Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court (27306 Views)

Magu's Confirmation: Senate Unfazed By Presidency’s Decision To Head To S’court / S’court Justices Under Probe Withdraw From Sittings / S’court Ruling: Nobody Can Steal My Mandate, Says Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by olajizz01(m): 1:19pm On Feb 07, 2016
yaki84:

I tell u. the most bloodiest elections in d history of nigeria, imagine Inec residential commissioner n his entire family killed in one state. may God forgive him of his sins.
Amen.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by johnwell(m): 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2016
Caseless:
cos he helped to unseat his 'lordship in corruption' aka ineffectual-B?

Go and die

you got it right; ineffectual-B indeed!
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Montaque(m): 2:09pm On Feb 07, 2016
SoNature:

GEJ and Jega redefined who a voter is unlike what we used to have before now, and this has been the main issue in Nigeria today. No need to weep because 2019 is still far for a serious country to change its electoral acts.

All this govt needs to do, if they really want to consolate on what GEJ has built upon, is to amend the electoral act and send it to national assembly.

They must amend it to cover the crazy scenario we encountered in Kogi State(where a hopeful dies before the results r being announced) as well as use the better definition of who a voter has become. For more clarification, a voter according to Jega is someone who has a Permanent Voter's Card and not just someone whose name is on the accreditation register like we used to have it

APC must want to benefit from this loophole till and after 2019. it may be a good judgment now, but I won't be tomorrow
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Jesusloveyou: 2:53pm On Feb 07, 2016
vedaxcool:
So the card reader cannot be used side by side with voters register which can easily be tempered with strange names like bill Clinton voting in Nigeria?

These people enjoy on dwelling on technicalities rather than substance. They have condemned many to premature deaths by rejecting a fundamental blockage to violence. Rather than work for progress they have have become stumbling blocks. The same judges will gleefully tell you court has powers to make the law through interpretation but it seems when it comes to law benefiting the general public they hide their elitist heads in laws that are not progressive.
u are right, i don't know why sc tow dis line of injustice,in short d cjn need to be remove, voters register of 2m illegal voters in river state were d real voters were less than 300,000 voters, that explaination wil never hold water.

1 Like

Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by ogmaskman: 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2016
yaki84:

bros apc erred in the premise they went to court with.
in akwaibom state apc said there was no election on 11 april 2015.
inec proof its case that there was elections in d state, pdp proof its case that they was election n that they voted.
tribunal annulled election in 18 out of 31 lga in the state.
at appeal apc begged the court to cancel the rmaining 13 lga that there were massive rigging n overvoting n collosal killings in d state, bros how can there be overvoting when thr is no election?
how can thr be rigging when thr was no election?
how can apc have one member in the state house of assembly when thr was no election? it may suffice u to know that elections Into state house of assembly takes place the same day governorship election is held.
so how was dat possible broda?
broda In law it is what u beg that will be given to u, if u take someone to court for stealing 1million naira, the court will do justice to what u appealed for, they wont go extra miles in digging whether the accused also slept with ur wive n kids.
in taraba the apc lady took pdp to tribunal that they won the election considering the fact that the margin was close n thre was violence in one lga which was d deciding local govt area in the state, what dis the tribunal did? I stead of judging based on what the apc candidate prayed for, instead they stepped outside their jurisdiction n gave judgement based on d fact that pdp didnt do primaries n so doing pdp dont have a valid candidate.
but the same case happened In benue whr the pdp guy also requested tne tribunal to award him the certificate being that apc neverdid their primaries n dont hv a valid candidate but that case was thrown out for lacking merit. but in the case of taraba it had merit even when the pettitioner did not include it in her prayers for the court.
broda law is gabbage in gabbage out, u cant seek for banana n get pineapple.

I agree with you bro. Their plea should have been that there was massive irregularities and not to say there was no elections at all. I can't agree less bro. You nailed it.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by yaki84: 3:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
two things happen in that supreme court ruling. first the appellants n d defendants. another was their san, counsel if u like.
the one that make news in dis little article of mine will be one wole olanipekun san. they call him the best of the best, he has never lost any litigation esp when it comes to election matter.
what happen here is olanipekun misfired, he shud hv chose one party n not play two games.
he was wike counsel, wike had a serious case cos his from d first ruling the tribunal annulled rivers election, appeal did same all because of card reader n electoral violence. they went to supreme court, he presented his case that card reader was not the sole entity for accreditation, he based his arguments with facts citing ambode vs agbaje case n other refs. he won against all odds.
now another case was established by supreme court, first was lagos n now wike vs dakuku. the victor thr being wole olanipekun.
in akwaibom wole olanipekun was lead counsel to umana okon umana the apc candidate, his prayers was for the court to follow suit at what the lower court said that cardreader was not used in the april 11 election n that there was overvoting due to the manual accreditation of voters.
abeg how can wole win both cases house? if he was sane he wouldnt hv accepted wikes offer to be his lead counsel, maybe apc would hv won the akwaibom case, but he wqnted making money from both sides.
the issue here is BLAME WOLE OLANIPEKUN FOR APC LOST.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by ogunsbanjul(m): 4:58pm On Feb 07, 2016
Well, I just know the present judges are products of the past regime. So, very soon they will be out and good judges will come in Jesus name. God judgments await both the evil political benefactors and their judicial backbones. Just remember, 6 feet for everybody rich or poor, judges or judged, leaders or followers, students or teachers, wealthy or wretchedness, healthy or sick. Happy Sunday.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:50pm On Feb 07, 2016
Montaque:
I am pro Pdp but this judgment has just committed the card reader to the dustbin of history. We spend Billions for its use, yet we can't support its use judicially.
it has also opened ways for the electoral criminals to perpetrate their old tricks.
The SC just rubbished the efforts made by GEJ and JEga in the recent past.

looking @ these from another angle.. i think APC has a hand in it ahead of 2019.. my take....
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by baralatie(m): 9:41pm On Feb 07, 2016
linearity:

I don't think that is what the judgement said, in summary, it is saying that; the card reader can be used side by side with the voters' register; but if there is a dispute or discrepancy, the voters' register supersedes.

