Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:08 PM

Walden University Is On My Neck. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Walden University Is On My Neck. (34800 Views)

Which University Is The Best In Nigeria? / My Case With Walden University / Advise Needed: Walden University Threatening To Sue Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by iscbaba: 12:11am On Feb 10, 2016
I apply last year..they promised me full schlarshp...later when i started the program it was reduced to half...just within 6 month i was called that my tuition is $4500 that i shd pay ..i asked them to communicate to my advicer cos im on partial schlarship.. d next thing they said was they cant offer anything again that i will have to pay it all, they continue disturbing me...but i told them to be careful cos i will communicate thier dubious act to my government ..pls let b mindful with this sch.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by rugged7(m): 12:54am On Feb 10, 2016
Ignore them or threaten them that their constant hassles is making u depressed and u are considering suicide. I promise they will free u
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by mployer(m): 12:57am On Feb 10, 2016
UjSizzle:
Lol!
Guy next time pls read the T&C and ask necessary questions before doing anything.

Meanwhile the people bothering you now happen to be a law firm in Lagos engaged by both Walden university (which have no actual campus btw) and University of Liverpool for debt recovery. They'll get commissions for whatever recovery they make.

I'd like to know if you've made any payment at all before you commenced studies. It's usually their policy to take library fees before sending books.

Otherwise, seriously ignore them grin grin

kiss kiss
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by linearity: 1:37am On Feb 10, 2016
Legally, since you enrolled in the course and did not officially dropped within the time allowed to drop, you owe the school fees for that semester. It does not matter if you attend classes or not and does not matter if you discussed with the my adviser.

On the online portal where you enrolled for those classes, there should be a place to drop the classes as well and every school will give you a window within which you can drop any class.

I will advise you to pay up, but again; this is Nigeria, it is difficult to collect debts from someone you know not to talk of someone far off...so switching SIM cards will buy you peace of mind...but if you become big tomorrow or want to run for public office, your opponent might dig it up, but again in Nigeria all that does not matter...the only real damage you have done is that, you have spoiled it for other Nigerians, who will come after you, they will now look at them as deadbeats and be more strict with them.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Nobody: 3:53am On Feb 10, 2016
Compliance:
Hi fellow nairalanders, I need urgent and serious advices. I applied for a masters degree at Walden online university in 2013, I always had one of their agents calling me to consider studying with them since I showed my interest. He suggested the course I should put in for. That was masters in public health administration. Sincerely, he was too really on my neck then and I got his calls almost everyday. I guess is a white man. He's always calling to intimate me of the processes, until I got the admission letter, at a point he asked if I could be paying monthly.

I was sent some hard copy textbooks too. I started a few classes online, but when I started it was entirely something, I attended about 3 classes, did an assignment but didn't click with the way things were going. I wasn't used to all online lecture stuffs. Besides, I didn't flow because the course was basically based on the American system of health care delivery. I am and agric graduate, that course was like Latin to me.

I then lodged a complain to an advisor that I couldn't cope and besides its difficult keeping with classses due to several Nigerian factors. He said he'll look into it. Since that time I stopped attending the online classes and stopped totally. I attended the class like 3 times or four before I stopped. My laptop was latter stolen some few weeks after that and all materials were even gone.

After about a year I was called to pay up my school fees, I was like, what school fees? I didnt understand, I never wrote a test or exam let alone of obtaining a certificate. I told them I stopped long ago. They sent a few mails too trying to threaten me to pay up or they'll involve a third party, after about another year, They sent me a mail again, and I replied them the same thing, I even told them I would send the textbooks back to them, to me that was the only thing I can say I'm oweing them or I pay for them so they won't say Nigerians are corrupt. I told them my plight, I stopped working, and had no means of livelihood, a graduate looking for job and trying to make ends meet.

Some weeks ago I was contacted by some agents in Lagos about my indebtedness and that I must pay, I repeated the same response and explained to them that I'll pay for the textbooks and that I only did few classes not up to three weeks. They replied me that I must pay for those classes and the books when I converted the bill to Naira, it was above 400k. I was at first laughing it off, but I got a reminder again tonight.

Please I need urgent advises on what my actions could be. That amount is far too outrageous, even if they sell all I have right now, t won't pay the bill. Anyone that has encountered similar issue should please help with suggestions.
Did you sign anything? What did it say about their fees? Did you write down reasons for stopping? I think it's an oppressive demand.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by bigtt76(f): 3:59am On Feb 10, 2016
Hw far?

