Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? (41812 Views)

Sexism: Women Should Boycott Maggi Until Cover Is Changed / Guys That Can Cook Can Relate To These Photos / Maggi E~cook Book;assist Me,please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Aubrey1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 27, 2016
would u marry without tasting ur wife Maggi ?
Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Allwility: 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
@OP I will try explaining why. First there are five basic tastes namely:

1. Sweetness

2. Sourness

3. Bitterness

4. Saltiness

5. Umami

You might be familiar with the first four so I will talk more on Umami. Umami is responsible for the savory tastes in foods. The Umami receptors in the taste buds are usually stimulated by glutamates eg MSG. Your maggi and noodles seasoning contains this MSG. However tomatoes, soy sauce, veggies and mushrooms are rich in Umami but not to the extent of your seasonings.

On a second thought I believe Ogiri also stimulate the Umami taste bud. Besides, you can't get the savory/ umami feel if you use salt. You will only get a more salty food.

agarawu23:
Good evening all

I have been wondering why ladies can't cook good food without adding Maggi angry

What is the 'job' of Maggi in your cooking?

There was a day I told my gf that I don't put Maggi in my cooking and she was like " how will the food taste"?

Honestly speaking, I am a good cook and I don't use maggi for the past 3years now and I still get good taste.

Must u use Maggi?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by udysweet(f): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
When I saw the thread,your name came to mind and I said I hope he's not the one becos I'd seen weda its dis same toopic or smtn similar wen u commented.
Ok quick one:I'd really like to see you cook those fried and jollof rice without a seasoning. Infact I'd like to taste it but because I dnt want tongues to wag(mak dem no say I dey upto smtn)mak I let d mata die. Dis tins are seasonings,it enhances the taste and overall outlook of the food. Yes this so called "maggi" has salt content but there are other thing used in making it that helps the taste of the food. If you had evn mentioned smtn like crayfish as a substitute or evn locust beans(those are the two that comes to mind)I for say ok.
Infact I need to eat that food u use only salt cook esp dat fried rice be4 I agree wit u sir,lol!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by kachi19: 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
Husband Material :/ ur right, u must not use maagi cos maggi isn't the only food enhancing seasoning; we have knorr, onga, master chef. Abeg which one u de use??

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by bee444: 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
no spices, SALT only.

Yes bro
I stopped using maggi when I noticed salt alone can do the job , except for those that can't Cook.

You want to die early? I thought you use natural flavors, but salt only? Too bad for your health.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by huntax(m): 3:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
any person wey tell u that one should come and try a cooking contest with me. cool

Old women don't use maggi unless the ones wey their eyes don open. Even my grandmother wey don open eyes no dey use maggi.
But they use Iru or ewuro.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by ojnnaco(m): 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
Maggi is just an upgraded salt .. Habaaaa

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Abbycuttie(f): 3:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
Good evening all

I have been wondering why ladies can't cook good food without adding Maggi angry

There was a day I told my gf that I don't put Maggi in my cooking and she was like " how will the food taste"?

Honestly speaking, I am a good cook and I don't use maggi for the past 3years now and I still get good taste.

Must u use Maggi?

I've cooked without maggi times without no n d food do taste great

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by pomide(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
Put Ordinary Salt For Your Noodles na... grin

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by dfrost: 3:19pm On Mar 27, 2016
OP is "over" correct. My mom taught us to cook without seasoning. Crayfish and Cameroon pepper can give your cooking another dimension. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Karleb(m): 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
carluva:
Hmmmmmm........
if I talk wetin some gurlz from one part of d country (dnt want to mention d tribe) dey carry my eyes see for ds maggi or no maggi matter eennhh una go pity me cry cry cry cry imagine ds gurls cook BEANS, ordinary BEANS with a minimum of 6 cubes of seasoning, come stew side naaa, dey use a minimum of 9 cubes, d day I found out eernnhh, na dat day I begin cook my own food seperate. common indomie dem still dey use one cube join for d seadoning wey follow am come.

gringringringringrin
Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Sabotage4700(m): 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
My room mate in school cook stew with sixteen 16 Maggi.. And when u ask him why he puts a lot of Maggi he says "na stew na e need plenty Maggi" .
But since d day he tasted my stew which I cooked with just two cubes he respects my cooking instincts ever since.
Point! Alot of people abuse this Maggi them no say make u no use am but no abuse am it carries alot of diseases them, besides Maggi is not the secret of a nice meal. Bone that their advert.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by dfrost: 3:27pm On Mar 27, 2016
huntax:

But they use Iru or ewuro.

IrĂș is natural, isn't it? The point agarawu23 is trying to achieve (correct me if I'm wrong) is can women cook tasty foods without seasoning?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Karleb(m): 3:27pm On Mar 27, 2016
evatee:
Maggi is doing same job make up is doing on the face of our ladies....

grin grin grin

Funny enough, almost all our ladies are guilty of both. (Excessive seasonings et Makeup).

There's even one they use to call "Agino motto". lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by ebyoma(f): 3:27pm On Mar 27, 2016
This is interesting.. will definitely try it one day to know how it's gonna taste.

