Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,663 members, 7,801,917 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House (29359 Views)

Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(uk Certified Fitness Trainers) / Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(us Certified Fitness Trainer) / Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(Uk Certified Fitness Trainer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2009
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my knowledge. I am a certified Fitness Instructor/ Nutritionist(APHNutr) amongst other things, and i invite you to ask questions relating to Nutrition, Fitness, Weight Training, Diet and Exercise.
Unlike most instructors who just have the "theory" knowledge, i' have walked the walk, and can talk the talk.
I know, and can separate what actually works from the theory and the myth.

I am especially interested in providing advice to Women - who are subject to a lot of misinformation in the media, and also Men who are interested in Weight Training and gaining muscle mass.

1 Like

Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by theolar: 11:51pm On Jul 07, 2009
Hi i just lost a few kg and need to know wat i can do to tighten lose flesh. What fruits are good 4 weight loss
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Gigantor: 10:58am On Jul 08, 2009
Hi i just lost a few kg and need to know wat i can do to tighten lose flesh. What fruits are good  4 weight loss
This is Romeo4real - Well done on your weight loss. To "tighten" or tone your muscles, you will have to do some form of resistance exercise. If you have access to a gym - Great. If not, there are a multiple of exercises you can do at home to firm your body. Press ups, Sit ups, Squats. Biceps. Your arms (Triceps/Biceps)and Shoulders raises/press can be done using bags of Sugar or cans of Tomatoes to provide resistance.

There are no particular fruits that are "good" for weight loss, but you can eat fruits that have less calorific value, whilst providing you with some fibre - Apples, Oranges, Tangerines etc.
Remember the only way to maintain your weight loss is to change your lifestyle to include some form of regular exercise, and maintain a healthy diet low in Precessed foods, Fats, Oil and Sugars. Carbs should be also consumed in moderation.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by uchey(f): 11:43am On Jul 08, 2009
Hi, m trying to lose some weight after having a baby and its been pretty tough, am still breastfeeding so i try to eat well, and healthy an excercise, i have been jogging, doing some aerobics like 3 times a week for the past 2 months and i have only lost about 3kg, My question is why ami not losing weight, what should i do, I have rearranged my diet, No fizzy drinks, reduced fats, fries and carbs to the barest minimum, Am feeling very demotivated as i write but i want to start all over again.Pls tell me wat to do and how to go about it, i need help quickly, thanks.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4rea1: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2009
Hi, m trying to lose some weight after having a baby and its been pretty tough, am still breastfeeding so i try to eat well, and healthy an excercise, i have been jogging, doing some aerobics like 3 times a week for the past 2 months and i have only lost about 3kg, My question is why ami not losing weight, what should i do, I have rearranged my diet, No fizzy drinks, reduced fats, fries and carbs to the barest minimum, Am feeling very demotivated as i write but i want to start all over again.Pls tell me wat to do and how to go about it, i need help quickly, thanks.

Dont lose your motivation, as you are on the horizon of your goal. It is tough trying to lose weight after a baby. I always tell ladies - The more weight you put on during pregnancy, the harder it is to get off.
There is still hope though. You mention that you have been jogging and doing various exercises for 2mths. Remember, it took you about 8-9 mths to put this weight on (assuming we are only talking about the pregnancy weight gain), so yo cannot realistically expect to lose it all in 2mths.

So far, you have lost 3kg, which is ok. You need to ramp up the intensity and consistency of the exercises.
How long do you jog for? And how long are the aerobics, and at what intensity? Make sure you are jogging for a minimum of 30mins, so you can reach the fat burning phase, and the aerobics class should also be at least 30mins.
In total, make sure that you are exercising at least 3 times a week, for a minimum of 1 hr each time. That equates to 3hrs a week. Remember, these are minimum figures.

It is good that you have cut out the unhealthy stuff from your diet, but make sure you are not starving yourself, as your body will simply hoard calories after an initial weight loss. Do provide me a list of what you eat daily - and i mean EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth, including snacks and meals.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by carpediem1(f): 9:44am On Jul 09, 2009
Hello,
WARNING LONG POST!

