Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,929 members, 7,806,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? (4390 Views)

When You Are A Drop Out In Nigeria (picture) / How Do You Tell Your Parents You Want To Drop Out Of School / I Want To Drop Out Of School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Bulga(m): 12:45pm On Oct 31, 2006
How Can A Drop-Out Go Back & Acquire Higher Education?

Hello Nairalanders,

I just learned of this forum from a friend. Wow, it's very interesting and educative. You are doing a great job.

I would like you guys to please advice me on what to do. I was not privileged enough to acquire good education because of poverty. I dropped out of secondary school without taking WAEC examinations because I was angry at life and I wanted to make a better life for myself and my family.

After dropping out of school I managed to travel to Bulgaria. Initially, I did menial jobs. At a time, I developed business relationships with some traders in Nigeria and some other African countries and started supplying them with goods. So money started coming in and my family back home started smiling.

To make a long story short, I am now 33 year old and a holder of Bulgarian passport. As from January 2007 Bulgaria will become a member of the European Union. So I would like to relocate to the UK to see if I can go back to school.

Please advice me on how I can brush myself up and acquire higher education over there.

Thanks in advance.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Ezecom(m): 11:01pm On Nov 11, 2006
@Bulga

Go ahead and make your dreams a reality. What you need is Pre-Access and/or Access courses. The courses are aimed at adults (minimum age is 19) who want to study but don’t have the necessary qualifications to get into higher education. They’re an ideal way to get back into the study habit by introducing you not just to the subject but how to learn at this level. Access courses are provided in the UK by many further education colleges, as well as some universities, and take up to a year to complete. However, they are flexible and some people take their time and study over two years.

You’ll usually be able to study full or part-time. In between, you’ll study on your own or meet up with others on your course, and this is all part of what the course is about. You’ll be introduced to the study skills you need, such as taking notes and revising, writing essays or reports and researching topics in the library or on the internet.

Access courses start off with a gentle introduction to study, but by the end you'll have all the knowledge and skills you need to progress to higher education and achieve the qualifications you’re aiming for. You will have also spent a year or more studying alongside people who have goals and aspirations like yourself, which can be a great source of support.

This is the right route for you, get in touch with some colleges and universities over there and obtain the information you need, they will point you towards the nearest course that's right for you

Courses usually cover a broad subject area, for example, business, science or humanities (which touches on geography, history and other subjects). This means you can begin to study even if you’re not yet sure what course or qualification you eventually want to aim for. Your tutors on the course will be able to help you make the right choice and help with any application to higher education you decide to make.

Check out the following link for more information www.ocnlr.org.uk/accessdirectory/help.html

Besides, as an European Union student, I believe you will qualify for financial support.

Good luck my dear.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by worldz(m): 4:46pm On Nov 13, 2006
I have a friend that was dropped out from school by the step mother.

I know what she is going through right now, the despair and all that, She speaks well but could not read nor write. There are times she would just sit and start crying with the thought of not having a secondary school education.

Please is there anywhere where she can learn how to read and write, and probably get a high school education, so that she get her O'levels.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by dennylove(m): 7:48pm On Nov 13, 2006
very simple!!!!!go to any school you wish to study and make an enquiry,if you meet up with the school requirement ,fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!,then ask for the next thing to do.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by sammyjl(f): 6:59am On Nov 14, 2006
cool Hi there

Go ahead and enquire about the requirements in that particular country if one wishes to study. I dont see a problem with you continuing your education. There's no age limit in education and everyday we learn something new.

Believe in God, he's always there to listen.

Good luck
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by diyobdw(f): 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2006
it start with determination followed by endurance and persistence
In short before seeking any information be sure it what you want and it is for the right reason then be enthusiastic about it. When you feel enthusiastic, nothing can stop you! http://www.mindjuicezine.com/mjtoday.html
Gooing back to school after a while is not that easy undecided
but can be done cheesy
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by candylips(m): 7:41pm On Nov 14, 2006
Just follow your dreams. It is never too late to go to school. Be determined and you will get there.
Good luck
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Ndipe(m): 8:02am On Nov 15, 2006
Your best bet, if you reside abroad would be to contact your local community colleges and explain your dilema. They would, most readily accomodate you. For Nigerians, I don't know, how the system works, how about contacting the local/branch office of the Ministry of Education?

