Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (84702 Views)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Ooni Of Ife Is Sad Over Political Tension / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by iHustle(m): 8:18am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

The first ruler of Edo was Obagodo (Oba Igodo). Benin Kingdom was formerly known as Igodomigodo. Obagodo reigned in the Ogiso era. All other Ogisos and Obas of Benin were his descendants.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by HomeOfMe(f): 8:19am On Feb 09, 2016
AnnaKareninaFan:
Following the statement credited to the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Adedotun Gbadebo that the Oba of Benin is the third in the ranking of kings in the South-West region, the Palace of the Oba of Benin has dismissed this as untrue. The Esogban of Benin and Odionwere of the Kingdom (traditional head), Chief David Edebiri, yesterday, made this disclosure, adding that the Ooni of Ife was a son of the Oba of Benin, and the stool of the Oba of Benin could not be compared with that of any Yoruba King.

Esogban,who is third in command in the palace of the Oba of Benin, said: “We wanted to discard this report as something that was not necessary at all. We do not see how the Alake of Egbaland suddenly woke up to think that the Oba of Benin is also a Yoruba Oba. There is no basis for such classification; Oba of Benin has nothing to do with the Yoruba Obas. It is simply unnecessary, unless they simply want to stir up an unnecessary controversy.

“We are not in Yorubaland. To be frank, it is because many of them are not willing to come up with the truth, the word Oba is alien to Yoruba monarchy; it is not part of their title from time immemorial. For instance, the one they call the Oba of Lagos, these are recent adaptations. In the 50s, there was no Oba of Lagos, what we had was the Eleko of Eko. That is the title of the King there. In Ibadan, you have the Olu Ibadan. You come to Abeokuta, you have the Alake of Egbaland. You come to Oyo, you have the Alaafin of Oyo. In Ilesha, you have the Owa-Obokun of IIesha. So no Yoruba monarch had as part of his titles the word Oba except the Oba of Benin.

“That word Oba is indigenous to Benin. It is only in recent times you find everybody bearing Oba. When the Western Regional conference of traditional rulers took place in Benin City in 1942, go and check the attendance, there was no other monarch in the whole of the Western Region then that bore the title of Oba, except the Oba of Benin. So it is an unnecessary excursion, an unnecessary attempt to turn history upside down by the Alake by classifying the Oba of Benin as third in the hierarchy of kings. Our own traditional history says that the Ooni of Ife was a Benin Prince who wandered from here to Ife, settled there and became the ruler there. That is the position, if they don’t know, they should send people here; we will teach them.

“We will show them landmarks. So this is unnecessary misrepresentation of history. Maybe the Alake wanted to mention a different place and not Benin. The monarchical rulership in this part of the world started from Benin during the era of the Ogisos. It was the son of the last Ogiso, Owodo, that wandered from here to Ife and he became a ruler there, carrying everything about the Benin monarchical system to that place. There is no basis for such classification. The Ooni of Ife by historical facts, is a son of the Oba of Benin, so they are not in the same class. The Oba of Benin is the only one that answers Oba, the rest don’t. But today, we hear Oba here and there, they are all recent adaptations. I am saying categorically that the word Oba is indigenous to Benin and not to Yoruba nation.”

http://dawntodusknews.com/ooni-of-ife-is-oba-of-benins-son-bini-palace-reply-alake-of-egbaland/
I can now see one of the reasons they've decided to scrap history in schools. My generation took history as a subject,they don't want this generation to know about the history of Nigeria. All what is in this article,I learned it in my history.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 8:19am On Feb 09, 2016
Ouch!
The final nail in the coffin.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by DeRay98(m): 8:19am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

You got it mixed up pardner.

Bini is a migrant group to Edoland. Binis are the State Rulers that emigrated from Ile Ife and ruled over Edoland.

The pre State, under rulership of Ogiso ended its dynastic power when the Ile Ife State Rulers arrived and established a new dynasty, cults and Statehood.

There is nothing in traditional Edo custom called Olokun. This was Yoruba cult, so was Ifa and Obatala, which the migrant rulers established and which you practice till today.