Ochek:

@OP. Valid question.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by sidnazious(m): 4:00am On Feb 10, 2016
GBESE!!
Nothing dey shele jare except you have money to dash....
That's all's.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by IAMWEALTHY: 4:27am On Feb 10, 2016
Compliance:
Hi fellow nairalanders, I need urgent and serious advices. I applied for a masters degree at Walden online university in 2013, I always had one of their agents calling me to consider studying with them since I showed my interest. He suggested the course I should put in for. That was masters in public health administration. Sincerely, he was too really on my neck then and I got his calls almost everyday. I guess is a white man. He's always calling to intimate me of the processes, until I got the admission letter, at a point he asked if I could be paying monthly.

I was sent some hard copy textbooks too. I started a few classes online, but when l started it was entirely something, I attended about 3 classes, did an assignment but didn't click with the way things were going. I wasn't used to all online lecture stuffs. Besides, I didn't flow because the course was basically based on the American system of health care delivery. I am and agric graduate, that course was like Latin to me.

I then lodged a complain to an advisor that I couldn't cope and besides its difficult keeping with classses due to several Nigerian factors. He said he'll look into it. Since that time I stopped attending the online classes and stopped totally. I attended the class like 3 times or four before I stopped. My laptop was latter stolen some few weeks after that and all materials were even gone.

After about a year I was called to pay up my school fees, I was like, what school fees? I didnt understand, I never wrote a test or exam let alone of obtaining a certificate. I told them I stopped long ago. They sent a few mails too trying to threaten me to pay up or they'll involve a third party, after about another year, They sent me a mail again, and I replied them the same thing, I even told them I would send the textbooks back to them, to me that was the only thing I can say I'm oweing them or I pay for them so they won't say Nigerians are corrupt. I told them my plight, I stopped working, and had no means of livelihood, a graduate looking for job and trying to make ends meet.

Some weeks ago I was contacted by some agents in Lagos about my indebtedness and that I must pay, I repeated the same response and explained to them that I'll pay for the textbooks and that I only did few classes not up to three weeks. They replied me that I must pay for those classes and the books when I converted the bill to Naira, it was above 400k. I was at first laughing it off, but I got a reminder again tonight.

Please I need urgent advises on what my actions could be. That amount is far too outrageous, even if they sell all I have right now, t won't pay the bill. Anyone that has encountered similar issue should please help with suggestions.

My brother, I understand your predicament. But as it stands now, there is nothing you can do to avert the payment. American school system is totally different fron nigerian system of education. In American system, once you have registered for a class and did not drop the said class/es before or the date the school set for dropping of classes you must pay for them. They dont care if you attended or not. Same goes to adding of class. There are dates set for adding and dropping of classes. I had same experience as a Freshman in 2004. Although, I was educated in America ( University of Houston, class of 2007), and that is why I am telling you this. This is my experience: I reluctantly registered for summer classes after a spring semester. I did not know for sure if I could be taking those classes or not, but I just registerd so that the class would not be full should I decide to take them. I only registerd for three classes. Human anatomy and physio, pre calculus, and Developmental psychology. To cut my story short, I got a summer job and when I saw that my job schedule would not fit my summer class shedule, I reluctantly did not attend classes and did not make any attempt to drop those classes. Summer class started on June 2nd, and final day to drop or add classes was June 9th. I did not check my school email and I just did not have a clue. So, in August of that same year, as i tried to register for Fall semester I was not allowed to register as they put hold on my school record. As I could not register online, I went into the record office to find out what the problem was, but lo and behold, I was owing $4,975.33. I was like, hell no! Sir, I paid my tuition and fees, room and board, I was not owing our campus book store or anything. They told me it was the classes I registered for summer. I tried to talk to the school president but she told me that is d policy. Well, I paid for it cuz if not I would not hv been able to register for Fall classs. Hard lesson! Only thing you will have to do now is write them a letter and explain that you did not understand their policies and system. Make a payment plan. In other words, tell them how much you will be paying every month or every year till you bring your account to zero balance. You can tell them you will be making payment of $100.00 or $150.00 a month. Now if you gonna make that commitment, you will have to keep up with it if not, you will start paying interest and late fees, which will hurt u pretty bad. This is only and only solution to it. There is never and i mean never anything else you can do to not pay for this situation/ your classes. They dont care whether you just register and never flip a page, but for as long as u did not drop those classes, even thogh you earned an F grade for not attending them, you must pay for it. American system. Same way a man marries a woman and get a divorce, the man will move out of his own house that he suffered to build or buy, while the woman occupies it. Yes, this is our American system, and we just live with it. So good luck to you. Hope it works out for u ma dear.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by EmmaGhana: 5:14am On Feb 10, 2016
I shock sef, is this person from 9JA? We de US sef with huge amount owed,we sef no de fear. Why the worry, 9ja get credit system? I am confused, or this be good thread starter?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by DedeNkem: 6:02am On Feb 10, 2016
bigtt76:
Ooh pulesssse stop insulting the OP angry it is his problem not yours. If you can't help him out with good comments then STFU

