Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace (40479 Views)

Popular Lagos Traffic Warden Jumps On The Bonnet Of An Offender, Today, In Yaba / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by demydea: 6:49am On Feb 05, 2016
ireneidiva:

Is he your son? What is with you Nigerians and greeting?

You guys are fun*king hypocrite. Enough said
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by bobkezel(m): 6:52am On Feb 05, 2016
doveda:

So they don't say a common ‘hi', when they are just meeting someone for the first time or seeking for helpundecided

Do you sincerely think we are stupid?
I think you didn't get me right. What I am trying to say is that some people here were bashing op, they said op shouldn't be angry because of common greeting. And I said, when you are in op's shoes you will know a greeting is not common especially to Africans. And I said again, that when you are in another man's country you should respect their culture. So my point, the Chinese man ought to have left their non-greeting attitude in his home country and adhere to ours. When you go to Rome do as romans. I hope you got my point now.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by TruthHurts1(m): 7:09am On Feb 05, 2016
VenusBetty:
they're "black people"

I weep for your ignorant generation.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by dejavuh0007(m): 7:16am On Feb 05, 2016
prettyjo:
this is why they will never say anything good about nigerians .

we really get your point but the insult was not necessary
and wu cares wat dy say, its common sense to greet sum1 u dnt knw especially wen u want to ask something frm dem. Recenty a guy wanted to c a bro of myn, he met me outside washing my moms car and he couldnt even greet despite d fact he was a stranger in our house. So unfortunately fr him my bro wasnt around, so he came bak outside and now greeted me and told me who he was looking fr and i told him to beat it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by prettyboi1(m): 7:20am On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??
Chinese people are not white, their race is called "Mongoloid".
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??

They are red actually, indians are brown african are black. Etc.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by prettyboi1(m): 7:23am On Feb 05, 2016
prettyjo:
this is why they will never say anything good about nigerians .

we really get your point but the insult was not necessary
So, all you want is eye-service for people to say something 'good' about you right?
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by tonychristopher: 7:34am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
Today was just like every other normal day in my workplace, everybody have resumed at the appropriate time, me and a colleague were standing close to the gate and the security man wasnt around at about 9:30am a Chinese man and a Nigerian man just alighted from a jeep without greeting, he asked us where is Mr bola(not real name) who happens to be the general manager? My colleague just hissed and replied him in pidgin( come wey u u no dey greet abi naso una dey behave for una side? Abeg get out of my front).

The chinese man was ashamed of himself and i was just laughing at him as he went away in shame.

NB this colleague of mine is a contractor who is almost through with his work in my work place. The point that i am trying to make in this story is that this white people especially the chinese, lebanese and indians don't regard us as anything because of the way we see them as god in our land while most of them are common laborers in their countries and when they come to Nigeria they will be forming expatriate and be using us like rag. That mentality must be put to an END.

It's for those that see them as god wetin concern me ...if I travel dem dey be porters wey I dey give tips
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by ireneidiva(f): 7:38am On Feb 05, 2016
demydea:

You guys are fun*king hypocrite. Enough said
Can't see any sense in what you just typed.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 05, 2016
these so called expatriates have been made to feel superior because of their skin color,it's no secret,and that's why they see us as inferior even in our own country.Lets call a spade a spade and not a shovel because it looks like one.They don't regard us,and that's a known fact

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Ugosample(m): 7:47am On Feb 05, 2016
praxs:

Dere are thieves(esp US, jamaica, mexico etc), peadophiles (afghanistan, syria, yemen, pakistan etc) rapists ( india, pakistan etc) drug peddlers ( colombia,mexico,US etc)... Nuisance are everwhere bro

That is precisely my point.

Africans aren't any special. We are just like everyone else
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
Today was just like every other normal day in my workplace, everybody have resumed at the appropriate time, me and a colleague were standing close to the gate and the security man wasnt around at about 9:30am a Chinese man and a Nigerian man just alighted from a jeep without greeting, he asked us where is Mr bola(not real name) who happens to be the general manager? My colleague just hissed and replied him in pidgin( come wey u u no dey greet abi naso una dey behave for una side? Abeg get out of my front).

