Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary (984 Views)

7 Words To Use To Create Memorable Images In Your Next Story / Words Frequently Used In Nigeria Not Found In The Dictionary! / Drop An English Word That Will Make People Check The Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary by jamoscofield(m): 6:10pm On Feb 05, 2016
Here are 7 words Nigerians use every day which don’t exist. These are the kind of words you type into your phone or computer and it draws a red line underneath it.
Please read on and educate yourself.
(1.) GO- SLOW Although the word ‘go-slow’ appears in the dictionary, it is wrongly used by many Nigerians. The word go-slow means a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed down. It does not mean congested traffic, so it is wrong to use it in that way.
(2.) INSTALMENTALLY There is no such word in the English dictionary, this word exists only in the Nigerian edition dictionary (if such a book exists). The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’
(3.) OPPORTUNED How many times do you say ‘I was not opportuned to come’? The correct variants that exist are ‘opporteune’ or ‘opportunity’. The word ‘opportune’ has no past tense.
(4.) CUNNY “That guy is very cunny”. This is wrong, the word is ‘cunning’, not cunny. If you want to refer to someone who is sly or deceitful, use the word ‘cunning’, ‘cunny’ simply does not exist.
(5.) WAKE-KEEPING I’m sure most people will argue with this, but argue as you may, what you will find in the dictionary is ‘wake- keep’.
6.) SCREENTOUCH PHONE Oyinbo people made these devices and called it ‘touchscreen’, by the time the phones go enter Naija, we rename them ‘screen touch’
( 7.) DISVIRGIN No, you did not dis virgin that babe, you deflowered her, you took away her virginity, but you certainly did not disvirgin her, because the word ‘disvirgin’ simply does not exist!

Re: 7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary by Chicagoesontop: 6:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
Oboyyy, you get sense pass your papa, sorry i meant to say your teacher.

I am guilty of all except No 1 that i usually use the word Hold Up, don't tell me hold ups are only to be said when a robbery is going on ...

Re: 7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary by Galacious1: 6:53pm On Feb 05, 2016
That no 2 ehn
Re: 7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary by RemenZack(f): 10:18pm On Feb 06, 2016
Thank you very much. Educating!
Re: 7 Words Nigerians Use Often Which Don't Exist In The Dictionary by midasbliss(f): 3:45pm On Feb 07, 2016
most times, we know they are wrong but can't help using them "Nigerian Lingual"... don't worry... one day they will enter dictionary... grin

A Very Touching Hindi Story! / Living In The Present - A Lesson In Letting Go / My Ondo Holiday