Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

#IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad (58568 Views)

PDP Suspends Ifeanyi Ubah Over His "Disparaging & Unfounded Allegations" / Nigerians Respond To Buhari's 1-Year In Office On BBC With Placards (pics) / Jonatthan Response To Buhari's Disparaging Remark On Nigerian's Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

#IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by TippyTop(m): 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2016
President Muhammad Buhari is coming under fire from a section of the citizenry for condemning the Nigerian community before the international media.

Buhari who is currently in the United Kingdom reportedly to receive medical treatment, made the statements during his interactions with members of the international community, Nigerians in the diaspora and foreign media.

“Some Nigerians claim is that life is too difficult back home, but they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons all over the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking,” he told The Telegraph.

“I don’t think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home, where their services are required to rebuild the country.”

The Telegraph also stated, Nigeria’s president has warned his fellow citizens to stop trying to make asylum claims in Britain, saying that their reputation for criminality has made it hard for them to be “accepted” abroad.

President Buhari resumes office February 10th after his vacation to England.

A cross section of some comments from Nigerians on social media are an indication to the perceived gaffe of The Presidency:

Below are the comments

[[b]i][]Nigeria needs no additional enemy cos Buhari is already doing enough damage both at local and international fronts.

Who in his sane mind paints a bad picture of his home?
Does Buhari understand what diplomacy in speeches mean?

Every nation has its social challenges but they don’t go about brandishing it at the slightest opportunity.

Are we worse than the Chinese, Indians, Lebanese and even Americans? Every nation is working at improving itself but not by washing its dirty linen on international media.

And we wonder why all the investors took off after May 29?

Buhari should never have been Nigeria’s president at this time of global media frenzy

Just look at the way a man who is suppose to promote Nigeria’s image abroad is busy destroying Nigeria’s image abroad and painting Nigerians as corrupt, broke and criminals in the eyes of the world. What a shame !!! THIS APC GOVERNMENT IS NOT ONLY DICTATORIAL WITHOUT RESPECT FOR THE JUDICIARY BUT ALSO SHAMELESS AND CLUELESS. NONSENSE !!!

This is what happens when you elect a dullard with Nepa bill as certificate to be your president

Bubu just called majority of Nigerians abroad criminals

Does the silly president know that his foolish statement can affect honest Nigerians doing honest business?
How dare a president make such statement?
Promoting his fake self proclaimed integrity to the detriment of millions of Nigerians. Even if all Nigerians are criminals you the president isn’t the one to tell the world about it. Yours is to protect the image of Nigeria and Nigerians abroad.
I’m not disappointed though.

Every nation has the good and bad citizens. Whilst there are many Nigerians doing the wrong stuff abroad, there are still many others who go about their business in the most honest and sincere manner.

The President shouldn’t add more injury to our image as a people. He must be careful with his words whenever abroad or even back here. There are millions of decent Nigerians living and working abroad.

Mr. President should stop trying too hard to impress the international media with his not – too – smart comments.

He represents us and; therefore he must endeavour to represent us very well and professionally. The President making such statements can further destroy whatever trace of trust others have towards his own people. Wisdom is very necessary.
[/i][/b]

http://www.theheraldng.com/nigerians-reputation-for-lying-criminality-is-too-high-buhari-laments-to-foreign-media/?wt=3

51 Likes 10 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by TippyTop(m): 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2016
Comments from Nairalanders featured heavily above.

Check below for Twitter reaction

#IAmANigerianNotACriminal

7 Likes

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:14pm On Feb 06, 2016
Many dont know the import of that statement. It'll negatively affect your ability to get jobs & opportunity abroad #IAmANigerianNotACriminal

Mr. Foreign investor, please come invest in my country. Oh and by the way, my people have a reputation for crime #IAmANigerianNotACriminal ---BenBruce

When you listen to an American president talking about America abroad you won't know it's one of the most dysfunctional society on earth. ---BenBruce

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal

If you believe hit like..

405 Likes 20 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by TippyTop(m): 8:16pm On Feb 06, 2016
Nairaland comments featured heavily, even Lasticlala's name appeared outside Nairaland today....hehehehe

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Elosky20: 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2016
am yet to see where he called all nigerians abroad criminals.
people trying to make a mountain from a mole hill.

154 Likes 8 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2016
Whenever u elect a NEPA Bill Holder as ur president, just be rest assured that u're doomed internally & internationally..

Buhary is a certified tear-leader Dullard

209 Likes 14 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by hmath3991(m): 8:20pm On Feb 06, 2016
President Buhari
Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
@op, Just say Igbos/WAILERS ranting nonsense on social media. The president didn't lie,he just spoke the bitter truth.

