Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,011 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? (12958 Views)

Poll: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It?

very effective: 13% (6 votes)
effective: 24% (11 votes)
not effective: 48% (22 votes)
indifference: 13% (6 votes)
others: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today / Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 05, 2009
Canning/thrashing/whooping etc whichever way you see it.
IS IT THAT EFFECTIVE? In the sense that does that means a young child wont go back to do what he/she was been canned for.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by iice(f): 7:47am On Jul 06, 2009
I would say effective. . .like 80% effective.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by bikokwe(m): 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2009
Its not neccessary
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by jowea: 2:41pm On Jul 06, 2009
its like a case of a thief helping u 2 look 4 a stolen thing.it is not effective at all. who dey perform the discipline self?well,God bless Nigeria. cry
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by mahal(m): 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2009
with all the big men private schools everywhere, would vote; Not effective!!
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by favcom(m): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2009
Effective in some ways, but generally a failure
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Krayola(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2009
very very ineffective. Scare tactics don't teach morality. . .they just teach u the importance of not getting caught, and can lead to rebellion
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2009
Krayola:

very very ineffective. Scare tactics don't teach morality. . .they just teach u the importance of not getting caught, and can leads to rebellion
Exactly what i think it is.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by ayobase(m): 5:24pm On Jul 06, 2009
What the hell are u talking about?
Beating? Trashing? Whooping of , ?

Nope?

The school system is totally going weird!!!
Sorry, it is gone bad totally!!!!!!

Where in the constitution of Education is
teacher or HEADmaster or Principal
allowed to beat up a child?

U are only allowed to punish a child,
maybe cutting the grass,kneeling down,monkey jumping and inter alia!
no form of body abuse is allowed!!
It is totally wrong!!!!

We need constitution review on this forum
so as to help us with our RIGHTS!
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2009
Well I don't know.

All I know is that their education system might suck, but their principle is very effective.
And we wonder why Nigerians are one of the smartest nations in USA. Their disciplinary teaches responsibility. . . .you come late, you get the cane. You don't do your work, you get the cane. etc. I'm not so much into these American/European soft disciplinary system, no encouragement to learn.
You think if employment rate is good in Naija, you think most of those street boys won't want to go to school? You think yahoo yahoo won't  go back to school that they're paying for?

I haven't witnessed any Nigerians at my school strive for less, infact they're very competitive when it comes to those grades. Same goes for other African countries. Nigerians are a bunch of smart people, but na condition dey make shrimp bend.

Long story short, we know were we came from, we've been told by our parents that education is not only an opportunity, but also a MUST.

All I know is that, even if the Nigerian disciplinary education does not work, our parents principle works. I mean, who wants to go back home and say "Mommy, I failed" shocked shocked grin  That's an outright shame. S.H.A.M.E!!!
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by slimfine(f): 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2009
is not as bad as many of you make it to be. I think is more effective than a mere time out or go to your room! this discipline made me/us stronger. I hated it then but it thought me how to do what am suppose to do early and on time! In the real world if you don't take care of ya responsibility there are harsh consequences, either you get fired, expelled, dismissed etc. I got whopped so many times as a kid but that it put me in check! I am tired of telling my siblings here in the US to do homework, do dishes, take a bath etc OVER and OVER. Many times, they get up on their ass when I eventually yell! but of course, one man's headache is another man's dessert.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by ifyalways(f): 8:09pm On Jul 06, 2009
Quite effective in some cases,dont work for some.Some children cry and get scared when they hear the word cane while some are so hardened that they can take straight 24 in one hand/back without flinching.
Besides,our disciplinary systems in 9ja public schs.dont start and end with floggin oooo.
Marry the wall,dig ur grave,cuting grass,scrubing the lav.,frog jump etc are all disciplinary measures dished out by the seniors and prefects to junior students.3 things are involved,either the student stays away from crime,gets hardened,do the crime and wait for the punishment or he devices a way to commit crimes in a smater way and dont get caught.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by davidif: 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2009
Fl Gators, slimfine and ifyalways. You guys hit the message on the head. Its not perfect but it does work. I can't even imagine what my life would have been like if i wasn't thoroughly flogged.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2009
not effective.
way to strict n too much of everything is bad.

davidif:

I can't even imagine what my life would have been like if i wasn't thoroughly flogged.

whatttt?? you liked the flogging?
I don't think it would have made much difference for me whether i was flogged or not. lol
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by davidif: 9:10pm On Jul 06, 2009
whatttt?? you liked the flogging?
I don't think it would have made much difference for me whether i was flogged or not. lol

Different strokes for different folks.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 9:10pm On Jul 06, 2009
yea i guess
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oge4real(f): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2009
non existent! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by bawomolo(m): 9:49pm On Jul 06, 2009
It's pretty ineffective considering such discipline has produced little results in Nigerian society.

