Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students (8357 Views)

Rioting Students In Kano Destroy School Properties (Photos) / ASUU: We Have Had A Enough Of Toying With The Future Of Students -aruna Kadiri / Protesting FUTO Students Bring Down School Statue, Destroy Library (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by protonz(m): 9:57am On Feb 03, 2016
After beating d cutoff mark for our respective dept d university Of Lagos has denied us (premedical) of our right to crossover to 200l.

They even intentionally delayed in releasing d crossover list, allowing d innocent students to waste their time coming for lectures, submitting assignments, buying textbk, even going as far as renting an apartment close to luth in other to attend lectures, since some people live very far from d sch. Just for us to check d list one afternoon after lecture n not find our names, after beating d cutoff!!!.

We appeal to all well meaning Nigerians to pls help our plight!!!. After all d night reading at AKT n Social sc, some id*ot lecturer was know telling us to go take another jamb that we were no more students of the institution.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Youngsage: 2:42pm On Feb 03, 2016
you don't say!! shocked This is serious....

I'm coming
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by MisterDreamz(m): 2:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
As serious as this is,it doesn't shock me!
All these first generation universities are just nepotistic. Someone will now expect miracle to happen in the health sector, when it's not even the qualified students that are being trained.
Please do all you can to fight for your right! sad
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by ademiD(f): 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by davbravo(m): 6:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
protonz:
After beating d cutoff mark for our respective dept d university Of Lagos has denied us (premedical) of our right to crossover to 200l, sub changing our names with that of diploma students who unarguably paid their way through.

They even intentionally delayed in releasing d crossover list, allowing d innocent students to waste their time coming for lectures, submitting assignments, buying textbk, even going as far as renting an apartment close to luth in oder to attend lectures, since some people live very far from d sch. Just for us to check d list one afternoon after lecture n not find our names their after beating d cutoff!!!.

We appeal to all well meaning Nigerians to pls help our plight!!!. After all d night reading at AKT n Social sc, some id*ot lecturer was know telling us to go take another jamb that we were no more students of the institution.
pls dont blame the diploma students....we didn't enter 200level through any dubious means.........n ur names were not replaced with that of diploma students.......we got d DE form n we were admitted through d right means....we also fought for d limited spaces.......in medicine over 300students were admitted into d diploma programme but only 65( n quota for medicine is 150) scaled through to 200level after writing an A'level exam approved by jamb, NUC, some universities in d south, etc......which is JUPEB( the highest point attainable is 16points n d cutoff for medicine to cross was 16 points which shows that they really passed n even those that were 1point below were not admitted into medicine)..........even my course MLS, we were about 50 initially but only 18crossed from diploma n 33 students from 100level were picked ( thats approximately 40% for diploma n 60% for those frm 100level)......i don't like it when you say we paid for d space( you paid ur sch fees, we also paid ours, just because ours was on d high side doesn't mean we paid for d space)......There are different ways of entering into d university either through DE or utme( and each as a quota for crossing over to 200level)......N d reason y u didn't cross maybe because a lot of students met d cutoff used in d past so they had to increase d cutoff....So pls I repeat, don't blame us we also read, did overnight so we could also cross and the huge sum of money we paid as school fees won't be wasted......blame d sch for admitting more than they can accommodate......I feel ur pain sha, cos some of my friends also didnt cross..don't know y d sch didn't release d crossover list early n now u guys have limited options..y will they tel u to take another jamb, that's absurd......MAY GOD HELP YOU

12 Likes

Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by labodinho: 8:15pm On Feb 03, 2016
Been looking for this topic and someone to table it,been offline since saturday,could ve been more informed.
Heard this ish at Fac. Of Science yesterday that CGPA of 4.1 was used for Mbbs and that made them have 60 students going to idi araba,very bad.

Plz OP is there no room for repeaters or why the "take another jamb" tin? Haven't heard this b4 for normal utme student when itz nt diploma.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by protonz(m): 8:20am On Feb 04, 2016
labodinho:
Been looking for this topic and someone to table it,been offline since saturday,could ve been more informed.
Heard this ish at Fac. Of Science yesterday that CGPA of 4.1 was used for Mbbs and that made them have 60 students going to idi araba,very bad.

