Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday (795 Views)

Our Daily Bread Tuesday April 19 2016 <*> The God Who Paints<*> / Kingdom Seed Devotional (KSD) TUESDAY, 12TH APRIL, 2016. / Our Daily Bread Tuesday April 5 2016 <*> Don't Walk Away <*> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday by akinwole21: 10:48pm On Feb 08, 2016
PANCAKE DAY 09/02/16
Pancake Day has been suggested to originate from a pagan holiday where slaves celebrate the arrival of spring. Pancakes are made on this day for celebration and the hot round pancakes symbolise the sun and by eating pancakes, the slaves believed they got power, light and warmth of the sun (Wikipedia).
Pancake day also known as Shrove Tuesday has been celebrated for centuries, it is known as Mardi Gras(Fat Tuesday) in French and Fasnacht (night of the fast) in German. It is the day that precedes Ash Wednesday which is the start of lent for Christians, hence the different dates it has each year as it is determined by Ash Wednesday. Traditionally, pancakes are made on this day to use up rich and indulgent foods such as milk and eggs before the beginning of lent (Wikipedia).
The word “Shrove” is another form of the English word “Shrive” which means obtaining
absolution for oneself by means of confession and penance (freedictionary.com). It is meant
to be a day to carry out self-examination, check yourself and repent from any wrong doing.
Self-examination should be a daily activity for Christians; we should not wait for the “Shrove
Tuesday” before we examine ourselves- IICorinth 13v5. Self-examination is crucial as we are in the last days, there are so many doctrines and teachings out there that are contradictory to the bible, we do not want to be tossed to and fro with all these hence the need the self-examination. Daily self-examination strengthens our relationship with God as this is an avenue for Him to speak to us and correct us- Rev 3V19. Daily self-examination is a way of saying “God I can’t run this race all by myself, I need your help”. Self-examination helps us to confirm if we are in the right standing with God (ICorinth 10:12). Let him who thinks he is
standing take heed lest he falls.
In addition, daily self-examination is a very good way to guard against backsliding.
Backsliding is a step by step process that doesn’t happen in a day like a friend will say:
“na from clap dem dey enter dance”
This simply means you start dancing by first clapping. If self-examination becomes a daily
activity, the process of backsliding can be cut
short as one can easily retrace his or her steps
back to God.
In conclusion, while we are in the mood for making pancakes and eating pancakes on “Shrove Tuesday”, let us ponder on the reason for this day, let us examine ourselves to
confirm our standing in God and let us take conscious effort to make self-examination a daily activity. Let us also tell the kids about the genesis of the day as a lot of them are excited about having pancakes and do not even know the reason behind this.
Shalom!!
Re: Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday by plappville(f): 5:36am On Feb 09, 2016
No one even celebratE mardi gras here. I have never witnessed it even when I was working in a social center.
They write it in thier calendar though. I think you are right one need to note all these pagan feasting. The most celebrated pagan festival by christians is CHRISTMAS. If you delete mardi gras, you should delete Christmas (Noël) too. They are all rooted from the Roman, German French ecetera. All Western gods. Old Babylonian festivals.
Re: Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday by plappvillesacun: 5:38am On Feb 09, 2016
plappville:
No one even celebratE mardi gras here. I have never witnessed it even when I was working in a social center.
They write it in thier calendar though. I think you are right one need to note all these pagan feasting. The most celebrated pagan festival by christians is CHRISTMAS. If you delete mardi gras, you should delete Christmas (Noël) too. They are all rooted from the Roman, German French ecetera. All Western gods. Old Babylonian festivals.

Remember that time when got real drunk and you let my boys run a train on you. Damn ur vajayjay sure stunk yo
Re: Pancakeday/Shrove Tuesday by plappville(f): 5:49am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:

Remember that time when got real drunk and you let my boys run a train on you. Damn ur vajayjay sure stunk yo

You are pained for a dead retarded self claimed prophet.
A child molest, rapist and a caravan raider. Satan's agent. MUHAMMAD (stress be upon him)... cheesy

Keep following me. I dont know you but i know Muhammad. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Deathstroke007 Your Front Page Post Shows Your Lack Of Common Sense / What's Your View About This ? Yes Or No? / To The Atheists, And Then Every One: One Single Proof Of God's Existence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.