Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research (27438 Views)

Scientist Discovers New Gravitational Waves From Black Hole Collision / Brace Up For Hot Days, Heat Waves-NIMET Warns Nigerians / This Funny Comic Gives You A Full Explanation Of Gravitational Waves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by GANJAFARMER: 11:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
ramalot:

Since the internet routes through satellites in space, which required such advanced scientific knowledge to execute, I recommend you log out. That way you're not contributing to "destroying the order."

That way, you can stay in the wilderness with your great all seeing eye till the end of days.
Before your internet routes through your worthless satellites in space existed - The all seeing eyes who existed and lives forever before the ancient of days made it possible , just to enable you appreciate it ,but again what have you used it for ?
Diseases you can't cure ravages you until you piss in your pants and and shake with horror at the mention of an ordinary disease? Yet you don't get the message .
We will log in here to educate you until you acquire true knowledge and wisdom and not what you've been running with for ages with no answer to your ultimate question.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Harmored(m): 11:30pm On Feb 11, 2016
Still waiting for teleportation

2 Likes

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by legaxi(m): 11:35pm On Feb 11, 2016
Am so excited that this discovery happened in my generation, just imagine the relativity theory practically taking it's full applications, this will really go a long way in space research and exploration.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
mkmyers45:

Actually this is the first time they have been a direct detection. The first detection was indirect
yes. This is the first direct detection. however, this is certainly not the first time they verified the concept of gravitational waves. in fact, LIGO was built to detect gravitational waves BECAUSE they had already been verified. what was left was to study them directly.
MathsChic:

It would take a really long while. Gravitational waves are very, very weak. Almost indiscernible. It took on upgrade on those interferometers to detect the weak energy from the biggest collision that could ever produce gravitational waves.
The problem with controlling gravity is certainly not its weakness, but It's dislocation from electricity. if we can find a unified theory connecting gravity to electricity, then it's weakness will not matter.
for instance, magnetism is far stronger than gravity. however, it cannot interact with nonmagnetic materials, making it entirely useless for cool things like levitation. despite the fact that it is connected to electricity.
the strong force as well. very well named. but it doesn't interact easily with electricity. so we literally can't use it for anything. angry

A cool analogy would be a really beautiful woman. whom you can never date, because she doesn't understand the language you're speaking.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
Harmored:
Still waiting for teleportation
Don't.

the reality of it is far terrifying and complicated than movies make it out to be.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by CzarChris(m): 11:41pm On Feb 11, 2016
abumeinben:
cheesy

We still have a lot to go by...we're still digging up Einstein archives, we've not even started with Nikola Tesla's yet

True bro, but for me the greatest genius of all time was Leonardo di vinici, he was hundreds of years ahead of his time.
Niceman4u:

The importance s dat it will help explain the big bang theory whch talks abt d origin of d earth.
It will also help to explain or prove some physical concepts/law which we never knew that existed.
Kudos to science nd thumbs up to my Role model in the field of physics, Albert Einstein, he predicted this gravitational wave in 1916 nd 100 yrs leta its being proved.
The big bang theory was actually postulated by Georges Lemaitre whose theory Einstein said "his maths was correct but his physics is abominable" note: they were both creationist, so atheist should not twist this discovery.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Niceman4u(m): 11:46pm On Feb 11, 2016
tasceige:
Where are the physicist nah.. They should explain this thing to us jawe instead of burning mb searching series of blogs.

the significance:
1) It will help scientists to study the universe in a better dimension.
2) It will help to explain the big bang theory, ie the origin of the universe, wit the detection of gravitational wave, the workings nd origin of the universe will be revealed.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by IJOBA2: 11:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
brunofarad:
Remember my lessons in EINSTEIN'S Relativity of TIME,SPACE co ordinates in a universal reference frame...back then at OAU ile ife

If you don't understand the importance of this discovery , think of it this way

There are different waves like

SoUND WAVES
LIGHT WAVES,under ELECTROMAGNECTIC WAVES

WATER WAVES
TIDAL WAVES
VIBRATIONAL WAVES ETC
Now

GRAVITATIONAL WAVES

Just like electromagnectic waves propagation makes it possible for us to send and receive radio signals,radar signals,television signals and even make and receive calls.

Gravitational waves propagation ill make it possible for objects to suspend in the vacumn or air without hitting the earth grin
It has the potential to transmit and receive matter.
Just like e can transmit and receive sound and light signals..grin

The potentials are inumerable tho

Physics is wonderful

Nice one.

Big up einstein
The greatest scientist ever

#PHYSICSmakesMENwise

Are you building?

