Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (84728 Views)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ejemehn(m): 7:11am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

You got it mixed up pardner.

Bini is a migrant group to Edoland. Binis are the State Rulers that emigrated from Ile Ife and ruled over Edoland.

The pre State, under rulership of Ogiso ended its dynastic power when the Ile Ife State Rulers arrived and established a new dynasty, cults and Statehood.

There is nothing in traditional Edo custom called Olokun. This was Yoruba cult, so was Ifa and Obatala, which the migrant rulers established and which you practice till today.

Yoruba did to Edo what Fulani did to Hausa, except our language persisted as the court vernacular until very recently....in fact right around the Independence of Nigeria...whereas Fulani adopted the language of the conquered.

Separate Bini from Edo sharp sharp! Edo is not Yoruba but Bini is part and parcel Yoruba and nothing you can do to erase it.

Stop that. Who told you that Benin is a migrant groupto edo land? Where did you get that from? Ogiso dynasty rule ended as a result of power tussle between a crown prince of the ogiso dynasty and his young uncle leading to war. That war caused the ogiso dynasty the throne. Oranmiyan came to rule but could not and went back to oyo before going back to ife. Can you please tell me how this whole power shift turned the edos into yorubas? I agree ooni is ranked number 1 but in yoruba land, and among the yoruba monarchs. Benin should not be included as part of that.

22 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:18am On Feb 09, 2016
sparkleRed:

Read groundwork of Nigeria History, would ve elaborated more, buh mehn I no get tym 4 dat one now

The groundwork of who Compared to Yoruba civilization when did Nigeria come into existence thatvwe nowbhave to go to Nigeria to find history on Yoruba.

What nonsense!! angry

If you want authentic.Yoruba traditions and history you go to Yoruba, not some summaries hurriedly put together to.glue Nigeria into a non working unity.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ejemehn(m): 7:23am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Separate Bini from Edo sharp sharp! Edo is not Yoruba but Bini is part and parcel Yoruba and nothing you can do to erase it.

Stop that partner.
You're the one Getting it all mixed up.
What was the capital of the then Benin Empire called? It was called Edo. You can't separate Benin from Edo........... Point of emphasis, Benin is not part and parcel of Yoruba land

11 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:28am On Feb 09, 2016
Ejemehn:

Stop that. Who told you that Benin is a migrant groupto edo land? Where did you get that from? Ogiso dynasty rule ended as a result of power tussle between a crown prince of the ogiso dynasty and his young uncle leading to war. That war caused the ogiso dynasty the throne. Oranmiyan came to rule but could not and went back to oyo before going back to ife. Can you please tell me how this whole power shift turned the edos into yorubas? I agree ooni is ranked number 1 but in yoruba land, and among the yoruba monarchs. Benin should not be included as part of that.

I already told you Edo is not Yoruba, Bini is.

Where and how did you get Olokun, Obatala, and other deities of the Yoruba pantheon?

How did Ogiso come about Olokun?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ejemehn(m): 7:39am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

I already told you Edo is not Yoruba, Bini is.

Where and how did you get Olokun, Obatala, and other deities of the Yoruba pantheon?

How did Ogiso come about Olokun?

See, I have had a good time this morning sharing ideas with you. But I think you should read a little more. I can't take responsibility for your persistent incorrigibility on the part (Edos are not Yoruba, and BENINS TOO ARE NOT YORUBAa). SIMPLE!!!

13 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by absoluteSuccess: 7:41am On Feb 09, 2016
You shall know the truth is missing.

cheesy

And the kings are not historians.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by frisky2good(m): 7:45am On Feb 09, 2016
Omo n'oba sounds like a corruption of omo oba (king's child). Are they saying omo (child) is also a Bini word? Every Yoruba king is an Oba but they also have their titles.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by triplewisdom: 7:45am On Feb 09, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sybarite7(m): 7:46am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?
YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG, OMO N' OBA MEANS THE CHILD THAT IS OBA(KING)

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Sijo01(f): 7:48am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

The omo'N oba you're talking about is the name adopted by the present oba (Erediauwa) and not a title. Every obas adopts other names once crowned.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by habsydiamond(m): 7:49am On Feb 09, 2016
Make una go chop Eba jare wetin una dey proof. Are u scientists

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by absoluteSuccess: 7:49am On Feb 09, 2016
sybarite7:
YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG, OMO N' OBA MEANS THE CHILD THAT IS OBA(KING)

omolade,

omoloba,

omonoba.