God bless Nigeria.

*Before you quote me,make sure you've ever crossed your village*

120 Likes 8 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
PMB, do you have a criminal reputation?
Because for me and my family, we don't, we are honest hard working Nigerians and not criminals.

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal

167 Likes 10 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by TippyTop(m): 8:22pm On Feb 06, 2016
Lalasticlala do you support Leicester or Man U?

18 Likes

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 06, 2016
Old man with low IQ

132 Likes 7 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by chriskosherbal(m): 8:26pm On Feb 06, 2016
I am not a criminal,scamer, drug addict or a 419er, I am a honest and sincere Nigerian. And am proud to be a Nigerian.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by chxe: 8:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
when an idiot is incharge

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 06, 2016
BenBruce4Presdt:
PMB, do you have a criminal reputation?
Because for me and my family, we don't, we are honest hard working Nigerians and not criminals.

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal
Keep quiet there. What do you know? Where have you been? The bitter truth is,Nigeria has a bad image in many western countries.

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
That statement was Raw from Buhari. Truth is bitter sha.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 06, 2016
Elosky20:
am yet to see where he called all nigerians abroad criminals.
people trying to make a mountain from a mole hill.
No mind them. Don't tell me you don't know people complaining All these kids you see ranting on social media has not ever step out of their village talk less of what's going on out side Nigeria. The president spoke the bitter truth. They should stop doing drug trafficking,human trafficking and other silly things that bring shame to the country simple.

God bless Nigeria

69 Likes 10 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by luvinhubby(m): 8:39pm On Feb 06, 2016
I am not a criminal, i am an honest, sincere, hardworking Nigerian. Check my signature.

Buhari did not represent me.

#AmaNigerianNotaCriminal.

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by kenny987(f): 8:40pm On Feb 06, 2016
sameer1212:
Keep quiet there. What do you know? Where have you been? The bitter truth is,Nigeria has a bad image in many western countries.

He spoke for himself and his family. Do u know them better than he does?

198 Likes 15 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by luvinhubby(m): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
That statement was Raw from Buhari.
Truth is bitter sha.

Applicable to you & yours, definetly not me.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
luvinhubby:

Applicable to you & yours, definetly not me.

dats not what I mean.
If you count the statistics of Crime commited by Africans in UK, it is commited mainly by Nigerians.
All this Scam of a thing.
That is the point Buhari wants to make.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
sameer1212:

I don't have words for you.. I hope you eat ur bitter truth mix with Ogi and beanCake for dinner tonight..

Which country in this world has a good reputation.. Just like corporate institutions, it's the responsibility of Governments and its official which ur God GMB is the head to protect its interest.

If he is clueless and deluded does not give him the right to go about branding us criminals..

Anyway, his Zombies don't really care about what he dishes out to them.. But for your info, I do...

194 Likes 13 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by luvinhubby(m): 8:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
dats not what I mean.
If you count the statistics of Crime commited by Africans in UK, it is commited mainly by Nigerians.

Are Nigerians the highest number of foreign criminals in U.K. ?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Splashme: 8:47pm On Feb 06, 2016
fd
Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
luvinhubby:

Are Nigerians the highest number of foreign criminals in U.K. ?
by foreign criminals from Africa? Yes.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
sameer1212:
If what Mr president said pain you,tell your brothers to desist from embarrassing us and stop doing drug trafficking.

It's not only my brothers and your brothers that do drugs, but we are yet to see their president go abroad to call his fellow citizens criminals..

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
dats not what I mean.

What stood him from making the point just like you.. .and when they say he is a dullard you still shouts.. .

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by BenBruce4Presdt(f): 8:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
dats not what I mean.

What stops him from making the point just like you.. .and when they say he is a dullard you still shouts.. .

#IAmANigeriaNotACriminal

21 Likes

Re: #IAmANigerianNotACriminal: Nigerians Respond To Buhari Disparaging Remark Abroad by luvinhubby(m): 8:53pm On Feb 06, 2016
Adaure4ever:
by foreign criminals from Africa? Yes.
Are Africans the only people in U.K?

By your post, you agree that even more developed countries have more criminals in U.K , yet their presidents do not go on foreign media to call them criminals.

Buhari is just pathetic.

108 Likes 12 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Senator Shehu Sani Summarises Buhari's 5 Years In Office With A Proverb / Lagos Food Relief Distributes Food In Parts Of Lagos (Pictures) / Asari Dokubo Disassociates Self From Tweet Attributed To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.