Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition (19874 Views)

NCC Stops MTN From Acquiring Visafone / Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions / Etisalat Drags MTN To Court Over Visafone Acquisition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by olokeded: 10:32am On Feb 08, 2016
A fresh controversy is trailing MTN Nigeria’s acquisition of the last surviving Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) operator, Visafone Communications.

The Guardian learnt that Etisalat has instituted a legal action against MTN over the acquisition of Visafone’s 800MHz spectrum.

According to a source, Etisalat is aggrieved about the transaction, claiming that the South African firm, which has been a dominant player in Nigeria, is enjoying too much favoritism and that the deal would further give MTN more powers to dominate other players in the industry. Etisalat was also said to be aggrieved that the bid was not made open for other players to participate.

Etisalat’s Public Relations Regulatory and Corporate Affairs Division Officer, Chinesie Amanfo, confirmed that the firm has filed a suit against MTN over the acquisition.

Amanfo, responding to The Guardian enquiries, said: “The legal action is considered necessary to prevent the use of the Visafone’s 800MHz spectrum by MTN at this time, as it will entrench the dominance of MTN in the retail data services market.

“You will recall that MTN Nigeria was declared dominant by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) in 2013 and remains dominant in the wholesale leased line and retail voice markets.
“The use of the 800MHz spectrum to deploy broadband services ahead of its competitors, particularly those who, prior to MTNs purchase of Visafone, held similar spectrum bands as MTN, will further entrench MTN’s dominance in the Nigerian telecommunications sector.

“We have in addition and in line with Section 86 of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003 engaged the NCC to understand the basis of its decision to approve the acquisition. As you are aware, the matter is already in court, as such, we are restrained from commenting further on the matter.”

When MTN was contacted on the matter, a senior official of the telecommunications firm confirmed that Etisalat had taken the telecommunications firm to court over Visafone acquisition. “I can’t say more than that for now,” the official said.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2016/02/etisalat-sues-mtn-for-acquiring-visafone/
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 08, 2016
Great and amazing move by Etisalat.

Indian business Airtel and Nigerias' own Glo won't be bothered about this kind of unfair practise from MTN. Nonsense!

19 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by excellencyabia1: 10:42am On Feb 08, 2016
Good. Not that i celebrate peoples down fall but mtn has killed me

10 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by oteneaaron(m): 10:43am On Feb 08, 2016
So ethiefsalat are scared emptyhen will surpass them with this new spectrum thingy??

They should buy off another network too na....

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by SmartMugu: 12:18pm On Feb 08, 2016
Dear Lord,
2016 is full of legal issues for MTN, I bind any evil spirit that keeps MTN going to court not to notice me this year.
Amen.

11 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by kulobyno: 12:18pm On Feb 08, 2016
A fight of two elephants
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Ask4bigneyo(m): 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
Orisirisi.... Palapala ilu apala

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Interesting.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Nairalandar: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Clash of the Titans
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by ritababe(f): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
MTN don suffer, but why etisalat they jealous na?
foreign company vs foreign company this movie go sweet die grin

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Jobsdome: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Wow
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by 360ng: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
OKAY..make them continue...wetin be my own for their matter??
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Sijo01(f): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
cheesy
If the bid was not made open, how's that the fault of MTN? Visa phone should be blame for that na.

4 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Frank3n2(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Etisalat should take a chill pill jare grin

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
That is business na.... Wetin concern Etisalat?

3 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ghen Ghen...this is what they call Clash of the titans Reloaded.
I thought MTN claimed they couldn't self finance their NCC fine, yet they have enough change to acquire another Telco?

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by DEXTROVERT: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
MTN pls pay ur fine
..before another one joim
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by shamecurls(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Decapo: 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
Etisalat is scared

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Lilimax(f): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
I won't celebrate this cos both are foreign network provider. embarassed
...I will only say something meaningful if this is coming from GLO an indigenous Nigerian company. smiley

7 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Sammiel: 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
Everybody is charging and suing MTN, something must be 'very right' about that network. MTN! everywhere you go.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by yomalex(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
Chai
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by abeloureal(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
'The south African firm'.......as if they were Nigerian. Anyways, we need indigenous network providers its not that MTN or ETisalat do not all have their flaws.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by mindurword(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
What is your business Etisalat why are you taking pandol for MTN now go and buy Glo if you want it's for sales right now.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Bensondrums(m): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
I love my network ETI-DUDE

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by debbydee(f): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
good.

Cant wait to get the full gist as things unfold.

check my signature
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Mopolchi: 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2016
everybody wan kill emtien.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Bluezy13(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
MTN still thriving irrespective of the storm swaying them...
Hmmmm...

I kinda detest the network but they are always there...

That's commendable

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Intendy: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
The reason etisalat has a point is that that frequency has been well established and opened up.

smile 4g is making use of 800 which will be a bonus to mtn.glo is already awarded 2100,spectranet on 2300 so I expect ncc to have given mtn a new frequency.
though I made my positioned known to ncc even before Mtn bought visafone.
though I'm not a user of etisalat and a stakeholder but they have a point.
ncc even said they made a mistake,so let the court decide.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Begins 4G LTE Internet Services Trial In Nigeria / Why You Should Put Password On Your Phone - Techknowng.com / Get All Mobile Games And Apps Download Link Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.