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Sijo01(f): 7:49am On Feb 09, 2016
frisky2good:
Omo n'oba sounds like a corruption of omo oba (king's child). Are they saying omo (child) is also a Bini word? Every Yoruba king is an Oba but they also have their titles.

Yes, omo means child in Bini

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by chicent2k3(m): 7:51am On Feb 09, 2016
End time kings.....jazz tons!!

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by tomholly: 7:52am On Feb 09, 2016
we want the evidence in Blue and black print .
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by LastSurvivor: 7:52am On Feb 09, 2016
orisa37:
Apart from Politics this Topic is a Religion. "Iwa" and "Odu" are Yoruba words meaning "Character" and "Bonds"respectively. "Olodumare" and "Oduduwa", meaning " I am That I am" and "My Incarnate" also respectively are Yoruba words for "Lord" and "God"(Lord God). Let's all agree on these words first and their sources before we pursue the relevance of the Benin Kingdom. These are Yoruba words with sound meanings in Yoruba Dictionary before the Igbos started chipping in. Also remember that "Odu" and "Iwa" mean "Heaven and Earth". "Ooni" is occupying the Seat of "Oduduwa" in the same way as Pope Francis is occupying the Seats of Pope St. Peter in Rome.

It seems ur obsessed with Igbos..
Hw did Igbos get to this discussion please?
Abi u don hear oba of onitsha before

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:53am On Feb 09, 2016
Benin should tell us how come the heads of dead oba are buried in Ife, orun oba Ado.

9 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by xreal: 7:53am On Feb 09, 2016
Whatever!
I respect them all.

everyone na king for him teritory; even Oba of Nairaland a.k.a Seun Osewa.

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Atlantian: 7:53am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

I have studied both cultures when there was a controversy about Lagos being a "No man's land", in actuality, I realised from historical records that in 1630s, the Benin people used to travel from Benin to Togo via Badagry. It was the Benin People that gave the name Eko, which means "Camp" in Bini language. The Benin people usually settled here in Lagos. It was on one of those trips that they met Ile-Ife fishermen on the coast of Eko and they fought and defeated the Ile-Ife fishermen and few Benin people settled in Eko and few scattered population of Ile-Ife people always settled for fishing.

When the Portugese came for exploration, the named Eko, which in Bini means camp, they name it Lagos, which means "Lake" in Portugese.

I think the Benin people have a very detailed history and this Oba issue will bring to light that Benin Monarchy is totally the precursor of the Eko, and what ever the disclosure will be, both tribes will take it in good faith. No tribe is superior, its just language that is different.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by omofunaab(m): 7:54am On Feb 09, 2016
This man is entirely wrong.... Oba is just a general name for kings in yoruba land... Most kings have their own title.. eg alake of egba land, alaafin of oyo, awujale of ijebu land.. .

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by clefstone(m): 7:54am On Feb 09, 2016
I stand with the Bini interpretation cause those people know their history and have preserved it. The Oba stil lives in a medieval palace unlike yoruba obas that their palaces look like my palour
I frequently saw the last ooni attending the Esama of Bini, Chief Igbinedion's birthday parties, and eating party jolof rice. CLASSLESS to say the least.
NB: the Esama pays homage to the Oba of Bini

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by WIZGUY69(m): 7:54am On Feb 09, 2016
grin. Amazing! that's what a Bini lady told me yesterday, that yorubas were extracted from the edos.

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Omeny: 7:56am On Feb 09, 2016
I always know Yorubas are related to Us! But their Bleep up sometimes make me despise them!

One Love Anyway!

As for the Obas, Na them sabi.

Am off for my hussly!

