Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,743 members, 7,806,039 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria (7998 Views)

Obituary Of Ndukwu Chizorom Cecilia, Doctor Who Died Of Laser Fever In Abia / The Doctor Killed By Lassa Fever In Abia Pictured / 72 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by ijustdey: 12:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
A growing Lassa fever outbreak in Nigeria has killed 101 people, as West Africa battles to contain a flare up of the virus, according to data from the nation's health authorities released Saturday.

Nigeria Centre for Disease (NCDC) statistics show that reported cases of the haemorrhagic disease -- both confirmed and suspected -- stood at 175 with a total of 101 deaths since August.

"As at today, 19 (including Abuja) states are currently following up contacts, or have suspected cases with laboratory results pending or laboratory confirmed cases," the NCDC said in a statement.

Deaths from the virus were recorded in the nation's political capital, Abuja, Lagos, and 14 other states, the NCDC said.

While health authorities assure Africa's most populous country of more than 170 million they have the virus under control, there are fears the actual scale of the outbreak is under-reported.

The outbreak of Lassa fever was only announced in January -- months after the first case of the disease happened in August -- with subsequent deaths reported in 10 states, including Abuja.

Last year, 12 people died in Nigeria out of 375 infected, while in 2012 there were 1,723 cases and 112 deaths, according to the NCDC.

In neighbouring Benin at least nine people have died in a Lassa outbreak, with a total of 20 suspected cases, health authorities said Tuesday.

Benin was last hit by a Lassa fever outbreak in October 2014, when nine people suspected of having the virus died.
The number of Lassa fever infections in West Africa every year is between 100,000 to 300,000, with about 5,000 deaths, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Lassa fever belongs to the same family as Marburg and Ebola, two deadly viruses that lead to infections

with fever, vomiting and, in worse case scenarios, haemorrhagic bleeding.
Its name is from the town of Lassa in northern Nigeria where it was first identified in 1969.

Endemic to the region, Lassa fever is asymptomatic in 80 percent of cases but for others it can cause internal bleeding, especially when diagnosed late.

The virus is spread through contact with food or household items contaminated with rats' urine or faeces or after coming in direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person.

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/101-die-in-nigeria-from-lassa-fever-outbreak/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by nnachukz(m): 12:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
The government which has shown to be lacking a clear cut policy direction in all sectors will not even care to show serious commitment in ending this. The death toll keeps rising.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Kreamie(m): 12:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
Wow..Unlike the fight we put up against Ebola..Lassa fever is clearly winning cry cry cry

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Shehucom(m): 12:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
May God help us in eradicating these viruses for life, I can't wait to start drinking garri again
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Ojestas(m): 12:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
The fear of rat

Before Before, na we dey pursue rat. . Now, the reverse is the case

2 Likes

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by cutetopsey(f): 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
shocked
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Amastermovic(m): 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by AceRoyal: 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
Lassa fever
Bokoharam
Fulani herds men
Biafra
Niger Delta Militants
Economic Recession
Lies and propaganda epidemic,etc

Surely it's really a bad time to be President,but just incase Baba is tired or clueless on how to go about all these challenges,he should hand over his position to me.tongue

May God Help Us and May he bless Nigeria.
My God bless the President and give him,and his officials the wisdom to lead this country not into destruction but prosperity!

Amen!

1 Like

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by annexworld(m): 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
God help us oooo
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by erekoshe: 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
Does this government not have misplaced priorities at this moment? Channel all efforts to manage this calamity before going back to business.. The president only care abt corruption.. The youths about fighting for politics and the politicians about making money

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Kolababe: 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
. Please have mercy Lord

2 Likes

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by kennyman2000(m): 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
Ohhh boy
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Afrocatalyst: 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
When the govt wil not fimigate properly. Instead they resort to cheap ways to gain population by underpaying workers.

Get yout packs of rat vanishers and get rid of rats around your environment. It makes rats die outside.

A pack of 25 is 5000. Pack of 50 is 9700 while pack of 100 is 19000.

