Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units (1878 Views)

Paris Loan Refund: Nigeria’s 36 Governors Threaten War With EFCC Chair, Magu / Jonathan Sends Anyaoku To Beg President Buhari Not To Probe Him- SaharaReporters / Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by holtby09(m): 5:36am On Feb 03, 2016
Conversion of thirty-six states in Nigeria to six federating units will make thrive and get a better result.
The Former Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku who called the National Assembly to convert the existing six-geo political zones into federating units said the present thirty-six states were not viable.
With the new proposal, the present thirty-six states would serve as development zones.
Chief Anyaoku made the call at the Inaugural Conference organised by Ibadan School of Government and Public Policy, ISGPP held at the International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan.
The Former Commonwealth Secretary said there were landmark developments during the early years of Independence when Nigeria practised a true federalism with four regions as federating units.
According to the Elder stateman, the periods of the regional government were the days of significant exports of groundnut from the Northern Region, cocoa from the Western Region, rubber from the Mid-West and palm produce from Eastern Region.
The Chairman of the occasion and former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo who decried the high rate of corruption in the country enjoined the National Assembly to open its budget for public scrutiny.
He called on the Federal Government to address the problem of unemployment while on-going efforts must be intensified to enhance the security of lives and property.
A guest speaker and a Professor of International History and Politics from USA Richard Joseph wondered why Nigeria blessed with the best of human and material resources was still underdeveloped.
The Chairman, Board of Governors, ISGPP, Professor Akin Mabogunje said part of the programmes of the school was to identify and proffer solutions to missing gaps in governance and public policies.
(Source: RADIO NIGERIA )

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Demmocrats(m): 5:38am On Feb 03, 2016
Joker
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Nobody: 5:41am On Feb 03, 2016
Sounds sensible but will surely sound insensible to the "insensibles" at the NASS.undecided

12 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by duduade: 5:46am On Feb 03, 2016
SirJeffry:
Sounds sensible but will surely sound insensible to the "insensibles" at the NASS.undecided

loooool....
Obviously killing their source of corruption...

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by justmenoni: 6:03am On Feb 03, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by abiolert(m): 6:17am On Feb 03, 2016
it would have been better but the powers that be, will not allow it to stand.

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Eledan: 6:20am On Feb 03, 2016
Anyaoku.
Your brothers killed our thriving regionalism experience. The current woes lay squarely on their God forsaken skelentons in shallow graves.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by xxgig(m): 6:34am On Feb 03, 2016
Wise sayings. But nobody will stand and watch honey been taken away from his mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by phemmie06(m): 6:34am On Feb 03, 2016
I hear o, but it will quicken the disintegration of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Musiwa419: 6:40am On Feb 03, 2016
Without True Federalism, Regionalism & Resource Control, The growth and development of Nigeria will remain elusive

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by wytecat: 6:40am On Feb 03, 2016
Regionalism has always been the best way, and that was the reason Yoruba asked for it in the national conference, if other tribes had followed Yoruba to ask for same, there won't be need for side talks that's going on now. Is the man confused or just waking up? His region was against it.

7 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by chinchum(m): 6:44am On Feb 03, 2016
Great idea.

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Musiwa419: 6:44am On Feb 03, 2016
wytecat:
Regionalism has always been the best way, and that was the reason Yoruba asked for it in the national conference, if other tribes had followed Yoruba to ask for same, there won't be need for side talks that's going on now. Is the man confused or just waking up? His region was against it.
Emeka Anyaoku has always been an exponent of Regionalism. The last Confab was a jamboree.

2 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:47am On Feb 03, 2016
Endorsed. The six-state structure should be structured to dovetail with the six geo-political zones structure, with minor changes.

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by wytecat: 6:47am On Feb 03, 2016
Oh ok, but he was silent during the conference.
Musiwa419:
Emeka Anyaoku has always been an exponent of Regionalism. The last Confab was a jamboree.
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:50am On Feb 03, 2016
About time! 36 states, 36 governors, 36 wealth wasters!

You need not be a rocket scientist to fully understand the thought behind Anyaoku's suggestion.

