Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) (11035 Views)

Should I Quit My Present Job For A Federal Government Job? / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / Should I Quit My Job Now And Get Over N8m Payoff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by persist: 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2009
Mistake choosing my first JOb

I am working for a great computer programming company here in nigeria.I started two months ago.THough I studied physics I was given a chance to prove my self in programming.I Loved the little I used to do while i was in school but now after like two month I fell like hell My head pounds during work and I get scared like shit.I am not even producing good code.The thing seems very stressful.

Please guys I am thinking of quitting with my integrity intact before one boss starts shouting Useless on me.I am confused should I quit.I feel like I should switch to networking by attending at least a three month course.

NB A friend help me get this job actually and he said if i should quit within 2 months I will look like I cam to siphon some cash and run and also It will give him a bad name in the company since I entered through his recommendation.

Guy what should i do .Should I quit and just change careers?
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by douecho: 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2009
No need to quit.every new jobs seems scary in the beginning. most likely by the time you've spent 4 or 5 months on the job, you'll feel different. Also, like you said, you got the job by recommendation and you dont want the person who recommended you to look silly. so,stick with the job and if in a few months time you really feel like its not doing it for you,you can send in ur resignation knowing that you gave it your best. also, sitting at home and going for training will be extremely boring and it doesnt pay the bills.
hang in there for a while!
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by walakolobo: 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2009
boy - you better quite or else you will become a crazed man in less than one week from now. This thing happened to my - I got this contract where I will be earning £300 every day for like 6months, I thought I knew the job, I went in there like a genius, u know, trying to become Michael Jackson or something, one week, two weeks, three weeks, i havent written another code apart from studying the one I inherited from the last guy- look, and these project has deadlines and stuff, each night, i go home with the work laptop, with the mind that i will study overnight and write all the codes in one day, for where, boy, i wan craze, got to a stage, my di ck even wont rise to any occassion, i willbe writing codes inside my woman pu ssy with my di ck when i should actualy be foking her, oh boy, i tried, but my saving grace was thet i was also foking the project leader, no other team member knew i was doing that, but when the realisation dawned on her, even my sweet di ck couldnt save me, i was booted out like spermatozoa during ejaculation, so oh boy, na warn i don warn you so, leaaave.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by douecho: 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2009
@ Walakolobo!ever heard of too much information?
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by egolaw75: 4:41pm On Jul 01, 2009
walakolobo where r u from sef? u sound too unserious 4 dis forum and ur words are true.
i will advice the guy to quit now before he go crazy
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by kingsolve(m): 5:59pm On Jul 01, 2009
I realise that nowadays a whole lot of us just manage at a job we are not so comfortable with. If you do a job you are not passionate or interested about why stick up your neck there. Each moment you spend will be unfulfilling to you cos it's not what you love. I know a lot of people who struggle to keep up with a job like that. You wont be helping yourself that way. You have a choice. If you continue with a job that doesn't give you fulfillment you might just be filled with frustrations. No matter how much they pay you, if you discover where your passion truly lies and go for it, you'll be more fulfilled and you'll even earn far more than you ever imagined. We human beings are UNLIMITED. Dont limit yourself. Life should be enjoyed and not endured. Save yourself the heartaches and do what you were created for. To your success.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by onlyu: 12:36pm On Jul 02, 2009
I will advice that you try as much as you can to develope interest and love for the job, ask your self such questions as: how can i succeed in this job? how can be more intereted in the job? i also advice that you have that believe in your ability to succeed and always picture your self succeed.

Best of luck
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by Unubi(f): 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2009
Guy, jobs are not easy to come by but with God, all things are possible. Keep managing your job and make efforts to secure another job. Trust God, your life fulfilling job will come.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by jumie(f): 10:00am On Jul 03, 2009
@ poster,

I will say its just a little early (2 months) to make up your mind about quitting ur job. All kinds of jobs have their own challenges, most especially in the first few months of resumption. The most important thing is for you to be in the right frame of mind to handle responsibility. I suggest you talk with your boss and ask for a few days casual leave so you could get your acts together.

Since you have interest in IT as you said, just keep at it and DON'T QUIT TOO SOON!!!

You can do it, believe in yourself!

