Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,303 members, 7,792,612 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome (50166 Views)

Open Letter To Second Class And Third Class Graduates / The Plight Of Second Class Lower in Nigeria / First And Second Job Through Nairaland, Resume Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by lordally(m): 12:39pm On Feb 11, 2019
kroger:
I graduated with the least of grades "PASS" from one of the federal universities, not because i was a numskull but because i did not join the band wagon of the "sorters". More so i was financially inept which resulted in missing some exams, but after 4 years the war was over. With my kind of grade the future was deem for me with no hope. I took some computer programming courses to add to my CV i thought it would be of help. Alas four years on no single interview, i was roaming the streets without hope

God finally answered my call and i travel to the united states for greener pastures, i enrolled for a six months IT course and after completion i received my first phone interview from one of the telecom company and later on skype interview. after three days i was called for a one on one interview at their corporate office. It was straight forward with three interviewers, they asked about my skills and what i could do , which i told them with great confidence. A system was brought in and i was asked to configure bla bla bla which i did. To my amazement none asked a question pertaining my degree what they where hammering on was on the job.

After completion i was given the job instantly to resume the following Monday with a well furnished office and a very good pay. Right Now i am the manager of my team of which i developed a standard software for the company that remains number one.

My point is why is Nigeria hell bent on class of degree rather what the individual has to offer.There are lots of talented 3rd class and pass job seekers out there if given a chance will perform far better. I think this is also one of the bane that is making the Nigerian economy a far cry, it hurts seeing the lower class graduates not given a chance. I weep for Nigeria. I recently sent my resume to one of the Nigerian job boards just to test if i will be contacted but no call as usual maybe because of my lower degree grin . Nigeria has a very long way to go, even the oyibos that taught us the system isn't even using it its just so annoying.

For all those with a lower degree believe in yourself, a paper should not define your worth but rather look inward and surely you will conquer.

Pardon my English and thanks for reading

This stuff still inspires me!!! more Grace Baba!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by lordally(m): 7:04am On Mar 20, 2019
I still read this Stuff everyday..... Kroger Baba I hope you update this Thread constantly ...
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by lordally(m): 8:10am On Mar 20, 2019
chynergy1:
kudos, i went for a master degree abroad,
came back, hardly any better job in naija.
today i am made with a skill i learnt from the adventure.

my pals will soon smile when i am reader to coach others wink wink wink wink wink wink

please what Skill is that??
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by lordally(m): 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2019
euromilion:

My friend,
Heaven help those who help themselves,this your kind of write up makes me really angry.
Why with all that kind of educations you still don't know what to do?.

I left Nigeria through no help from no one with only primary 3 level of education.Today the sky is my limit.

If truly you can do all you said here.my man you're in demand over here.

Better find your way out ASAP o.

May the force be with you.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by generationz(f): 7:02am On Mar 26, 2019
banmee:

Bros, the truth is, most people all over the world don't know how to apply for jobs, especially in Nigeria. It does not matter what degree you have. Employers, even in Nigeria, are mostly interested in what you can do. Just like the OP, i graduated with a pass. And to make it worse, i graduated with a HD degree. The difference between a HD and HND is that when you graduate, you will not be allowed to serve in the NYSC. I got a pass not because i was dull but i just was not interested in the way the academic system is set up in Nigeria. My first passion was football which i was extremely good at. I was actually called up twice to screen for the under 16 and 21, but alas i did not make it. Back in the day, if you played for Abuede/Osjack youth teams, you most likely would get a call up. Anyway, what made me stand out was my love for things that most Nigerians at the time were not interested in. The way people communicate with one another and languages. I also loved comic books, video games, movies, novels etc. Armed with all these tiny skills and experiences, i could hold a highly intellectual conversation with almost anyone. My first job after school was in a marketing firm. I do not have a marketing degree. The HR rep liked my vocabulary and the way i presented my arguments. We talked forever and mostly not about the job. I could tell he was at odds with the fact that i had a pass and did not have an NYSC certificate. They gave me a chance anyway and i've never looked back since. Part of my job was mainly to interact with high end potential clients, especially expatriates. In no time, i was already a supervisor and later a manager. I didn't realize it then, but employers don't really care that much about your degree. They care about you, your experiences and what you can bring to the table. Most people in Nigeria are as dull as a blunt knife. They cannot hold a conversation even if it is to save their lives. Have you ever had a conversation with a Nollywood addict? O'boy, it can be very exasperating. What am i even saying? Have you read some of the comments here on Nairaland? With a pass, i've worked with BAT Nigeria, NBC, Insight communications, etc Focusing on degrees is half the battle. Develop yourself and the sky is the limit.

where you able to get a degree Later?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by generationz(f): 7:33am On Mar 26, 2019
sorextee:
Guy, don't say what u don't know.. except if u went to a private uni. In my skool, if u like, be smarter than Adam Smith. . U write ur exam, and u re very sure of what u wrote.. result comes out, u see a D or E..

