Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,659 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos (19512 Views)

Rwanda Shuts Down 714 Churches Over Noise Pollution, Safety Issues / Adult Movie Mistakenly Displays On Church Screen During Service / What Can I Do About Noise Pollution By A Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Islie: 8:33am On Feb 11, 2016
The police in Lagos have arrested six persons for allegedly disturbing the peace of residents of Olaomibiyi Street, Ogba, during a church service.

The members – Ngozichukwu Onyebuchi (44), Clement Eromosele (26), Chukwudi Akwegbu (26), Chibuzor Chukwu (18), Godspower Enudi (21) and Okorie Livonus (36) – were arraigned in a Lagos Magistrate’s Court sitting in Ogba.

They were accused of converting a residential apartment to a church.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the landlord and residents of the building where the defendants gathered to worship had complained that the congregation caused noise pollution whenever they prayed.

They were said to have cautioned the worshippers to lower their voices, but the members reportedly declined.

Our correspondent gathered that the church was reported to the police at the Pen Cinema division, who arrested the six members on January 14 during Sunday service, while the others were said to be at large.

They were brought before a Chief Magistrate, Mrs. T. Akanni, on two counts of engaging in a conduct capable of causing a breach of the peace.

The offence, according to a police prosecutor, Inspector Clifford Ogu, is punishable under sections 410 and 166 (1) (d) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2011.

The charges read, “That you, Ngozichukwu Onyebuchi, Clement Eromosele, Chukwudi Akwegbu, Chibuzor Chukwu, Godspower Enudi and Okorie Livonus, and others still at large on Olaomibiyi Street, Ogba, Lagos, on January 14, 2016, at about 8am in the Lagos Magisterial District, did conspire to commit felony to wit: conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.

“That you and others still at large on the same date, time and place, in the aforementioned magisterial district, did unlawfully convert the residential apartment of the aforementioned house to a church and disturb peace of the landlord and other tenants as you were praying on top of your voice, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 166 (1) (d) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2011.”
The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges and elected summary trial.

The presiding magistrate, Akanni, admitted them to bail in the sum of N50,000 each with two sureties each in like sum. The magistrate added that the sureties must provide evidence of tax payments and their residential addresses to the court for the perfection of the defendants’ bail.

The case was adjourned till February 15, 2016, for mention.

www.punchng.com/church-members-arrested-during-service-for-noise-pollution/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:34am On Feb 11, 2016
Ain't against any church doing their thing, but those people can constitute public nuisance at times. There's 1 at d back of my house, those people can disturb eeeh, just imagine how night vigil 7days in a week will be. No sleep at night, shouting on top of your voice while talking & answering calls.

Ajus taya!! angry

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Niflheim(m): 8:38am On Feb 11, 2016
The strong hand of "Reason", has slapped the dirty lips of Christianity back to it's senses!!!

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Pineapp: 8:57am On Feb 11, 2016
grin
"7thunderous holy ghost fire" embarassed
"21 noisy roof shaking alleluia" undecided
"All you evil landlord summersault and die" lipsrsealed

You go fear the way they'd be generously shaking convulsively angry

22 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by alienvirus: 8:58am On Feb 11, 2016
Niflheim:
The strong hand of "Reason", has slapped the dirty lips of Christianity back to it's senses!!!
That's strong!
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by McCarlito(m): 9:01am On Feb 11, 2016
Pineapp:
grin
7thunderous holy ghost fire embarassed
21 noisy roof shaking alleluia undecided
The violent ways these churches scream and shout during prayers makes me sometimes wonder if their God is deaf and only hears when u shout at the top of your voice……

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by johnydon22(m): 9:06am On Feb 11, 2016
very good people often forget that having a right to something doesn't mean to impose it on others.. People often don't consider others when going about exercising their rights forgetting others have their own rights too.

Once your actions becomes a nuisance to the society, it becomes a societal vice and carries a negative moral tilt.

Good call by the Lagos authority...

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:13am On Feb 11, 2016
LET GOD ARISE AND HIS ENEMIES BE **************

1 Like

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by ministeriallist: 9:19am On Feb 11, 2016
I don't like this noise-making stuff. Why do they shout when praying? After all, our Lord Jesus Christ gave this clear instruction at Matthew 6:6,7 to pray quietly and not repeating the same thing. This rule is not being obeyed by many noise-making churches.
It's in there best interest to change or the law would take its course.

