nigeria people are begining to understand and appreciate architect unlike before because they are now aware of who an architect  he is. An architect is been considered as the chief builder . In the heracy of building industry in nigeria and world outside there architect are meant to be the head of the construction. An architect is subject to be the originator or invetor of any building project,cause he is the first person to transform a client ideal,images,pictures,dreams into a graphical explanation considering the buildability ,functionality,convinence,durability,posterity.etc before the other consultant such as builder,structural detail ,electrical ,mechanical,sound,acoustic,engineers ,ouantities surveyor e.t.c are expected to contribute.

But the chanllege of architectural practise in nigeria is that people of nigeria in general except the elite or matured minded person only appreciate architect work . A lot of people believed that architect only draw and present graphics that is a myopic views. a project designed and supervised by an architect is always distint from the one supervised by a quack or the so call artisian. every graphical line drawn by an architect has meaning and there is a science behind each line ,i donot what to go too technical so that you may not get confused . that is why you cannot compare a building design and build by an architect in Victoria garden city, lekki phase one ,prime area of gra  ,ikoyi and that design and build in other part of lagos . Though there are still edifice in other part of lagos if you look too deep into such building you find the tourch of architect. Architecture is not about space arrangement or diving a space to rooms where by you have bedroom.kitchen,lounge, etc . The total reflection of a design space must carries both the physical and spiritual oral of satisfaction of an individual living in the house why do you think that a man that lives in a castle,mansion or edifice is always looking refresh,cause right inside his bedroom he is experience an emotional stability as a result of the function of spaces he moves through the house. I can design a rich man house to be sound proof,acoustic effective,provides eclectic furnitures, giggling orders e.t.c . a lot of people donot even understand these are part of architecture they believe is all about partitionong spaces and getting a bricklayer to set the block and build junks.That is why most nigerian are looking sick except the rich elite .
'
architecture literaly means two words it is a greek word. First 'Arc 'means 'chief' ,'principal' or head. while tecture means 'creativity,knowledge.

The word of architecture cannot be exuasted. note GOD himself is an architect. In the begining  GOD created heaven and earth then been  the begining and the end  means 'arc 'i.e chief ,principal, head. GOD was able to design and separate the earth from heaven,bearing it in mind to position everything in heaven with heracy i.e the angels,and heavely bodies.coming to the earh he separate water from land ,light from darkness and so many other things not to disturb one another for human comfort,functionality etc that that means 'creativity' which mean' tecture ', knowledge . so you can now see that GOD is an architect. Architecture revolves round the whole world if there was never architecture there would have been problem on earth there would have been no functionality of purpose. Architecture is more spiritual than physical architects are supral human is not a proffession that people should ignore or treat with less importance it takes a great mind to be creative.

cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Tmoni(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2009
1st degree-- Architecture and decided to jump ship now am a project planner / co-ordinator

somtimes i truly miss archi and my girlfriend is tired of me noticing facades, finistration, designs etc
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2009
Tmoni, its "fenestration", I hope its a typo.
Im also an archi who crossed boarder into Real Estate, and Running an online course in "Construction Management".
The problem with Nigeria is the lack of building codes yet to be implemented around the country.
In the united states for instance, there are codes that goes with the "Dead Load", and "Life Loads", of buildings Dead loads are pillars, floors, etc. Life loads are furnitures, people etc. One tenant may have lesser stuff. The other might have more. And people tend to over-crowd in some part of the house than the other: etc, the balcony. The sitting room where the home theater usually sits. And sometimes, people throw big parties in their sitting room, having as much as a crowd of 100 sometimes.
Thats why you have collapsed buildings around alot, since most people just dont seem to know what they are doing. Baba Iyabo designs the house. Builds it. Rents it out. A local workman who takes the multi-facted role of estate agent, builder, and archi.
There are types of architecture that are recommended for buildings close to the sea. Types that are advisable for buildings close to a train station because of constant viberation gathered by the approaching train daily. Etc, You get all these stuff in construction management, thats why archi itself is just like a beginners manual into construction. Anyways, Im still a student, and running around real estate, but im still very much constant in my feild.
I dont blame your parents, they did it the Nigerian way. But seriously, when you see a good building, you know its been built how it should be done.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by phizz: 10:44am On Jul 02, 2009
1st Degree Architecture, currently doing my masters
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Mowire: 11:01am On Jul 02, 2009
What Tmoni and Aasog failed to mention is the fact that the architects, here in Nigeria, are largely responsible for the peoples' view of themselves and the challenges they are facing (just like engineers).

