Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. (10529 Views)

Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / Nairaland Muslims Confess That Islam Is Dying And Christianity Is Gaining / Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 12:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
There are differences between Christianity and religion, Many are GOING TO CHURCH but few are GOING DOWN THE ROAD WHICH LEADS TO LIFE. Many are RELIGIOUS but few are RIGHT WITH GOD.

Religion is DOING while Christianity is DONE. When Jesus cried on the cross, "it is finished" The work of our salvation was FINISHED, DONE, ACCOMPLISHED and COMPLETED. A religious man may be likened as a man who try to swim from river kaduna to niger by his own strength, he will never make it. But the man who is save by faith is likened to be a man who get on a ship, hoping it will take him to his destination. This man simply rests upon the ship and lets the ship do all the work.

THIS ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RELIGION AND CHRISTIANITY.
1. RELIGION: "Salvation is something I must do. I must somehow earn or gain salvation by the way I live."

CHRISTIANITY: "Salvation is something only God can do. Salvation is of the LORD!" (Eph. 2:8-9).

2. RELIGION: Religion is summed up in one word: DO--man trying to DO different things to please God and earn His favor.

CHRISTIANITY: Christianity is summed up in one word; DONE--Christ dying on the cross to save sinful man (John 19:30).

3. RELIGION: The religious man is busy
"working" (doing good works) in order to
be saved.

CHRISTIANITY: The saved person is "not working" (Rom. 4:5) but is RESTING upon the finished work of Another. Although he must beware (1 peter 5:cool

4. RELIGION: RELIGION is man trying to BRING HIMSELF TO GOD (by human effort, good works, ritualism, traditionalism, sacraments, etc.).

CHRISTIANITY: CHRISTIANITY is Christ BRINGING US TO GOD on the basis of what He did for us on the cross, NOT by our own effort. (1 Peter 3:18).

5. RELIGION: Man trying to please God in the wrong way (Rom. 8:8--"So then they that are in the FLESH cannot please God"wink.

CHRISTIANITY: Man truly pleasing God in the only way (Hebrews 11:6--"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him"wink.

6. RELIGION: The religious man is seeking to establish his own righteousness by ignoring the way of the righteousness of God (Rom. 10:3).

CHRISTIANITY: The saved man is satisfied with the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 5:21).

7.RELIGION: Religion is pictured in Genesis 3 by the fig leaves that Adam and Eve made for themselves--a terrible covering (Gen. 3:7).

CHRISTIANITY: Salvation is pictured in Genesis 3 by the coats of skin which God provided by way of the shedding of BLOOD--a perfect covering (Gen. 3:21).

8.RELIGION: CAIN'S RELIGION--"I bring to God the labour of my own hands" (Gen. 4:3).

CHRISTIANITY: ABEL'S FAITH--"I bring to God a blood sacrifice. An innocent substitute must die to save me" (Gen. 4:4).

Good works done by sinful man can never please a holy God. The greatest good work is GOD'S WORK accomplished by Jesus Christ who offered Himself on the cross as the sinner's Substitute.Thus we are not saved by good works but we are saved unto good works: "For we are
his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10). "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

Are you resting fully in the finished work of Christ? Are you trusting in Jesus Christ, WHO HE IS, WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR YOU and WHAT HE HAS SAID IN HIS WORD? "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else" (Isaiah 45:22).

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by truthman2012(m): 12:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
There are differences between Christianity and religion, Many are GOING TO CHURCH but few are GOING DOWN THE ROAD WHICH LEADS TO LIFE. Many are RELIGIOUS but few are RIGHT WITH GOD.

Religion is DOING while Christianity is DONE. When Jesus cried on the cross, "it is finished" The work of our salvation was FINISHED, DONE, ACCOMPLISHED and COMPLETED. A religious man may be likened as a man who try to swim from river kaduna to niger by his own strength, he will never make it. But the man who is save by faith is likened to be a man who get on a ship, hoping it will take him to his destination. This man simply rests upon the ship and lets the ship do all the work.

1. RELIGION: "Salvation is something I must do. I must somehow earn or gain salvation by the way I live."

CHRISTIANITY: "Salvation is something only God can do. Salvation is of the LORD!" (Eph. 2:8-9).

2. RELIGION: Religion is summed up in one word: DO--man trying to DO different things to please God and earn His favor.

CHRISTIANITY: Christianity is summed up in one word; DONE--Christ dying on the cross to save sinful man (John 19:30).

be saved.

CHRISTIANITY: The saved person is "not working" (Rom. 4:5) but is RESTING upon the finished work of Another. Although he must beware (1 peter 5:cool

4. RELIGION: RELIGION is man trying to BRING HIMSELF TO GOD (by human effort, good works, ritualism, traditionalism, sacraments, etc.).

