Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Will A Nigerian Ielts Coaching School Be Useful To Score Very High Marks? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Will A Nigerian Ielts Coaching School Be Useful To Score Very High Marks? (729 Views)

Pay On Arrival University In Canada Without Ielts Or Toefl / The World Celebrates 2017 Under Very High Security / Flight & Hotel Reservation For Visa - Useful Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will A Nigerian Ielts Coaching School Be Useful To Score Very High Marks? by mctowel01: 5:35pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hello everyone, I want to enquire about something. I have a target of getting minimum of 8 in all bands in ielts. Is it advisable to use a nigerian ielts coaching school or online self-study. I know that the writing and speaking parts will require someone to grade me in practice. I want to really know if the nigerian coaching schools are worth the time. Or should I just switch to Toefl since its all computer based as they are both accepted where I am applying to.
Re: Will A Nigerian Ielts Coaching School Be Useful To Score Very High Marks? by irondome: 9:11am On Feb 05, 2016
mctowel01:
Hello everyone, I want to enquire about something. I have a target of getting minimum of 8 in all bands in ielts. Is it advisable to use a nigerian ielts coaching school or online self-study. I know that the writing and speaking parts will require someone to grade me in practice. I want to really know if the nigerian coaching schools are worth the time. Or should I just switch to Toefl since its all computer based as they are both accepted where I am applying to.

A minimum of 8 across all band is tough and requires a bit of luck in addition to your hard work. Either of the 2 options should suffice, but if you have to use a Nigerian tutor, make sure he is/was an IELTS examiner, otherwise, focus on self practice.

Few tricks

Reading: learn how to scan passages quickly. For most of the passages, ensure you read the questions first, then quickly scan the passage for the answers. This way, you work lots faster. However, you must ensure you thoroughly read the last lengthy passage as using the scanning trick wouldn't help much there. Also master the TRUE or FALSE section as those questions are unusually tricky

Listening: Do a lots of practice for this module and sharpen your multi-tasking skill. To do well here (>8band), you must have the uncanny ability to quickly scribble down your answers in "shorthand" while still listening to the audio. It also helps to use the few seconds provided in between sections to quickly go through the next section as this would you to anticipate the answers as the audio is being played.

Golden rule for this section: if you miss a question, don't get stuck mulling over the answers, leave that question and flow with the audio, otherwise, you would miss lots more questions.

Writing: Use good linking words to stress your points, e.g, furthermore, in addition. Adopt the PREP/PEP (point, reason, examples, point for reiteration) approach where necessary, with focus on relevant examples. Leave 5-10 mins towards the end to read over the 2 passages to correct some calamitous errors. Your introduction is key and arguably determines whether you would hit an 8 band or not.

Speaking: read up on common topics and do a bit of practice. While articulating your points, it helps to enumerate for clarity, e.g firstly, secondly. Speak clearly and you don't have to form fake accent. PEP/PREP also helps here. Adopt a positive, friendly and confidence demeanor.

You can download lots of practice questions on google or torrent sites

1 Like

Re: Will A Nigerian Ielts Coaching School Be Useful To Score Very High Marks? by mctowel01: 3:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
irondome:

A minimum of 8 across all band is tough and requires a bit of luck in addition to your hard work. Either of the 2 options should suffice, but if you have to use a Nigerian tutor, make sure he is/was an IELTS examiner, otherwise, focus on self practice.

Few tricks

Reading: learn how to scan passages quickly. For most of the passages, ensure you read the questions first, then quickly scan the passage for the answers. This way, you work lots faster. However, you must ensure you thoroughly read the last lengthy passage as using the scanning trick wouldn't help much there. Also master the TRUE or FALSE section as those questions are unusually tricky

Listening: Do a lots of practice for this module and sharpen your multi-tasking skill. To do well here (>8band), you must have the uncanny ability to quickly scribble down your answers in "shorthand" skill listening to the audio. It also helps to use the few seconds provided in between sections to quickly go through the next section as this would you to anticipate the answers as the audio is being played.

Golden rule for this section: if you miss a question, don't get stuck mulling over the answers, leave that question and flow with the audio, otherwise, you would miss lots more questions.

Writing: Use good linking words to stress your points, e.g, furthermore, in addition. Adopt the PREP/PEP (point, reason, examples, point for reiteration) approach where necessary, with focus on relevant examples. Leave 5-10 mins towards the end to read over the 2 passages to correct some calamitous errors. Your introduction is key and arguably determines whether you would hit an 8 band or not.

Speaking: read up on common topics and do a bit of practice. While articulating your points, it helps to enumerate for clarity, e.g firstly, secondly. Speak clearly and you don't have to form fake accent. PEP/PREP also helps here. Adopt a positive, friend and confidence demeanor.

You can download lots of practice questions on google or torrent sites
Thanks a lot. I know I have a lot of work to do.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get The Best Exchange Rate When Traveling In A Foreign Country / Corper Burnt In Akwa Ibom Car Accident Buried Few Weeks To Passing Out (photos) / UK Launches New 24-hour Super Priority Visa Service In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.