In my department, it's ur course mate that is marking ur script, just becos he's an errand boy to d lecturer.. they tell u to pay 30k before they give u B.. I had missing script twice in CSC 200.. and missing script is same as carry over.. u write a letter to d skool senate, it's d same evil lecturers u see there..
let me just stop here.. our education system is messed up

which school is that?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Qpearl: 11:42am On Jul 10, 2019
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Simcha: 5:49pm On Jul 28, 2019
kroger:
I graduated with the least of grades "PASS" from one of the federal universities, not because i was a numskull but because i did not join the band wagon of the "sorters". More so i was financially inept which resulted in missing some exams, but after 4 years the war was over. With my kind of grade the future was deem for me with no hope. I took some computer programming courses to add to my CV i thought it would be of help. Alas four years on no single interview, i was roaming the streets without hope

God finally answered my call and i travel to the united states for greener pastures, i enrolled for a six months IT course and after completion i received my first phone interview from one of the telecom company and later on skype interview. after three days i was called for a one on one interview at their corporate office. It was straight forward with three interviewers, they asked about my skills and what i could do , which i told them with great confidence. A system was brought in and i was asked to configure bla bla bla which i did. To my amazement none asked a question pertaining my degree what they where hammering on was on the job.

After completion i was given the job instantly to resume the following Monday with a well furnished office and a very good pay. Right Now i am the manager of my team of which i developed a standard software for the company that remains number one.

My point is why is Nigeria hell bent on class of degree rather what the individual has to offer.There are lots of talented 3rd class and pass job seekers out there if given a chance will perform far better. I think this is also one of the bane that is making the Nigerian economy a far cry, it hurts seeing the lower class graduates not given a chance. I weep for Nigeria. I recently sent my resume to one of the Nigerian job boards just to test if i will be contacted but no call as usual maybe because of my lower degree grin . Nigeria has a very long way to go, even the oyibos that taught us the system isn't even using it its just so annoying.

For all those with a lower degree believe in yourself, a paper should not define your worth but rather look inward and surely you will conquer.

Brother, I got a US fiancee. Although we've never met in person but soon we will. What are the steps to become a worker in the IT industry. I got a zero knowledge about programming and stuffs but I love to browse the web. What trainings will you suggest I do as newbie here before relocation? I mean trainings that's gonna be presentable at the embassy interview, so that will show I can provide for my family after marriage. I'm a versatile person, I believe I can make it in the IT field. I don't wanna be a nurse as every Nigerian immigrant are becoming so in the US( I'm currently 100lvl pharmacy student in a federal university) I'm studying that course because medical courses are mostly the only marketable professions in Nigeria unlike in the US where there many opportunities.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by kroger: 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2019
Simcha:

Brother, I got a US fiancee. Although we've never met in person but soon we will. What are the steps to become a worker in the IT industry. I got a zero knowledge about programming and stuffs but I love to browse the web. What trainings will you suggest I do as newbie here before relocation? I mean trainings that's gonna be presentable at the embassy interview, so that will show I can provide for my family after marriage. I'm a versatile person, I believe I can make it in the IT field. I don't wanna be a nurse as every Nigerian immigrant are becoming so in the US( I'm currently 100lvl pharmacy student in a federal university) I'm studying that course because medical courses are mostly the only marketable professions in Nigeria unlike in the US where there many opportunities.

Hey bro, i will advice you start from the basics of computer i.e A+ and CCNA, it will be very handy when you finally move down to the US and you can move into other IT fields like Network engineer, database administrator, cloud engineer or cyber security which is my major. Nursing in the US is so over rated, IT is your best bet when you move down, you can take courses online and get certified with lots of materials online the sky will be your starting point..
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Simcha: 8:15pm On Jul 29, 2019
kroger:

Hey bro, i will advice you start from the basics of computer i.e A+ and CCNA, it will be very handy when you finally move down to the US and you can move into other IT fields like Network engineer, database administrator, cloud engineer or cyber security which is my major. Nursing in the US is so over rated, IT is your best bet when you move down, you can take courses online and get certified with lots of materials online the sky will be your starting point..

