Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 AM

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (94851 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / How Tough Is Pharmacy As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kunlexic(m): 5:23pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

In OAU, pharmacist do repeat years. After repeating a 2nd time, you would be advised to withdraw irrespective of what year you are in. Some of their passmark are also 60%.

In ife, its a Bpharm but same equivalency as a Pharm D in the US.

I believe all university level courses are hard especially the sciences.
do u study pharmacy in OAU? if yes what part and hw can we talk?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by amjou: 5:23pm On Feb 15, 2016
We did it, you can.

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by bawz012(m): 5:25pm On Feb 15, 2016
MBBS students read a lot and also practicals. It's hard.
I think another course that relates to it is
Architecture SCHOOL ... no Sleep in the wild.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by laykhorn(m): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
captainmilk:
undecided The hardest course is Engineering ... quote me anywhere

Preach it man. I acknowledge you my brother. You only have to read to get through Medicine. With Engineering, your IQ is required and Physical strenght and ofcourse your academic balance.

3 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by saintfaculty(m): 5:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Reminez(m): 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.
Lol..some folks just spew thrash on issues they know little or nothing about. Medical and dental students go through similar training and yes dental graduates are doctors too. Medicine and dentistry are monozygotic twins as far as medical school training is concerned.

5 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by sogodihno: 6:24pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

I'm sure it's because its a pharmD that is awarded and not a B.Pharm, abi??

Just asking tho

Pharmacy in OAU, wch is B. Pharm, u can't Carry any course over. The pass mark is 50; and their are two other courses one on pt 3 another in pt 4, that their cut off is 60%. U can av 59F
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 6:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

I see posts like this and laugh.....
I see people like you laughing I rewire em and laugh hysterically. Ja gefe
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kunlexic(m): 6:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
saintkel:
Microbiology
i reffered to drdonzeez,,,am confused the dr in his moniker suggest he is studying medicine too
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by isblog(m): 6:33pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.

I thank God you only typed this... If only you knew better you would delete your comment. Respect to all other medical allied courses though
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by isblog(m): 6:36pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

You see, most people don't realize how medicine and surgery is until they experience it themselves....

My colleague mowah has told u just the academics that go with it, he didn't tell you anything about the responsibilities that flow with it....

Do you want to talk about the lectures (from 8am-6pm everyday, no break, sometimes some profs can hold lectures at 10pm, and you won't say crap) the practicals (during preclinical) and the ward rounds/clinics (during clinical)....

What of the crazy exams, answering 800 objective questions in 3hrs, then coming back that same day to answer all 17essay questions..... Even before that, you write exams nearly every month.....

During ward rounds, you are abused, castigated, told that you can never make it in life, you can never be a doctor, in front of your patient....

Medicine, to me, is the toughest course ever, then we could mention others later

Brother well said
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 15, 2016
Omeny:
I have this sister that was so brilliant like mad!

The symbols in Chemistry and scientists Rules in Physics and Maths where in her finger-tips!

She got admitted to read Medicine in UNIBEN!

She was doing wonderfully well theoretically, I was told when the practical aspect was introduced to her for further studies from stage to stage, Dead Bodies where freely given to her for practical!

A time came in her studies and exposures to these Dead bodies my dear sis developed a serious ailment that she almost died from!

She has to go to other courses still in the medical field but sure not as the one she was doing b4, even at that,she has never been herself ever again!

Shocks and wonders has taken lots from her especially when she remembers somethings back then!

God bless our Doctors and Oh Lord I pray, If there's life after this life,bless me with brain,opportunity and parents that will assist me to become a Doctor!
the sight of a dead body can really be scary but this can be overcomed when you discipline your mind not to fear anything and believe in God and yes there is definitely life after this life for those who deligently save lives like noble doctors

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 15, 2016
tombravo:
my elder sister gained admission[b] last yr [/b] for medicine nd surgery. mehn? if you see d way she reads, i dy pity am. she still yelled at me this morning at 5a.m ^go out! get out of my room, he sees someone as serious as this and still decides to disturb^ omo, i fear. i for dan enta for law too if no b for U.Is bravado. thank God, she dy go her appartmemmt today. imagine reading frm 5pm when she gets back from school,till 1a.m. then wake up at 4a.m read till 7a.m. leave for school at 8a.m. na wa
I presume she's still in 100l baa? if so, its not up to that now. I stabbed many classes to play snooker all day and I still finished with a nice CPGA. I can't try this in preclinicals though! she's in UI baa?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by kenedy175(m): 6:56pm On Feb 15, 2016
tombravo:
ohboy. i better start praying 4 my sis o.
Definitely! Prayers are also very important. You should pray for her
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Drdonzeez(m): 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
isblog:

