Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? (1879 Views)

How To Alleviate Menstrual Cramps With Yoga Exercises [PICTURES And VIDEO] / Who Can Help With The Most Effective Medicine For Intestinal Worms? / Dysmenorrhea a.k.a Menstrual Pain or Cramps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by ToddTerry: 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2006
thank you oooo i have tried bufrin ax and paracetmal xj but no work. please tell me.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by PTBNaija(f): 8:36am On Nov 21, 2006
For cramps, one thing your should do is exercise like go jogging, it helps to ease the muscle contractions and relax you. And stretching your abdominal area as well will work for the same reason. If you're just around the house and you still feel the cramps, try putting a hot compress (like a warm towel) over that area to relax your muscles. I like to buy the heat compresses from Thermacare. My mom would use prune juice as well, but I mean, it's going to feel worse before it gets better.

But if all that fails, you can always just take a medication like Midol of ibprofin (sp?) or something. I hear those work well.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 11:18am On Oct 31, 2007
PMS is a bit complex in terms of cure.
I did a paper on it.

Anyone wanting information about can mail me or something, so i'd forward the paper, would have attached it here but I think its larger than the acceptable size.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by SwtNsoFLyy(f): 1:10am On Nov 01, 2007

800 mg Ibuprofen (Motrin) works the BEST for any lady who may have these problems.

love & light,

Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 7:39am On Nov 01, 2007
No it does not, I know of someone where no drug works for her.

There exist very extreme pms and people react differently to drugs.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by almondjoy(f): 8:07am On Nov 01, 2007
Don't wait till the last minute to deal with cramps.  Start working on your body 2 days before your monthlies, if you are "regularly timed" every month--or at the slightest sign of imminence. You suffer less.  Waiting till the end only increases your threshold of pain to unmanageable levels.  Your "endorphins" (natural sensory pain killers) have worked overtime by now and are inconsolable. Nip it in the bud!!! Just one "push"----- from discomfort-----reach for the pain killers.

Hot water bottle in the lower abdomen and lower back. Or sit in a tub of warm water for about 15 minutes

Hot tea or coffee

Drink lots of liquids and avoid constipation/High fiber diet--Using the bathroom frequently helps ease tension

Eat less chocolate/sweets---------avoid hyperosmolarity(too much concentration of particles) in the blood at this time. 

Birth control pills.  Regulates hormonal imbalance---Last resort.  Documented incidence of "less cramps" with BCPs

Pain medications----------- 2 Anaprox or Aleve every 12 hours religiously with one-time dose of 400-800mg of Ibuprophen/Motrin as an anti-coagulant (blood thinner) to make bleeding lighter and with less blood clots

Eat light---no heavy meals,--helps to prevent further vasoconstriction (narrowing) of the blood vessels around the reproductive organs.  You feel less bloated.

Avoid stress and exercise more!!!!
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by tglaz(m): 7:13pm On Nov 01, 2007
worthwhile education.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by Islander(f): 2:08am On Nov 02, 2007
Menstrual cramps can result from a number of reasons. Endometriosis (benign tumors) as well as Fibriods are two known contributors to this menacing situation.

Birth control pills is one proven effective form of medication that can remedied this problem. Aleve and other pain relievers can also help.

Exercising as well as a well balanced diet are also recommended,

Ladies who suffer from this problem I honestly feel your pain and discomfort. I am one of you,
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by almondjoy(f): 2:10am On Nov 02, 2007
Islander:

Menstrual cramps can result from a number of reasons. Endometriosis (benign tumors) as well as Fibriods are two known contributors to this menacing situation.

Birth control pills is one proven effective form of medication that can remedied this problem. Aleve and other pain relievers can also help.

