Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 (56592 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Faraidi(m): 9:04am On Feb 12, 2016
AKYEMITE:
It is a shame that benin people can deny their relationship with yoruba. I am very sure their ancestor will not be happy with this. It is undisputable fact that they have their root in yoruba land. And ooni is father of all
you are so ignorant,google the origin of the Benin and Yoruba kingdom,then you will know.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 9:08am On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
ok. Why is the small Yoruba a major tribe in about 3 countries and Bini not a major tribe in Nigeria?

And leave the brits out of this. They undermined every tribe in Nigeria then including the north's who wanted them to stay
every tribe and language under benin empire before d coming of d white, is to maintain their distict language and culture. ondo and ekiti were already speaking yoruba, agbon, ika and delta igbos speak their language, benin does not like to force their language on any tribe that is why is an empire, not just a kingdom

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 9:20am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

No, he did not.

His father is Lamurudu.

Obatala Obatosa, Orunmila baba Ifa are the divinities that came them from heaven.

Get your facts right and stop distorting history.

I am not distorting history..It's just your people's saying I am re-echoing.

Bro, your people say odudua came from up (sky)...And now, you are telling me Obatala and Orunmila are the ones who came from the sky.

So you believe people came from the sky..haaaaaaaaaa..

Anyway, you are free to believe. But also believe Eko belongs to Bini and your Oba is an offshoot of us.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by shinel(f): 9:20am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:
LOLzzzzzz

I never knew yorubas like binis like this o..

hehehehe..See wailers at the top trying to grab binis to their side...

FYI, my mum is Benin and she does not in any way look like Yoruba...Even in Benin, the Yorubas are like aliens.. The igbos are seen more like family than the yorubas... My cousins, uncles, aunt from my mum's side don't have any atom or trace of yorubish...

The Binis are Binis. Yorubas should mind their lane!

Please shut up and let's learn from the history learned. Must you comment?
Pple are here talking history, you're referring to your mum.
How old is your computer age mum?

Park well!! And let me read useful comments...
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by bayulll01(m): 9:20am On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

You and your dirty ancestors are the bunch of silly humans in dog form.

Nonsense! undecided

how dare you,filthy thing to quote me,quote me again and meet your end
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 9:29am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
every tribe and language under benin empire before d coming of d white, is to maintain their distict language and culture. ondo and ekiti were already speaking yoruba, agbon, ika and delta igbos speak their language, benin does not like to force their language on any tribe that is why is an empire, not just a kingdom

Why do you people like distorting history?

Where were the Ekitis and Ondos paying their tributaries before the war of independence from Alaafin?

If they were under Benin Kingdom, how come.they took part in the Yoruba civil war by teaming up with the Ijeshas?

Please count Ika and the rest as part of your Kingdom but Definitely not Ekitis and Ondos.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 9:35am On Feb 12, 2016
shinel:

Please shut up and let's learn from the history learned. Must you comment? Pple are here talking history, you're referring to your mum. How old is your computer age mum?
how old are you
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 9:36am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

I am not distorting history..It's just your people's saying I am re-echoing.

Bro, your people say odudua came from up (sky)...And now, you are telling me Obatala and Orunmila are the ones who came from the sky.

So you believe people came from the sky..haaaaaaaaaa..

Anyway, you are free to believe. But also believe Eko belongs to Bini and your Oba is an offshoot of us.

Who told you Oduduwa came from heavens? Your ears heard what it wanted to ear.

If you believed that Elijah ascended to him with chariots of fire or Enoch ascended to him without dying, Or Zeus descended from heaven according to the Greeks, then Orunmila and Obatala too can descend from heaven too. No one has a monopoly of th heavens except God Almighty.

That is our believe and so be it. That is what is believed in yorubaland, in Nigeria Benin Republic Brazil Cuba and other carribean countries.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by egbose(m): 9:48am On Feb 12, 2016
where is the face of Oba Akezua in this picture .( Propagandize).
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by egbose(m): 9:54am On Feb 12, 2016
No kingdom or people could conquer the Benin accept the British.
Yorubas park well.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by dckng16(m): 10:12am On Feb 12, 2016
What I see on this thread is a case of a son denying who his actual father is!

Every tom, dick and Harry knows that (Ile ibinu, bini) Benin originated from Yoruba.