I thank God you only typed this... If only you knew better you would delete your comment. Respect to all other medical allied courses though
I assume you to a Dullard if you think vet. Med and Dentistry are allied.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by artboll(m): 6:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
callMeAlpha:
bros pure Biochemistry is tougher than Medicine.... For ur information am a 400l medicine student in Unilag
400Level Medicine. Well,you haven't done Path/pharm exams,not to talk of Paediatrics, so I can try to forgive your assertion.

4 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Drdonzeez(m): 6:59pm On Feb 15, 2016
Kunlexic:
i reffered to drdonzeez,,,am confused the dr in his moniker suggest he is studying medicine too
so,one must study medicine before he bears the title. What class are you?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by artboll(m): 7:01pm On Feb 15, 2016
Damayor12:
Truss me, na die... my roomate then slept an average of 2-3hours daily..
always studying and sipping coke mixed with nescafe..
you have postings on christmas day, new year day,

you read, read, read.. and revise

then repeat.

everyday..

but at the end, the stress pays off
Thought I was the only one who did Coca cola and Nescafe

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by sagaciousblog: 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

You see, most people don't realize how medicine and surgery is until they experience it themselves....

My colleague mowah has told u just the academics that go with it, he didn't tell you anything about the responsibilities that flow with it....

Do you want to talk about the lectures (from 8am-6pm everyday, no break, sometimes some profs can hold lectures at 10pm, and you won't say crap) the practicals (during preclinical) and the ward rounds/clinics (during clinical)....

What of the crazy exams, answering 800 objective questions in 3hrs, then coming back that same day to answer all 17essay questions..... Even before that, you write exams nearly every month.....

During ward rounds, you are abused, castigated, told that you can never make it in life, you can never be a doctor, in front of your patient....

Medicine, to me, is the toughest course ever, then we could mention others later

waoo!!! Great analysis but i will appreciate you tell me which one among all the stuffs you typed above that a dental student doesn't do...

5 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by artboll(m): 7:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
sarzy:

1. Medicine is not 7 to 8 years. It is 6 years; so stop over-stressing issues.
2. Private hospitals that pay 40K does not employ qualified/graduate doctors. They employ quacks.
3. Your sister that works in a state hospital earns high enough. Compare her pay with those of other civil servants and the ease though which she was able to get a job.
4. In other countries, doctors are better paid, just as other professions.
For your 1st point,its officially 6 but most public University students spend more time. I spent 8years,no resit/repeat.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
drjoshua2000:

Mr Man stop deceiving yourself. Many wannabe medical doctors that end up as dentists or vetinary doctors make this shameful sentiment, however 99% of them actually wanted to be medical doctors.
your argument is faulted though a lot of people who wanted to study medicine ended up in dentistry and vet ( lucky ones get thrown in vet). I entered dentistry with Jamb score that a lot of medicine students in my school can only dream of plus my post utme score was more than medicine cut off and I'm only talking of only me in my department, there are many more. there are a lot of people who apply to dentistry as there dream course heck you may find out that a lot of dental student have dental surgeon parents. nevertheless dental students and medical students don't have beefs , we are friends,almost same training nobody get spoonfed in school. there are many dental students on nairaland that will never comment in here and argue on who is superior between MBBS and BDS.

7 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by sagaciousblog: 7:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
drjoshua2000:

Mr Man stop deceiving yourself. Many wannabe medical doctors that end up as dentists or vetinary doctors make this shameful sentiment, however 99% of them actually wanted to be medical doctors.

my friend! Shut the f*_ck up..what do you know?? You guys have been so brainwashed that you ascribe the term 'doctor' strictly to the physician..there is nothing the undergraduate medical student knows that the dental student doesn't! If you are in uniben and you think you know more, you can meet me up let's talk practical or clinicals now..i decided to ignore Sire Lagusta's post because there is no Dentistry and dental surgery in unilorin where he graduated from..