BTW agarawu23, what if you cook the meat/fish do you add maggi or just salt

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 27, 2016
shamecurls:
For the past 5 years, I dont use water, salt, maggi or vegetable oil to cook.

Been eating bread and pepsi all the while

ehhhh, sorry oh, how many years them give you for kirikiri?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by byvan03: 3:36pm On Mar 27, 2016
I just hope your darling salt is the only ingredient you use to prepare these self acclaimed tasty meals you speak of. Don't tell me you add anything else because I won't understand why you will need oil and not just salt to prepare your stew undecided.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by octopusfreaky(f): 3:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
yes,i can do without Maggigringrin

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Danfuster(m): 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
abeg... make una follow me ask them ooo, just the other day i caught my gf adding maggi seasoning to beans, i was like what the hell... you cooking beans with maggi, you don't need that, just add good amount of Onion and a reasonable pinch of salt but she flared up got defensive and started talking bout that's how they cook in their home...i just can't comprehend how you'd be cooking "ewa oloyin" and be adding maggi undecided . some girls can add salt to noodles #experience

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Deeejah(f): 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2016
I stayed off Maggi for a week and used Ginger, garlic, locust beans, onions and curry leaves in its place and I got wonderful tastes and aroma. Believe me, maggi adds nothing to cooking,All u need do is get ur salt right.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by Danfuster(m): 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
women just want the easy way out of cooking, what happened to using "ogiri" and "iru" angry

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by paix(m): 3:48pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
Good evening all

Must u use Maggi?
Please try KNORR cubes. A trial will convince you.
Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by msmon(m): 3:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
This so called seasoning are actually poison, remember the days of our grand parents when they applied iru Pete and ogiri to spice up their food.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by AwajisEJ(m): 3:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Back then in my village when there was no maggi, we use crayfish.... It still tastes good
Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by MrImole: 3:59pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
oga Indomie no be food jare grin Na lazy girls dey cook am
my gf dey use maggi drink gaari.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by AdunniIwo(f): 4:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
Good evening all

Must u use Maggi?

Tell this to my aunt and you'd be barbequed............wt just MAGGI/seasoning (chicken flavour to be precise).

Btw, maggie s nt d only tin dat can kill, sum methods of cooking alone is death!

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by 0ubenji(m): 4:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
grin ;Dkirikiri material
shamecurls:
For the past 5 years, I dont use water, salt, maggi or vegetable oil to cook.

Been eating bread and pepsi all the while

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by khadijah12(f): 4:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
agarawu23:
if after all your seasoning and your food is still tasteless without salt, what's the 'job' of the seasonings then? If salt can give u the perfect taste after adding 10 different seasonings, why cant u come into conclusion that salt is the only key to make your food taste great?

I even hear say all this seasoning dey cause cancer and different types of diseases. Why do villagers live longer than we in the cities? No be because of our chop chop?

Maggi cubes are 80% salt like someone said. I'd rather use maggi than salt. Most times I don't even use salt at all, just maggi. And I like it that way coz to me, it's tastier.

I also heard about the cancer thing... But pls what doesn't cause cancer? Even our mobile phones cause cancer so it's either you embrace technology and "good food" (which is relative that's why I put it in quote) or go to the village and live longer

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by NwaliE01: 4:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
[quote author=carluva post=44075792]Hmmmmmm........
if I talk wetin some gurlz from one part of d country (dnt want to mention d tribe) dey carry my eyes see for ds maggi or no maggi matter eennhh una go pity me cry cry cry cry imagine ds gurls cook BEANS, ordinary BEANS with a minimum of 6 cubes of seasoning, come stew side naaa, dey use a minimum of 9 cubes, d day I found out eernnhh,
your own better oh, my gf used 14 cubes of maggi to prepare a pot of stew. our girls sabi only maggi food.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by AdunniIwo(f): 4:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
msmon:
This so called seasoning are actually poison, remember the days of our grand parents when they applied iru Pete and ogiri to spice up their food.

God bless you! But, do u or do u not like seasoning?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by montezz(f): 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
lifenajeje:
Op point of correction its called seasoning not maggi as maggi is a brand name....am a Knorr fan..forget Knorr chicken...beef etc..nothing like the ordinary Knorr...

To the topic...what is appealing to you is not to others...

Food taste better when seasoned or spiced.

I cook with and without seasing depending on what am eating and how I want the food to taste.

There is no need for argument......

Carry out a blind man's test.. It implies cook same food using same heat..same ingredients...same time ...one with salt and the other with salt and seasoning....serve it in two separate labelled bowls A&B ...blindfold fifty persons and ask them to taste...you can interchange the bowl to serve from first repeatedly... Let them tell u which is tastier....

I made a sugarless ice cream for a friend once he keeps coming back for more...y...cos what is appealing to you is not to others
Thank you jare!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Ladies Cook Without "Maggi"? by blesoh(f): 4:15pm On Mar 27, 2016
How can I cook my soup without maggi , apart from processed food I can never cook without maggi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Please Enough With The Record-A-Thons - GWR Replies Nigerians / My simple Christmas Meal Today!!! Photos / Cancer-Causing Tomato Paste In Nigeria - Reps Alerts Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.