Cheers
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by tomelistic(f): 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2009
my dear i concur with others, is just too early to conclude. since u have a little interest, you can be attending the training and at the same time be working. if we shud sit down and wait for the work that we like in this country, hunger will send us to grave. is all about falling in luv with the work we do and not doing the work we luv. wen nigeria becomes better then the reverse can be the case. so learn to plan ur work and take a break often. it will go long way to help u. cheers wink
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by spector: 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2009
press on.if after u dont get job satisfaction,QUIT
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by declem(m): 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
guy,u should nt quite d job.cos jobs are very hard 2get.jst try ur possible best.cheer up
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by clensman(m): 2:15am On Jul 06, 2009
most jobs people gets this days is hardly related to the choosing field but people still go for it just to keep body and soul together.but not withstand you can still search for jobs that is related to your choosing field.If you're to cope with the nature of the job, you would have cope or get used to the job btw the first and second weeks of your resumption.The choose is your if you decided to stay or leave. you still make the right choose.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by titsqueez(m): 12:52pm On Jul 07, 2009
@ OP

your name is persist . . . need i say anymore?
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by javalove(m): 1:00pm On Jul 07, 2009
Hmmmm. . . .

There are no two ways about it. In IT profession, IF U CANT DELIVER, U ARE OUT!!!!! Its eiter you know the job or you don't. What are you supposed to be doing. . .write codes? What d the codes do? cos at the end of the day, its not about how much code you can write, its about RESULTS! Are you the only IT guy in the company or you are working woth several IT guys?

From your post above, it seems to me you dont know jack about the job you are given so I ADVISE YOU TO QUIT BEFORE TOMMOROW MORNING grin grin grin ITS THE BEST FOR YOU.

Many people dont understand that we IT guys are n ot different from carpenters ot car mechanics. . .YOU JUST MUST KNOW THE JOB. . .You can flaunt certificates from now till tommorow but IF U DONT KNOW THE REAL THING, MY BROTHER, TRY ACCOUNTING OR BANKING!!!
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by Spyker: 1:08pm On Jul 07, 2009
What do you really love? Many of us (Nigerians) are always in search of jobs and would do anything to get it. I suggest you ask yourself this question, WHAT DO I REALLY LOVE IN THIS JOB? You answer would determine what you should do next because the answer lies with you. I will advice you to do what makes you happy because i will NEVER trade my happiness for any thing.

GOODLUCK
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by meekas(m): 1:10pm On Jul 07, 2009
@ Poster
I am facing almost the same problem, but i think the best thing like somebody said is to go for more cos i still go for weekend classes in programming too.
So, don't quit too soon.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by eyonigger(m): 1:15pm On Jul 07, 2009
bro its better u quit b4 u run mad, dhtml is an example, a programmer that was offered a moderator position on NL here, the dude is nothing but a deranged/delusional forum thug now, due to java codes running tru his head.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by javalove(m): 1:28pm On Jul 07, 2009
eyonigger:

bro its better u quit b4 u run mad, dhtml is an example, a programmer that was offered a moderator position on NL here, the dude is nothing but a deranged/delusional forum thug now, due to java codes running tru his head.

java, codes or dhtml doesnt make people mad my friend
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by ade2kay(m): 1:35pm On Jul 07, 2009
@poster, the answer to your question is in your screen name: persist !

You remind me so much of my first job.

The solution: Dont be too afraid, be calm, codes dont bite
Just take it piece-meal, step by step
Get each line to work, then a code block, then a method, then a class, then a package, then an API

Learn to break the complexity into small chunks, and i bet you, when you finally get it, you won't want to leave programming for any other job in your life.

Above all, read, read, read, read, and, make www.google.com your homepage cheesy

Cheers
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by Nezan(m): 1:36pm On Jul 07, 2009
u not comfortable, u leave
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by DisGuy: 1:53pm On Jul 07, 2009
two months is way too early for you to quit!
think about your intergrity- quitter!
think about the person that recommended you
just think how about some few more weeks you can actually make friends
or get chatting to people that will make it more productive for you at work
atleast try achieve something before you leave so you dont dent your confidence!

wherever you go one manager will shout things at you anyway you dont become a superheor overnight!

you should atleast spend six months there, the little you do will help you in the future,you'll gain skills and
probably get a good recommendation
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 07, 2009
I've worked in programming jobs for years, and have been doing it since secondary sch, but even now at times, I still get scared, and all that, especially when I got a deadline, even now, I have 2 project managers asking me when the code will be ready for the customer. I simply convert the pressure and stress into energy, and use it to push me to just find a solution. At times also, you can relax, look at the challenge from another angle, and remember, code is logical, theres always a solution.
It might feel challenging at the beginning, but just keep plodding along, even people with talent at what they do, have to put in some effort. If you want to switch to networking because you think it's 'easy', then how will you act when something challenging comes up? Will you also quit?
Make this a learning experience, and enjoy yourself!
See you at the top!
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by javalove(m): 1:58pm On Jul 07, 2009
ade2kay:

@poster, the answer to your question is in your screen name: persist !

You remind me so much of my first job.

The solution: Dont be too afraid, be calm, codes dont bite
Just take it piece-meal, step by step
Get each line to work, then a code block, then a method, then a class, then a package, then an API

Learn to break the complexity into small chunks, and i bet you, when you finally get it, you won't want to leave programming for any other job in your life.