Yoruba did to Edo what Fulani did to Hausa, except our language persisted as the court vernacular until very recently....in fact right around the Independence of Nigeria...whereas Fulani adopted the language of the conquered.

Separate Bini from Edo sharp sharp! Edo is not Yoruba but Bini is part and parcel Yoruba and nothing you can do to erase it.

Yorubas and all their lies, always seeking attention, with contorted history that can not stand reasonable logic.
This history of Binis has always been consistent and thorough even with what the early European explorers wrote. The yorubas have always been wanting to own what is bigger than them. Since their early professors wrote historical lies that are all different from obtains in reality.
YORUBAS SHOULD STOP LYING TO THE WORLD AND TRYING TO OWN A LAND THEY NEVER CONQUERED IN HISTORY. THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TRYING TO OWN BINI KINGDOM AND TELL THEIR COCK AND BULL STORIES OF HOW THE KINGDOM WAS PART OF THEIRS YET NO HISTORY TO SHOW WHEN THEY FOUGHT AND WON A WAR WITH THE BINI KINGDOM, WHICH WAS HOW KINGDOMS WERE CONQUERED AND RULED IN ANCIENT TIMES.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Cation(m): 8:20am On Feb 09, 2016
orisa37:
Apart from Politics this Topic is a Religion. "Iwa" and "Odu" are Yoruba words meaning "Character" and "Bonds"respectively. "Olodumare" and "Oduduwa", meaning " I am That I am" and "My Incarnate" also respectively are Yoruba words for "Lord" and "God"(Lord God). Let's all agree on these words first and their sources before we pursue the relevance of the Benin Kingdom. These are Yoruba words with sound meanings in Yoruba Dictionary before the Igbos started chipping in. Also remember that "Odu" and "Iwa" mean "Heaven and Earth". "Ooni" is occupying the Seat of "Oduduwa" in the same way as Pope Francis is occupying the Seats of Pope St. Peter in Rome.
ooni that doesnt have the original crown,isit not white cap he wears.in the whole of osun state owa obokun adimula is the only son of okanbi because he was the last son.he went to lagos to get water from the beach to heal their father when he was blind.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by PurpleHouse(m): 8:21am On Feb 09, 2016
so many ignoramus here, this is why you shouldn't just go to school to look for x raise to power 2, go and learn your history and you'll realize that the Binis are not Yoruba's mate.

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:22am On Feb 09, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

It takes you to rout metaphysical from the enchanted land.

if you put am macof na you sabi.

good morning brother.

eleyi gisky gan o.

Good morning oo! Na so we see am.

May Omo n'Oba live long and his time be a blessing to us, but me I dey wait when Bini want coronate a successor. I want to see where they will collect Ase for the throne.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ike77503(m): 8:22am On Feb 09, 2016
It's On.............see as TIGER go wake LION up from sleep.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by okuneddie(m): 8:23am On Feb 09, 2016
One thing is certain.....Yoruba has mor historians than Benin...Yoruba has a good history that is passed from generation to generation....the man fall his own hand when he said Yorubas should cone to Benin to learn or know the story.....we produce more historians than they will ever produce.....every body know the fact....stop running away from it....in fact I don't even want to be associated with the tribe well known with prostitution, witchcraft and others.....u said u are not Yoruba right? stop bearing our names and even stop using the Oba title cos as far as everyone is concerned its YORUBA!!!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by sirthisthickkal: 8:23am On Feb 09, 2016
bayulll01:
AlAll these tantrum lol that Benin spokemen is in ut for a long time,am just waiting for an epic and mesmerizing response from ooni and all the Yoruba kings ,wish he survive when all the kings in Yoruba land descend on them
oh! You mean the lies they have been ranting and spreading since time premordial?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Abmalcom(m): 8:24am On Feb 09, 2016
After the first and only Oba (Oranmiyan) an Ife Prince, ruled Bini when the interregnum came to an end following the end of Ogiso dynasty, there has never been any other Oba in Edo. What they have is Omo n'Oba n'Edo (the son of Oba that rule Edo). The word Oba is yoruboid. E.g. Obaluaiye, Obalufon, Obalufe, etc.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:25am On Feb 09, 2016
PurpleHouse:
so many ignoramus here, this is why you shouldn't just go to school to look for x raise to power 2, go and learn your history and you'll realize that the Binis are not Yoruba's mate.

