Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) (39817 Views)

Nigerian Woman Delivers Sextuplets (3 Boys, 3 Girls) After 17 Years Of Marriage / 83-Day-Old Marriage Dissolved In Ibadan / Ngu Nebuchadnezzar Returns From Russia After 36 Years (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by enigstil(m): 9:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thanks bro for this, I took time to read every comment, and I could see a lot of people just ignored what u said, pls don't get discouraged and very much with u on this, every support u need, whatever I can do, I will. Will contribute my owns widow's mite. Keep us posted . God bless u, amen and may all your efforts in life manifest in beauty, amen
PapaBrowne:
Lets use the interesting power of social media to make a difference in this man's life. Not Just for the sake of it but to show that we can use Nairaland to achieve good things.

These are his words:
I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.

We can change his story. We can use him as a starting point for expressing the power to do good that we wield as a people of social media.

My recommendation is simple.
We start out an old folks home with him as the first member. There are loads of old folks like him suffering with no family to turn to.
All we need is to rent a place and provide the basics for living. We get volunteers from churches & mosques to take care of these folks and provide the care they need.

It would cost a lot. Probably a couple hundreds of thousands. With collaboration, we can raise whatever is required. If 1000 if us put up 1k each, we would have 1m already. And that would go more than a long way.

I don't know if I am making any sense but I am pretty passionate about using the collaborative power of social media to achieve good in society. And I feel we can start out with any story. And this old man's story is a good one.

If you think this is possible, show support by commenting and sharing your ideas on how to achieve this.

For me, for every like this post gets, I will be giving 200 Naira towards this old man's welfare. That is 200 Naira let like. 20,000 Naira for 100 likes. And yes, 200,000 for 1000 likes. And I mean every word if it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by DonBobes(m): 9:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Lets use the interesting power of social media to make a difference in this man's life. Not Just for the sake of it but to show that we can use Nairaland to achieve good things.

These are his words:
I do not have money to rent any house again. I want the government to help me. I do not have any sickness. I am not taking any injection. I only need help,” he added.

We can change his story. We can use him as a starting point for expressing the power to do good that we wield as a people of social media.

We start out an old folks home with him as the first member. There are loads of old folks like him suffering with no family to turn to.
All we need is to rent a place and provide the basics for living. We get volunteers from churches & mosques to take care of these folks and provide the care they need.

It would cost a lot. Probably a couple hundreds of thousands. With collaboration, we can raise whatever is required. If 1000 if us put up 1k each, we would have 1m already. And that would go more than a long way.

I don't know if I am making any sense but I am pretty passionate about using the collaborative power of social media to achieve good in society. And I feel we can start out with any story. And this old man's story is a good one.

If you think this is possible, show support by commenting and sharing your ideas on how to achieve this.

For me, for every like this post gets, I will be giving 200 Naira towards this old man's welfare. That is 200 Naira let like. 20,000 Naira for 100 likes. And yes, 200,000 for 1000 likes. And I mean every word if it.

I doff my hat to u, respect!

4 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Nimi22(f): 9:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
PapaBrowne:

These are his words:

I'm in. Whatever it is u planning let's keep in touch at least if not for him for others like him.

4 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by alhabie(m): 9:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
PapaBrowne:

These are his words:

please carry me along when u are done with ur plans..I will love to be part of it.God bless u

4 Likes

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
SmartMugu:
Losing an ID card should not translate to any big deal in an organized nation. That's just a piece of paper or plastic. It's 2016, why would losing a mere ID translate to him not getting his pension?
E b like u frm anoda planet ooo. Same shii made ma granpa lost his rtrment bnfitz. Thnk God our own isnt in d sun cz we tkin care of him

1 Like

Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by barnabas91: 9:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
armadeo:

but he has the strenght to drink, mr man you most likely come from a stable home.

i have seen first hand what unstable fathers do to families. note i am not referring to fathers who arent rich, am talking of fathers who arent rich and still act as a source of embarasement to the family. guy as you said what normal family would leave thier father in his 80s to stay on the streets. he chose that life i am very sure,

family probably said choose between this life and us and he chose.

may God help us all
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by SmartMugu: 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
Emeskhalifa:

E b like u frm anoda planet ooo. Same shii made ma granpa lost his rtrment bnfitz. Thnk God our own isnt in d sun cz we tkin care of him
That's weird. So common ID na big deal for Naija. Omo, I don lost for yonder.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by hexy40: 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2016
armadeo:
Lies.