Plz OP is there no room for repeaters or why the "take another jamb" tin? Haven't heard this b4 for normal utme student when itz nt diploma.

Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by labodinho: 9:31am On Feb 04, 2016
protonz:

this is serious o.It's the issue with present 200L MBBS/BDS that led to all these issues cos they are almost or more than 150 at the moment and accommodation is not favouring 300L mbbs guys thr at idi araba too.I thought you guys wanted to protest or have they done that?what was the criteria for BDS crossing?
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by protonz(m): 11:18am On Feb 04, 2016
3.5, picked just 19 including 3 MBBS students.
The list for radiography is still not out, don't know why.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by femozy: 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2016
I crave the indulgence of this media outlet to look into this matter going on currently at the University of Lagos. Students who were admitted into medical courses in 2014 were given a criteria to meet in their 100l  exams which is either a g.p of  2.0 or an average of 50/50/50 in their biological, physical and chemical aspects of their course to be able to cross to the college of medicine Idi-Araba.
      That is what we students were told on entry into the university during the orientation. And now upon seeing the list, the criteria was changed  not informing we students about it, picking just a few students, And not taking in those who passed the previous criteria given. On a normal circumstance those who can't make it are to take a change of course form into other available courses in the university but that closed only few days before the list of students that passed  the new criteria given was released. With the School fees portal closed, change of course closed, course registration closed. We re now being told to go and take another Jamb or differ our admissions to 2017. After spending a year in the school. Is that fair? On behalf of we affected students in the college of medicine Idi-Araba,  I ask that your media house sees into this matter and see that our rights as students are not taking for granted.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by labodinho: 12:46pm On Feb 04, 2016
Heard you guys are gonna get a lawyer.You all shouldn't relax and settle for less.If they wanted 4.11 cgpa,they should ve said that during orientation.

Unilag Pre-Med. crossing crisis for session 2014/2015

The long awaited list for the normal crossing of pre-medical student(100L) to pre-clinical(200L) was released this week on 1st of February,2016.Owing to the the normal criteria for crossing to 200L medical student which is 50-50-50 i.e. 50 in Physicals,50 in Chemicals and 50 in Biological courses and failure to the criteria will lead to repeating 100L and another failure in the repeated year will lead to change to another course in the Faculty of Science.But the list released turned the table all around which led to the crisis on ground.

There was a meeting held second semester the pre-med. student last session,2014/2015, with the Sub-Dean of Faculty of Science during the second semester which the main bone of contention of the meeting was that “adding the previous criteria which was the 50-50-50,the CGPA of the student will be a reference in determining their crossing over too” but then, the CGPA to be used was not given and cgpa to be used became a puzzle in everyone’s mind. https://unilaglabodinho./2016/02/05/unilag-pre-med-crossing-crisis-for-session-20142015/
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Talkloaded: 1:07pm On Feb 04, 2016
/dIrxmS
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hmmm, just like 10-8-8 in Engineering.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by lovely17(m): 2:31pm On Feb 04, 2016
Lalasticlala,Farano, Seun, Prettythicksme,Ehmmm who else come here oh come and drive this truck to front page this is serious matter
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by fortuneobi(m): 2:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
Lalasticlala ,farano...this need to be moved to front page abeg......
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by demi55: 3:32pm On Feb 04, 2016
protonz:
dentistry is 3.0 ooooh
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by demi55: 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
labodinho:
Heard you guys are gonna get a lawyer.You all shouldn't relax and settle for less.If they wanted 4.11 cgpa,they should ve said that during orientation.
true!!!!!
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by protonz(m): 3:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
demi55:
dentistry is 3.0 ooooh
kk. A friend in dentistry told me it was 3.5.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Philipsdael(m): 7:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Unilag is fast becoming a very stupid school.
I and my course mate rounded up our Diploma program since mid last year (2015) and believe me sincerely , the school have not issued our certificate to us....
claiming that the senate is probing our result .
I was at HRDC Admin office two weeks ago, the man I met in office told me the board will be having next meeting by March.
that's when they will resolve our issue that have been pending since mid last year.
Unilag has become a forbidden fruit in my sight .
they collect exorbitant fees from us coupled with their expensive text books and still student face numerous ordeal .
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by davbravo(m): 7:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
protonz:
but its so painfully to have to wait for another year......why will d transfer form close when they know d crossover list wasn't out..... it's a pity.......N d radiography list was released this afternoon, only 19students crossed over, cutoff 3.4
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
protonz:
After beating d cutoff mark for our respective dept d university Of Lagos has denied us (premedical) of our right to crossover to 200l, sub changing our names with that of diploma students who unarguably paid their way through.

