Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace (40474 Views)

Popular Lagos Traffic Warden Jumps On The Bonnet Of An Offender, Today, In Yaba / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by SmartMugu: 12:01am On Feb 05, 2016
davidif:

Stop trying to project what happened to you to all the other Chinese people.
Besides, didn't your parents teach you growing up that two wrongs don't make a right?
What am I projecting here? That I have over 4 chinese neighbors that would never greet a black family for almost 3 years and greet one another. Two wrongs don't make a right, so I shouldn't just ignore them like they do me?
Read about how the Chinese look at black people here http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/4/
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by JayJustus(m): 12:01am On Feb 05, 2016
Nigerians and petty foolishness...if he doesn't greet you and so what?? does that reduce your salary or whatnot? there is what we call CULTURAL DIFFERENCE... there's this British woman called "oyinboprincess" she loves everything about Nigeria and has learnt the culture...if she sees you ofcos she will greet cos Nigerians adore greeting for me which is bullshyte... and yes she has been in Nigeria for over a month shooting movies and all...
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by davidif: 12:03am On Feb 05, 2016
demydea:
For my place of work too, there is one foolish Indian tall mad man that comes around & he is used to not greeting. I always look at him like "I go woz this guy one say"

Greeting is not a big deal in a lot of cultures. You don't greet people you don't know.
Kai! Why are you people always soooo petty? A little thing like greeting and you are getting mad.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by davidif: 12:07am On Feb 05, 2016
TeOwl:
in every culture... when asking a stranger for directions or a favour, you have to greet first.. it could be the standard "good morning" or "hello, how are you doing"

In every culture?? Really? Have you even being outside naija before? How many cultures outside your country have you experienced for you to even make a bold proclamation like that?
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by henrybomb(m): 12:10am On Feb 05, 2016
[quote author=Tunami post=42625451]Today was just like every other normal day in my workplace, everybody have resumed at the appropriate time, me and a colleague were standing close to the gate and the security man wasnt around at about 9:30am a Chinese man and a Nigerian man just alighted from a jeep without greeting, he asked us where is Mr bola(not real name) who happens to be the general manager? My colleague just hissed and replied him in pidgin( come wey u u no dey greet abi naso una dey behave for una side? Abeg get out of my front).

The chinese man was ashamed of himself and i was just laughing at him as he went away in shame.

NB this colleague of mine is a contractor who is almost through with his work in my work place. The point that i am trying to make in this story is that this white people especially the chinese, lebanese and indians don't regard us as anything because of the way we see them as god in our land while most of them are common laborers in their countries and when they come to Nigeria they will be forming expatriate and be using us like rag. That mentality must be put to an END.

Serves him right dose ppl no get regards at all dey lost it on deir way back to nigeria
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by davidif: 12:18am On Feb 05, 2016
SmartMugu:

I don't think it has to do with their culture. We watch their movies and we see them bow to one another and even use the word "Master" a lot, showing they have manners within themselves.
I work in a multinational corporation with folks from all walks of life including same Chinese people, yet everyone says hi to one another in the morning. Still manners.
Now same people will go to Nigeria and expect to be treated as Masters. Heck no.

That's like saying because you see Nigerians doing juju in nollywood, that all Nigerians actually do it. Greeting is not a big deal everywhere.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by yom2(m): 12:20am On Feb 05, 2016
oodua1stson:
nobody is white. But racially, Chinese are not white, they are Asians. The Lebanese are not whites either, they are arabs
d lebanese like d egyptians are nt arabs
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by bobkezel(m): 12:22am On Feb 05, 2016
Truth is Asians don't normally greet, apart from their Muslim counterparts that usually say assallam ailikun. And they see it as awkward if you constantly greet them for no reason. But then one should respect the culture of his host country. Op, don't think the Chinese man was ashamed, he doesn't understand a damn thing u said. Person wey never hear English finish......
For those of saying "common greeting", by the time you experience it, you will know it's not that common. When you go to Rome..........
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by outflank: 12:28am On Feb 05, 2016
brownjulie:
are you sure he walked away in shame? as the whitey might likely not understand the crab your friend was vomiting
if he didn't understand the spoken language I'm sure he most definitely understood his body language and the tone of voice. So, yes, it's possible he walked away in shame.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by musicwriter(m): 12:28am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
Today was just like every other normal day in my workplace, everybody have resumed at the appropriate time, me and a colleague were standing close to the gate and the security man wasnt around at about 9:30am a Chinese man and a Nigerian man just alighted from a jeep without greeting, he asked us where is Mr bola(not real name) who happens to be the general manager? My colleague just hissed and replied him in pidgin( come wey u u no dey greet abi naso una dey behave for una side? Abeg get out of my front).

The chinese man was ashamed of himself and i was just laughing at him as he went away in shame.