The last paragraph showed that he is a no good drunkard.

Sometimes he drinks and smokes because of lack of family care. Unrepentant drunkard.

Am suretyhe family abandoned him due to his activities and here is is lying against them.

How hard is it for the park to transport you to your family.

Lying at such an age tell a lot about you old soldier

The woman fit don run leave am... RELOCATED TO OWERRI no mean say he know the particular place them dey..... Owerri girls, traping force men since biafran war
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by MonPro: 10:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
PapaBrowne:

These are his words:

That Yoruba man got into the army in 1967 to go kill women and children in the East for the fulani billionaires like danjuma, deribe to own oil wells today, his compensation was an eastern wife as a trophy. Should we pretend we didn't see that? Why can't he beg the fulani oil barons he fought for to help him?

His story has karma written all over it. May the spirit of innocent Igbo, Efik, Ijaw, ogoni and other eastern children he killed forgive him. We don't owe him a dime.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 3:53am On Feb 06, 2016
kilokeys:
If he lost ID card.. Did he loose his service number? angry
what's your waec exam number. remember you never 80 o so on excuse. madman. you wan reach old age so
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 3:56am On Feb 06, 2016
armadeo:
Lies.

Sometimes he drinks and smokes because of lack of family care. Unrepentant drunkard.

Am suretyhe family abandoned him due to his activities and here is is lying against them.

your fada's left yansh. all these chudren wen no de respect old age tunda faya all of una. don't worry your old age is coming. we will see how your children go treat una. how many drunkards do you know that can control it. how many smokers. instead of making useful suggestions you this bastardy child you're here hearing more salt on an unfortunate souls wounds. see no lemme curse you o.you will not survive it. dumbass
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by USAutoBuy(m): 7:07am On Feb 06, 2016
This is what is wrong and right with Nigeria. Abundance of pity and generosity. We have only listened to one side. There is no children in the world that will leave his dad under the bridge IF THE MAN HAS BEEN A GOOD FATHER!

We don't know what he or how he took care of his family when he was working. YOU CANNOT WITHDRAW WHERE U DID NOT SAVE!

Also, drunks are hard to live with or put up with. If he drinks a lot, no amount of money will help him if the drinking issue is not addressed.

Forgetting your number is not an excuse not to be paid. You can always go back to your barrack and find out.

This is same stupid thing that Gov. Fashola did and presented Fatai Rolling Dollars with a house few years ago! You have someone who is an entertainer and makes daily money without saving and no pension contribution. And you gave him a house while retired govt workers who contributed faithfully into the pension funds are baking and dying under the sun everyday trying to collect.

Go figure
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Tellemall: 7:25am On Feb 06, 2016
armadeo:
Lies.

I thought only I read that last part about him drinking and smoking.

It appears he was a drunken smoker who made himself so unbearable that his wife had to take her kids and run away.

It's so surprising that at his age he still indulges in such damaging activities. 83-year old indeed. I'll bet he's in his sixties but wasted himself on his excesses.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by kilokeys(m): 8:12am On Feb 06, 2016
mikolo80:
what's your waec exam number. remember you never 80 o so on excuse. madman. you wan reach old age so
4251837141 dummy.
My take is, he was probably dismissed from the force. And his id collected.
I went to Command.. Our barracks was a resettlement one for old soldiers. . Not all his colleagues died in battle.. Just shut up before I vex for u o
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Billygee2u: 8:32am On Feb 06, 2016
kilokeys:
If he lost ID card.. Did he loose his service number? angry
why didn't he go to the military pension board then to complain and demand for a new ID?
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by kilokeys(m): 9:11am On Feb 06, 2016
Billygee2u:

why didn't he go to the military pension board then to complain and demand for a new ID?