8 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
Kunlexic:
do u study pharmacy in OAU? if yes what part and hw can we talk?
My wife did, and she graduated about 10 years ago. Ife Bpharm is also the same as Bpharmacy in Canada.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kunlexic(m): 7:18pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
so,one must study medicine before he bears the title. What class are you?
lols,truly one must not.I just asked coz of the way those medical docs carry that tittle for head and they don't always want to hear other ppu carry the tittle doctor.
What is ur course bro?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 15, 2016
FredBloggs:
I presume she's still in 100l baa? if so, its not up to that now. I stabbed many classes to play snooker all day and I still finished with a nice CPGA. I can't try this in preclinicals though! she's in UI baa?
no no. U.I disqualified her. she got 76,cut off was 80. she got into unimed ondo sha.

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 15, 2016
artboll:

For your 1st point,its officially 6 but most public University students spend more time. I spent 8years,no resit/repeat.

Haha, oga. We are talking about the official thing here nah. My colleagues that gained admission in 2009 in UI graduated last year. So if you spent 8 years, blame strike, not medicine. And the strike affects all courses so even a Mathematics student can spend 6 years in Naija Uni. Stop making it look like Medicine is more than 6 years in duration. And after the six years nko, no be straight to money through internship, when others go dey search for job?

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by artboll(m): 7:37pm On Feb 15, 2016
sarzy:

Haha, oga. We are talking about the official thing here nah. My colleagues that gained admission in 2009 in UI graduated last year. So if you spent 8 years, blame strike, not medicine. And the strike affects all courses so even a Mathematics student can spend 6 years in Naija Uni. Stop making it look like Medicine is more than 6 years in duration. And after the six years nko, no be straight to money through internship, when others go dey search for job?
For your last point,all I can say is,who nor go nor know.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
artboll:

For your last point,all I can say is,who nor go nor know.

Lol, na dat money dey make people choose medicine for naija and dat u guys no dey search for job before you get.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kunlexic(m): 7:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

My wife did, and she graduated about 10 years ago. Ife Bpharm is also the same as Bpharmacy in Canada.
dats great...tanx sir
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Dbrainiac1(m): 7:44pm On Feb 15, 2016
sagaciousblog:
waoo!!! Great analysis but i will appreciate you tell me which one among all the stuffs you typed above that a dental student doesn't do...
Korrect.
Alongside dental subjects and postings that med students don't do

Lagusta
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 15, 2016
tombravo:
no no. U.I disqualified her. she got 76,cut off was 80. she got into unimed ondo sha.
I don't think that school is accredited o. she should start arranging another Jamb @ UI to avoid story that touch later .
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Kunlexic(m): 7:58pm On Feb 15, 2016
Stegomiah:
To say medicine and surgery is the most difficult course is an understatement.

For starters, in 18months you will have to do biochemistry, anatomy and physiology with an additional course. The whole of it, when you think it's the same courses each one of it some takes 4-5 years to study

In 4 months you will have to finish the whole pharmacology text
What it takes pharmacy and pharmacology students 5 years

Another 4 months to finish the whole pathology text
Pathology is divided into morbid anatomy, chemical pathology, hematology and microbiology
Microbiology is divided into bacteriology, fungalogy, parasitology and virology
All these are specialties, people take years to students
The clinicals is mad, medicine, surgery, o&g, peadiatrics.....

It's only in medicine 24hrs ain't enuf
Medicine makes extraordinary students ordinary
Turns humans into beast
I had to revise 175detailed slides in 20mins and know everything in there
It frustrates you
The stress, calls, wardrounds, practicals, annoying lecturers, exam tension, thrills

You have to have high tolerance, discipline and endurance level to survive

The exams are not here, time always insufficient

Negative marking, am not sure other departments does that

Lectures 8am to 5pm, evening you dey clinic
You don't have your saturdays to you everytime

I don't know about your medical school, but mine is really crazy in here
So don't even try comparing medicine with any other course

Mind you the best of the best are in medicine, many headboys in ma set, state champions, national champions, yet some still get withdrawn, majority keep on struggling.
Medicine is depressing, sometimes not mentally owkay, schizophrenic...

I don't expect you to understand, only one that passes thru the process will

If you so mad try to get admission to study medicine first, and not transfer aggression of not being able to secure an admission thus ridiculing how difficult medical school is
how can u relate pharmacy with pharmacology
Pharmacology is a course in Basic med sciences just lyk anatomy,biochem and physio while pharmacy is a course on its own.Don't just rant falsy issue just because u want to rate the course u are studying.
B4 u can conclude medicine is tougher than pharmacy or any other courses in the health profession,u shd have been in dose departments also.Person that hasn't reach another person's father's farm will say it is his own father's farm large pass.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.