There is not thing to argue about, from cultures and traditions alone, one can tell that Yoruba is their father anyday, anytime.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by rexbuton: 10:14am On Feb 12, 2016
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by dumodust(m): 10:15am On Feb 12, 2016
Rayhut:

and who is Oduduwa and where did he came from, he fell from haven right, the Benin version of the history is more realistic, Oduduwa that conquered Yorubas is one of the son of Oba of Benin, Oduduwa cant fall from haven with a rooter and a palm fruits
the discussion has been very interesting so far and from the argument I have learnt a lot. I have noticed something... the benin rulers before oraminyan were called ogisos meaning 'sky gods' and in ife, oduduwa was said to have come from the sky... hmmmm... just food for thought. Imagine oduduwa suddenly appearing in ife with a rooster and palm nuts in a way that cant be explained- either because of benin jazz grin or more probably because the indigenes never wandered east ward
just my 2 cents
Let the arguments continue
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by naijaboiy: 10:16am On Feb 12, 2016
bayulll01:

how dare you,filthy thing to quote me,quote me again and meet your end
You are more filthy than your dog's poo itself.

What is wrong in passing a message without being condescending and insultive about some other people's way of life?

You and your fellow tribalistic bigots will meet your end soon. Be there passing threats online.

Dolt!
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by rexbuton: 10:19am On Feb 12, 2016
shinel:

Please shut up and let's learn from the history learned. Must you comment?
Pple are here talking history, you're referring to your mum.
How old is your computer age mum?

how old are you?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by naijaboiy: 10:21am On Feb 12, 2016
oodua1stson:
are you an ipob kid? Because I can't see your name in his comment
Ipob is a name of a person ehn?

And I'm no IPOB or whatever you call it. undecided
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Jesusloveyou: 10:26am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Why do you people like distorting history?

Where were the Ekitis and Ondos paying their tributaries before the war of independence from Alaafin?

If they were under Benin Kingdom, how come.they took part in the Yoruba civil war by teaming up with the Ijeshas?

Please count Ika and the rest as part of your Kingdom but Definitely not Ekitis and Ondos.
not before independence,but before d coming of d white(portugees)in 1430s, benin empire controls all from onitsha to lagos to togo, d only empire in west african

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by rexbuton: 10:27am On Feb 12, 2016
I really wanted to chip in something but I'm wary of these people with accounts created in 2015..
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by OBAGADAFFI: 10:33am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

You own the oba of Benin or the oba of Benin owns your ooni??

There was noting like OBA in Benin Kingdom before oba eweka

Now who is the father of Oba Eweka
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 10:35am On Feb 12, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

There was noting like OBA in Benin Kingdom before oba eweka Now who is the father of Oba Eweka
is "oba" a Yoruba word?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by APCcrimes: 10:36am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Who told you Oduduwa came from heavens? Your ears heard what it wanted to ear.

If you believed that Elijah ascended to him with chariots of fire or Enoch ascended to him without dying, Or Zeus descended from heaven according to the Greeks, then Orunmila and Obatala too can descend from heaven too. No one has a monopoly of th heavens except God Almighty.

That is our believe and so be it. That is what is believed in yorubaland, in Nigeria Benin Republic Brazil Cuba and other carribean countries.

keep believing!
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 10:40am On Feb 12, 2016
josite:
i have examined all shades of view on this matter.and i conclude,prince eweka the first king of benin was actually a son of oranmiyan and an eko princess and the present OBA OF LAGOS confirmed that and that was why he is known as OMO NOBA meaning a prince.

but it is clear oduduwa himself came from somewhere and that place he comes from is benin so it is not a suprise that he sent oranmiyan back to benin and when oranmiyan coudnt achieve the desired goal,renamed the town ile ibinu and on his sojourn through eko gave birth to eweka who later become the first of oba of benin.

benin is yoruba and yoruba is benin and the cultures and the dresses and the religion attests to this as yorubas and binis are on the same level when it comes to juju.

like the ex cbn governor lamido said when rubbishing olaniwun's ajayi book during the launch of the same book"Until about about 200 years ago, there was nothing like a united Yorubaland. You were Egba, Ijebu, Oyo, Ife, Awori, etc."

the name yoruba was used to identify the tribes by hausas.

Wow! Really surprised by the bolded. I wrote almost exactly same here on this thread a few hours ago. Sanusi Lamido really reads wide.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by OBAGADAFFI: 10:41am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

is "oba" a Yoruba word?

Yes, Oba is the Yoruba word for King

Ogiso was the Edo word for (Kings of the Sky)
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 10:49am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
not before independence,but before d coming of d white(portugees)in 1430s, benin empire controls all from onitsha to lagos to togo, d only empire in west african

You can control from Benin to Cameroon, we care less.

Your language or culture have no influence on anywhere from Ore to Lome, whereas Yoruba has. Why is your language not spoken or your culture adopted?

For all our conquered territories, they adopt our language and culture. Classical examples are the Eguns, a subset of the Ewes.

Name a place where your language is spoken outside Benin? Yorubas can point to Benin Republic, Togo and even Ghana, down to Brazil Cuba and the Carribeans.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by OBAGADAFFI: 10:55am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:

Go and read about Dahomey
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by tonychristopher: 11:01am On Feb 12, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
Shut up...Benin has never controlled Onitsha ...don't price market you can't buy

Pls face your western brother and progenitors
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:16am On Feb 12, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Go and read about Dahomey

You are even minding those shallow minds.