NB this colleague of mine is a contractor who is almost through with his work in my work place. The point that i am trying to make in this story is that this white people especially the chinese, lebanese and indians don't regard us as anything because of the way we see them as god in our land while most of them are common laborers in their countries and when they come to Nigeria they will be forming expatriate and be using us like rag. That mentality must be put to an END.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread on time.

If you want to know why they do it read the link on my signature.

Hint: They think of us as people without intellectual capabilities. This is partly true because our education is fake, and they know it.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:47am On Feb 05, 2016
yom2:
we nigerians carry dis greeting thing too far forgetting that on very busy and hectic routine those protocol occasionaly skip ur mind. Though i know its a matter of culture and tradition. Imagine ur self rush down to d ATM after missing one schedule and hoping to catch up with another schedule , and the sesurity man on ground expectin u to come and observe all d protocols

Can't you differentiate between that scenario and your example? The fact is he cannot yet that nonsense in China!
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:48am On Feb 05, 2016
bobkezel:
Truth is Asians don't normally greet, apart from their Muslim counterparts that usually say assallam ailikun. And they see it as awkward if you constantly greet them for no reason. But then one should respect the culture of his host country. Op, don't think the Chinese man was ashamed, he doesn't understand a damn thing u said. Person wey never hear English finish......
For those of saying "common greeting", by the time you experience it, you will know it's not that common. When you go to Rome..........

So they don't say a common ‘hi', when they are just meeting someone for the first time or seeking for helpundecided

Do you sincerely think we are stupid?
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:50am On Feb 05, 2016
davidif:

Greeting is not a big deal in a lot of cultures. You don't greet people you don't know.
Kai! Why are you people always soooo petty? A little thing like greeting and you are getting mad.

Greeting in that scenario is a big deal in most if not all cultures!

Why do you like to spew BS?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:51am On Feb 05, 2016
JayJustus:
Nigerians and petty foolishness...if he doesn't greet you and so what?? does that reduce your salary or whatnot? there is what we call CULTURAL DIFFERENCE... there's this British woman called "oyinboprincess" she loves everything about Nigeria and has learnt the culture...if she sees you ofcos she will greet cos Nigerians adore greeting for me which is bullshyte... and yes she has been in Nigeria for over a month shooting movies and all...

Mtchewwww

There is no cultural difference in that scenario.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 12:54am On Feb 05, 2016
Mr man, you dont just walk up to a stranger and ask for directions or a favor...

and yes, in every culture.. you need something like "hello", "hi", "whats up", "excuse me please" or something similar before you ask for directions or a favor... even in London, that i used to think was a cold hearted place, you still need to greet before asking for directions or a favor!

If you dont want to say hi, hello or good afternoon THEN dont ask for a favor or directions... mind you business and go your way.

The moment you step into someone's personal space - you are meant to be polite and respectful NOT just walk up to a man and order him to give you directions or to do you a favor!

The chinese guy in question WAS A STRANGER!

davidif:

In every culture?? Really? Have you even being outside naija before? How many cultures outside your country have you experienced for you to even make a bold proclamation like that?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:54am On Feb 05, 2016
haneetram:
How were you and your friend dressed? Because i live in china nd chinese people people treat you according to how you dress. And you were also standing at the gate. *not trying to be mean. And they listen to corrections. Incase of next time, just correct them. If they did not react badly to your insult, they wont react badly to correction.

Are you saying that if a Chinese man wanted something from another Chinese man, he would just ask him without a simple Hi because of his shabby dressing.undecided
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:58am On Feb 05, 2016
prettyjo:
this is why they will never say anything good about nigerians .

we really get your point but the insult was not necessary

I don't know of a rude stereotype about Nigerians undecided

But I know that we are not respected because we are COMPLACENT and CORRUPTundecided
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 12:58am On Feb 05, 2016
blackboy:
Clap for yourselves. Imagine, feeling proud of yourselves. That is why this country is backward. Se na greting you go chop. He needs direction

Treating foreigners harshly is not in the best interest of the country nor investment.

If they do a crime Im not saying they should not be punished.

Its ppl like you that are tribalistic and donald trump like.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Rubbish.

You haven't made any sense

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by youngelder(m): 12:59am On Feb 05, 2016
brownjulie:
are you sure he walked away in shame? as the whitey might likely not understand the crab your friend was vomiting
I think you mean 'crap'.. Not crab...
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 1:01am On Feb 05, 2016
praxs:
As someone righted stated, chinese are not white folks.. To the op, i think it has nothingto do with dem treating you as rag. When you`ve to some partof the world u will understand better.... To be sincere, is not everyone that has morals or good human relationship... I presently reside in a country consisting of mixed rrace and your issue is a very common thing here... A person will just walk up to you straight and ask or start a discussion...i understood that we africans have better morals than most of dis races... So chill, d do that so demselves( diff races)

Where you live in is pretty messed up! I know that in most western countries they use a simple ‘Hi or excuse me' for questions but for discussions, they ignore salutations.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 1:02am On Feb 05, 2016
TeOwl:
in every culture... when asking a stranger for directions or a favour, you have to greet first.. it could be the standard "good morning" or "hello, how are you doing"

I tire for most Nigerians o
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by davidif: 1:22am On Feb 05, 2016
doveda:

Greeting in that scenario is a big deal in most if not all cultures!