Above all, read, read, read, read, and, make www.google.com your homepage cheesy

Cheers

these are things he should have done before getting a job. i dont want to employ a liability. . i want som1 who can contribute positively to a process. . . and not just me, most employers too. . .
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by sirt1(m): 2:00pm On Jul 07, 2009
@ poster,

The key word here is persistence. Dont quit, cos if u do, u may live to regret this for the rest of your life. I will advise you arrange for personal trainig during weekend, do a lot of research on the net, relate with senior colleaques at work and open your heart to new innovations. Ori gige ko ni ogun ori fifo ( i.e cutting ones head is not solution to headache)

Belief in your self that u can do it, and be prayerful.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by blissieng(f): 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2009
I can relate to this very well.

I'm in my first job/role after uni. I was dumped into the  Job(system analyst)., no specific training etc

I nearly P*&S 4 pant, but I kept asking the Holy Spirit for help EVERYDAY, because my dear no one else can help u. I was and still is, the youngest, only femal and Black in my team, that's in States, EMEA and ASIA, can u beat that?!
It was even more of a challenge because freshers, or ppl without experience are not employed in this team.

Its funny how we ask God for jobs and then start asking for grace afterwards. . . Anywayz 2 cut a very long story short. At the end, I got a pay rise and bonus in just 6 months! God is good. [shakes head].

I still ask Him for help because technology in a very volatile world of Investment bank aint beans mehn!
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by kwende(m): 2:06pm On Jul 07, 2009
What Platform are u working on?. I migth be able to help u depending on the platform u are utilizing.
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by ngel0v3(m): 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2009
Learning programming is like learning a new language such as French or Arabic. If you can take a leave for 2 months or so, then you SHOULD go a-learning. But you get mind in the first place shah,
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by beknown(m): 2:38pm On Jul 07, 2009
Persist,

You cannot continue to hide your lack of skill in programming. As a Physics graduate, there is a wide difference between Physics and Programming. It will be better if you quit this job for your peace and sanity. I know you are having sleepless nights about your current job. If you quit, you will be doing your employer a favour big time. Your employer needs to move forward. Good intensive training will help you but you must be serious.

I am a Software Developer here in London. I know your predicament and you cannot hide from it for too long.

Get another job or get correct Programming training online and intensive coaching from Remedial Courses. You will spend some money on Remedial courses - it is not free. You must be serious about learning because Programming is the most complex part of Computer Science. In fact some Nigeria graduates in Computer Science do not know Programming and I am not surprise that many of them cannot find work.

In the UK, Nigeria graduates in Computer Science are enrolling for another undergraduate course in Computer Science to help them meet up with their technical capability e.g. Programming.

The Holy Spirit can help if you know him and you have made the effort to help yourself.

If you need to get in touch with me, e-mail me on: bennyowen@email.com
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by Djcizle: 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2009
you been daft when you accept the job in the first place stop being lazy and do your job
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by hayo(m): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2009
Even though u were recommended for the job; there was an interview process where your capabilities were put to test.
If they don't think you have the potentials, the job won't even come near you in the first instance.
Think of it this way - if u studied computer science or IT in college, I can say they gave u d job due to your degree. But to offer a Physics graduate such a job means they actually studied you enough. Programming is not just any job you can offer any sharp graduate.
I think you are just fretting over nothing. There are times in our careers even for those with a lot of experience when we hit brickwalls. But my dear, it mostly reside in your head as your bosses might actually be impressed with you at the moment meanwhile you were thinking otherwise.
You need to start using the power of positive thinking from now. Think that your projects and codes will come out well. Be focused. Join coding forums and get mentoring from more senior coders (A lot of dem are here in NL). And as someone said; Google is ur best friend in this. And by the way, what platforms and language do you code with?
If you run from this. You will keep running!
Re: Should I Quit My Programming Job? (Can't Cope) by BigStar1(m): 3:30pm On Jul 07, 2009
@poster
I don't think the best option is for u to quit.
1. If u quit where do u want to start?
2. You need to be trainable.
3. though u may consider networking simpler (which is true) but u should always ready for challange
I.T is dynamic i nature. Moreso, networking also involves some kinds of programming called network programming(if i actually guess right)
In short, i will advice u to stick to tha job and start liasing with other programmers(If you have something u considered difficult for u to solved, they can help u solve it but u should always be ready to learn it ursef.
"Stick to one thing untill u get there" Abraham Lincon

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Governor Increases Workers’ Salaries, Employs 400 / Oracle Consulting Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (9 Positions) / Tetra Pak Appoints Oshiokamele Aruna - Its First Nigerian Managing Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.