Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? (13059 Views)

Paracetamol, A Common But Dangerous Medicine / I'm Still A Virgin But Have Swollen Tummy Like Fibroid- A Friend Seeks Advice / Aso Rock Clinic DOES NOT Have Paracetamol Or Cotton Wool - TheCable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by cocolacec(m): 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
Paracetamol: a friend or a villain?

In general, when people think of paracetamol they think of a “friendly” medication that can be used without any possible problems and it is beyond doubt a very useful medication. As a matter of fact, almost everyone carries some ... just in case. Funnily enough, it is a general belief that it is good for everything and harmless. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Whilst generally safe for using at recommended dosages, even small overdoses can be fatal and people can die as a result of taking even a small dose of paracetamol. Even so, compared to other over-the-counter pain relief medication it may be less toxic when used chronically at recommended doses, but it is significantly more toxic in overdose.

Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen, is a widely used over-the-counter pain reliever (analgesic) and fever reducer (antipyretic). It is a mild analgesic, commonly used for the relief of headaches and other minor aches and pains. But it is also a major ingredient in numerous cold and flu remedies and when combined with stronger analgesics like the opioid ones, it can also be used in the management of more severe pain such as post-surgical pain and in advanced cancer patients for palliative care as well.

Many people use paracetamol for inflammatory pain, although it only has a weak anti-inflammatory activity. People feel it works, as a result of the analgesic effect, but it is not treating the inflammation that is the base of the problem very efficiently. While it has analgesic and antipyretic properties comparable to those of aspirin, the anti-inflammatory activity is limited as it has no direct effect at the site of inflammation, but instead acts in the central nervous system. After oral administration, it is rapidly absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract.

Liver damage
Acute paracetamol overdose can cause potentially fatal liver damage. Things get much worse when combined with alcoholic drinks, and in chronic alcoholics or patients with liver damage.

Paracetamol is metabolised primarily in the liver into toxic and non-toxic products. Some final products are inactive, non-toxic, and eventually excreted by the kidneys. However, there is an intermediate product that is toxic and is considered to be responsible for liver problems, like acute liver failure, a killer clinical condition. It is even more dangerous for some people who have ongoing liver problems and for those born with sensitivity to paracetamol where it can progressively damage the liver function. Small children seem to tolerate the toxicity of high dosages better than older ones and adults. When used in adequate dosage it can be used safely for pregnant and breast-feeding women. World demand for paracetamol was estimated at over 35,000 tonnes per year.

For fever
The efficacy of paracetamol by itself in children with fever has been questioned and showed to be less effective than ibuprofen.

For pain
Paracetamol has analgesic properties comparable to those of aspirin, while its anti-inflammatory effects are weaker. It is better tolerated than aspirin in patients in whom there is excessive stomach acid secretion or prolongation of bleeding time. In some cases, the standard over-the-counter dose of ibuprofen gives greater pain relief than the standard dose of paracetamol.

Adverse effects
In recommended doses and for a limited course of treatment, the adverse side effects of paracetamol are mild to non-existent. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western World. Compared to ibuprofen whose side effects may include diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain, it has fewer adverse gastrointestinal effects. It was not until 1887 that a clinical pharmacologist tried paracetamol on patients. Paracetamol was first marketed in the United States in 1950 and went on sale in the United Kingdom in 1956 under the trade name Panadol. Panadol was originally available only by prescription, for the relief of pain and fever, and was advertised as being “gentle to the stomach”, since other analgesic agents of the time contained aspirin, a known stomach irritant. In terms of quantity, according to the Portuguese National Pharmacy Institute, paracetamol is the most sold medicine, but nothing is perfect and the problem starts when taken in excess. We all know that there are no medicines that are totally innocent and, like in everything else, too much can never be good. It is our own responsibility if paracetamol turns … from a friend into a villain!