The chinese man was ashamed of himself and i was just laughing at him as he went away in shame.

NB this colleague of mine is a contractor who is almost through with his work in my work place. The point that i am trying to make in this story is that this white people especially the chinese, lebanese and indians don't regard us as anything because of the way we see them as god in our land while most of them are common laborers in their countries and when they come to Nigeria they will be forming expatriate and be using us like rag. That mentality must be put to an END.
I WORKS IN AN INDIAN COMPANY THE WAY THEY TREAT WORKERS IS APPALLING. OUR PEOPLE ALSO HELPS TO FAN THEIR EGO.THEY CALL THEM MASTER, OGA....AND THIS IS COMMON WITH THEIR DRIVERS.BECAUSE OF THE CRUMBS THEY GET FROM THEIR WIVES.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by itsmecoalblack(f): 7:59am On Feb 05, 2016
Lol. I've lived in many countries. I'm American, but I've lived all over Africa and Asia.

The point is... if greeting is a big deal to Nigerians then expats living in Nigeria should take care to remember that. Nigerians dont HAVE to consider other cultures in Nigeria. It would be nice if everyone did, but It's kind of their right not to do so if they choose. Likewise, that Chinese man has every right to not be prudent when heeding the local customs... but this is what happens when you don't.

I've lived in China for about 3 years and I must say that they are among the rudest people I've ever encountered. And it's socially sanctioned here.

FYI calling the man primitive kind of moots your point if you're arguing for cultural sensitivity.

davidif:

Have you ever lived in a foreign country before? Well maybe if you did, you would realize that at times its not possible to remember all the norms of the culture. You might understand it but still make some mistakes every now and then.

The Nigerian guy should have looked at it from the mans point of view and be understanding; overlooking the percieved slight. Instead he decided to stoop so low and act in a highly primitive manner and that was highly uncalled for. Two wrongs dont make a right.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by themanderon: 8:01am On Feb 05, 2016
So many uncle toms commenting on this thread.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 8:05am On Feb 05, 2016
JayJustus:

hello? I've been living in south east asia for 4 years yeah and i've visited other asian countries...greetings are basically for people whom you're familiar with if not they'd walk past you for the next 10 years...chinese eat with chopsticks, malays eat with their hands...that is cultural difference...Nigerians adore greetings to strangers or not the other party doesn't...so why get irate?

Hello, I live in Scotland, strangers don't greet unless they have something to ask or discuss with you!!!

You didn't answer my question!!! Would a Chinese walk up to another Chinese man and ask him a question without a simple salutation?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Vondoola: 8:13am On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??

They're red people. Whites are Caucasians
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by femiranking28(m): 8:14am On Feb 05, 2016
SmartMugu:

You're lucky you found some nice ones. I live in a neighborhood full of them. My house here in Atlanta is the only one with black people living there and my kids are the only black kids in the block. I've lived in the house for almost three years, and the Chinese neighbors surrounding me never said hi back whenever I greet them in the morning. They just look away like I don't exist, yet they greet one another right in my face.

The first time my son tried to ride his bike with the other kids (mainly Chinese, Koreans etc), they spat on him and he rode back home crying. I confronted they parents to control their kids else I'd involve the cops when next it happens. Now my son goes to school with them on the same school bus with them but his only friend on the bus is this Hispanic neighbor's kid cos the Chinese kids are bullies to him.

These Chinese kids will someday grow up, and possibly come to Nigeria feeling like gods cos of how their parent felt about black people.
that's very sad very very one thing I hate is bullying I hate it alot.i won't let anybody bully me and go free I go beat you scatter but it's USA there are laws now. Smh continue encouraging your kids to be strong.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by demydea: 8:15am On Feb 05, 2016
ireneidiva:

Can't see any sense in what you just typed.

