Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers (13519 Views)

Senate Throws Out Bill To End Gender Discrimination / Enugu Lawmakers Reject Bill To End Gender Discrimination, Say Its Unafrican / Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican-male Lawmakers Of Enugu State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by TruthHurts1(m): 12:13am On Feb 10, 2016
A bill seeking to establish equality between men and women in Enugu State was on Tuesday rejected by members of the state house of assembly.

The proposed law, known as ‘Equal Rights and Opportunities for Men and Women and Other Matters Related Thereto Bill’, was sponsored by a female member of the House, Hon. Dame Nkechi Omeje-Ogbu, representing Nsukka West Constituency.

Omeje-Ogbu is also the chairman of the House Committee on Gender Affairs.
The bill had scaled first reading before suffering a setback during a debate on Tuesday, with most of the male members kicking out viciously against it.

It was described as ‘anti-cultural’ and ‘un-African’.

The bill would have been rejected outright, had the Speaker, Hon. Edward Ubosi, not intervened by suggesting that it should be stepped down for reconsideration on a future, unspecified date.

Before then, the sponsor, Omeje-Ogbu, had explained that the ‘Enugu State Equal Opportunities Bill’, if passed into law, would protect all persons from discrimination on the basis of gender, in private and public places.

According to her, the bill provided “protection for women’s bodies, integrity, dignity and would affirm their right to equal opportunities to realise their full potentials”.

She added that the bill was also seeking positions and appointments for the women of Enugu State, noting that marriage, divorce and widowhood should not deny them (women) their rights.

However, many male lawmakers spoke out against the bill.

The member representing Awgu North Constituency, Hon. Sunny Ude-Okoye, said that he would not be a party to the bill ‘because here is Africa and not America’.

Ude-Okoye suggested that if anybody wishes to embrace practices as suggested in the bill, such a person should relocate to America.
“I have risen to declare my stand, I have risen to take my stand that this is a colossal waste.

Other lawmakers were rising against the bill when the Speaker, Ubosi, suggested that it be stepped down for wider consultation.

Ubosi said the bill would be reconsidered in the future.
Thanking the sponsor, Omeje-Ogbu, for the bill, the Speaker said it would not be proper to kill it ‘prematurely’, even though most of the lawmakers had strong feelings against it.

https://www.today.ng/news/national/77389/enugu-lawmakers-reject-bill-on-gender-equality

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by macIB(m): 1:23am On Feb 10, 2016
bloody educated illiterate law makers. i guess they must be those that condemn their wives to the kitchen or a complete housewives not allowing the woman to reach her full God given potentials.....ANIMALS!

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Okijajuju1(m): 9:54am On Feb 10, 2016
Dear Igbo Women: In Biafra, Men would never allow you women to hold equal rights as them.

Women like Late Dora Akunyili, Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili and co would never reach the level they did in Nigeria under Biafra because Igbo Men are more superior to Igbo women. They would end up in the Kitchen cooking Okpa and Akidi beans for the rest of their lives. grin

#IgboWomenSayNoToBiafra.

grin

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by tolexy007(m): 9:55am On Feb 10, 2016
cheesy
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by donbrowser(m): 9:55am On Feb 10, 2016
Na wa oh!
What equality again? They take up the Jobs meant for us by the use of their two pointed apples and Barcelona.
They insult, harass and maltreat us yet you cant raise a finger on them because they are Women and they even want a bill that will make them equal with us after it is very obvious that they are above us.

Paul says "God forbid!"

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 10, 2016
Africans: We revel in our ignorance and use it to justify our archaic ways.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 10, 2016
My Igbo bradas grin

2 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by INTROVERT(f): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2016
Can you imagine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by chynie: 9:56am On Feb 10, 2016
i no read am

what are they saaying

1 Like

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by yjgm(m): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2016
Really unafrican. God created us man and woman with clear distinctions. We can't be equal.

28 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Bigprozzie: 9:57am On Feb 10, 2016
Igbos

I guess this is also Buharis fault

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Vyolet(f): 9:57am On Feb 10, 2016
If this were to be in the north... undecided lipsrsealed

The Igbos truly need this gender equality law, especially on issue of inheritance.
I can't imagine my father's brother taking over his possessions all cos I'm a girl.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by banmee(m): 9:57am On Feb 10, 2016
Toks2008 is not going to like this.
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
All ds people wey dey bear Dame ehnn. Hin be like say dem no get brain true true ooo.
That man is right. Gender isnt equal. And that is our African culture.
We need to sensitize the female folks. We need a society where every gender knows his/her strata

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by tmtech: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
i dont see anything out of d ordinary in the bill, perhaps d men have a personal beef wif d woman dat sponsored d bill...

relocate to america...lol
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by DICE234(m): 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
Can't stop Laffing
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Impulse80(m): 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
na wa
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by AfroKnight: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
Typical Igbo men. cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by whytet01(m): 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
God punish and destroy those lawmakers who are against it..

4 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by davodyguy: 9:58am On Feb 10, 2016
Ignorance is when you think you know, when in actual fact you know absolutely nothing.

Simple misguided thought and the fear of the unknown.

Africans will always remain the cry babies of western world with pathetic mentality like this one

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Inspectahdeck(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2016
See the type of leaders we voted into power. Tell me how Nigeria will move forward with this type of leaders?

9 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by TippyTop(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2016
The member representing Awgu North Constituency, Hon. Sunny Ude-Okoye, said that he would not be a party to the bill ‘because here is Africa and not America’.

What an idiotic statement, African women are not humans?
Missed opportunity, I say.

8 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by pryd(m): 9:59am On Feb 10, 2016
I hope the female lawmaker is not clamouring for selective equality. (Equality only when it pleases the females) wink

2 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by PresVA: 9:59am On Feb 10, 2016
Bunch of misogynists! Now they know Nigeria isn't America. .yeye..

Dear Ladies, always hold your heads up high..Don't allow anyone treat you less than you deserve. ..

7 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by Skynet247(m): 10:00am On Feb 10, 2016
hmh
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by robosky02(m): 10:00am On Feb 10, 2016
INTROVERT:
Can you imagine

issorite
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by bukatyne(f): 10:00am On Feb 10, 2016
This is a joke right? shocked
Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by clefstone(m): 10:01am On Feb 10, 2016
Women are already controlling most homes. If there should be equal rights, it should be us men that should be fighting for it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by kurupt1: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2016
Seconded.......and I've noticed marriages hardly end in divorces in enugu and their women are well taken care of and are happy.unlike in some other parts of the country where divorces and babymamas are in vogue

11 Likes

Re: Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers by oshiiteoku: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2016
Useless lawmakers,the only thing they know how to do is to leave their miserable wives at home to carry prostitute from otigba junction,thunder scatter their heads one by one

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aregbesola & Folorunso Alakija Rocking Convocation Gown At Osun Convocation(pics / Why Saraki Is Afraid Of Reconvening - APC / Elisha Abbo: Court Admits CCTV Footage, Statements As Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.