Post modified...people say make i no talk too much...at least not yet....save some weapons for escalated battle.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Philistine(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

For lack of knowledge about your culture you are dodging behind overplayed rhetorics.

How did Ogiso become a worshiper of Olokun?
kindly stop the unnecessary argument and leave d guy one. Yorubas don't do attache by force, it is not in our character. We are too big for all that, pls do not embarass us on this thread.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by PurpleHouse(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2016
thinking that the Binis that fought wars all over Nigeria, defeated states and went even further outside the shores of this Country to conquer Nations, is a Yoruba linage? That's an aberration!

14 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by tjadeniyi(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2016
I don't believe it is Esogban that made this statement. Because it in Benin that 'Oba' is alien as title. Their leader's title before Oranmiyan was 'Ogiso'. The first person to be titled Oba was Oranmiyan.
I am here to talk story and narrate history.
I believe this post is from somebody that has no better record about Benin and Yoruba.....
To know more ask Iyogbe and Benin Palace people.
Peace peace peace.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by DEGOV: 8:28am On Feb 09, 2016
In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan died at Ogheton. Oranmiyan took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife,

4 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by iHustle(m): 8:28am On Feb 09, 2016
Onijagidijagan:
The word Oba is yoruba word why are these benin people lying this way. ..The first Oba was Oduduwa d last born of Lamurudu frm Ife

Binis are here to steal our culture like d IPODs...Iol

I laugh in Benin.

What does Oduduwa mean in Yoruba language? NOTHING. Oduduwa is the Yoruba corruption of Imadoduwa. The crown prince Ekhaladerhan, son of Ogiso Owodo, was maliciously banished from Benin. Upon arriving Ife, he became the king of Ife and renamed himself Imadoduwa, meaning "I did not miss the path to glory".

Benin history has visible proofs, unlike the many fables from Yoruba land. Sorry, but it's the truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 09, 2016
[quote author=OPCNAIRALAND post=42750611]

It is indisputable that Oba is a titular position and belongs to Yoruba culture, not Benin.

So why is King of Benin a titular Omo n'Oba (the descendant of Oba), can the Benin palace give us clarity on this?

He needs to study Yoruba language to understand phrases like - oba tótó, oba lori aye, oba Lori oun gbogbo, obatala, etc. He forgets that Yoruba language was language of Benin palace until recently. He forgets that all umole worship in Bini have their source in Ife & even in Ilaje, Itsrkiri, He forgets that Bini learn all their arts works- bronz, brass from Ife, He forgets that great Oyo Empire never attacked Bini because a SON of Oranmiyan reigned in that land.
I understand the fear of rulers in Bini; The Oba is the Son of their princess and the prince of Ife, the dynasty has been established, so no shaking. You are not Yoruba, just as Itsekiri or several groups in the West. Oyo was Yoruba but all of us now adopted that name in the west, we are no longer 'Olukumi' 'Anago, the Atlantis tribe or Phoenicians or, Kush'.

5 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by nellyelitz(m): 8:29am On Feb 09, 2016
This cowards again trying to steal names. By the time Buhari finishes with them, they'll also scramble to adopt Emir as a title.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by PurpleHouse(m): 8:29am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

licmodified abeh!

please, pardon, bros nor let me face you, this is my field, trust me I will take you to the cleaners!
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:29am On Feb 09, 2016
Abmalcom:
After the first and only Oba (Oranmiyan) an Ife Prince, ruled Bini when the interregnum came to an end following the end of Ogiso dynasty, there has never been any other Oba in Edo. What they have is Omo n'Oba n'Edo (the son of Oba that rule Edo). The word Oba is yoruboid. E.g. Obaluaiye, Obalufon, Obalufe, etc.

Oduduwa a gbe e! O kare!!