All I know is that, even if the Nigerian disciplinary education does not work, our parents principle works. I mean, who wants to go back home and say "Mommy, I failed" Shocked Shocked Grin  That's an outright shame. S.H.A.M.E!!!

such unnecessary pressure has led to a situation where people strive for the best grades rather than striving to learn what interests them.

this can be seen in Nigerian parents that all want junior and chioma to be in science class among the "geniuses" even though chioma wants to a lawyer some day. 

We all talk about soft disciplinary system in the west but why are we living in the west and not under the taliban?  Violence should never be the first response.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 9:54pm On Jul 06, 2009
haha thank u bamowolo.
if i were in a position to choose btw naija and us disciplinary system. i will choose US. it's much more student friendly. imo

it's true naija students do better in the us but you have to consider what sort of naija families come to the us in the first place. most likely students who were already doing ok back home anyway
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by bawomolo(m): 10:06pm On Jul 06, 2009
most nigerians that immigrate to the west typically come from the middle class.

If you want a realistic view of Nigerian students, go visit the kids at Igbobi college, ijeshatedo boys, ojuelegba grammar school etc. then you would see the real state of the Nigerian public school system. They need support and not flogging.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 06, 2009
bawomolo:

such unnecessary pressure has led to a situation where people strive for the best grades rather than striving to learn what interests them.

this can be seen in Nigerian parents that all want junior and chioma to be in science class among the "geniuses" even though chioma wants to a lawyer some day.  

We all talk about soft disciplinary system in the west but why are we living in the west and not under the taliban?  Violence should never be the first response.
Yes, I agree with you on "Strive for the best grades rather than strive for what interest them". But then again, it depends on the kinda parents you have, if they support you in no matter what decision you make. But that has nothing to do with the school's disciplinary system.

You bring your goals to school, and it's the school's obligation to encourage and inspire you and to TEACH you in order for you to achieve those goals. Schools do not make decisions in what you want to become for you, you make those decisions and they help you carry it out. Your parent's pressure is another story.

I cannot continue to stress it out that you can't keep comparing the West to Nigeria. The west has many available resources for their students that Nigeria does not provide. Does Nigeria have Federal/ Private financial aids and loans? Did you pay to go to elementary/middle/private school?

For those student interested in Biomedical engineering, can such studies be carried out in Nigeria where power source is limited?

What really encourages our students in Nigeria to achieve more than they could? Are they guaranteed of job employment after graduation?
Like, my school even offers interns (and pay their students internship) to coming FRESHMENs, does that happen in Nigeria?

I'm telling you, if all this resources that we continue to take for granted is available in Nigeria, I'm sure we'll have more graduates than we currently do, esp with Naija's disciplinary system.

Does it work? Is it necessary? Maybe not, but their principles does WORK!!
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2009
FL Gators:

I cannot continue to stress it out that you can't keep comparing the West to Nigeria. The west has many available resources for their students that Nigeria does not provide. Does Nigeria have Federal/ Private financial aids and loans? Did you pay to go to elementary/middle/private school?

i agree with u here though. if naija had an equal amt of resource maybe we'll quit treating our future generation like goats. lol
n maybe child abuse would be criminalized. 'cause that's pretty much the basis of our disciplinary system.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 06, 2009
Honesty is another issue.
Can we trust the school system not to "buy" their student. Buy in the sense of not giving grades for money.
Can we trust our graduates's resumee? Did they actually learn anything? From what I've been hearing about Nigeria's students-teacher relationship, I wouldn't know which resumee to trust undecided
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by bawomolo(m): 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2009
What really encourages our students in Nigeria to achieve more than they could? Are they guaranteed of job employment after graduation?

should the aim of education be soley employment or bettering one's self? we have graduates in our legislature who act like animals. Encouraging them to solve their problems using violence is not exactly exemplary. whats the difference between a police officer who flogs an okada man for a traffic offense and a teacher who flogs a student for coming to class late?

such authoritarian brute force mentality is hurting Nigeria.

The west has many available resources for their students that Nigeria does not provide. Does Nigeria have Federal/ Private financial aids and loans? Did you pay to go to elementary/middle/private school?

money is part of the problem but u also need teachers who care and not the ones who think their students are wild life.

Does it work? Is it necessary? Maybe not, but their principles does WORK!!

communism works in principle too.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Sagamite(m): 10:46pm On Jul 06, 2009
I would choose our mode of child discipline over the one I have seen in the UK.

It is not perfect but it is far, far, far better.

I have no doubt that after encountering the average behaviour of a Nigerian brought up kid, most British would agree with me.