You're an id*iot. Why would OP, a so-called "graduate" make such a st*upid mistake? Why don't you ask him that?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by DedeNkem: 6:04am On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

Where you ever trained to be courteous in a 'public discourse'?
sad sad
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by DedeNkem: 6:08am On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

Where you ever trained to be courteous in a 'public discourse'?
sad sad

You're an id*iot. I guess you were not "trained" to know the difference between WHERE and WERE.

Why would OP, a so-called "graduate" make such a st*upid mistake? Why don't you ask him that?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by stonecoldcafe: 7:08am On Feb 10, 2016
yetseyi:
Even their short introductory courses that they claim to be free is not in the real sense.

I did apply for one introductory to project management which the agent said its completely free plus the textbook I think it was supposed to run for some weeks.
They did send one nice textbook, a flash drive, a pen and a sort of ID card. I didnt even finish the module.

Late last year I got a letter that I was to pay for IT I guess information technology.

I just checked now its 160 dollars. The agent told me the short course was completely free though.

Did you read the small print to confirm its totally free? Have you paid your debt now?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Nobody: 7:32am On Feb 10, 2016
abbey621:
Speaking from experience, online classes are not meant for lazy or slow learners! The issue with Walden is simple, get another phone number and permanently block all emails from them. You are a Nigerian don't allow them to take advantage of you, abi you be mugu?

SECONDED. Or rather SUPPORTED..
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Teeskye(m): 8:23am On Feb 10, 2016
This so called Walden university also called me sometimes ago but thank God I did not really follow them up because when I asked them the total amount of money am going to spend on the program is over 3m naira immediately I let them know am not working am just a graduate looking for work, so if I have adhere to their call dat day so this is wat will be happening now. Let me delete dere number from my phone immediately. Thanks for d vital info

1 Like

Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by okambaba: 10:31am On Feb 10, 2016
It sounds like a shake down.

Just get a lawyer to look through, I'm sure they're just trying to see what they can get from you.

Compliance:

I was sent some hard copy textbooks too. I started a few classes online, but when I started it was entirely something, I attended about 3 classes, did an assignment but didn't click with the way things were going. I wasn't used to all online lecture stuffs. Besides, I didn't flow because the course was basically based on the American system of health care delivery. I am and agric graduate, that course was like Latin to me.

Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by yetseyi(f): 2:03pm On Feb 10, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

Did you read the small print to confirm its totally free? Have you paid your debt now?

I have not paid I am thinking of sending them a mail when I am less busy. Pls which small print are you talking about. All correspondence I had with the Diana lady and in the offer for the introductory course there were no charges but if I wanted to take other modules I will pay fees that was what I understood. Let me even send a mail to them now.

Why say its completely free then you send a bill for some hidden charges
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by stonecoldcafe: 3:14pm On Feb 10, 2016
yetseyi:

I have not paid I am thinking of sending them a mail when I am less busy. Pls which small print are you talking about. All correspondence I had with the Diana lady and in the offer for the introductory course there were no charges but if I wanted to take other modules I will pay fees that was what I understood. Let me even send a mail to them now.

Why say its completely free then you send a bill for some hidden charges

By small print, I mean the terms and conditions. If you corresponded via post, check all the letters they sent. Then read the small print (usually placed at the bottom of letters and documents even online)

Most times, we are enticed by the caption in bold but when you read the small print (usually contained in the terms and condition) you see something else. Na so oyibo dey do although its wrong. I've fallen victim before and so I know.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by yetseyi(f): 8:38pm On Feb 10, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

By small print, I mean the terms and conditions. If you corresponded via post, check all the letters they sent. Then read the small print (usually placed at the bottom of letters and documents even online)

Most times, we are enticed by the caption in bold but when you read the small print (usually contained in the terms and condition) you see something else. Na so oyibo dey do although its wrong. I've fallen victim before and so I know.

l it was via mail. No terms and conditions (but in reality there are lool) but now she has replied my mail and said that the IT fee is to be paid she said they said it cant be discounted and charged per semester.