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by mrvitalis(m): 7:35am On Feb 03, 2016
This man is one Igbo man I respect.... Wish he was younger would have fought for him to become president

This is the ideal candidate for minister of national planing

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 03, 2016
this man has been making this proposal for the last 5 to 10years at least

it is the sensible thing to do

especially now that we have no money to maintain these expensive state governors

2 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by BaddieKay(f): 8:18am On Feb 03, 2016
If only they'll agree

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by zendy: 8:56am On Feb 03, 2016
A 6 regional structure is good but it is not enough. The office of executive president must also be abolished and in its place two offices will replace it. The office of the ceremonial president who will be commander in chief and a prime minister who will be head of a Government. Also, there must be a referendum to determin the make up of the regions. As an Anambra man, I want the entire Anioma in the Igbo region including the Igbos of the lower Benue and all Igbo elements in Rivers. I also want any minority of southern Nigeria (with the exception of Edo, but not Igbanke) who feel that they are better off in the Igbo region to say so in a referendum. However, I have to warn Nigerians about something. Should we get our region, we Igbos are most likely to pull out of Nigeria in less than 10 years. The Northerners know this, that's why they are against a regional system of Government.

3 Likes

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by three: 9:05am On Feb 03, 2016
A referendum would sort this out
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by SurefireAsoOke: 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
He has a point.
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by cheruv: 10:56am On Feb 03, 2016
zendy:
A 6 regional structure is good but it is not enough. The office of executive president must also be abolished and in its place two offices will replace it. The office of the ceremonial president who will be commander in chief and a prime minister who will be head of a Government. Also, there must be a referendum to determin the make up of the regions. As an Anambra man, I want the entire Anioma in the Igbo region including the Igbos of the lower Benue and all Igbo elements in Rivers. I also want any minority of southern a Nigeria (with the exception of Edo, but not Igbanke) who feel that they are better off in the Igbo region to say so in a referendum. However, I have to warn Nigerians about something. Should we get our region, we Igbos are most likely to pull out of Nigeria in less than 10 years. The Northerners know this, that's why they are against a regional system of Government.
I'd also endorse your proposal with a map....

1 Like

Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by IkpuMmadu: 11:11am On Feb 03, 2016
zendy:
A 6 regional structure is good but it is not enough. The office of executive president must also be abolished and in its place two offices will replace it. The office of the ceremonial president who will be commander in chief and a prime minister who will be head of a Government. Also, there must be a referendum to determin the make up of the regions. As an Anambra man, I want the entire Anioma in the Igbo region including the Igbos of the lower Benue and all Igbo elements in Rivers. I also want any minority of southern Nigeria (with the exception of Edo, but not Igbanke) who feel that they are better off in the Igbo region to say so in a referendum. However, I have to warn Nigerians about something. Should we get our region, we Igbos are most likely to pull out of Nigeria in less than 10 years. The Northerners know this, that's why they are against a regional system of Government.

Why are people weary and scared of associating with edo and Yoruba in south if Nigeria

Are they this nasty
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by zendy: 11:16am On Feb 03, 2016
cheruv:

I'd also endorse your proposal with a map....

I like that map. It is the closest I have seen to what an Igbo/Igboid region should be. However, I'm not sure if it captures the Igbos of the lower Benue, the Umu-Ezeokoha people. It still staggers me how over 1 million ethnic Igbos that should have been in Ebonyi state were maliciously carved into Benue. There must be a referendum!!!
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by zendy: 11:32am On Feb 03, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Why are people weary and scared of associating with edo and Yoruba in south if Nigeria

Are they this nasty

Those "Yoruboids" are their own people and self confessed agents of the sokoto caliphate. It is in our long term interests to stay well away from them.
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by IkpuMmadu: 11:48am On Feb 03, 2016
zendy:

Those "Yoruboids" are their own people and self confessed agents of the sokoto caliphate. It is in our long term interests to stay well away from them.

Well I tend to concur with you
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by Abagworo(m): 12:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
It can no longer work because of interests. Let us just give autonomy to each of the 36 States.
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by cheruv: 1:55pm On Feb 03, 2016
Abagworo:
It can no longer work because of interests. Let us just give autonomy to each of the 36 States.
Which interest
The peasantry found in the seven ohaneze States won't mind being unified into a powerful state... If the elites have anything against it,its solely their problem
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by obailala(m): 2:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
wytecat:
And where did you get that impression from that 'his region opposed it'?... Why dont you get your facts right before coming online to make comments?
Re: Anyaoku Proposes Reduction Of Nigeria’s 36 States Into 6 Units by santori: 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Are they this nasty

what makes you think the edos & yorubas would want to share the same country with a mofo like you and your ilks. gerarehia!!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

21 Brutal Rules Of Warfare According To Battle Tested Soldiers / These Are The Factors Behind The Current Fuel Scarcity In Nigeria / Shame On Fayose.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.