Best health wishes, Dr. Maria Alice || features@algarveresident.com Dr Maria Alice is a consultant in General and Family Medicine. General Manager/Medical Director – Luzdoc International Medical Service / Medilagos. Medical Director – Grupo Hospital Particular do Algarve

http://portugalresident.com/paracetamol-a-friend-or-a-villain

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by dominique(f): 8:53am On Feb 11, 2016
There's no drug without side defects. I'd pick paracetamol over ibuprofen anyday

5 Likes

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by lonelydora: 8:59am On Feb 11, 2016
Very Educative. Thank God I don't even like drugs.
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by brunofarad(m): 8:59am On Feb 11, 2016
Interesting
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Nairalandar: 9:00am On Feb 11, 2016
Great but aint a fan of drug.
#TeamAgbo

2 Likes

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Christane: 9:00am On Feb 11, 2016
A friend now ...am nt sure paractemol av al those side effect you listed ...cus many people wud die daily ...cus d drug z sold in almost al shops world wide ...ur analysis didnt sell ..cus i aint buying... since av bin usin d drug av nt had any problem dat d doctor nw tel me dat z becus of paracetamol usage ..instead it help me cure pains n headache ..cum to tink of it where did u get ur fact 4rm are u a doctor??

4 Likes

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 11, 2016
c
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by callJesu: 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
Depending on the way it's used

1 Like

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Nairalandar: 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
dhtml18:
c
Caution

1 Like

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by sheunsheun(m): 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
Yinmu, dat does nt stopp me frm using it wen nxt i feel headache
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by burnexcessfats(f): 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
hmmm
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Lexusgs430: 9:02am On Feb 11, 2016
Villain, if excessively taken or overdosed!!!!

1 Like

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by preciousMI1(f): 9:02am On Feb 11, 2016
ko
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:02am On Feb 11, 2016
Who still takes Paracetamol in 2016 when Ibuprofen and Valium are there.

1 Like

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Kay512: 9:03am On Feb 11, 2016
Too much of everything is bad.
If taken excessively, it'll be just as bad as anything taken in excess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by petkoffDrake(m): 9:03am On Feb 11, 2016
Not my friend .... Infact i had neva Been ill ... So not my friend at all

Op... is it ur friend?
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Lilimax(f): 9:03am On Feb 11, 2016
Virtually all drugs are villain as there is no drug without it's peculiar side effect undecided.
However, self medication should be avoided to prevent adverse drugs interaction and contraindicationsmiley

Naptu2, I sight you smiley

4 Likes

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by bodyloveghetto(m): 9:04am On Feb 11, 2016
Smh... na article be this sha? Btw I hate med
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by eluquenson(m): 9:05am On Feb 11, 2016
Excessive intake of anything is a villain
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Socketbet: 9:06am On Feb 11, 2016
Wahala
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Cokwologu(m): 9:10am On Feb 11, 2016
No wonder while growing up as a kid, whenever I take paracetamol I always throw up..
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 11, 2016
[size=19pt]Bro nor vex.. am new to tramadol like how many pills am I suppose to take.... And with What should I take it wit.

MAN MUST FFUCK TOTO TODAY
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by XploraBen(m): 9:16am On Feb 11, 2016
Just as some has commented here,overdose of it might me deleterious to health.And remember this:all drugs are necessary poison.
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by asha01: 9:21am On Feb 11, 2016
Christane:
A friend now ...am nt sure paractemol av al those side effect you listed ...cus many people wud die daily ...cus d drug z sold in almost al shops world wide ...ur analysis didnt sell ..cus i aint buying... since av bin usin d drug av nt heard any problem dat d doctor nw tel me dat z becus of paracetamol usage ..instead it help me cure pains n headache ..cum to tink of it where did u get ur fact 4rm are u a doctor??

oga read now at the end you will know that it is a doctor who wrote this.
the credential is at the end of the write up
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Healthybiz: 9:22am On Feb 11, 2016
smiley
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Omotayor123(f): 9:27am On Feb 11, 2016
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Omotayor123(f): 9:28am On Feb 11, 2016
dominique:
There's no drug side defects. I'd pick paracetamol over ibuprofen anyday
Same here!
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by ominiriches2016(m): 9:36am On Feb 11, 2016
Para-ra bye bye.
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Christane: 9:41am On Feb 11, 2016
I saw it ..bt i knw it z a lie cus d persn dat wrote it must be a fake doctor or do u blv in z analysis?
Re: Paracetamol: A Friend Or A Villain? by Krystalzkris(f): 9:42am On Feb 11, 2016
hehehehe Daddy must hear this... He made paracetamol a member of our family. Its never scarce

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenya On Red Alert As A Woman With Ebola Symptoms Is Put In Isolation / Lagos Discharges Four More Coronavirus Patients / 5 Natural Remedies For Purging To Avoid Antibiotics Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.