It is only intelligent people that can understand what I typed.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by mukwise(m): 8:16am On Feb 05, 2016
Like criosly, its like dz guy his talk from my experience, mine is even worst Fg should find smtn to abt dz foreigners enslaving us in our country
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Mattew690(m): 8:18am On Feb 05, 2016
Ur papa As you laugh

Shey na greeting u dey look 4 When all ur make dey find money

All diz nigga dey find Oyinbo greeting, Am getting money
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by mukwise(m): 8:22am On Feb 05, 2016
@ireneidiva y will u see sense in what he type wen u dont knw wah d hussle like
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 05, 2016
And you better accept that the Chinese man acted rude and arrogant. In china, they say Nín hǎo before asking for directions or a favor from a stranger.

ireneidiva:

You better accept that was wrong. That was rude and petty.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 05, 2016
Go to china... walk up to a chinese woman or man and ask for directions or a favor without saying Nín hǎo or Zǎoshang hǎo first and see if they would answer you.

davidif:

So that's now an excuse to act in a rude manner? Whatever happened to taking the high road? Naija people sef.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Rolings: 9:28am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:

If the guy were your superior it was wrong of you to feel you should be rude to him just because he didn't greet you ,na him greeting carry you go work for the company? You are here insulting these Chinese yet you work in their company why not resign your job if you are not comfortable with their behaviour. Some Nigerian employers are worst then these Chinese, so also there are some Chinese companies that treat Nigerians well.
Direct your anger at the government that couldn't enforce laws on expatriate quota that make common Chinese labourers engineers in Nigeria . Blame the government that goes cap in hand to beg these Chinese,Indians,Lebanese to come and invest in Nigeria and allow them to disregard our Labour / employment laws . Blame government for going to China exim bank to borrow at no interest but with the conditions that some projects will be handled strictly by Chinese companies using Chinese Labour.
From your post your grouse was not with your working condition but for the guy not greeting you, will his greeting put money in your pocket?
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by opey112(m): 9:36am On Feb 05, 2016
vicstar:
dat guy get luck say chinko no provoke, him for see real kung'fu or tai'chi grin grin lwkmd
I go nack am jazz....o maa bale ni
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by j1mmy: 9:37am On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
The point that i am trying to make in this story is that this white people especially the chinese, lebanese and indians don't regard us as anything because of the way we see them as god in our land

So Chinese Lebanese and Indians are WHITE PEOPLE?

You are more stup1d than the Chinese man... No wonder they treat you daft people the way they do!
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by omorttee4u(m): 9:39am On Feb 05, 2016
davidif:

Have you ever lived outside your country before? I do and I can definitely tell you that greeting is not that big of a deal in a lot of cultures.

Mr man, either asking for favor or not. If you meeting someone for the first time, you must be polite. Even in UK. A friend was denied a cup of coffee because, he never say 'please' after the request.

Pls note : he want to pay for the tea, and not free.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by ricy20(f): 9:46am On Feb 05, 2016
some comments here are something else because it did not happen to you right am not saying being rude is a good idea no, but greeting is the normal thing mostly when you need help it will not take anything from you and it everywhere not just nigeria let try to say the truth.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by youngelder(m): 10:19am On Feb 05, 2016
brownjulie:
oh thanks dearie, we learn everyday
. Wow. I dint know there are kind polite and ready-to-learn pple like you here. Its ok. We learn everyday. I aint Perfect either..
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by brownjulie(f): 10:28am On Feb 05, 2016
youngelder:

. Wow. I dint know there are kind polite and ready-to-learn pple like you here. Its ok. We learn everyday. I aint Perfect either..
grin feeling special
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by FRANKOXY(m): 10:28am On Feb 05, 2016
LEAVE THOSE SHIN CHIN CHONG MOTHERFUCKERS
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by ireneidiva(f): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2016
mukwise:
@ireneidiva y will u see sense in what he type wen u dont knw wah d hussle like
Your won post is even dumber. What has 'hustle' got to do with anything in this thread?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deadly Habits That Will Make You Unsuccessful And Struggle Eternally / FG Slashes November Salaries, Civil Servants Cry Out / Lasisi Hadji Alli Dies: Oldest Practising Surveyor In Nigeria Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.