Exercising as well as a well balanced diet are also recommended,

Ladies who suffer from this problem I honestly feel your pain and discomfort. I am one of you,

No wonder--you are always fiesty!!!!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Have more sex too!!!! cheesy

Yes, birth control pills work wonders for cramps.  As for those fibroids---hysterectomy is the only answer if one does not wish to have kids or is done having kids. No one should have to suffer from those demons.  Unfortunately, they are very common now in even teenagers.  I think diet has something to do with it.
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by Islander(f): 2:29am On Nov 02, 2007
almondjoy:

No wonder--you are always fiesty!!!!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Have more sex too!!!! cheesy
Yes, birth control pills work wonders for cramps.  As for those fibroids---hysterectomy is the only answer if one does not wish to have kids or is done having kids. No one should have to suffer from those demons.  Unfortunately, they are very common now in even teenagers.  I think diet has something to do with it.

wink wink wink wink wink,  I am not fiesty, am as cool as a cucumber, well until I am rubbed the wrong way,  tongue tongue

Yea seriously though the BC pills are the best cure, They work magic,

Also since I was advised to change my diet, that too has proven effective. The food here sucks ( too much hormones) thus it messes with our system terribly.

My GYN also recommended taking warm baths during that time. The heat serves as a type of therapy,
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 10:30am On Nov 02, 2007
Birth Control Pills
Yaz, a new type of birth control pill, has been shown to be effective in reducing the physical and emotional symptoms of PMDD. It's the first oral contraceptive to be approved for this use.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00134.html

There have been treatments offered by gynecologists such as the birth control pill, and that is a no-no. that is not going to treat PMS. It will make it worse, and we've seen that at the clinic. Women have been put on the pill by their doctors and come in saying they were crazy and out-of-control. The pill is another method that gives women more estrogen dominance. She doesn't need that. You can keep giving a woman more estrogen until she becomes crazy. Then it becomes so out-of-control that she might need to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital, and we've had that happen. [We love to hear this affirmed!]
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/drphil_anderson.html

excerpt from my paper on PMS
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 10:33am On Nov 02, 2007
I think i'm just going to copy and paste from my paper . . . note that it studies extreme cases which by the looks of it no one has here . . .

What is PMS?
Premenstrual Syndrome: PMS is a disorder characterized by a set of hormonal changes that trigger disruptive symptoms in a significant number of women for up to two weeks prior to menstruation. Of the estimated 40 million suffers, more than 5 million require medical treatment for marked mood and behavioral changes. Often symptoms tend to taper off with menstruation and women remain symptom-free until the two weeks or so prior to the next menstrual period. These regularly recurring symptoms from ovulation until menses typify PMS, premenstrual syndrome. [1]

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) refers to uncomfortable physical and mental symptoms that occur before the onset of the woman’s menstrual period. Estimates of affected women range from 40 to 80%. About 5% of women experience symptoms that cause them severe impairment. PMS may start at any time during the years that a woman menstruates. The peak occurrence is in the 20s and 30s. Once PMS begins, the symptoms often continue until menopause. [2]

1. http://www.usdoctor.com/pms.htm
2. http://www.ncpamd.com/PMS.htm
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 10:41am On Nov 02, 2007
[size=14pt]Natural Progesterone – The Cure We Need?[/size]

Synthetic Progesterones such as Provera and Megestrol are not the same as Natural Progesterone. Natural Progesterone is the same chemical structure as the progesterone your ovary produces. Provera and Megestrol are not the same chemical structure. They are patented chemicals made by pharmaceutical companies that are artificially altered and as a result have severe side effects that are clearly documented in the PDR or Physician's Desk Reference. [6]

Women and doctors are confused about PMS. They read in supposedly reputable books that PMS refers to a collection of symptoms that generally occur the 10 days before a woman's period and on into at least a portion of her period time, and that this period of time is the time that progesterone is "dominant". Therefore, PMS is due to progesterone. The mistake they make is to never measure for the progesterone. If they would, they would find that women with PMS are low in progesterone. The ovaries should be making the progesterone and they are not. These women are estrogen and cortisol dominant. (If you use natural progesterone) you will have an 85, 90, 95 percent chance of bringing your PMS symptoms under control. [7]

Over a decade ago, Dr. John Lee first published his startling conclusions about conventional hormone replacement therapy (HRT): synthetic hormones don't work as predicted and, worse, they pose a health threat to women. His findings touched off a storm of controversy. But years later, research has proved him right. Now millions of women concerned about aging are looking for alternatives to HRT, and finding them in natural hormones, and Dr. Lee's effective, commonsense approach to restoring hormone balance. [8]

Dr. John Hargrove of Vanderbilt University Medical Center has[b] reported a 90% success rate.[/b] John Lee, M.D. has reported the best results have been obtained by women who gain several pounds of weight due to water retention during their premenstrual phase. He has used progesterone cream applied to the skin. [6]