In essence, I cannot be denied the right to cast my vote, if the card reader invalidates me, but my name is on the voters' register; which makes a lot of sense.

Even in the US, electronic machines are not used to validate voters on Election Day....when you go to your district to vote, your name will be manually lookup on the district hard copy printed voters' register and you will be asked to sign against your name on that printout before a voter's ballot will be giving to you, which you will tender at the entrance of the voting booth before been allowed to vote.
Exactly
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by baralatie(m): 9:44pm On Feb 07, 2016
ogmaskman:

I agree with you bro. Their plea should have been that there was massive irregularities and not to say there was no elections at all. I can't agree less bro. You nailed it.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by adanny01(m): 10:27pm On Feb 07, 2016
yaki84:

the card reader does not contain the data of voters, what it does is to confirm the authenticity of the card n ticks it a go for the bearer of the card to vote.
u can take a card to a polling unit, n d card is authentic but u wont be able to vote cos first ur name n image need to appear in the voters register.
so pls correct urself abt this twin thng of card reader n voters register cos they r two diffrnt things.
jega from d onset said d card reader was for test running in the last election, n he knew what he was doing cos I cant believe how the same card reader will accredit more than 90percent of voters in the north within 30minutes during the presidential elections but down south it was battling with 20percent after 2hrs.
I voted but the card reader did not capture my prints, d corp member guy just said I shud go cos my image was in d voters register n my pvc carried d same details n Image in d voters register.
so I think d way forward is to get a coincise n better device to do the accreditation cos with this present card reader so many people will be disenfranchise in forth coming elections. atleast u saw what happened to gej in d last guber election in bayelsa, he was accredited manually cos d card reader couldnt capture his print.
and also inec shud send a bill thru the presidency to the Nass to ammend the electoral act so the card reader will now be only basis for accreditation. anything short of that means the apc r playing games with their followers cos they control both the executives n legislature.
pdp r spectators, though they have a say in the govt but they will always be overpowered cos they r d minority.
the ball is in d court of inec n apc to do the needful.
apc zombies shud stop ranting abt the judgement cos the same supreme court favoured them too in the case of agbaje vs ambode concerning the cardreader issue.
I rest my case!

The bolded part is wrong and so are some points you tried to make about the accreditation.

The car reader actually contains the voters data as capture in the voters register and even more.

A successful accreditation is for that the card is successfully read by the reader to be authentic and that your finger print matches the one on record for that particular card holder. By holding the finger print data of all voters, it means that it has the names and other details. This is the reason a single card reader is programmed for a single polling unit not the entire Nigerian voters register.

Secondly, i have not heard of cases where the card is authentic but the name is not in the register at the PU the card was recieved. I have heard otherwise where the name is in the register but card not available. I wonder how a card can be produced with no name on the list. During voting, some people went to wrong PU's but the card reader rejected their cards. In my PU for eg, 2 PU's had almost the same name and in the same village. One is Ungwan Kaura 1 and the other Ungwan Kaura 2. Voters cards and Card readers of the PU's cannot be exchanged and so those who went to PU 2 holding carda of PU 1 were rejected by the card reader.
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by openmine(m): 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
bettercreature:
Gang of robbers,You just signed death warrant of several innocent people comes 2019

No more reliance on tribunal all electoral malpractices will be settled on election day

Nobody has monopoly of violence,Wike will meet us there in 2019
War war war....has it solved any tin in rivers state....?
at least u read d response from d supreme court about d involvement of card readers as an assistance to the verification and not a measure to invalidate an election....

wat u or any sensible person sud do is to pressure the senate to input the card reader into the electoral law as a way to invalidate an election wen dere is over voting...not all dese battle cry every time tins don't go well wit ur party....

Careful wat u wish for cos wen d real violence starts,u and ur party folks will start wearing black clothes doing a one million man match all over portharcourt for dose who died.....just to gain public sympathy online...

for ur info,I don't belong to any party cos dey are all d same!!
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by openmine(m): 11:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
Montaque:
I am pro Pdp but this judgment has just committed the card reader to the dustbin of history. We spend Billions for its use, yet we can't support its use judicially.
it has also opened ways for the electoral criminals to perpetrate their old tricks.
The SC just rubbished the efforts made by GEJ and JEga in the recent past.
its neither d fault of SC or GEJ....Jega sud have asked the senate to input the card reader in our electoral laws as a measure to invalidate any election where dere is over voting....Dats d job of d senate....
the SC does not make laws but interpret wat d law says...
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by Montaque(m): 7:14am On Feb 09, 2016
openmine:

its neither d fault of SC or GEJ....Jega sud have asked the senate to input the card reader in our electoral laws as a measure to invalidate any election where dere is over voting....Dats d job of d senate....
the SC does not make laws but interpret wat d law says...

I know. I was bordered about the fallout of The decision in future elections
Re: Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court by openmine(m): 11:13am On Feb 09, 2016
Montaque:

I know. I was bordered about the fallout of The decision in future elections
yea but SC can't quote or interpret Wats not in d law...I hope the card reader is incorporated in the electoral act soon rather than later....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Owes No One Any Apology On Jobless Nigerian Youths Statement– Tony Momoh / Peter Obi Arrives Enugu, On A Visit To Ugwuanyi (Photos) / Bola Tinubu Asks Osinbajo And FG Not To Increase VAT, Widen Tax Bracket Instead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.