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Atlantian: 7:56am On Feb 09, 2016
WIZGUY69:
grin. Amazing! that's what a Bini lady told me yesterday, that yorubas were extracted from the edos.

Its true.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sybarite7(m): 7:56am On Feb 09, 2016
MY NAME IS OSABUOHIEN IDUROBO,AM A BENI BY TRIBE, EDO STATE BORN,AM NO DESCENDANT OF YORUBA'S AND I WONT BEG TO BE ONE,I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO BENIN EMPIRE ,PROMISE TO PROMOTE THE GROWTH OF OUR CULTURE AND GREAT HERITAGE...I stand with what the esogban of Benin kingdom has said...proud to be from Edo,proud to be a Benin,OBA GHA TOR KPERE, ISEE ,LONG LIVE OMO N'OBA NEE EDO ,UKU AKPOLOKPOLO, OBA EREDIAWA

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by steeltu(m): 7:56am On Feb 09, 2016
This will trend for a while.. I smell trouble.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by HermajestyQ(f): 7:57am On Feb 09, 2016
orisa37:
Apart from Politics this Topic is a Religion. "Iwa" and "Odu" are Yoruba words meaning "Character" and "Bonds"respectively. "Olodumare" and "Oduduwa", meaning " I am That I am" and "My Incarnate" also respectively are Yoruba words for "Lord" and "God"(Lord God). Let's all agree on these words first and their sources before we pursue the relevance of the Benin Kingdom. These are Yoruba words with sound meanings in Yoruba Dictionary before the Igbos started chipping in. Also remember that "Odu" and "Iwa" mean "Heaven and Earth". "Ooni" is occupying the Seat of "Oduduwa" in the same way as Pope Francis is occupying the Seats of Pope St. Peter in Rome.
if wah u say is true, Y is it that oduduwa is more reverenced in Edo traditions than Yoruba's. You will hear Edo names like Osakeoduwa, Okoduwa...etc but not d same with Yoruba names. I think d Edo chief is right.

6 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:58am On Feb 09, 2016
Ejemehn:

See, I have had a good time this morning sharing ideas with you. But I think you should read a little more. I can't take responsibility for your persistent incorrigibility on the part (Edos are not Yoruba, and BENINS TOO ARE NOT YORUBAa). SIMPLE!!!

For lack of knowledge about your culture you are dodging behind overplayed rhetorics.

How did Ogiso become a worshiper of Olokun?

5 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Chikpat(m): 7:59am On Feb 09, 2016
D chief z rada certain of what he is saying and went foda to name the Benin Prince dat wandered to Ife. D Ife kingdom should agree or disagree with the claim that Owodo was an Ife king, and then they shud agree or odawise on Owodo's origin. I bet you, dis chief can defend dis anywhere, anytym, anyday. D man sabi

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Jesusloveyou: 8:00am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

why are u embarassing urself or u don't know what say, u decide to embarrass urself
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by NPComplete: 8:00am On Feb 09, 2016
chowlade:

Ipod youth on rampage why r u so pained grin?
D binis should go nd join ur zooafrans though lol Yorubas dont care.

Go and read d cheap story of yoruba and d binis formed by d Edo miscreants sud knw is totally false.

1.Oba is a yoruba world directly translated to "To reign over"
2.Binis is a yoruba word
3 . Edos bears yoruba names that they dont even know d translation
4 . Oduduwa, Iranmiyan, Eweka are yoruba names
5. D binis practices d yorubalands traditional religions

Stop that nonsense. Allow other people educate us with their logical arguments. Leave Igbos out of this. Don't make this about them before this thread turns to another tribal war. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Juxtified(m): 8:01am On Feb 09, 2016
The Yorubas, as educated as they are, hardly know their history. Maybe its because they're taught in yoruba language in their schools, and translation may be their problem.
They pick quarrels here & there unnecessarily, dodging facts and basing their arguments on sentiments and numerical strength instead of intellectual strength. First it was the Igbos, that war they have not won, now they're ignorantly veering towards the peaceful Edo Nation.

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Himba, Namibia Offers Sex To Guests / Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / Three Generations Of Ooni Of Ife And Their Rolls-royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.