First of all, thanks for starting this thread

I started trying to lose weight in March at 97kg, as at last sunday I am 79kg, my target weight is 60kg, I'm 5"7 so that will give me a BMI of  20 which I think will be fine. I have an underlying medical condition which makes me have hormonal imbalances and insulin resistance.  At first I still ate practically anything just reduced my portions and took long walks and the weight slowly started coming off but stopped so I started watching my food by counting calories (1200 daily) and only eating complex carbs (whole wheat bread, brown rice etc) with lots of veggies and protein. I also started running and started working with weights (dumbbells)

I seem to have stalled again at 79kg and would like to know your opinion on if I'm doing things right or if I need to change anything

Here's a typical meal plan
Breakfast - chocolate whey protein shake (this contains carbs 5g protein 31g fat 3g per shake) OR 2 boiled eggs & 2 grilled sausages OR omelette with tomatoes, pepper and mushrooms
Lunch - I either pack a salad (chicken breast, lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, spring onions) OR buy nando's chicken with a salad OR buy a whole wheat bread sandwich
Dinner - I try to have dinner before 7 most nights  either Chicken or fish peppersoup, OR okra soup (no palm oil) with shrimps and dried fish OR a beef stir fry
Water I try to take a minimum of 3 litres of water a day (a mixture of plain  water and still low calorie flavoured water)
Snacks - If I get hungry between meals I snack on strawberrys or a slice of cheddar cheese or a piece of chicken or carrots.
I do have have occasional cheats (it was my birthday so I had some birthday cake!) but I always try to make up for it by either exercising more or cutting back food wise.

Exercise.
for cardio I run /walk 6 times a week for about an hour depending on my pace sometimes I cover about 7km, if I'm really slow it'll be about 5km. I run for about 15 mins then walk for about 3 mins then run again.

strength training for mon wed fri I use my dummbells 3kg each  and perform 2 sets of 10 reps of
Dumbbell Straight Leg Dead lift
Dumbbell Lunge
Dumbbell Single Leg Calf Raise
Dumbbell Bent-over Row
Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Dumbbell Front Raise
Dumbbell Curl
Dumbbell Kickback
Dumbbell Push Crunch
Dumbbell Fly
Dumbbell Side Bend

on tue thur and sat I work without weights and do some squats push ups and sit ups, I just started this at the beginning of the week

I hope I've given you all the info you might require, so what do you think?
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by uchey(f): 12:00pm On Jul 09, 2009
Thank u so much Romeo, First of all i have some more questions,

1. what do u mean by Fat Burning stage?
2. What did u mean wen u said my body will start hoarding calories if i eat very little or starve myself?, I try not to starve myself but because there are very few choices of healthy foods when am not at home , i usually settle for the more healthy and less filling foods like salads and moin moin, and i still remain very hungry.
3. I heard drinking lots of water is good for improving the body's metabolism and losing weight so i have been drinking water like my life depends on it but i also heard water is fattening especially cold water, how ture is this cos m sooo confused on wat to do.As i write this, i just downed a bottle of 75cl eva water.
4.recently, its been raining and most mornings, its either raining or too cold for me to go out jogging.so i have been using the Eccliptical Trainer i have at home every morning and Nite for like 20mins each time.How effective is this trainer??Is it as effective as the good old jogging /Running outdoors.pls, i need to know.

Here's what my meals are like[i][/i]:

Morning

Fruit n Fibre cereal with Skimmed milk, Oat meal and Evaporated milk., White bread with strawberry jam, i have this Carnation Breaskfast low fat Milk shake that i drink some mornings and other dayz, i completely skip breakfast and eat dry crackers and plenty of water

Lunch
I either eat white rice and a portion of chicken, sometimes moin and beef stew, yam either white with sauce or porridge, i eat a small portion of eba and vegetable soup, egusi or anyone available where i work

Dinner[/b]its easier to control what i eat here cos i prepare it myself.This is usually, Fish or beef peppersoup and one wrap of Agidi, vegetable stew and rice, Unripe plantain porridge with fish and very little oil,

[b]Snacks[/b]I used to have a sweet tooth so i loooooooove chocolates, and sweets but i am proud to say that i havent gone out to buy for the past 3 months since i began my weighloss journey but because i still have desires to binge, i have replaced them with nuts like groundnuts and cashew nut.How healthy are these especially the processed ones?? I eat a lot of crackers, garden eggs, apples, oranges and YESS!!i chew a lot of gum.Brand:[b]Orbit by wriggleys
with
xylitol, I was told its fattening too :oHow true is that?
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Gigantor: 3:12pm On Jul 09, 2009
I started trying to lose weight in March at 97kg, as at last sunday I am 79kg, my target weight is 60kg, I'm 5"7 so that will give me a BMI of  20 which I think will be fine. I have an underlying medical condition which makes me have hormonal imbalances and insulin resistance.  At first I still ate practically anything just reduced my portions and took long walks and the weight slowly started coming off but stopped so I started watching my food by counting calories (1200 daily) and only eating complex carbs (whole wheat bread, brown rice etc) with lots of veggies and protein. I also started running and started working with weights (dumbbells)

@Carpe Diem - this is Romeo4Real, just having problem with my id's at the mo.

Let me congratulate you on your weight loss so far. Well done! A  stall is normal during a weight loss program. It is simply because your body gets used to weight loss program, and adjusts ur metabolic rate to compensate, hence the stagnation.