Goodluck.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by domwas2(m): 2:50pm On Nov 15, 2006
hi guy,
You want to take your career to the next level; and the prospect of becoming a student again - especially when you already work a 24/7 job - is overwhelming. But don't rule school out yet! It is possible to return to school while balancing your personal and professional responsibilities.
You go ahead and follow ur mind.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by kg(f): 4:17pm On Nov 15, 2006
I'm happy for you and I'm glad you want to go back to school. Simply make enquiry in any school you desire,

You can also check the internet for information.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by GypsyLady: 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2006
i'm delighted for you, please follow your dreams, i know this must have been in your heart for sometime, and you actually could have done it before now but you kept putting it off.
i want to believe you're about to actually do it NOW
come on man, you can do it.
yes its a lot of hard work but since when did hard work kill anybody?
i am impressed by your write-up, it speaks of intelligence and i believe that YOU CAN DO IT
good luck, brother.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by gem87(f): 12:22pm On Nov 16, 2006
well, since i hv an idea on how d education system in the u.k works the best thing to do is go into one of the colleges and apply 4 a level 2 qualification or equivalent which is basically gcse/waec then u build it up from there
or
you can do something more vocational, depending on the college, u're likely to be spoilt for choice and will be offered flexibility that way you work and learn, but make sure u get loads of info before making applications so u know what options you have,
gudluck.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by waleleader(m): 9:31am On Nov 17, 2006
@bulga,
Congratulations on taking the first step by asking for help. Once you legally enter the UK, you can take up a college course at any college in your borough. Most of the courses are free (EU Residents only) and your age is an advantage.
if you think you are up to the challenge, you can even start a university degree immediately at any British university. Your age qualifies you automatically and your business experience is an advantage. I wish you the best.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by lioness(f): 9:54am On Nov 17, 2006
u've got the determination so i guess it shd be easier for u to go back and go through school.

pick up where you left off and Keep focus.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by domwas2(m): 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2006
hi Bulga,
i'm happy the room is in surport and giving u positive ideas,just go on because is good to be back again!

keep it up room!!!
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by lioness(f): 8:43am On Nov 21, 2006
smiley
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by trendy(f): 5:42pm On Nov 21, 2006
with the determination to further your study
without determiantion i dont thinj a drop out stand any chance at all
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Bulga(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2006
I thank you all for the responses and the support am getting. They mean a lot to me.

At present, I am conducting careful research that will enable me to choose a course (access or vocational) and an institution I will study at. Besides, I have packed my belongings, I am waiting for January to relocate to London. So there's no element of procrastination.

Once again, thanks. I will keep following this thread so any advice you give will still be highly appreciated.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by chyziani: 6:36pm On Nov 22, 2006
Bulga:

I thank you all for the responses and the support am getting. They mean a lot to me.

At present, I am conducting careful research that will enable me to choose a course (access or vocational) and an institution I will study at. Besides, I have packed my belongings, I am waiting for January to relocate to London. So there's no element of procrastination.

Once again, thanks. I will keep following this thread so any advice you give will still be highly appreciated.

I believe you gat no more problem , you've made the very right decision, CONGRATULATIONS MAN!
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by lioness(f): 9:26am On Nov 23, 2006
cool
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Ezecom(m): 1:15pm On Dec 17, 2006
@ Bulga

I came across another post of yours in the career section where you talked about going for nursing or printing technology. Man, I have seen that you are very very serious about changing the direction of your life. I admire your determination and once again, I congratulate you for making a sound decision that can only make your circumstances better.

Once you get to campus you will be amazed at the many mature adult students you will see! So ignore how some people look at you for not being in the same boat as everyone else. Know inside, that in the back of their minds or the depths of their heart, they have respect for you for going through with this despite difficulties and for being unique, brave and intelligent.

Good luck, brother.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by lioness(f): 1:00pm On Dec 27, 2006
cool
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by Bulga(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2006
@Lioness
Please why only icon most of the time?

Happy New Year to you and to other Nairalanders.
Re: How Can A Drop-Out Go Back For More Education? by candylips(m): 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2007
she uses it when she aint gat nothing to say

(1) (Reply)

Gce 2011/2012 Form Out / Photoshopped Photo Of Nicki Minaj Rocking Nysc Crested Vest... (see Photo) / Covenant University 2nd Batch Admission List Postponed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.