In present day Nigeria, the architects are beneficiaries of the public misinformation as to who an Engineer is: The architect takes a brief from his client (the majority of building public) and instead of looking for the other professionals that should make the building team he does his drawing, hands it over to a structural detailer (that's a structural draughtman) instead of a strutural engineer. He presents himself to the client as the all in all Contractor and he is called ENGINEER on sites, and he loves it.

The scene is similar in the engineering side too, Except that they (engineers) are the bigger lossers in the mess in the industry.

@assog, the problem is not about the absence of codes. Nigeria has long adopted the British codes for structural design. The BS 8110 and co are what is used. The problem is that result in collapsed buildings is the refusal to employ qualified professionals on building projects, and the failure of our professionals (especially engineers) to comply with the dictates of the codes even when they are employed (a number of them are just incompetent).

@poster, I think the scene is going to be getting better in Nigeria if the nation continue in the line of positive development, in which case more of the building public fall within the well educated and well informed class.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by sley4life(m): 11:25am On Jul 02, 2009
a difficult profession
Re: Any Architects In The House? by olisa07: 11:27am On Jul 02, 2009
Yeap. an Architect cheesy, first degree. making a move soon.

not too lucrative here, though enjoyed it in school( financially and otherwise)

with alot of sadist both in school and field. It is more of one-man business here.

they dont pay to compare with other industries like banking and oil and gas.

Not been paid for 3months now, just because of the passion of the discipline.

but really want to change career soon.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by pikolo: 11:38am On Jul 02, 2009
@esse, NO ONE PUT IT BETA DAN U, AM IN Bsc 1 in UNN N DAT WAZ D XACT WAY OUR LECTURERS INTRODUCED ARCHITECTURE, IT DEALS WITH D UNDERSTANDING OF SPACE AND HOW IT AFFECTS MAN, EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IS INVOLVED IN ARCHITECTURE, KUDOS esse, hope we can work 2geda in future, my mail addy is kelechine@yahoo.com
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:54am On Jul 02, 2009
Maybe, i should start by saying, "We Architects are the Architects of our own misfortune"
We have done a terrible job of selling ourselves well enough to the Nigerian people
The profession is all about creativity, talent, perseverance and committment,
a whole of  people parading themselves today as architects, cannot really standout from
mere artists, draughtsmen or draughtsmen apprentices.
Why would a client be prepared to pay more for the services of an architect that cannot prove him./herself better
than a cheaper draughtsman?

However, i must not fail to add that, in recent times the awareness seems to be sinking in,
many thanks to the young generation of CG architects.

1 Like

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 12:04pm On Jul 02, 2009
phizz:

1st Degree Architecture, currently doing my masters

Goodluck, wish u well!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by justkunmi(m): 12:11pm On Jul 02, 2009
First.degree.Architecture,
Masters.in.Environmental.Design,
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Tmoni(m): 12:35pm On Jul 02, 2009
Seriously, how many clients in Nigeria are willing to pay XYZ % of the construction cost as the architects fees,

If you really want to go by the rules, the Architect is not suppose to be permanently on site,

being on site is more lucrative and it is hard for the average "ogo-aja" (labourer) to come to terms with the word architect hence the generall feeling that we are engineers,

on a site i worked on in Bayelsa, i uncountable times told the site workers that i was not an engineer but I talk sotay meself I tire and answered when even called "Engine"

Its a profession where u have to get as much as u can from any commission,

@ aasog, thanks for the correction but u really did not have to do with the "I hope its a typo",

meanwhile who remembers, The Quick Brown Fox Jumped Over the Lazy Fat Dog, nt sure if i got it right, been ages