18 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
LET GOD ARISE AND HIS ENEMIES BE **************
Don't worry. God will not arise and destroy any enemies. If he could, after all that shout wey dem shout, case no for reach court.

They should shout to God to come and save them. Maybe dem fit win the lottery that is prayer.

BoreholeEngr:
Surely YHWH will arise, O Lucifer! for you have seen HIM arise before, when you were thrown out of HEAVEN and so shall you again be thrown into the bottomless pit in the Name of CHRIST JESUS, AMEN.
The problem with being thrown into a bottomless pit is that you never land. I fail to see the purpose.

10 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by brunofarad(m): 10:50am On Feb 11, 2016
Ok
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by preciousMI1(f): 10:50am On Feb 11, 2016
LMAO... God's ears are not too short to hear us, so why the shouts?

4 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 10:50am On Feb 11, 2016
ministeriallist:
I don't like this noise-making stuff. Why do they shout when praying?
Oga, what if it was the Holy Spirit that was shouting through them? undecided
U want to use sense to limit the Holy Spirit? The court must be careful.God's Word has come to stay. Is the law above the word of God?

3 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Moneyhatesme(m): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2016
If na psquare come all night show na, them no go charge them to court o

10 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by shamecurls(m): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2016
Lobatan!
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by philip0906(m): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2016
I'm a Christian and would gladly support any law that prohibits "public disturbance"...but it should spread across all religions and sectors. If you are to punish the people who disturb in the church,
1.you should also punish the imams who disturbed our sleep in the morning.
2. You should also punish the beer parlor joints that blast noise called songs into our ear drums up till 2:00AM in the morning
3. Companies that in the name of marketing, blast songs and what have you disturbing public peace.

When this is done, I'll gladly tell my pastor to reduce the volume of his microphone and put our church speakers inside the church

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by spicy244(f): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2016
Church church church
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by allanphash7(m): 10:52am On Feb 11, 2016
I really love this

Please come to my street i dont sleep at night due to one CAC and in the morning the muslim will start their noise also

4 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by lloydpras: 10:52am On Feb 11, 2016
Ikeja Churches need this.

2 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by adorablepepple(f): 10:52am On Feb 11, 2016
Nice they should do so to other mosques and church, it's wrong for churches and mosques to put speakers outside the place of worship. I wish this can happen in warri

3 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Samexdx(m): 10:52am On Feb 11, 2016
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Adatob(m): 10:53am On Feb 11, 2016
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by iamlati: 10:53am On Feb 11, 2016
spicy244:
Church church church

How does church!! church!! church!!!, Make Any sense to you , please comment with sense dear

1 Like

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by DirtyGold: 10:53am On Feb 11, 2016
Disturbing the peace..... yeah, that can be very annoying and since it is punishable under the law, i guess this is cool

What's tha business?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by spaggyy(m): 10:53am On Feb 11, 2016
[b]Churches and Noise, when the people you preach for dey inside church, you go dey make noise for people for street

[/b]meanwhile guys see this threaad on nairaland on the new way to cure stroke, obesity, burn fat, and obesity
https://www.nairaland.com/2927009/best-way-cure-strokes
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 11, 2016
McCarlito:

The violent ways these churches scream and shout during prayers makes me sometimes wonder if their God is deaf and only hears when u shout at the top of your voice……

Their God reminds me of Baal.

6 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by cherylsmith(f): 10:55am On Feb 11, 2016
Not fair
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by sweetchizzy(f): 10:56am On Feb 11, 2016
I wish the ones in my street will be arrested too.

7 Likes

Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by spicy244(f): 10:56am On Feb 11, 2016
iamlati:

How does church!! church!! church!!!, Make Any sense to you , please comment with sense dear

Do ursef d favour of not quoting me.......Shogbo?
Re: Church Members Arrested During Service For Noise Pollution In Lagos by blackpanda: 10:57am On Feb 11, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Oga, what if it was the Holy Spirit that was shouting through them? undecided
U want to use sense to limit the Holy Spirit? The court must be careful.God's Word has come to stay. Is the law above the word of God?

Yes. It is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions For Anony About Souls / Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? / Why Do Christian Men Remove Their Cap In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.