Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,756 members, 7,802,312 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures (62542 Views)

In Need Of Suppliers Of Yellow Maize For Animal Feed In Large Quantity / Cross Rivers State "Rice City" Project In Pictures / Now That There Is No Imported Fish Feed In Nigeria . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Tefflon(m): 4:22pm On Nov 08, 2018
Pls How Can Black Soldier Fly Be Obtained In Nigeria?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by divineace: 5:57am On Jan 18, 2019
i dont know but i see their lavae in molases
may be they are especially attracted to molasses.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by SmartFarming: 10:39am On May 03, 2019
FarmTech:
With the high price of animal feed, growing maggots is beginning to make sense. Maggots come from flies. When flies lay eggs, the eggs pass through several stages before they turn into flies. One of the stages is the maggot stage.
You can use the maggot to feed fish, chickens and other animals. I’m targeting fish and chickens but I’ll be starting with chickens.

Growing The Maggots
To grow maggot, you need cheap inputs like manure, kitchen waste and sawdust or rice hull. I mixed rice hull with manure (my layers’ droppings) in a bowl (let’s call this growing bowl) and added just enough water to make it moist but not wet. I then mix thoroughly and placed some kitchen waste on this mixture to attract a lot of flies. You can use soup, fruits or anything that will attract a lot of flies. I used my dog’s leftover garri balls mixed with soup.

Growing larvae for protein looks like an attractive proposition.

The larvae can also be used to compost faeces and manage smell from animal farms.

What are your results as you feed them to the chickens?
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Elijahrona(m): 5:37pm On Feb 02, 2020
FarmTech:

Just thinking – In a war situation, isn’t this a very good source of super cheap protein?

Much more practical details here: Growing Maggot for Animal Feed: My Little Experiment

Thank you so much. I've been looking for such an article to do a school project
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2020
SmartFarming:

Growing larvae for protein looks like an attractive proposition.

The larvae can also be used to compost faeces and manage smell from animal farms.

What are your results as you feed them to the chickens?

I have not experimented with this yet. I'm busy with crop farming for now.

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2020
Elijahrona:

Thank you so much. I've been looking for such an article to do a school project
Wlcm. It would be nice if you update us on the project.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Elijahrona(m): 10:45pm On Feb 03, 2020
FarmTech:

Wlcm. It would be nice if you update us on the project.

Okay then, I surely will...
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Mrkellz: 2:21am On Mar 10, 2020
Such a lovely thread. Its really simple and wonderful. Infact, its a gift to farmers. Keep it up @op
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by FarmTech(m): 10:09am On Mar 10, 2020
Mrkellz:
Such a lovely thread. Its really simple and wonderful. Infact, its a gift to farmers. Keep it up @op
Thanks.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by alimology: 10:42am On Feb 01, 2021
Learn how to produce black soldier fly larvae for your birds and fish. Contact 07035418409, on whatsapp
You can also join our WhatsApp group here
https:///ItvFn7Lu03fLj4rvSVrbrG

1 Like

Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Swiftgrp: 4:14am On Jan 06
FarmTech:
With the high price of animal feed, growing maggots is beginning to make sense. Maggots come from flies. When flies lay eggs, the eggs pass through several stages before they turn into flies. One of the stages is the maggot stage.
You can use the maggot to feed fish, chickens and other animals. I’m targeting fish and chickens but I’ll be starting with chickens.

Growing The Maggots
To grow maggot, you need cheap inputs like manure, kitchen waste and sawdust or rice hull. I mixed rice hull with manure (my layers’ droppings) in a bowl (let’s call this growing bowl) and added just enough water to make it moist but not wet. I then mix thoroughly and placed some kitchen waste on this mixture to attract a lot of flies. You can use soup, fruits or anything that will attract a lot of flies. I used my dog’s leftover garri balls mixed with soup.
Bump.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Swiftgrp: 4:18am On Jan 06
FarmTech:
After the flies have finished laying their eggs. cover the bowl with something and place under a shaded area. Protect it from ants, lizards, chickens etc. I used chicken wire to cover them and finally cover with zinc. The chicken wire will prevent lizards and the zinc will stop chickens. I placed the growing bowls on a raised platform. The little kerosene I sprayed on the platform will stop ants. In few hours time you’ll see some small maggots. Leave them for 5 days before you harvest.

Harvesting
Spread net over a bowl (harvesting bowl).
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Swiftgrp: 4:22am On Jan 06
FarmTech:
I’m looking forward to do this in a larger scale. Some people travel all the way to Songhai farm, Benin Republic to learn this among other things.
Now I’ve tried it and saw the harvest, I strongly believed it will be profitable. Fly is free and everywhere.
Impressive.
Re: Growing Maggot For Animal Feed in Pictures by Swiftgrp: 4:23am On Jan 06
FarmTech:

Just thinking – In a war situation, isn’t this a very good source of super cheap protein?

Much more practical details here: Growing Maggot for Animal Feed: My Little Experiment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goat Farming Business: Goat Farming - Rearing And Selling Made Easy / What My Fish Farm & Fishing Occupation Gave Me / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.