1 Like

Re: Any Architects In The House? by lovestorm(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2009
Why would a client be prepared to pay more for the services of an architect that cannot prove him./herself better
than a cheaper draughtsman?

in this sense i totally disagree with @Mahal.
it is not the architects that have refused to proof themselves better than a draughtsman but the client that have refused to see the architect beyond the principle of just drawing lines!
just like doctors who will examine and prescribe for patients, how can you tell a doctor is 100% sure of the diagnosis, but people would rather see a doctor no matter the charge cos its a matter of life and death-NO REPLACEMENT!!!
but a client can choose to engage or disengage the services of an architect whether he sells his design/himself well or not. In Nigeria, we follow the cheapest fee when it comes to construction from inception to finish. Do not forget, we have FG approved professional scale of fees and how many of the said client or draughtsmen have an idea? how many can afford these fees? how many are willing to take professional advise?

most client will take your brilliant idea (cos if it wasn't why will they steal it?) to a draughtman, tell him their ideas added to that and BRAVO! a design is finished without your knowledge and what they tell you--WHEN WE ARE READY TO GO FURTHER WE WILL CALL YOU!

very simple, the more we respect our diverse professions the more we build a safe circle, the more they are regulations from all professional bodies the more our individual/collective success!

we are only surviving, not ignorant or dumb!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by junijustin: 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2009
@Topup
Nice post, Feel free to contact me if you want to make specific enquiries (07531900473)

I also qualified as an architect in nigeria and worked for a while before embarking on further studies. I was particularly interested in photrealistic visualisations and construction details, even though I had some experience in contract administration and project management.

lovestorm:

[b]

in this sense i totally disagree with @Mahal.
it is not the architects that have refused to proof prove themselves better than a draughtsman but the client that have refused to see the architect beyond the principle of just drawing lines!

You are right. In addition, the regulations and standards surrounding practice is also weak. Here in the UK, there is strict adherence to regulations such that you cant practice without a RIBA qualification. There is a place for draughtment and technicians, but it's only legal instruments that can be used to make the architect retain his place as the creative leader of the building team

There is also the issue of economy. Most Nigerian construction is handled by individuals who want to build their homes. At that scale, most people are interested in putting one block on top of another to have a roof over their heads, with little attention paid to 'concept' and 'architecture'. The funding is also from scarce resources. As a result, there is a limit to how much they are willing to pay an architect, and will be happy to pay a technician or draughtman for less than a tenth of the architect's professional fees.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by zPixel(m): 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2009
Hi,
Am not an architect by profession, but a helper to you guys. I basically do 3D-visualization for architects. Hope am welcome on board?

1 Like

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Sprumbaba: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2009
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Woodpecker(m): 11:47pm On Jul 02, 2009
the NIA is really to blame, all they're concerned about is how they'll keep young architects from competing with them for govt contracts by creating policies that only serve their selfish purposes

2 Likes

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 03, 2009
U guyz av said it all, but are any brighter future 4 we undergraduates?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by nich(m): 3:54am On Jul 03, 2009
cheesy  wow!  cheesy luvly thread! nice comments & contributions so far. i've noticed that many peeps have been able to identify some of the problems and it's always easy to 'dish out' the blame to others. however, we all still have opportunities & capacity to commence the identification of adequate solutions per time and then implement the same till we can say, "now things are actually looking up". wink i strongly believe in the possibility of positive change & somehow, whether you like it/agree or not, we all depend on us (the generation next).

much said, i hope u wont consider it too late to introduce maself. i'm a Building Services Engineer who's been in consultancy for a while & presently based in Lagos (but works anywhere <in case u need some technical advice>wink  tongue

cheers!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by iice(f): 9:30am On Jul 03, 2009
Yeah, i think most people substitute engineers and constructors with architects.

I'm not one, though i have interest in it. A family friend is one. He was responsible for Main Market in Jos, like in the 80s i think.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Nezan(m): 9:56am On Jul 03, 2009
iice:

Yeah, i think most people substitute engineers and constructors with architects.

but it is wrong
Re: Any Architects In The House? by iice(f): 10:08am On Jul 03, 2009
Sure it is.