CLICK HERE
who was the founder of physics
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by erusen: 11:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
CzarChris:
True bro, but for me the greatest genius of all time was Leonardo di vinici, he was hundreds of years ahead of his time.
The big bang theory was actually postulated by Georges Lemaitre whose theory Einstein said "his maths was correct but his physics is abominable" note: they were both creationist, so atheist should not twist this discovery.
I just dey happy,my atheist friends in other social media don run mad
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by CzarChris(m): 11:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
MathsChic:

It would take a really long while. Gravitational waves are very, very weak. Almost indiscernible. It took on upgrade on those interferometers to detect the weak energy from the biggest collision that could ever produce gravitational waves.
Agreed, but let's look at its application using a hovercraft as a case in point. Hovercrafts use thick trampoline like sheets to prevent escape of accumulated air so as not to waste energy in generating more. Now a little manipulation of gravitational waves can remove that bulky exterior and the craft can float comfortably. So in my opinion much isn't needed, remember how man tends to misuse technology manipulate it too much and our earth's gravitational field is in danger.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 12:11am On Feb 12, 2016
brunofarad:

Just like electromagnectic waves propagation makes it possible for us to send and receive radio signals,radar signals,television signals and even make and receive calls.

Gravitational waves propagation ill make it possible for objects to suspend in the vacumn or air without hitting the earth grin
It has the potential to transmit and receive matter.
Just like e can transmit and receive sound and light signals..grin

[/url]

Wrong!!!!

Being able to detect gravitational wave is a far cry from generating them
Or even manipulating them in the lab, literally no device exist to manipulate or generate gravity, once we can harness the quanta of gravity(graviton) then we can start to look at its application

For now its all just validation of theories

What i really want to know is if these means that gravitons exist, just like photons for light
I mean, graviton is still a hypothetical particle or?
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 12:13am On Feb 12, 2016
check my siggy
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by chidinwachukwu(m): 12:14am On Feb 12, 2016
Look Religion,and Science are the same.Reason Science says ''Energy can neither be created nor destroyed'',So the Energies that are in Existence who created them?,Now the scientist said the Gravitational force was created by two black Holes that combined together,which means the bible was correct in saying that in the beginning their was only darkness,before God said let their be Light.
Infact I believe,their are Living Energies,and Non Living Energies,and the two can transfer into each other,but will always maintain balance.
Religion and Science are saying the same thing.look very close,and u will see it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 12:19am On Feb 12, 2016
Waoh maybe this will help us to do correct sportin waves

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 12, 2016
chidinwachukwu:
Look Religion,and Science are the same.Reason Science says ''Energy can neither be created nor destroyed'',So the Energies that are in Existence who created them?,Now the scientist said the Gravitational force was created by two black Holes that combined together,which means the bible was correct in saying that in the beginning their was only darkness,before God said let their be Light.
Infact I believe,their are Living Energies,and Non Living Energies,and the two can transfer into each other,but will always maintain balance.
Religion and Science are saying the same thing.look very close,and u will see it

Religion and science are two cousins that can never see each other eye to eye
But i still believe in GOD the father almighty.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by ribbit: 12:29am On Feb 12, 2016
JUST AMAZINGGGGG
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by ribbit: 12:33am On Feb 12, 2016
HiggsBoson:
Can it be manipulated?
like every other waves.that should be possible
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Herrmes: 12:38am On Feb 12, 2016
Bullshit, Bullshit, Bullshit.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by dabosuker(m): 12:39am On Feb 12, 2016
I wait for the Validation of Worm Holes smiley.............THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS...........
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by ribbit: 12:43am On Feb 12, 2016
BrutusOj:
Very soon our lazy ' copy and paste ' naija Profs. wu start troubling students with how to prove an equation. relating the speed of gravitational waves and speed of electromagnetic waves. Only theory we r good in here. when are we gonna have a research centre like LIGO mentioned above?
yeah that would only happen when your government stops using those billions to send some zombies to saudi arabia and jerusalem which do not benefit us in any way and start using the money to build research facilities for the very few bright and curious minds we have in the biggest black nation on earth.

and also when your profs embrace science in the real sense of it not christianological science.

3 Likes

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by ribbit: 12:45am On Feb 12, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
Before your internet routes through your worthless satellites in space existed - The all seeing eyes who existed and lives forever before the ancient of days made it possible , just to enable you appreciate it ,but again what have you used it for ?
Diseases you can't cure ravages you until you piss in your pants and and shake with horror at the mention of an ordinary disease? Yet you don't get the message .
We will log in here to educate you until you acquire true knowledge and wisdom and not what you've been running with for ages with no answer to your ultimate question.
stop working on farming ganja. it's messing up Your brain.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 12, 2016
Wow I did a summer intern there.
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by afoobabs(m): 2:05am On Feb 12, 2016
Though am nt science student but with this we can manipulate gravity force of gravity ensures that everytin that goes up comes down with this discovery nw i think for example if plane develop any fault in the space it can be made to float on air instead of crashing down. Just my thought though

