Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (37154 Views)

I'm Worried, I Finally Graduated With 2:2, Any Advice For Me? / Why South East Is Doomed / Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 2:17am On Feb 09, 2016
PunchNG: Last week, the 2015 West African Senior School Certificate of Education result was released. The Punch chose to publish the story with an attention-grabbing headline: “Again, South-East leads in the WASSCE performance chart.” The report showed that Abia State dethroned Anambra. The states were ranked according to the percentage that had a minimum of five credits, including in English Language and Mathematics.

But the surprise in the report was that almost like in 2014, no South-West state except Lagos was on the top 10 of the chart. The top 10 states were the five South-East states, four South-South states and Lagos: 1st – Abia (63.94 per cent), 2nd – Anambra (61.18 per cent), 3rd – Edo, 4th – Rivers, 5th – Imo, 6th – Lagos, 7th – Bayelsa, 8th – Delta, 9th – Enugu, and 10th – Ebonyi. Ekiti was 11th; Ondo was 13th; Ogun was 19th; Oyo was 26th; while Osun was 29th. In 2014, the top 10 states were similar: Anambra (65.92 per cent), Abia (58.52 per cent), Edo (57.82 per cent), Bayelsa (52.83 per cent), Rivers (52.78 per cent), Enugu (51.91 per cent), Lagos (45.66 per cent), Imo (40.64 per cent), Delta (40.12 per cent), Kaduna (36.12 per cent). Ebonyi was 11th with 36.05 per cent.

For 2014, the states with the least performance were Northern states: They were Yobe (36th), Zamfara (35th), Jigawa (34th), Gombe (33rd), Katsina (32nd), Kebbi (31st) Bauchi (30th), and Sokoto (29th). In 2013, the result was similar: 28th – Katsina (10.45 per cent), 29th – Adamawa (8.75 per cent), 30th – Jigawa (7.47 per cent), 31st – Sokoto (7.12 per cent), 32nd – Zamfara (6.65 per cent), 33rd – Kebbi (6.30 per cent), 34th – Gombe (5.68 per cent), 35th – Bauchi (5.28 per cent), and 36th – Yobe (4.85 per cent).

Someone from the South-East or South-South could see it as a reason for chest-thumping, but for me, it portends grave danger. Why do I say so? I will explain shortly.Those who had not been following the trend in education could dismiss this as a flash in the pan. But it is not so. I have followed the trend since the late 1980s. From 1996 when the late military dictator, Sani Abacha, created 36 states out of Nigeria, the three states that have been producing the highest number of applicants in the examination organised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board have been Imo, Anambra and Delta.

The Guardian of August 26, 1999, page 31, had some statistics about the 1999 UTME examination. It showed that the six states with the highest number of applications were: Imo (44,274), Delta (36,375), Anambra (34,206), Ogun (33,375), Edo (29,057), and Osun (22,950). Conversely, the states that produced the least number of candidates were all Northern states: Borno (1,572), Katsina (1,054), Taraba (882), Sokoto (782), Kebbi (794), and Yobe (535). The Registrar of JAMB then, Prof. Bello Ahmad Salim, lamented the poor showing of the Northern states, noting that the 65,000 applications from the 19 states of the North were just 20,726 higher than the number of applications from only Imo State. If Imo and Delta states’ applications were combined, that would amount to 80,649 applications: over 15,000 higher than the applications from the 19 states of the North.

In 2007, The Guardian newspaper of June 1, page 3, published the results of the 2007 University Matriculation Examination. The top six states with the highest number of candidates were Imo (93,065), Anambra (64,689), Delta (61,580), Edo (57,754), Akwa Ibom (47,928), and Ogun (47,227). The last six were: Kebbi (4,682), Sokoto (3,925), Taraba (3,832), Zamfara (2,904), Jigawa (2,541), and Yobe (2,516).

For the 2012 results released by JAMB and published by Vanguard of March 31, the top five states were: Imo (123,865), Delta (88,876), Anambra (84,204), Osun (73,935), Oyo (71,272). The least five states were: Jigawa (11,529), Kebbi (7,364), Yobe (6,389), Zamfara (5,713), and Sokoto (5,664).