They even intentionally delayed in releasing d crossover list, allowing d innocent students to waste their time coming for lectures, submitting assignments, buying textbk, even going as far as renting an apartment close to luth in oder to attend lectures, since some people live very far from d sch. Just for us to check d list one afternoon after lecture n not find our names their after beating d cutoff!!!.

Sorry to say but in med school always be at the top of your game. Don’t settl for cut offs strive to be best. Get your lawyer and prove the school has no right to dismiss you but getting back medicine myt be difficult. Maybe you can ask about what happened in unijos med school in 2011.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by demi55: 8:36pm On Feb 04, 2016
Efriday1:

Sorry to say but in med school always be at the top of your game. Don’t settl for cut offs strive to be best. Get your lawyer and prove the school has no right to dismiss you but getting back medicine myt be difficult. Maybe you can ask about what happened in unijos med school in 2011.
wat happened
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by dhebo(m): 8:39pm On Feb 04, 2016
mehn!!!really pity u guys.not just renting apartment but d wasted year
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by labodinho: 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2016
davbravo:
but its so painfully to have to wait for another year......why will d transfer form close when they know d crossover list wasn't out..... it's a pity.......N d radiography list was released this afternoon, only 19students crossed over, cutoff 3.4

Meaning BDS was 3.5 not 3.0 ryt?
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Fash20: 10:00pm On Feb 04, 2016
This is not good at all. How will you ask students to get another jamb cus they fail to pass the cutoff make for med school.

You guys should take this issue serious before its too late.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by teasel: 10:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
I hate nepotism!
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
University of Lagos has always been known to be an institution that favours money over merit when admitting students. I am not surprised.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by nevi12(f): 11:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ive been expectin Dis thread since last yr....unilag has finished us after all d overnyt jackin nd all dmoney we spent dey r still playin wit our future its not fair at all..

We dat dey" manage" to admit deyve refused to give us hostel.i dunno were to start frm in fighting dat school
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by labodinho: 1:14am On Feb 05, 2016
It's not about the "money" issue....I guess they want to make foundation and utme student have equal chances in the 200L slot 50:50(which isn't followed though) but the "little" mistake,which is not "big", is that they didn't state thr criteria clearly b4.Reason I said "little" is that there was a warning that 1st point "if you're not sure of ur result before being pasted,u can come and change your course" which same was told to foundation students before the result was release which some refused n some did a change then.And again,they said in an impromptu meeting during the semester that your CGPA now count in the crossing criteria which made is 2nd point The school is to be blamed but not totally to be blamed.The cgpa shouldn't have been that high and they wouldn't have admitted much since they know they want to change there carrying capacity.

I pray they resolve it asap cos 200l have started reg. at CMUL yesterday and course reg has closed for the semester 31st of Jan.let's keep hoping,God Bless.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by benji93: 5:45am On Feb 05, 2016
In my opinion, the school is to be blamed for this experience.
1.Why would they release the list late?
2. Why would the system admit students competing for the same spot into different pre-programs?
3. Why is there no contingency plan to take care of this case?
The media at large must be engaged in this, Justice must be served.
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by demi55: 5:51am On Feb 05, 2016
labodinho:

it was 3.0!
Re: UNILAG Wants To Destroy D Future Of Premed Students by demi55: 5:51am On Feb 05, 2016
labodinho:

it was 3.0!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nda 62nd Regular Results Out! / Shame On UNILORIN As ASUU Strike Ends / Uniport Basic Studies Programme 2008/2009 Application Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.