Use of natural progesterone for PMS was popularized in the 1960s after publication of Dalton's groundbreaking work, The Premenstrual Syndrome, in 1964. In a subsequent book, this author specifically outlined the use of progesterone for PMS, and she later produced further research to support natural progesterone's role in the treatment of PMS. Dalton stated that "Progesterone is the treatment of choice for patients with severe symptoms which have resisted other forms of treatment, and for those who are at the end of their tether when first reporting for treatment." She also described PMS as an imbalance in the estrogen-progesterone axis; a relative deficiency of progesterone was held responsible for most of the symptoms women experience. Conversely, she stated that an imbalance in the direction of a relative estrogen deficiency gives rise to dysmenorrheal in many women. [9]

6. http://drjamesmd.hypermart.net/
7. http://www.yourlifesource.com/dr-john-lee-interview.htm
8. http://www.johnleemd.com/
9. http://www.project-aware.org/Resource/articlearchives/progesterone_Murray3.shtml#pms
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by almondjoy(f): 3:06am On Nov 03, 2007
Islander:

wink wink wink wink wink,  I am not fiesty, am as cool as a cucumber, well until I am rubbed the wrong way,  tongue tongue

Yea seriously though the BC pills are the best cure, They work magic,

Also since I was advised to change my diet, that too has proven effective. The food here sucks ( too much hormones) thus it messes with our system terribly.

My GYN also recommended taking warm baths during that time. The heat serves as a type of therapy,

You gat things under control then.  Stay healthy and beautiful always. kiss

somze:

I think i'm just going to copy and paste from my paper . . . note that it studies extreme cases which by the looks of it no one has here . . .

What is PMS?
Premenstrual Syndrome: PMS is a disorder characterized by a set of hormonal changes that trigger disruptive symptoms in a significant number of women for up to two weeks prior to menstruation. Of the estimated 40 million suffers, more than 5 million require medical treatment for marked mood and behavioral changes. Often symptoms tend to taper off with menstruation and women remain symptom-free until the two weeks or so prior to the next menstrual period. These regularly recurring symptoms from ovulation until menses typify PMS, premenstrual syndrome. [1]

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) refers to uncomfortable physical and mental symptoms that occur before the onset of the woman’s menstrual period. Estimates of affected women range from 40 to 80%. About 5% of women experience symptoms that cause them severe impairment. PMS may start at any time during the years that a woman menstruates. The peak occurrence is in the 20s and 30s. Once PMS begins, the symptoms often continue until menopause. [2]

1. http://www.usdoctor.com/pms.htm
2. http://www.ncpamd.com/PMS.htm

Good job Somze---Nice to know you are actually doing something with your life. tongue
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 10:30am On Nov 05, 2007
almondjoy:

Good job Somze---Nice to know you are actually doing something with your life. tongue

Na wa o, even person you no know, wan start wahala, abeg carry go jare  tongue

Meanwhile, the issue at hand is PMS not anyone's life

Say after me - P - M - S
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by SwtNsoFLyy(f): 8:45pm On Nov 05, 2007
before i say anything else, somze, pls tell me how old are u, young man?

love & light,

Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by Coco29(f): 8:55pm On Nov 05, 2007
i will not recommend any medicine because of their side effects, however i started having PMS about one year now at first it was hard to control  and most people would avoid me at this time.  I had to marked my period i now set my phone to alarm two weeks before it is due the reminder is there so i know why i feel the way i do and i can relax and not upset myself.  I also drink Puka tea for woman. hope that helps
Re: Sisters: What Is Good Medicine For Pms Cramps? by somze(f): 8:47am On Nov 06, 2007
Coco29
You need not go through the pain, I can send you my research paper by mail and you can read through it and also forward a copy to your Dr, several medications may help but the best yet is Natural Progesterones which I talked about above.

Its not even a medicine per se, its an oral solution or a cream. The cream is known to have a better success rates, Hit me on IM whenever you are online and I can send you the paper.

SwtNsoFlyy
I'm 23 and I'm male cool
What do you need my age for anywayz? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Endometriosis Infertility / How True Is This Air Borne Ebola News (hot Water + Salt) / How To Get Rid Of Mice(rats)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.