That guy is high on nicotine.. He was probably in boys scout in oluyole college ibadan back in the days...
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 11:07am On Feb 06, 2016
barnabas91:

mr man you ar sounding 2 me like u can abadon ur father of 83 even if he is a deep drunker.
Guy av a heart
may u live an old age with ur family and ur home in good health in Jesus name
maybe its a way God is using for him to reconcile with his family, nt everybody live 2 that age (83)
whr is d strength 4 em to work

This is an emotional response. My mind doesn't work that way.

I never said the guy should work. Some people have thier folks live with them till they die of old age. I have no problem with that. But when the guy is a drunk and probably has people coming to drag you for debt he owed due to drinking. WTF!!!.

I have discovered that many people just drop a kindness response and move on. The fact that the family abandoned him tells a lot. My response was due to the very last statement which was stylishly placed there. So as not to ruin the entire story. The journalist also knows the truth even the motor park people.

It is what it is.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 11:11am On Feb 06, 2016
mikolo80:
your fada's left yansh. all these chudren wen no de respect old age tunda faya all of una. don't worry your old age is coming. we will see how your children go treat una. how many drunkards do you know that can control it. how many smokers. instead of making useful suggestions you this bastardy child you're here hearing more salt on an unfortunate souls wounds. see no lemme curse you o.you will not survive it. dumbass

Respect is earned not grown into.

You obviously have no idea what that means.

Ignored from now.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 11:16am On Feb 06, 2016
Tellemall:

I thought only I read that last part about him drinking and smoking.

It appears he was a drunken smoker who made himself so unbearable that his wife had to take her kids and run away.

It's so surprising that at his age he still indulges in such damaging activities. 83-year old indeed. I'll bet he's in his sixties but wasted himself on his excesses.

Look at the response from those who don't read.

mikolo80:

Imagine. This is a future leader who wants respect because he is old. Pls follow Ben Bruce on Twitter and get some of that stuff he's dishing out.

Magicminister and usautobuy una head they there.

Many are dropping emotional response without logic.

I can assure you he man was a terrible father not from a financial point but an emotional one.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by Abednego1: 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2016
angrywtf
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by glossy6(f): 6:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
danidee10:

And who is dis one
Can't you handle a joke?
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by danidee10(m): 8:44pm On Feb 06, 2016
glossy6:

Can't you handle a joke?

Can't you mind your own business?
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 10:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
armadeo:

Look at the response from those who don't read.

Imagine. This is a future leader who wants respect because he is old. Pls follow Ben Bruce on Twitter and get some of that stuff he's dishing out.

Magicminister and usautobuy una head they there.

Many are dropping emotional response without logic.

I can assure you he man was a terrible father not from a financial point but an emotional one.
I am not a future leader. I lead today. we nor be mate. you are the future leader (hopefully).
I do not believe in respect cos of age. but you respect him as a human being. how would you like it if you made a mistake and ppl passing by insulted you till the day you die. no compassion just ridicule. he's down he's down, why add insult to injury. or you think it's by your power and night that you're where you are abi. you know every. you sabi all. don't worry watch and see how tables turn quickly. Shebi we're responding emotionally. Shebi you want to see what tribulation looks and feels like. just remember to look at how job got himself out of it. cos I doubt you'll be able to find me to ask for the curse to be lifted
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 10:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
armadeo:

Respect is earned not grown into.

You obviously have no idea what that means.