I asked her if saying a fee is non discountable and compulsory is the same thing. I asked because there were other things to pay for if I registered for the main modules.

It was written that the introductory short course was free why not put a little asterisk and state that IT fees will still be paid even if its just the short introductory course you want.

Waiting for her next response.

We are still on it.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Ochek: 5:24am On Feb 11, 2016
bigtt76:
Hw far?

I dey o dear. How did you pull through yours?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by stonecoldcafe: 6:27am On Feb 11, 2016
yetseyi:

l it was via mail. No terms and conditions (but in reality there are lool) but now she has replied my mail and said that the IT fee is to be paid she said they said it cant be discounted and charged per semester.

I asked her if saying a fee is non discountable and compulsory is the same thing. I asked because there were other things to pay for if I registered for the main modules.

It was written that the introductory short course was free why not put a little asterisk and state that IT fees will still be paid even if its just the short introductory course you want.

Waiting for her next response.

We are still on it.

Na so their way be but its very wrong. For example, you dont want to know the number of people who have bought things on Amazon.co.uk and clicked an option (at the checkout point) which would make their delivery faster. Unknown to them, that would sign them up for what is called Amazon Prime and thereafter they start getting charged £50 per month. By the time you call bank to rant or call Amazon, they will tell you that you signed up for their Amazon Prime then when you go back and read the terms and condition, you will realize how one click can cost you.

Its so crazy;Oyibo show me pepper nor be small so anything free, i'm ALWAYS weary about it. I always ask them, ''would I be tied into any contract period, is there ANY payment I need to make today or would have to make at a later date?'' I only proceed after getting satisfactory response to both. We in Naija are yet to learn their ways but I guess we have started learning small small with all these stories.

Anyway all the best with your case.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by bigtt76(f): 7:35am On Feb 11, 2016
Not with Walden but University of Liverpool. It was through determination, hardworking and sacrifice. That's all you need to survive.

Ochek:

I dey o dear. How did you pull through yours?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Ochek: 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
bigtt76:
Not with Walden but University of Liverpool. It was through determination, hardworking and sacrifice. That's all you need to survive.

Thank you for your response.
Was your tuition fee payed in installments? Yes? How was it done? What were the set backs for you?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by bigtt76(f): 4:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
Yes it was done in installments and monthly (minimum of $500). I used card payment (MasterCard Naira) options back then. Only set back was getting on time the reading materials and effect on my pocket grin $500 then was N76k but now its way up undecided So think before you jump into it.

Ochek:

Thank you for your response.
Was your tuition fee payed in installments? Yes? How was it done? What were the set backs for you?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by Ochek: 4:31pm On Feb 11, 2016
bigtt76:
Yes it was done in installments and monthly (minimum of $500). I used card payment (MasterCard Naira) options back then. Only set back was getting on time the reading materials and effect on my pocket grin $500 then was N76k but now its way up undecided So think before you jump into it.

Boy! Now I can't just wait for $1=1N.

Hmmmmm....thanks dear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by bigtt76(f): 6:20pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hahaha

Ochek:

Boy! Now I can't just wait for $1=1N.

Hmmmmm....thanks dear.
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by t4westlife(m): 11:14am On Sep 23, 2017
Hello everyone, I am in the same issue. They have been threatening and they have assigned it to a local legal firm in Nigeria pursuing me for repayments. Please how were you able to solve the problem?
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by peter901: 8:48am On Oct 16, 2017
Hello compliance,
How did you you resolve the issue.
Kindly let me know. i know some in the same trouble and would like to get out of it
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by peter901: 8:52am On Oct 16, 2017
How did you resolve the Issue
Re: Walden University Is On My Neck. by privatetisa(m): 6:14am On Dec 31, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EBSU Graduate Shot Dead By Suspected Cultists In The School(graphics photo) / Nigerian Universities That Have Radio Broadcasting Station. / 12 Things Anyone Who Went To UNIBEN Will Understand Perfectly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.