Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law (753 Views)

Tony Elumelu And Barack Obama Pictured In Chicago / NERC Grants Gencos Right To Sell Electricity Directly To Consumers / "Obama Features In Advert For Lagos Restaurant". Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by bodyloveghetto(m): 6:45pm On Feb 10, 2016
US President Barack Obama has signed into law an initiative aimed at bringing electricity to 50 million people in sub-Saharan Africa by 2020.

The Electrify Africa Act of 2015 will give legal backing to Mr Obama's flagship Power Africa scheme, which is trying to improve access to electricity through public-private partnerships.

It took nearly two years to be passed in both houses of the US Congress.

About two-thirds of people in Africa do not have access to reliable power.

Observers say the new legislation is likely to ensure that the scheme continues even after Mr Obama leaves the White House in 2017.

Many Nigerians are forced to rely on generators for their electricity supply

The scheme has set itself the long-term target of doubling electricity access in sub-Saharan Africa.

The legislation would "improve the lives of millions in sub-Saharan Africa by helping to reduce reliance on charcoal and other toxic fuel sources that produce fumes that kill more than HIV/Aids and malaria combined," said House Foreign Affairs committee chairman Ed Royce, a long-time supporter of the initiative.
It would also "promote the development of affordable and reliable energy", he added, in a statement on Monday.

Management consultant firm McKinsey estimates that it will cost $835bn (£575bn) to connect the entire continent's population to electricity by 2030.

Aside from the US government, African governments, development partners, and the private sector are all involved in the Power Africa scheme.

The US government has made financial commitments of $7bn to support the scheme, which it says in turn has drawn a further $43bn in investment pledged from other public and private partners.

via http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35534612

Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by Olamipapa(m): 6:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hmmmm. Electricity for Africa.
Electricity had a personal unresolved issues with Nigeria, because I don't just know why it's taking eternity to fixed it.
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
End time..

Just incase I hit FTC ....

Am always happy whenever I hit FTC cos it shows the level of idleness am soaked it.

#5000 per month nko?? Nothing come out.

Creating employment opportunities?? No way.
APC .......... Scam!!!

PDP ....... Thieves!!!

My cert is there wasting Buh I pray it doesn't expire soonest(Lol)

1. Stupi**dity is when you go on social networks looking for real love when the ladies around you r there wasting..
2. Greediness is when you bet with #100 and Ur expecting #5000000 in return...
3. Stingyness is when you see straight win with 1.09 odd Buh you still went ahead to double chance it.
4. Blindness is when Ur part of d bit***ches that shouted APC ..change and at d end of the day,Ur family are dir dying in abject poverty.
5. Fooli**shness is when yur so sad hearing that Lionel messi won his 5th world best accolade n you come out ranting that he should try another club..

I will be coming bk with d season 2 soonest...

Quote me negatively n receive it hot... Kids shouldn't quote me cos am not a promoter.. I hate patronizing upcoming artiste. So keep off
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by Olamipapa(m): 6:55pm On Feb 10, 2016
alanposh:
End time..

Just incase I hit FTC ....

Am always happy whenever I hit FTC cos it shows the level of idleness am soaked it.

#5000 per month nko?? Nothing come out.

Creating employment opportunities?? No way.
APC .......... Scam!!!

PDP ....... Thieves!!!

My cert is there wasting Buh I pray it doesn't expire soonest(Lol)

1. Stupi**dity is when you go on social networks looking for real love when the ladies around you r there wasting..
2. Greediness is when you bet with #100 and Ur expecting #5000000 in return...
3. Stingyness is when you see straight win with 1.09 odd Buh you still went ahead to double chance it.
4. Blindness is when Ur part of d bit***ches that shouted APC ..change and at d end of the day,Ur family are dir dying in abject poverty.
5. Fooli**shness is when yur so sad hearing that Lionel messi won his 5th world best accolade n you come out ranting that he should try another club..

I will be coming bk with d season 2 soonest...

Quote me negatively n receive it hot... Kids shouldn't quote me cos am not a promoter.. I hate patronizing upcoming artiste. So keep off

alanposh
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 10, 2016
Olamipapa:

alanposh

Widaaaaaa Ur axeland?
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by osesology(m): 7:00pm On Feb 10, 2016
Zhat's vely vely gud.
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by laurenziz6(m): 7:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
As if they give a crap
Re: US President Obama Signs Africa Electricity Plan Into Law by BLWeb: 8:58pm On Feb 10, 2016
If a Republican gets in e.g Trump, won't he repeal the law or is american law that iron clad?

(1) (Reply)

Starting A Business With 100k / With The Naira/dollar Hike, Where Will You Do Your Online Shopping? / How To Start And Run Restaurant Business. How Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.