CHRISTIANITY: CHRISTIANITY is Christ BRINGING US TO GOD on the basis of what He did for us on the cross, NOT by our own effort. (1 Peter 3:18).

5. RELIGION: Man trying to please God in the wrong way (Rom. 8:8--"So then they that are in the FLESH cannot please God"wink.

CHRISTIANITY: Man truly pleasing God in the only way (Hebrews 11:6--"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him"wink.

6. RELIGION: The religious man is seeking to establish his own righteousness by ignoring the way of the righteousness of God (Rom. 10:3).

CHRISTIANITY: The saved man is satisfied with the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 5:21).

7.RELIGION: Religion is pictured in Genesis 3 by the fig leaves that Adam and Eve made for themselves--a terrible covering (Gen. 3:7).

CHRISTIANITY: Salvation is pictured in Genesis 3 by the coats of skin which God provided by way of the shedding of BLOOD--a perfect covering (Gen. 3:21).

8.RELIGION: CAIN'S RELIGION--"I bring to God the labour of my own hands" (Gen. 4:3).

CHRISTIANITY: ABEL'S FAITH--"I bring to God a blood sacrifice. An innocent substitute must die to save me" (Gen. 4:4).

Good works done by sinful man can never please a holy God. The greatest good work is GOD'S WORK accomplished by Jesus Christ who offered Himself on the cross as the sinner's Substitute.Thus we are not saved by good works but we are saved unto good works: "For we are
his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10). "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:13).

Are you resting fully in the finished work of Christ? Are you trusting in Jesus Christ, WHO HE IS, WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR YOU and WHAT HE HAS SAID IN HIS WORD? "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else" (Isaiah 45:22).

Good.

The religious aspect of the thread is referring to norminal Christians and muslims trying to please God in the power of the flesh.

The Bible says ''by strength shall no man prevail.

Neither is salvation obtainable by goog deed but through the finished work of Christ.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
truthman2012:

Good.

The religious aspect of the thread is referring to norminal Christians and muslims trying to please God in the power of the flesh.

Neither is salvation obtainable by goog deed but through the finished work of Christ.
correct. God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Jeze: 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 3:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
Jeze:
Rubbish
First Corinthians 1:20
(ESV) asks, “Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the
debater of this age? Has not God made
foolish the wisdom of the world?

This thread is not for you, you do not belong to the kingdom of God, Jesus likened people like you as dogs who eat from their master table, this teaching is beyond your knowledge. First
Corinthians 1:28–29 (ESV) goes on:

But God chose what is foolish in the
world to shame the wise; God chose
what is weak in the world to shame
the strong; God chose what is low and
despised in the world, even things
that are not, to bring to nothing
things that are, so that no human
being might boast in the presence of
God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by AlexCk: 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:

be saved.

truthman2012:

Good.

Make sense
Christianity isnt just some kind of religion but a way of life.

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Niflheim(m): 5:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
You say that blood sacrifice of the innocent is not religion? That it is Christianity?..........................So why do your pastores always condemn the pagan ways of old?!!

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
Christianity is a set of pagan customs and superstition. It's book corrupted to the core.

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by cloudgoddess(f): 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
"religion (n) - the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

Nope, still religion.

5 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 5:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
Niflheim:
You say that blood sacrifice of the innocent is not religion? That it is Christianity?..........................So why do your pastores always condemn the pagan ways of old?!!
blood sacrifice is a forestshadowing event in the old testament how Jesus would come and pay the price of our sin in the new covenant of Grace .

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 5:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
hockeyoilers:
Christianity is a set of pagan customs and superstition. It's book corrupted to the core.
this thread is not for your likes, it is way beyond your knowledge, do not derailed this thread.

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2016
cloudgoddess:
"religion (n) - the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."

Nope, still religion.
everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by menesheh(m): 5:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Christainity is under the umbrella of religion. There is no doubt about it, no matter how many times you choose to apply equivocation fallacy to explain any possible differences between them.

Religion being a graduated cult amongst many others cults that people believe in and worship of a supernatural controlling power, especially a personal god or gods. This is a replica of the old saying that "Lawyers can see something white and said it is black" sort of analogy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 5:46pm On Feb 05, 2016
menesheh:
Christainity is under the umbrella of religion. There is no doubt about it, no matter how many times you choose to apply equivocation fallacy to explain any possible differences between them.

Religion being a graduated cult amongst many others cults that belief in and worship of a supernatural controlling power, especially a personal god or gods. This is a replica of the old saying that "Lawers can see something white and said is it black" sort of analogy.
cult or religion discourage it members to questions their belief. What I explained in the op, I include bible reference, so the proof is in the scripture.

Skepticism is important to the christian
faith, John the baptist who soppose to
believe Jesus is the messiah, John still
have doubt at some point, that is why he send his disciples to ask Jesus "are you the messiah?"Jesus did not condemned him, instead He performed miracle in their prescence as proof. Thomas ask questions, infact, there was a time all the disciples complained in matthew 18:27.
Peter answered him, "We have left
everything to follow you! What then will
there be for us?" .