Thanks so much. What apps and ebooks would you suggest I download on my system for learning? And educative websites you will recommend?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by laudate: 10:38pm On Jul 30, 2019
SaiBuharii:
The reason you finished with a pass is not because you refused to sort, it's because of you refused to sit down attend classes and read.

We are not talking of 2.2 or 2.1 here, you got a pass man...which is the worst available..

*Just to correct that assertion.
Don't be funny. Didn't you read about where he said he had financial difficulties and was unable to attend some classes?

The course system is used in Nigeria.

Continuous assessment and attendance carries 40% while exams are 60%.

Now, if he was unable to make up the attendance & continuous assessment bit, don't you realise it would be difficult to get top marks in the entire course?

He would only have the remaining 60% marks to be awarded in the exams, to play with.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by laudate: 10:55pm On Jul 30, 2019
Atlantian:
There is a huge probability that you would have gotten a great job in Nigeria if you actually equipped yourself with the several IT certifications including the US 6 month IT course certification as well as experience you garnered if you applied. I am also 100% sure that you would NOT have gotten that job if you applied with only your 3rd Class Nigerian Degree.

So, when you come here to castigate the system, understand that the job you got there, had nothing to do with your 3rd class, and for sure, that cant give you a job in US.

Best bet for people who graduated with not-so-good level is to be employers, and I have seen so many drop outs and 3rd class/pass graduates becoming super rich, because they knew their degree is not worth presenting, the only thing they have left to wager life is their will power and hard and smartwork.

Do not misrepresent facts based on your feelings.

He is NOT misrepresenting facts. He is merely sharing his experience from his perspective. What is wrong with that? And how can you castigate him, by accusing him of misrepresentation? shocked

I have met Nigerian HR managers who would overlook professional certifications, only to continue harping on the class of your degree or your low grades.

The interview I went through in order to land the first job I got with a multinational firm in Nigeria, was conducted by an expatriate. wink

The man was only interested in the IT skills I had, and was not bothered about my first degree or what class of degree I had. I was more interested in showing him my top grades via my valuable degrees, but he ignored it. sad

Ironically, the IT certificate he relied upon to hire me, was issued at a free training course sponsored by an NGO, which I had attended about a month before the interview. undecided

There were no HR softwares for sifting through CVs in those days, so I guess I was lucky.

To cut the long story short, I was hired, paid a great salary with lots of benefits, and ended up staying there for 4 years before moving to a telecoms firm. sad
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by laudate: 11:19pm On Jul 30, 2019
Bollove:
ma bro I was pissed.
I had 2'2 because I was playful in Uni. it was in 300L I realised how much I f-up. Immediately after NYSC I got 4 job offers including being retained where I served as well as a foremost bank. All because I had a very Professional mouth and attitude.....

Imagine I have First class, I would have fly higher .... The next thing for me now is to change my class of degree cuz I am still young to allow it to hold me back for the rest of ma life.

I felt so pissed when a FC doesn't get job, instead of u to intimidate HR, you are now the one that is getting intimidated by them. How the mighty has fallen.

since you have Ur FC already, many opportunity lies out there for you when you are ready to grab them....

Contact Jarus(A Nairalander), he is a career manager, he can help u articulate your skills and make u ready for out there.

You people know how to make unecessary noise. cheesy A first class graduate fresh from school with no work experience, will intimidate a seasoned HR manager that has seen candidates come and go, with all sorts of degrees? Wait first, which planet are you living on? shocked
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by laudate: 11:21pm On Jul 30, 2019
Samtobh:
Intimidate HR? I can't even remember how many months I've roamed the streets of Lagos and Ibadan.The HR you come in contact with is the one you can intimidate.Luck might have been on your side bro, its easier to crucify me as if I don't have the never-say-die spirit.Situations like this make it seem as if someone doesn't know anything at all.Sometimes, those HRs might even be scared of the class of degree, hence, they just strike out one's chances. I hope someday, luck shines on me and God favours me too.
I once attended an interview, the HR personnel interviewing me got ''intimidated'' and concluded I was too big for the job(even after I pretended I didn't know a lot of their stuff), another one said the firm can't pay someone like me, and so on and so forth
Your time will come and you will soon have a breakthrough. Keep the faith. And stay hopeful.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by DexterousOne(m): 12:06am On Aug 17, 2019
kroger:

Thank God for your life

I'm sure your pass degree must have been in part, due to circumstances beyond your control, not because you are dumb.