The British society is not in moral breakdown, it is currently in moral meltdown.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 10:50pm On Jul 06, 2009
keep in mind naija morals is different from uk or us morals.
naija discipline is meant to raise the kid in accordance with naija morals etc

bawomolo:

most nigerians that immigrate to the west typically come from the middle class.

If you want a realistic view of Nigerian students, go visit the kids at Igbobi college, ijeshatedo boys, ojuelegba grammar school etc. then you would see the real state of the Nigerian public school system. They need support and not flogging.

very true. those schools are raising kids to be hoodlums and area boys
some public schools abroad sef. esp. in minority neighborhoods the same can be said about their poor quality.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 06, 2009
bawomolo:

should the aim of education be soley employment or bettering one's self? we have graduates in our legislature who act like animals. Encouraging them to solve their problems using violence is not exactly exemplary. whats the difference between a police officer who flogs an okada man for a traffic offense and a teacher who flogs a student for coming to class late?

Education should be used for something, if not employment. What's the point of getting an education if later on it wouldn't be of any use?
That's like wasting money to sit in a class. Get your diploma. And then sit home doing nothing. What's the sense of accomplishment there?

As to those politicians, they're just embarrassing. I bet 95% of them came from a rich or "I know people" family.
Tell me this, if you're a son of a rich politician, what can't you "buy" in Nigeria? undecided

Trust me, some children DESERVES to be flogged. The problem with the flogging system is that teachers usually flog for little reasons or just because they can. I mean, come on, every system has flaws. We never said the disciplinary system is perfect.

bawomolo:

money is part of the problem but u also need teachers who care and not the ones who think their students are wild life.
Can't argue with you on this one. But what country does not have teachers who care less if their kids are educated or not?
Some teachers are just there, they want to teach , but they just don't KNOW how to reach out to their students.

bawomolo:

communism works in principle too.
Plz clarify this point.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by davidif: 10:56pm On Jul 06, 2009
bawomolo,
"Spare the rod and spoil the child", geez this has worked for centuries and it still continues to work. Our system is NOT PERFECT BUT IT WORKS. GEEZ. Go to any inner city school here in yanki and you will see what i am talking about. When your daughters now become "baby mamas" or start using excuses like "i ain't smart" not to excel in school then come talk to me. Children need STRUCTURE AND DISCIPLINE especially when they cannot get it at home. I agree that discipline (flogging) needs to be complimented with other subtler methods, and that we cannot be flogging children all the time, on this point, you are definitely right, soft power works most of the time but to say that we should discard discipline is a terrible thing. What do you do if a student puts his feet on the desk when you are teaching or starts misbehaving and distracting the class? I don't know about you o, but i just don't want my kids shooting each other (go to miami-dade county public schools) in school or bringing knifes to school, just go to England and see what i am talking about.

We all talk about soft disciplinary system in the west but why are we living in the west and not under the taliban?  Violence should never be the first response.

Are you kidding me?? we are from third world countries and not western countries so we don't have the privilege of taking aesthetic classes or "following there dreams" ( i can't imagine how my life would have turned out if my mom had ended up being an artist despite the fact that she was very talented). WE HAVE TO BE PRAGMATIC just like the Israelis, Chinese, Indians are. If you think that the Nigerian parent is pushy, then wait till you see an Israeli or Chinese mother. Israel is where it is today because it encourages its best students to go into science and not finance. I know this is not a popular issue, but the truth is that NO COUNTRY CAN DEVELOP WITHOUT SCIENTISTS period.

I am sorry but i am not going to send my kids to go to cambridge university in England to study Greek Philosophy. A lot of wealthy Americans who send there children to Ivy League schools feel the same way. Some parents even believe that "unnecessary" classes like music education should be banned in high schools.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by arogbowei: 11:09pm On Jul 06, 2009
To me, our school's disciplinary system is still hanging in there despite all the attacks/ threats from parents who are now more American than Obama and more English like the Queen. In any case, the level of discipline in public schools have gone down. But do you blame the system? Blame the society that celebrates indiscipline.

Blame the society that throws it's own values out through the window because of some strange/alien/foreign cultures that has not helped it's practitioners.

There is no two way to success. Discipline right from the home front down to the various schools be they public or private, a child needs discipline all the way.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by oyinda3(f): 11:11pm On Jul 06, 2009
davidif:

bawomolo,
"Spare the rod and spoil the child", geez this has worked for centuries and it still continues to work. Our system is NOT PERFECT BUT IT WORKS. GEEZ. Go to any inner city school here in yanki and you will see what i am talking about.