In the Unity School admission of 2013, the states that got the highest cut-off marks were: Anambra – Male (139) Female (139); Imo – Male (138) Female (138); Enugu – Male (134) Female (134); Lagos – Male (133) Female (133); Delta – Male (131) Female (131); Ogun – Male(131) Female(131); Abia – Male (130) Female (130). The states that got the lowest cut-off scores were: Zamfara – Male (four) Female (two); Yobe – Male (two) Female (27); Taraba – Male (three) Female (11); Sokoto – Male (nine) Female (13); Kebbi – Male (nine) Female (20); Bauchi – Male (35) Female (35).

[b]So, for those from the South-West and North who may give the excuse of the South-East and South-South states getting these results by the help of “special centres,” it is a case of trying to hide behind a finger. Instructively, the South-West, which was the first to receive Western education, and was ahead in education, has lost its place in education in Nigeria. Something is killing the interest of the South-West children in education. The six South-West states need to see this as an emergency that transcends party affiliation. This scenario is a source of danger because the South-East and South-West have been counter forces to each other. Whatever feat the South-West produces, the South-East counters it, and vice versa. We can see it in the literary feats of Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka, the football feats of Shooting Stars and Rangers, the political feats of Nnamdi Azikiwe and Obafemi Awolowo, the academic feats of University of Nigeria, Nsukka and University of Ife, Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), and so on. This healthy rivalry enhances stability, peace and growth in the nation.[/b]

But if this downward trend continues, in future, that balancing of forces between the South-West and the South-East will no longer exist. And given that the indigenes of the South-East and the South-South dwell in large numbers in the South-West, a time will come when the South-West could feel angry that the indigenes of the South-East and South-South are taking over positions that the South-West indigenes should occupy in the South-West. This may cause problems as witnessed in the xenophobic attacks in South Africa last year. So, it is in the interest of all that the South-West stage a come-back in education.

The case of the North is scarier. Many commentators keep quiet about this worrisome issue because of political correctness, but only someone who loves you can tell you that you have mouth odour. It is dangerous that there are 10 million youths in the North with no formal education.

The rise of Boko Haram has worsened a bad situation in the North. The few who want to go to school are scared away by this unconscionable terrorist sect.

There are those who have erroneously said that the lack of interest in education in the North is caused by religion (Islam). But there are many nations with high Islamic population even in West Africa that embraced education. Furthermore, Northern states like Taraba, Plateau and Benue have a predominantly Christian population. Yet, there is a low interest in education there.

There is no proof that Northerners have lower IQ than Southerners. All men are created equal. The prevailing environmental conditions make the difference.

So, the quota system is an enemy of the North that every Northerner who loves the North must speak against. Without competition and challenges, there is no burning desire in man to excel.

Nigeria runs on a quasi-unitary structure with each link coupled to the other. It moves as a unit. It can only move as fast as its slowest link and perform as good as its weakest link. It is in the interest of Nigeria that the fire of education is rekindled in the North. This will expand the opportunities available for Northern youths and reduce the tensions and suspicion that exist between the North and the South.

We must also jettison this failed feeding-bottle federalism that we have and adopt true federalism that allows the federating units to move at their own pace and be competitive. A country that does not promote competition abhors excellence.

source: http://www.punchng.com/education-why-south-west-and-north-should-be-worried/

105 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 2:27am On Feb 09, 2016
From the south-east to the south-west and down to the north education is generally bad in Nigeria and needs urgent attention. Apart from the lack of infrastructures and incentives from the government to teachers, kids these days do not show any desire to learn. How can one explain the fact that an average eight-year-old in lagos knows the lyrics of efejoku off hand but doesn't know how many continents we have in the world ?. Take a trip to any jamb center most prospective undergraduates students writing the exam are more interested in any expo they can lay theirs hands on before the exam starts. The moral decadence social media has caused is a topic for another day. That was how one jamb student boasted to me how he scattered post ume exam immediately after the test. well, I was curious to know the type of questions that was asked. He told me in the current affairs they asked "who the senate president was", I was like the questions are cheap oo. something just told me to ask him and when I did he said " is it not David mark" I shook my head in disbelief with all the news of saraki then when his corruption case just started with CCT I knew he would fail and yes he failed woefully.

126 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by TamunoRichard(m): 2:37am On Feb 09, 2016
But the south west would still dominate in the bussiness and labour sector because all we the south south and the south east think is only school while the people from the south west after or before schooling are going for other proffesional training and leadership certifation programmes to boost their cv, therefore beating you with 9 A's in the labour market any day any time.