The bible advice us to test every Spirit
and see if they are from God.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by cloudgoddess(f): 5:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Thank you.

That wasn't an opinion, that was from the dictionary.

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by freecocoa(f): 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
Christianity is simply a religion of people who claim to follow christ, I don't understand how you can separate the two

5 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Iamsheriff(m): 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:

be saved.

••••Inspired
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by menesheh(m): 6:10pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
cult or religion discourage it members to questions their belief. What I explained in the op, I include bible reference, so the proof is in the scripture.

Skepticism is important to the christian
faith, John the baptist who soppose to
believe Jesus is the messiah, John still
have doubt at some point, that is why he send his disciples to ask Jesus "are you the messiah?"Jesus did not condemned him, instead He performed miracle in their prescence as proof. Thomas ask questions, infact, there was a time all the disciples complained in matthew 18:27.
Peter answered him, "We have left
everything to follow you! What then will
there be for us?" .

The bible advice us to test every Spirit
and see if they are from God.

I don't really know whether you understand the very concept of skepticism. At least, the idea that one shouldn't believe anything until such is proven to be true beyond any reasonable and rational doubts blowup your argument that Christianity leave room for skepticism.

Also quoting what the Bible have to say about whether or not Christianity is a religion is irrelevant, hence detached from the realm of intellectual and skeptic discuss. It is a dogma which is one of the features of religion.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
Christianity is pagan to the core. Muslims are the best of creation because we worship the Creator not the creation. Though I respect my Christian brothers , they are misguided and in a state of kuffar

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
cloudgoddess:

That wasn't an opinion, that was from the dictionary.
so what's your point ? Believing in what dictionary explained about religion is your own opinion, and explanation in dictionary was right. Christianity is out of that definition.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Niflheim(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
Why do christian churches in America apply for the "Religious Tax Exemption Form"? I thought they said that they are not a religion?

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
so what's your point ? Believing in what dictionary explained about religion is your own opinion, and explanation in dictionary was right. Christianity is out of that definition.

How about believing in the books of 4 people last names not given. Other Gospels tossed away at council of Nicia.
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 7:06pm On Feb 05, 2016
hockeyoilers:
Christianity is pagan to the core. Muslims are the best of creation because we worship the Creator not the creation. Though I respect my Christian brothers , they are misguided and in a state of kuffar
OAM4J lalasticala I pleaded with this gentleman to stop derailing my threads but he refused, he copy and paste this samething in all christians thread.
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
OAM4J lalasticala I pleaded with this gentleman to stop derailing my threads but he refused, he copy and paste this samething in all christians thread.

Brother you see the splinter in my eye while ignoring the log in yours
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 7:12pm On Feb 05, 2016
Niflheim:
Why do christian churches in America apply for the "Religious Tax Exemption Form"? I thought they said that they are not a religion?
everything I said in the op is in the bible, if you disagree, point were I misinterpret the bible. The churches in America are not in the bible.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
hockeyoilers:

Brother you see the splinter in my eye while ignoring the log in yours
open your thread.
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
malvisguy212:
open your thread.

Wish you the best Malvisguy212. Time for Jummah. Perhaps later this evening I'll get time to further respond to you.
Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by lepasharon(f): 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rubbish. You Christians need to stop this sh*t. you know religion has been getting alot of backlash. So now you want to dissociate from the word.

Christianity is a religion, just like Islam And the other 300 out there. Stop trying to twist words

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by unphilaz(m): 8:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
hockeyoilers:

And the people with incorrupt book have criminal mindset that they have to be watched like dangerous snakes in their mosque

Most western countries are putting cctv cameras in mosque to monitor muslims more closely. No cctv camera in churches, hindu shrine, jewish synagoues etc, but only mosques.

You muslims should be ashamed of yourselves

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by unphilaz(m): 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
hockeyoilers:

Yet watched like some lab rats becos of evil and criminal and diabolic mindset

Most western countries are putting cctv cameras in mosque to monitor muslims more closely. No cctv camera in churches, hindu shrine, jewish synagoues etc, but only mosques.

You muslims should be ashamed of yourselves

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 9:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
Iamsheriff:
••••Inspired
God bless you too

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. by malvisguy212: 9:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
lepasharon:
Rubbish. You Christians need to stop this sh*t. you know religion has been getting alot of backlash. So now you want to dissociate from the word.

Christianity is a religion, just like Islam And the other 300 out there. Stop trying to twist words
I want you to read the op one more time, bring fort your argument, were I am wrong, that's were we will began.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atheists Are Hypocrites / In Defense Of The Church And Its Leadership / I Condemn The Paris Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.