Are you kidding me?? we are from third world countries and not western countries so we don't have the privilege of taking aesthetic classes. WE HAVE TO BE PRAGMATIC just like the Israelis, Chinese, Indians are. If you think that the Nigerian parent is pushy, then wait till you see an Israeli or Chinese mother. Israel is where it is today because it encourages its best students to go into science and not finance. I know this is not a popular issue, but the truth is that NO COUNTRY CAN DEVELOP WITHOUT SCIENTISTS period.

chinese ppl definitely steer their kids to the arts. some of the most accomplished musicians (instruments ex piano violin etc) are chinese. but that's on the side of more lucrative fields as science etc
but the appreciation is definitely there and helps quality of life

also, u shouldn't compare inner city ghetto schools to the average american school.  yea i agree that in cases where resource are limited there will always be problem. but even beatings and these strict measures don't always solve the problem although they work to an extent to contain it. ex ojuelegba grammar school (no pun intended haha) still supplies a fair share of touts and area boys. and i can't imagine how much flogging goes on in those naija public schools.

I am sorry but i am not going to send my kids to go to cambridge university in England to study Greek Philosophy. A lot of wealthy Americans who send there children to Ivy League schools feel the same way. Some parents even believe that "unnecessary" classes like music education should be banned in high schools.

this is soooo not true. wealthy americans encourage their kids to pursue the liberal arts. they usually get their employment through some form of connection anyways so college education isn't what matters most as long as you get the solid education to give u enough critical thinking skills etc
and trust me, those parents who believe music should be banned in HS are in the minority. I know when the govt cut funds in my HS and it hurt the music and art dept, students and parents organized a rally.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:21pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ Topic

HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE NIGERIAN SCHOOL DISCIPLINARY SYSTEM??

ANSWER; Its very ineffective.

I will take you back to school.

What are the disciplinary measures employed by Nigerian schools?? Canning, Grass-cutting, Kneeling down and other such punishments.

How do these serve as a corrective measure??

They are designed to put fear into the hearts and minds of the pupil/student. It is believed that the fear of pain would make the student desist from breaking the law.

What crimes warrant these sort of punishments??

It ranges from improper dress code (flying your shirts/blouse, wrong colour belts/sandals/socks, wrong shade of school uniforms), failing a test/assignment (we were even flogged for not knowing how to recite the multiplication tables), Noise making, late coming, insubordination towards school authority, Not having hymn books/textbooks, e.t.c.

Are there stipulated punishments for any particular crime??

NO!! Punishments are metted out at the teachers discretion. Atimes it could be a combination of two or three different forms of punishments if the teachers feel like it.

DOES IT WORK??

Hellz no. These forms of punishments are not corrective measures, but more like brutality. I remember this dude that jumped the fence and left the school without an exeat, when he was caught, the teacher decided that his punishment would be 12 strokes of the cane. The dude stood through the entire 12 strokes without even moving a muscle. The teacher felt insulted and decided that he was gonna add another 12 strokes to it. Now I ask you is that punishment??

How does 6/12/24 strokes of the cane teach any body morals?? And the sad part is that they claim that it is based on the bible philosophy of "spare the rod and spoil the child". There use to be this one teacher in my secondary school that had a pillow that he took with him everywhere. He was noted more for his flogging ability than his teaching.

Infact, the whole canning thing became a sport at some point. We used it to differenciate between the strong and the weak. If you could take your strokes without moving or scratching, your streetschool cred went up, if you the sort that would run around crying like a little bitch, you were laughed at by everyone. How many repeat offenders do we have despite the flogging?? The same group you floged yesterday for noise-making, are the same crew you would flog today. Infact, this barbaric form of punishment has somehow influeced the students in their daily lives. School prefects now feel like enforcers carrying canes about whipping whosoever they can intimidate. Its even worse in the public schools. In short, it introduces violence into the campus.  I have heard of a boys school in Anambra were the teachers even carry guns now cause the students now bring guns to school (I swear).

Is there an alternative to flogging??

YES!! Most students hate there books. Make them do some extra homework, after school detention, it will be a better alternative cos it would also help teach the students as well as inconvieniece them.

The entire Nigerian educational system (especially our public schools) is a big joke. From academics, to socials to punishment.
Re: Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? by Sagamite(m): 11:23pm On Jul 06, 2009
FL Gators:

Trust me, some children DESERVES to be flogged. The problem with the flogging system is that teachers usually flog for little reasons or just because they can. I mean, come on, every system has flaws. We never said the disciplinary system is perfect.

Yep. Most children in the UK also need some serious flogging.

I would rather have a situation where occasionally and unavoidably a teacher flogs for a little reason than have a situation where they don't flog at all. It happened to me a few times and pissed me the hell off but it thought me that life is unfair and things don't always go my way, which help build my current resilience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

YABATECH Declares 22-day Holiday For Elections / Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? / Free Post Utme Exam Past Question Pdf Download - Oau Uniben Uniilorin Unilag Unn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.