I don't even know how much appreciation people have for architecture in Nigeria.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 10:13am On Jul 03, 2009
Hi everyone,
Im currently studying architecture in Johannesburg at the mo, I find these threads very interesting and informative(especially coming from my side of africa). The problem is I find it difficult to find contemporary stylish architecture from other parts in africa and news in terms general design etc. That's why i ask for anyone to post links or info on the latest developments in/or around west africa. I hope that one day, there could be a general discussion forum for architecture in africa.
Yours truly.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by trulyopal(f): 12:58pm On Jul 03, 2009
i am a practicing architect in abj.
sincerely, the economy of a country is the major determining factor of oppurtunities 4 d architect.
Nigeria, unlike other countries is very much an under developed country. 65% of nigerians are living below poverty line, how can u expect such a country to acquire the services of an architect?
I think its abt time architects start becoming relevant in our poor economy , through innovative designs. that are cheap and saves energy.
as 4 those aspiring to become architect, hhhmmmm sad
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2009
Woodpecker:

the NIA is really to blame, all they're concerned about is how they'll keep young architects from competing with them for govt contracts by creating policies that only serve their selfish purposes

I shared such sentiment earlier, but the truth is, the younger ones get preoccupied with the chase of PP's and quick lucre soon
after school and fail totally in meeting[i] little [/i]professional obligations required of them.
It should be noted that, It's the same rigorous exercise expected of every professional regardless of the feild.

iice:

Sure it is.

I don't even know how much appreciation people have for architecture in Nigeria.

Nigerians like good things, at times they aren't just informed.

This Niger Delta wahala exploded when some of the youths saw the Abuja Cityscape.

yoruba:

Hi everyone,
Im currently studying architecture in Johannesburg at the mo, I find these threads very interesting and informative(especially coming from my side of africa). The problem is I find it difficult to find contemporary stylish architecture from other parts in africa and news in terms general design etc. That's why i ask for anyone to post links or info on the latest developments in/or around west africa. I hope that one day, there could be a general discussion forum for architecture in africa.
Yours truly.

try and see http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1481&order=desc&page=3
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2009
jimmy4x:

U guyz av said it all, but are any brighter future 4 we undergraduates?

You have a whole lot in store for you, lots of Good parts, [size=5pt]definitely some bad parts too[/size] but the time to start preparing is now,
study as much buildings as you can, learn from other architects, build up a portfolio, learn the ropes thru ur IT's, get a Laptop or PC if you don't have one now, learn the CAD softwares, pass your exams,
do your studio work then Pray,

1 Like

Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 6:53pm On Jul 03, 2009
Future Architect.

I start My course in 8 Months. It is the Bachelor of Architecture Studies, for 4 years then I'll be doing my Masters smiley

Trying to improve my CAD Skills right now like damn!.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by justkunmi(m): 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2009
Architecture.in.Nigeria.is.starting.to.make.a.headway. Its.very.slow.but. .with.time.and.effort. .we'll.get.there.

Plenty.clients.are.starting.to.appreciate.Architects. They.now.know.that.professionals.are.better.than.the.common.roadside.draughtsman.

But.my.biggest.problem.with.Architecture.in.Nigeria.is.the.body.itself. NIA.is.a.backward.body. The.body.filled.with.old.men.with.old.values. .old.techniques.of.doing.things.and.old.ways.of.solving.problems.
They've.formed.a.clique.so.strong.that.no.young.and.upcoming.Architect.can.break.in. They.get.all.the.government.contracts. .all.the.money.spinning.projects.
I.was.at.the.last.NIA.Colloquim.at.ICC.Abuja.and.all.I.saw.a.reunion.party.of.old.money.bags!.
They.need.to.free.up.these.spaces.for.younger.people.to.grow. .
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 4:35am On Jul 04, 2009
It's the African culture, too much respect given to the elderly.

In Australia it's the opposite, the Old School find it hard to keep jobs when competing with the young minds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Flood Overwhelms Asaba, Destroys Official Documents, Files, Homes / Lagos Proposes A Regional Masterplan For Ikorodu / Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.