1 Like

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Likitamc(m): 2:36am On Feb 12, 2016
Well mr. Dekatron , this discovery in no way plays down on creationism. It rather gives credence to the Creator. Consider this scripture: Psl 19:1-4 "The HEAVENS declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork.
Day after day pours forth speech, and night after night shows forth knowledge.
There is no speech nor spoken word (from the stars); their voice is not heard.
Yet their voice (in evidence) goes out through all the earth, their sayings to the end of the word." (Amp Vs)
by this I hope you understand that science is a discovery into what God has made.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Likitamc(m): 2:42am On Feb 12, 2016
Dekatron:
Lalasticlala, Seun, mynd44, this is a scientific milestone that even Mark Zuckerberg shared on his Facebook wall. . . Pity its not on FP yet. . . Since it wasn't Tonto dikeh or Ice prince or Olamide.

@Op :- You beat me to it.

Very soon, even a 13 year old would reject creationism. . . After 100 years that Einstein already hypothesized it, we just discovered them. . . Hmmm

#ScienceIsGod #ShameOnAfrica #EinsteinNailsItAgain #ItWillNeverMakeFP. #DeathToCreationism

Well mr. Dekatron , this discovery in no way plays down on creationism. It rather gives credence to the Creator. Consider this scripture: Psl 19:1-4 "The HEAVENS declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork.
Day after day pours forth speech, and night after night shows forth knowledge.
There is no speech nor spoken word (from the stars); their voice is not heard.
Yet their voice (in evidence) goes out through all the earth, their sayings to the end of the word." (Amp Vs)
by this I hope you understand that science is a discovery into what God has made.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by sukkot: 3:01am On Feb 12, 2016
its the truman show all over again. the nephilims are manipulating the electromagnetic frequencies of the universe to create a gravitational pull on the souls ( which souls are electromagnetic frequencies ) of the rejected into the bottomless pit of wormholes and black-holes. we are on the verge of a major dimension shift is why this has been discovered at this point in time in human history. things are getting ready to change. some souls are going to be alchemically enhanced to higher dimensions while some souls will be gravitationally pulled into wormholes. see, the bible is a scientific book but only for those who can see the esoteric. this is why planet 9x is currently lurking in the trans-neptunian region awaiting entry into the solar system. that planet 9x is residence of the nephilims. they are here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kn--D68p8g
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 3:01am On Feb 12, 2016
Thank God o, they have found this thing...now the price of garri will start going down for market grin

1 Like

Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by Nobody: 3:04am On Feb 12, 2016
sukkot:
its the truman show all over again. the nephilims are manipulating the electromagnetic frequencies of the universe to create a gravitational pull on the souls ( which souls are electromagnetic frequencies ) of the rejected into the bottomless pit of wormholes and black-holes. we are on the verge of a major dimension shift is why this has been discovered at this point in time in human history. things are getting ready to change. some souls are going to be alchemically enhanced to higher dimensions while some souls will be gravitationally pulled into wormholes. see, the bible is a scientific book but only for those who can see the esoteric
mashed epa is equal one kuli...but mashed epas is kuli kuli ad infinitum...theory of kuli reverse
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by sukkot: 3:04am On Feb 12, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
mashed epa is equal one kuli...but mashed epas is kuli kuli ad infinitum...theory of kuli reverse
requote it again. i upgraded the info
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by 49cents(m): 3:17am On Feb 12, 2016
Dekatron:
Lalasticlala, Seun, mynd44, this is a scientific milestone that even Mark Zuckerberg shared on his Facebook wall. . . Pity its not on FP yet. . . Since it wasn't Tonto dikeh or Ice prince or Olamide.

@Op :- You beat me to it.

Very soon, even a 13 year old would reject creationism. . . After 100 years that Einstein already hypothesized it, we just discovered them. . . Hmmm

#ScienceIsGod #ShameOnAfrica #EinsteinNailsItAgain #ItWillNeverMakeFP. #DeathToCreationism

Death to Creationsim

I once had my doubts quite recently about that until I understood that even the smartphone I use in typing this sh*t was CREATED by some people from Canada(look at how certain I am off Canada exists even though I have never been their)....I know this indirectly through others who live there; it's reasonable to admit infirect knowledge just as in the case of faith
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by taurus25(m): 3:18am On Feb 12, 2016
predictions turning reality

big bang!! were getting closer

worm holes ure next, we must find you

love science
Re: 100 Years On, Gravitational Waves Confirmed In Breakthrough Research by taurus25(m): 3:23am On Feb 12, 2016
Being able to detect gravitational waves enables astronomers finally to probe what they call "dark" Universe - the majority part of the cosmos that is invisible to the light telescopes in use today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasa Testing ‘AIR Taxi’ That Shuttles You Across Cities In Minutes(Pix, Video) / Shark Bites Man As He Tried To Kiss It / Olawale John Olukunle, FUTA Researchers Develop Water HYACINTH Harvester

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.