We can beat them in exams, but they calculates the bussiness and the labour market more than us.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 2:57am On Feb 09, 2016
TamunoRichard:
But the south west would still dominate in the bussiness and labour sector because all we the south south and the south east think is only school while the people from the south west after or before schooling are going for other proffesional training and leadership certifation programmes to boost their cv, therefore beating you with 9 A's in the labour market any day any time.

We can beat them in exams, but they calculates the bussiness and the labour market more than us.

So the SE or SS don't go for leadership and professional certification too? your argument is not valid except you provide a statistics that shows otherwise. In the federal civil service and private firms, the SW and SE have fair representations. As for business, I don't know the type of business you mean. If you are not talking about Mike Adenuga's type of business an average Nigerian knows the south-easterners dominate small scale business in Nigeria. One mistake people make is that they feel those guys don't go to school.. lol, very wrong things are changing and changing fast. The new crop are graduates that have taken up their family business or those that are fed up with the unemployment rate. so instead of waiting for an imaginary shell offer they resort to doing one business or the other to keep body and soul. One thing you should appreciate the easterners for is that in all fronts they have fair representations and are not lacking even if they do not dominate. From the entertainment industry to sports to business and now to education that used to be the pride of the sw. In futa where I graduated from, it is not out of place to see Igbos graduating with first class year in year out and also as the "best" in their class. In 2014, an igbo guy was the overall best graduating student in the school, I know of two that were the best in their departments in engineering in the same year. Last year an Edo guy was the overall best these feats were very uncommon ten years ago. In fact, if not for federal catchment policy fed universities adopt a university like Unilag might have equal numbers of sw and se students in a class. So it is still better to have fair representation in all formal and informal sectors which I think the south easterners are doing quite well. Gone are the days when you would hear statements like " anambra people na only business then sabi" because if you name the sector you think you dominate you would find out that the so-called "business guys "are giving you a good run for your money. In all, I think true federalism or regionalism would be best for Nigeria. Let all regions develop at their own pace

256 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by kodded(m): 3:10am On Feb 09, 2016
TamunoRichard:

hmmmmm
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by ellguapo: 6:12am On Feb 09, 2016
This is still an attack on the north. Nigeria is not quasi anything, this entity is just an effing anchor. Needs to be cut loose angry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by CCsurplus007(m): 8:34am On Feb 09, 2016
ellguapo:
This is still an attack on the north. Nigeria is not quasi anything, this entity is just an effing anchor. Needs to be cut loose angry

They have the population and the power, they benefit more from the entity. Ironically the millions that are out of schools sees the elites as gods. They are happy witth the system so its going to be a long wait before the north catches up. Unless northern elites face reality education would remain the same there. The more educated her populace are, the more they ask questions and demand their right. the mafia dont want that so the status quo remains the same

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by donbrowser(m): 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
Education in Nigeria is in a sorry state. But it baffles me that despite the high shoulders of Ekiti state, they cant even make the list of top 10.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by TreasureTayo(m): 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
Seriously i didn't read this post... grin grin grin.

Anyways.. The just and plebs should be given the full and equal rights to education. It compulsory irrespective of the geopolitical zones he or she comes from.
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by looseweight: 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
The way things are going in the world right now, education will only be required of you if you want to go for professional course...

3 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by sheunsheun(m): 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
Lmao @ Rivers in top 10, the stat is a scam

4 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
I'm more worried about yoruba. They almost came last. Can you imagine that Boko haram troubled states like Borno and Adamawa are ahead of a yoruba state? I can't believe this.

The Chart as obtained by PUNCH showed the list of all the states and their positions.
See details of chart below:

Abia - 1st
Anambra - 2nd
Edo - 3rd
Rivers - 4th
Imo - 5th
Lagos - 6th (Non yorubas)
Bayelsa - 7th
Delta - 8th
Enugu -9th
Ebonyi - 10th
Ekiti - 11th
Kaduna - 12th
Ondo - 13th
Abuja - 14th
Kogi - 15th
Benue - 16th
Akwa Ibom - 17th
Kwara - 18th
Ogun - 19th
Cross River - 20th
Taraba - 21st
Plateau - 22nd
Nassarawa -23rd
Kano - 24th
Borno - 25th
Oyo - 26th
Niger - 27th
Adamawa -28th
Osun -29th
Sokoto - 30th
Bauchi - 31st
Kebbi - 32nd
Katsina - 33rd)
Gombe - 34th
Jigawa - 35th
Zamfara - 36th
Yobe - LAST.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by carinmom(f): 9:00am On Feb 09, 2016
There is nothing surprising here. Who doesn't know the amount of magu magu that goes on in that particular region undecided
Anyway my state don try small.