Ignored from now.
so you only respect middle class yuppies and above. you think you're where you are by your power and wisdom. may the almighty not test your resolve.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 10:59pm On Feb 06, 2016
kilokeys:

4251837141 dummy.
My take is, he was probably dismissed from the force. And his id collected.
I went to Command.. Our barracks was a resettlement one for old soldiers. . Not all his colleagues died in battle.. Just shut up before I vex for u o
they said they saw the id for years. how do you dismiss a retired person. like I said before, you're still young o, not yet senile and you can't even read and comprehend yet you expect a 83 year old destitute to cram army number. I am an nda ,command and navy secondary school alumnus. Wetin you wan claim to take intimidate me next.you know only what you know don't think you know anything because you grew up in barracks, the baba lived in the barracks, you're just a dependent.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 11:43pm On Feb 06, 2016
mikolo80:

Who are you that you think you sit behind your computer throwing curses around. I bared my mind on a topic and you bared yours I have a right to my opinions as do you. The above was your first mention.

mikolo80:
I am not a future leader. I lead today. we nor be mate. you are the future leader (hopefully).
I do not believe in respect cos of age. but you respect him as a human being. how would you like it if you made a mistake and ppl passing by insulted you till the day you die. no compassion just ridicule. he's down he's down, why add insult to injury. or you think it's by your power and night that you're where you are abi. you know every. you sabi all. don't worry watch and see how tables turn quickly. Shebi we're responding emotionally. Shebi you want to see what tribulation looks and feels like. just remember to look at how job got himself out of it. cos I doubt you'll be able to find me to ask for the curse to be lifted

You lead today is your cup of tea. Everybody knows himself. You don't grow into respect you earn it. Look at your first response.

Back to the issue, when a man falls its not a problem it's when he refuses to get up that's the problem. You probably haven't dealt with his kind that's why you are here raining curses on your head.

If you made a mistake it's allowed but stupidity is repeating the same action expecting a different result. Go figure that one out.

You sure are right about one thing we aren't mates in anyway.

Bug off.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 11:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
mikolo80:
so you only respect middle class yuppies and above. you think you're where you are by your power and wisdom. may the almighty not test your resolve.

You seem to have a comprehension problem. Where did I add class to respect. I think you should read my signature. It applies to you no doubt.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 11:52pm On Feb 06, 2016
armadeo:

You seem to have a comprehension problem. Where did I add class to respect. I think you should read my signature. It applies to you no doubt.
tsk tsk tsk. and to imagine you will be a supervisor of men and materiel with this level of education. SMH SMGH
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 12:04am On Feb 07, 2016
armadeo:

Who are you that you think you sit behind your computer throwing curses around. I bared my mind on a topic and you bared yours I have a right to my opinions as do you. The above was your first mention.

someone who knows they are effective
and thinks your repugnant remarks deserve them

You lead today is your cup of tea. Everybody knows himself. You don't grow into respect you earn it. Look at your first response.

you respect all humans till you know for a fact not hearsay, that they disrespected themselves

Back to the issue, when a man falls its not a problem it's when he refuses to get up that's the problem. You probably haven't dealt with his kind that's why you are here raining curses on your head.

and you think alcoholism(addiction) is something that willpower can overcome in his present circumstances without help.
may you never be tested like this man. (for you will fail miserably with this know it all attitude)

If you made a mistake it's allowed but stupidity is repeating the same action expecting a different result. Go figure that one out.

and you think cycle of addiction is so easily broken with mouth

You sure are right about one thing we aren't mates in anyway.

Bug off.

you got that right

so you're willing to learn
that's a good sign
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 1:17am On Feb 07, 2016
mikolo80:

you got that right

so you're willing to learn
that's a good sign

Comprehension.
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by mikolo80: 1:20am On Feb 07, 2016
armadeo:

Comprehension.

no self enlightenment
Re: 83-year-old Retiree Sleeps Under Bridge For 17 Years (pic) by armadeo(m): 1:23am On Feb 07, 2016
mikolo80:
no self enlightenment

Whatever rocks your boat. Am done with this discourse. I stick to my opinions you stick to yours.

Ps my last post was sarcastic.

Bye.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Fathers Are Neglected In Old Age. ( A Must Read For Guys) / Man Marries Woman Impregnated By Her Lover / Missing Pregnant Woman In Abuja Found (See Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.