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by laprince(m): 8:29am On Feb 09, 2016
Tunami:
they should go to hell, we don't even need them in yoruba land, even people that are in faraway Cuba, Venezuela, Brasil etc. Are even happy to be called yorubas talkless them. Abegi. Iranu abasha, shiooor.

What is this one saying?
After straining your relationship with the Ibos here on NairaLand, you've also started another one with Benin.

why all the insult?
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by martineinstein(m): 8:29am On Feb 09, 2016
If it was in those days, who is ooni to dare oba of Benin... Most monarchs in south south and kogi, oba of Lagos and obi of Onitsha are under oba of Benin

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by absoluteSuccess: 8:30am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Good morning oo! Na so we see am.

May Omo n'Oba live long and his time be a blessing to us, but me I dey wait when Bini want coronate a successor. I want to see where they will collect Ase for the throne.

Aifagba fenikan nio jaye o gun o.

I salute your power to hold the fort for the Yoruba.

May the good of the land flourish for you and your household.

3 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by HomeOfMe(f): 8:31am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Bini is a migrant group to Edoland. Binis are the State Rulers that emigrated from Ile Ife and ruled over Edoland.

The pre State, under rulership of Ogiso ended its dynastic power when the Ile Ife State Rulers arrived and established a new dynasty, cults and Statehood.

There is nothing in traditional Edo custom called Olokun. This was Yoruba cult, so was Ifa and Obatala, which the migrant rulers established and which you practice till today.

Yoruba did to Edo what Fulani did to Hausa, except our language persisted as the court vernacular until very recently....in fact right around the Independence of Nigeria...whereas Fulani adopted the language of the conquered.

Separate Bini from Edo sharp sharp! Edo is not Yoruba but Bini is part and parcel Yoruba and nothing you can do to erase it.
My brother is married to a bini girl,her name is shade,her other siblings have yoruba names,but none of them can speak yoruba-even we that are not yorubas by origin speak the language;its quite strange.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2016
PurpleHouse:

please, pardon, bros nor let me face you, this is my field, trust me I will take you to the cleaners!

You already gave yourself out as a fake.

A boxer doesnt come to ring and announce he is a boxer. The ring is only for boxers....you had to be one to step in it.

So if you had to announce what you are....then you are misfit!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
The full title of Benin King is Omo n'Oba n'Edo.

Translation : The begotten of the Oba that ruled Edo.

Which Oba ruled Edo beside Oranmiyan? The begotten of Oranmiyan was Eweka, who was the first to hold the title Omo n'Oba.

That man needs history lectures; Ogisos rule Bini before the reign of Oranmiyan's son, Oba Eweka.
Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by DEGOV: 8:33am On Feb 09, 2016
That was from history book..affiliated to wikipedia.com,, by virtue of this, oni of Ife is the father oba of Benin and oba of Benin is the elder brother of Alafin of oyo

2 Likes

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by Ravenna: 8:34am On Feb 09, 2016
I'm happy this came from their palace (clarifying benin aint yoruba land) cos i always tell my edo friends that they don't belong here (SW)
Meanwhile, it's either the monarch has a short memory or the whole pple are plain stvpid.
The last time i checked Yoruba nation is more than 50 millions in population, how many be benin sef?!
we don't need a vagabond minority to tell us the great Ooni wandered from benin to Ife, thats bull s.hit.
I can't wait for Oodua land to have her country.
Benin can join yeeboe or SS, better still they can join a.boki or go and die.
#YorubaRonu.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by laprince(m): 8:34am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

We should ask them self, since they claim Oba is a recent adaptation by Yoruba to then tell us how we came about the name prefix.

Obafemi
Obayemi
Obadare
Obaseki

its means, after the adoption. You started using it. Besides, Obaseki is Benin

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by iHustle(m): 8:34am On Feb 09, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Ignorance may be excusable, but displaying and celebrating your ignorance with pomp and pageantry is very shameful. Bow your head in shame and ask for God's forgiveness.

1 Like

Re: "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake by PurpleHouse(m): 8:35am On Feb 09, 2016
kids don too full here...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Himba, Namibia Offers Sex To Guests / Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / Three Generations Of Ooni Of Ife And Their Rolls-royces (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.