Why do you like to spew BS?

Have you ever lived outside your country before? I do and I can definitely tell you that greeting is not that big of a deal in a lot of cultures.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by ttmacoy: 1:23am On Feb 05, 2016
While I agree the chinese guy could have been more polite before asking, we Nigerians are a lot worse. We all have stories of rude experiences as customers in this same Nigeria haven't we?

All these Chinese lebanese etc guys learnt this when they see how we treat ourselves. Someone has small money and he acts like a demi god, cadets in uniform treating citizens like crap, government officials treating the citizens they should be serving like vermin.

As they say charity begins at home.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by toprealman: 1:27am On Feb 05, 2016
TruthHurts1:
Chinese are not "white people"
I laff wen they call the Indians in my hood oyibo.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 1:31am On Feb 05, 2016
davidif:

Have you ever lived outside your country before? I do and I can definitely tell you that greeting is not that big of a deal in a lot of cultures.

I live in the UK and if is a big deal in such scenario
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by ttmacoy: 1:32am On Feb 05, 2016
I don't know what culture you are talking about but is generally accepted that it is polite to greet before asking your questions.

US, UK etc you would at least say hello first.

davidif:

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by itsmecoalblack(f): 1:50am On Feb 05, 2016
Greeting ISN'T a big deal everywhere. However, when in Rome...

davidif:

Your colleague was extremely rude, disrespectful and petty and you are here expecting us to congratulate him for that?
Greeting is not a big deal in every culture.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by praxs(m): 1:59am On Feb 05, 2016
Ugosample:

Point of correction.

Africans don't have better morals. We are as useless as the others worldwide. Humanity is messed up.

If not, why do we have plenty thieves, paedophiles, rapists, drug peddlers, thieves and other nuisance in this continent.

It's the sad truth
Dere are thieves(esp US, jamaica, mexico etc), peadophiles (afghanistan, syria, yemen, pakistan etc) rapists ( india, pakistan etc) drug peddlers ( colombia,mexico,US etc)... Nuisance are everwhere bro
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by sweetgala(m): 2:10am On Feb 05, 2016
spinna:
So who was now more rude? the chinko for not greeting. or ur guy who insulted a visitor to his workplace

The Chinese gentleman knows the importance of greeting and , he also knows that in China and Japan it is not acceptable to address a colleague or business partner by first name. It is always Mr "surname"

In Nigeria it is same, it is always the Title and last name unless otherwise accepted by the subject
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by sweetgala(m): 2:13am On Feb 05, 2016
Nifemitech:
mtchew; sir, you should have answered the question he put at you. probably he was in a haste and it is we Nigerians that put much value on greetings (am not saying it's bad) who knows, he may be an important visitor or customer, you just sent him away

If you think nigeidns put value on getting and formalities you have not lived or worked in Asia. Especially in a corporate capacity.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by jagorinho: 2:18am On Feb 05, 2016
johnoris:
so wat r dey sir? Red ppl?? Mr I too know...

yal!!! they are nt white people, u ought to find out first before disputing his view, what i noticed about nigerians
generally is most are very poor in current affairs globally and are quick to judge in matters they have little knowledge about. chinese,indians ,asians generally are not whites they have yellow to light brown skin depending on d country. In southern india most people have brown skin,while in china and northern asian countries like japan, korea they have yellow skin, d real whites are caucasians in europe e.g britain, russia , germany etc and parts of north america like canada and u.s . N. B next time russia and china meet in a football match , try and observe d differences in skin colour and u will knw why 1 is a white country and d oda is not. there are some oda classifications but 4 nw i rest my case
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by nastyesco(m): 2:23am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
Today was just like every other normal day in my workplace, everybody have resumed at the appropriate time, me and a colleague were standing close to the gate and the security man wasnt around at about 9:30am a Chinese man and a Nigerian man just alighted from a jeep without greeting, he asked us where is Mr bola(not real name) who happens to be the general manager? My colleague just hissed and replied him in pidgin( come wey u u no dey greet abi naso una dey behave for una side? Abeg get out of my front).
Actually I work with the Chinese, not trying to defend them bt greeting is alien to their culture. They simply don't greet....they jst get to business. I think it's nice if u learn abt other ppl's culture also

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See Average Monthly Net Salary Of Some Countries / Deadly Habits That Will Make You Unsuccessful And Struggle Eternally / FG Slashes November Salaries, Civil Servants Cry Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.