5 packs of the pack of hundred(500) will conveniently do an acre space.

Quality fumigation liquids are also available. 25ltrs for 12,500. 50ltrs for 23,000. And 100ltrs for 42,000.

We have fumigation equipments for sale too.
Call 08073122596 to order yours(whatsapp too). We deliver to all parts of the country but you handle delivery charges.

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by labamo07(m): 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
Chineke!!!!!!! God punish all una wey dey take human being do lab test. From ebola to lassa to zika............
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
cry Ebola was deadlier but didnt kill upto 5 cry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by PresVA: 12:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
Hmmmm.. this is becoming serious. .

Is this end time? What's with the virus outbreaks? Ebola virus, Zika virus, then Lassa?

God help us..
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by simplemach(m): 12:52pm On Feb 06, 2016
nonsense
And our incompetent leader and his cabinate are busy probing, Blaming and fighting PDP in the name of corruption while death toll from Lassa Fever keep rising.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by omogin(f): 12:53pm On Feb 06, 2016
Nationwide strike by healthcare workers due to unpaid 3 months salaries imminent. It is well o

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by denedene(m): 12:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
101 deaths? now i know we don't have a minister of health. The government is now engrossed in it's constant chase of corruption and it has forgotten the necessary ingredients to government. Even though, i don't like buhari, it's time i pray for him. He really doesn't know what to do cry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by mirabel001(f): 12:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
lassa fever shall nt be our portion IJN....no rat lassa fever rat shall come near thee or thy dwellin..IJN

8 Likes

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Kangol99(m): 12:55pm On Feb 06, 2016
YEEEeEEeeeEeHh
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 12:57pm On Feb 06, 2016
My goodness! embarassed
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Pavarottii(m): 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
Buhari, Buhari, Buhari! How many times did I call u?

By now all states u should av an emergency quarintine centre and curb this. Who is even the minister of health sef? Ohh I remember now, the same guy that blamed the last administration for the death cases of Lassa fever now. And someone will tell me to pray and support this new administration, when they themselves are confused. Everybody that voted change, what do u av to say now??

God forbids this kinda leadership!
They should leave the country, if it's too difficult for them to control!

Buhari is a dullard. Same goes to his minister!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Mcowubaba: 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
Nigeria is lacking public health personnels and epidemiologists, or are not making use of them.
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by 5starmilitant: 1:01pm On Feb 06, 2016
Incompetency is another name for this government. I wonder how this government would have handled Ebola.

I tuale for Gej jare.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Benbisco(f): 1:07pm On Feb 06, 2016
Really sad. But I wonder why the awareness is not like that of Ebola. A lot of propl

1 Like

Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by chesterlee(m): 1:09pm On Feb 06, 2016
Originated from the town of Lassa in Northern Nigeria

Kai!!!
Abokki and dirtiness!!!
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Elxandre(m): 1:09pm On Feb 06, 2016
I doubt there are even as much jingles out there sensitizing Nigerians to this scourge.
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by Trailblazer1(m): 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2016
cool
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by daveP(m): 1:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
Alll former ministers of health couldnt perform, underperformed cos they are not seen 'relevance enough for attention'

all incoming government use health sector as ref in their criticisms, but once they are in power, they forget the sector. The sector need a pump of big cah=billions, more and persistent watch from Presidency to revive itself.

Seems like they give-up on making impact; the war is lost before we began mentality.
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by seguntijan(m): 1:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
every democratic regime has always been battling with one disease or the other 1. Obasanjo---------- HIV 2. Yaradua---------- Birdflu 3. Jonathan--------Ebola 4. Buhari---------Lassa
Re: 101 Die From Lassa Fever In Nigeria by dreamworld: 2:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
Na waoo

(1) (2) (Reply)

At What Age / Class Did You Stop Bedwetting? / It's Time Nigerian Health Sector Adopts Euthanasia - Nigerian Lawyer Says / OCI Foundation Unveils AlexReports As PR Strategist (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.