7 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by infotechdesigns: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
hmm
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by harmless011: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
The ministry of education should do something fast about this
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by ladyF(f): 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
Eeyah...my state no dey top 10. We be the real olodo grin

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
Yes
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by flokii: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
No need to be worried until d SE start developing their own lands.. and stop roaming about

what's d benefit of profs. bookworms when you have nothing to show for it... only eroded lands etc.

SW is still da bomb puleasee

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2016
I join to celebrate the 'south east ' though I don't see a basis for trumping up perceived regional success, sectoral breakdown of results is to guide the government and relevant authorities on where and how to channel resources in making Nigeria fully educated in sync with the MDGs. So these analysis shouldn't be taken in isolation, it shouldn't be seen as a region's victory over another, we are one Nigeria.
Again looking critically at these results and it's trend, it's obvious that it's not a case of the SW loosing steam or slowing down, rather it's a case of the East rapidly opening up and embracing formal and secondary level education, the obvious impact of government attention based on previous statistics) as the East is on the upward slope of educational growth. In 20 years time, the East would get to the plateau which the SW has reached and it could be the turn of the NW or NC to be on the upward slope. Nigeria go better!

10 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:02am On Feb 09, 2016
Hahaha grin ... I was arguing with my room mate on the mythical hogwash - Yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria . It is sine qua non to admit that this and more young generations of Igbos are/hold the future of Nigeria

Ndi Igbo n'ani ihe oma diri anyi

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by shaboti: 9:02am On Feb 09, 2016
Pls leave them, lol. They should continue to delude themselves especially the SW. The worst part is that they'll continue shouting special centre till they find themselves at the very bottom of the table.

Im still shocked that osun state was 29th.. 29th!! Meaning a lot of northern states are now ahead of them. I wonder what they'll say now.. That those northern states have upped their special centre game? grin

I beg you stop alerting them or anything because they will still come here and blame it on 'IPOD youths' lolzzz.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Nobody: 9:02am On Feb 09, 2016
pls I wanna sell this land, our economy is officially in recession and I heard there would be foreclosure.

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Mutuwa(m): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2016
wink
any ways..

This message is for every girl, boy, woman or man. If you find any child crying on the road showing his/her address on a piece of paper and asking you to take him/her to that address,please if u're so sympathetic, take that child to the Police Station and don't take him/her to that address. It is a new way of gang Stealing, Raping & Kidnapping. Please, forward to all your loved ones.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by TippyTop(m): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2016
Am disappointed Edo came 4th, last year we were 3rd, lets hope next year we're first as Gov Ize-Iyamu propels us forward.

4 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by demarc001: 9:03am On Feb 09, 2016
What if they refuse to worry?

1 Like

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by SylarsMcQuins: 9:03am On Feb 09, 2016
Some pple won't like this.. I.E the Zombie Nation

4 Likes

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by Lilimax(f): 9:03am On Feb 09, 2016
One major reason of dwindling education system in the South West could be the issue of free Education.
It appears their teachers are not giving their best to the students undecided
Again, nothing good comes free even in Freetown smiley

I've made up my mind that my kids will continue their secondary education in the South East embarassed

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by wristbangle: 9:04am On Feb 09, 2016
Speaking as a yoruba indigene, it beats my imagination to have seen the downward trend of our educational system . To be candid the poor state of schools, delayed payment of teachers (poor management from government) and unmotivated attitude from the students is killing our education.

Let's call a spade, spade. The SS and SE regions have tremendously improved in their educational sector in terms of teaching skills, good government support, willingness of students to study hence the reason why they are booming.

I feel the south west region need to retrace their step back to what made them the best or perhaps learn from SS/SE region because what the OP said may start happening in the nearest future is care is not taking.

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by infotechdesigns: 9:04am On Feb 09, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Hmmm

Is this forex trading? shocked whats with all the numbers

I cant read it I cant...did you read?
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by centyboy: 9:04am On Feb 09, 2016
i will comment later,let me first park my range here cheesy
Re: Education: Why South-west And North Should Be Worried by funmilade4real(m): 9:05am On Feb 09, 2016
So ro niyen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

56-Year-Old Ghana Woman Celebrates Her Graduation From Junior Secondary School / A Student Shot During Protest In FUNAAB Today (Photos) / Huawei's New Campus In China Looks Like A Big European City (photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.