They thought because Benin Republic is bearing that name, it must hav been their territory.

Dahomey Kingdom and the Yorubas were and are still the most dominant people in Benin Republic till today.

Even the Dahomey Kingdom had to bow to the military war machine of the Yorubas at the end of the day and they were paying tributes to Alaafin before the advent of the Frenchs.

They should show us 1 place in Benin Republic that speaks their language or that has a semblance of their culture.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 11:16am On Feb 12, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

There was noting like OBA in Benin Kingdom before oba eweka

Now who is the father of Oba Eweka

Wrong. In fact the Ogiso Igodo, first ogiso of Igodomigodo (as Benin became called alongside the name Idu) was also called Oba-godo. He reigned from about 40BC to 16CE. Roman senate appointed Herod as King of Judaea in 40BC too.

There were 31 Ogisos from 40BC to 1100AD. Between 1100-1169 was a time of turmoil as no male heir. Ekaladerhan had been banished in this tumultuous era. A noble man, Evian and later his son, Ogiame ruled. Infact Ogiame prevented Oranmiyan entering the heart of Igodo/palace. In fact, it took Oba Ewedo (1260-1274) to defeat Ogiamien army/supporting chiefs in several battles to enter Benin and built the new palace. About 90 years later.

These battles are colourfully re-enacted and Ogiamie symbolically defeated before a new Oba can be allowed to enter Benin/Palace, at coronation. Last one was in 1979. History is alive in Benin, every old street, village, shrine, palace activity and all have a detailed history behind it.
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by Super1Star: 11:21am On Feb 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

Wrong. In fact the Ogiso Igodo, first ogiso of Igodomigodo (as Benin became called alongside the name Idu) was also called Oba-godo. He reigned from about 40BC to 16CE. Roman senate appointed Herod as King of Judaea in 40BC too.

There were 31 Ogisos from 40BC to 1100AD. Between 1100-1169 was a time of turmoil as no male heir. Ekaladerhan had been banished in this tumultuous era. A noble man, Evian and later his son, Ogiame ruled. Infact Ogiame prevented Oranmiyan entering the heart of Igodo/palace. In fact, it took Oba Ewedo (1260-1274) to defeat Ogiamien army/supporting chiefs in several battles to enter Benin and built the new palace. About 90 years later.

These battles are colourfully re-enacted and Ogiamie symbolically defeated before a new Oba can be allowed to enter Benin/Palace, at coronation. Last one was in 1979. History is alive in Benin, every old street, village, shrine, palace activity and all have a detailed history behind it.

Don't get it twisted.

The Ogisos and Benin were existing as a people from time immemorial and you are not yorubas.

But your present throne and present dynasty that was started by Eweka, the son of Oranmiyan, started the 1st line of Obas an a new dynasty that is still in place till today.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by oodua1stson: 11:24am On Feb 12, 2016
naijaboiy:

Ipob is a name of a person ehn?

And I'm no IPOB or whatever you call it. undecided
if ipob kid is not your name then why did you come around to insult him?
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by fanedrive(m): 11:25am On Feb 12, 2016
APCcrimes:

Who owns Lagos??
Benin,Ibo and Hausas exclusively....pun intended
Re: Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 by AreaFada2: 11:40am On Feb 12, 2016
Super1Star:

Don't get it twisted.

The Ogisos and Benin were existing as a people from time immemorial and you are not yorubas.

But your present throne and present dynasty that was started by Eweka, the son of Oranmiyan, started the 1st line of Obas an a new dynasty that is still in place till today.

Nothing twisted. All verifiable stuff from daily activities, ceremonies, etc.

From about 1169, sure by Oranmiyan & Eweka. That is settled and common history/knowledge in Benin.

Also that the father of Oranmiyan was Benin prince Ekaladerhan that became Imadoduwa/Izoduwa in Ife.

That was the only reason Oranmiyan was requested to come to Benin.

This has happened more recently too. In 1714, British parliament requested Elector of Hannover, George to become King of England after death of heirless Queen Anne. George was a German relative (and protestant as Catholics were & still forbidden to be King/Queen of England) of English royal family. George spoke only German. Hence he appointed a chief minister (Robert Walpole) to run England while the king mostly stayed in Germany. That chief minister became the British prime minister we all know today.
There are many other examples.

If you read wide and travel wide, it makes you understand yourself and your history better. Our ancestors were far smarter, political, intriguing & organised than we believe today.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

40 Old Photos That Will Show You How Times Have Changed In Nigeria! / Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In Style To Meet With Prince Charles. Photos / 10 Cultural Taboos In Yorubaland! (things You Must Never Do)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.