You are favoured
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by kroger: 2:14am On Aug 17, 2019
DexterousOne:

Thank God for your life

I'm sure your pass degree must have been in part, due to circumstances beyond your control, not because you are dumb.

You are favoured

You are very correct sir, Nobody is dumb you only need the right environment to function. The truth is in America there is an enabling environment where you can function and showcase your God given talent..
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Joekole: 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2019
kroger:

You are very correct sir, Nobody is dumb you only need the right environment to function. The truth is in America there is an enabling environment where you can function and showcase your God given talent..

Hi bro, I've sent u a PM. I need your advice on something.

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by kroger: 3:09pm On Dec 06, 2019
Samtobh:
Nice write-up OP.
Well, your assertion may not be so true about the class of degree discrimination.
I've applied to more than 500 jobs online with a CV always restructured, well-furnished and updated. Ye, no single invite.I've even veered off my field into some areas I consider can boost one's chances but dear, the same issue keep coming up.
To add up, I have a diploma in computer engineering, learnt HTML/JavaScript/CSS programming, HPLC/GC-MS/AAS analytical methods, and possess a first class degree.
Feb.14th will make it 2 years I did my POP,still in my parent's House.
So, my dear, God blessed you at the appointed time.

Hey bro it's about 3 years since you wrote this I hope you have secured a job?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 20, 2020
kroger:

Hey bro it's about 3 years since you wrote this I hope you have secured a job?
Bro check your pm.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 3:00am On Oct 11, 2020
generationz:

where you able to get a degree Later?

Yup......
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Iykolysis: 11:23am On Oct 11, 2020
kroger:

Your command of English is good, no appology.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 3:29pm On Oct 11, 2020
banmee:

Yup......
. Greetings Sir
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 11:14pm On Oct 11, 2020
Jaqenhghar:
. Greetings Sir

Sup bro. Long time how you been?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 2:27am On Oct 12, 2020
banmee:

Sup bro. Long time how you been?
Ive been good. How have you been. I was beginning to think you had left us for good.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Ive been good. How have you been. I was beginning to think you had left us for good.

I just tire to de educate s.tu.pid people. How married life? You still de that hell hole?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 2:52pm On Oct 12, 2020
banmee:

I just tire to de educate s.tu.pid people. How married life? You still de that hell hole?
LOL. I don run leave the hell hole tey tey. Married life is good brah. Thank you. I keep marking reference to some wisdom you put up here
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

LOL. I don run leave the hell hole tey tey. Married life is good brah. Thank you. I keep marking reference to some wisdom you put up here

Nice one bro. I'm really happy for you.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 8:43pm On Oct 12, 2020
banmee:

Nice one bro. I'm really happy for you.
Thanks brah. Good to hear from you. How is family doing? Last we spoke there were plans to move to other things. Hope it all worked out well.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 1:49am On Oct 13, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Thanks brah. Good to hear from you. How is family doing? Last we spoke there were plans to move to other things. Hope it all worked out well.

Plans changed bro. I got promoted and long throat grab me. Any rug rats yet?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 2:04am On Oct 13, 2020
banmee:

Plans changed bro. I got promoted and long throat grab me. Any rug rats yet?
LOL. Congrats bro that's great news. Oh yes I have one now. A little girl. How are your own troops doing?
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by banmee(m): 2:50am On Oct 13, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

LOL. Congrats bro that's great news. Oh yes I have one now. A little girl. How are your own troops doing?

E hen. God catch you. Baby girl abi? Time to pay for all your sins. Lol. Seriously though, congratulations. My boys are doing fine. The eldest is 6 feet tall, smart as hell and just turned 16. He will be enlisting in the air force come graduation next year. Dude wants to fly jets. So proud of him.
Re: Nigeria And Her First And Second Class Job Syndrome by Jaqenhghar: 8:27am On Oct 13, 2020
banmee:

E hen. God catch you. Baby girl abi? Time to pay for all your sins. Lol. Seriously though, congratulations. My boys are doing fine. The eldest is 6 feet tall, smart as hell and just turned 16. He will be enlisting in the air force come graduation next year. Dude wants to fly jets. So proud of him.
LOL. Fortunately my crimes no too plenty. Your son has really taken after you men but 6 ft at the age of 16 na basketball for sure pass grin. No mind me. So will he be joining the academy or how does that work?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Shortlisted Candidates For EFCC Graduate Cadre / Top 5 States In Nigeria With High Employment Opportunity - Careerportal.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.