Diet
Your diet and water intake seem fine. If anything, i would say u are not eating enough. There are minimal carbs in ur diet. If your body senses its starving (not getting adequate calories), it regulates the metabolic rate to compensate, shutting down any weight loss mechanisms. Simply put - it attempts to survive by putting a halt to the weight loss. Your diet should contain adequate carbs from food with a high Glycemic Index in small portions. You should be having some carbs ideally with every meal - with the exception of the last, if you choose.

I would also like to check a few things with you. (1) What protein shake are you taking?. Does it contain any artificial sweeteners? If so, what are they? Also, is the salad a dry salad, or are you using any dressing. (Nandos salad dressing are notoriously high in salt and calories).It is important to watch your salt intake,  will cause you to retain water amongst other things. Also, what filling is in the Sandwich you have for lunch? and where do you buy it from?.

Though your condition encourages weight gain, and also makes it difficult for your body to use fat as energy, Your plan is generally on the right track. I would not worry too much about your counting calories and your BMI. They are both useful as guidance tools, but can be totally misleading if you depend too much on the figures.
I'm sure you know that the calories are equally as important as the type of food they come from.
Regarding the BMI, unfortunately, it does not take into account Muscle/Fat ratios and Bones density, and thus can be misleading. It is well known that Negroid phenotype people tend to have higher bone densities/Muscle to Fat ratios, which will lead them to having higher BMI's without being necessarily overweight.

Exercise.
Ok, from what i can see, you are in the Gym 6days a week You combine ur cardio with weights on every day, except on  Tues, Thurs and Sat. Hope that is correct. Now were gonna make some changes. I'd like you to do ur cardio and weights on different days. this ensure your body van get the benefit of the particular exercise type, and allows you to focus better. Here are guidelines you need to use -

- Spend no more than an hour in the gym. Remember, its not how much you do, but how u do it
- Stretch and warm up before/after. Dedicate10 mins for this
- Separate ur training days into Cardio/ Weight days - No mixing
- I suggest 3 cardio days and 3 weight days
- I suggest you do a 2 day on, 1 day off program, to allow you some rest
- For Cardio, choose ur machine, and stick to it. You can use another machine another day. e.g If using Treadmill, use for duration of session- 40 mins. U can use a diff machine another day.
- Stop running - you will eventually have problems with ur knees and ankles. Walk briskly instead, and increase the levels instead till you cant hold a conversation well.
- For Weights, divide your body into body parts, then into days, and train accordingly - E.g Chest, Arms(Bicep/Triceps) - Day 1, Shoulders/Back - Day 2, Legs/Abs - Day 3.
- Only do 2 exercises/per body part, and max 3 sets/per exercise, increase reps to 15-20, as 10 to low for the weights ur using. E.g, for legs, you can do 2 exercises = Squats and Lunges, 3 sets each = 6 sets in total.

Hope this helps. If unclear, just let me know.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4rea1: 4:10pm On Jul 09, 2009
@Uchey

1. what do u mean by Fat Burning stage?
During exercises, your body initially burn Sugar(Blood Glucose/Muscle Glycogen) as fuel, because it is more readily available. It then moves to burning Fat at a later stage. It takes a medium intensity exercise, at min 20mins, for this to start happening. The longer the exercise, the more you stay in the "fat burning" zone

2. What did u mean wen u said my body will start hoarding calories if i eat very little or starve myself?
If your calorific intake less than what your body thinks is optimal, the body assumes it is being starved of food. It does 2 things; (1) It lowers the metabolic rate, so less calories are burnt. (2) It begins to store fat, because it thinks its starving, so it can call on the fat reserves in the future. When u are at this stage, anything you eat will mostly be converted into Fat. This is why you see women drastically losing weight, then piling it on again.
When trying to lose weight, it is important to eat adequately. The guidelines are 1500 - 2000 minimum a day, but this obviously depends on lifestyle, height, weight and general health.

I try not to starve myself but because there are very few choices of healthy foods when am not at home
True, that's why to eat healthy, you have to plan your meals. Consistency is soooo important here. You should know where u are getting ur meals from, and eating at the same time each day. This will ensure a steady release of Insulin into ur blood stream and avoid any spikes or troughs.

3. I heard drinking lots of water is good for improving the body's metabolism and losing weight so i have been drinking water like my life depends on it but i also heard water is fattening especially cold water
Drinking water serves to hydrate ur body, but its also crucial in a weight loss program as it helps flush out toxins and waste products, and makes the digestive process more efficient. Water is NOT fattening - hot, cold or warm. Being in a hot climate, where you lose a lot of water through transpiration and perspiration, you need to drink at least 3 litres of water a day.

its been raining and most mornings, its either raining or too cold for me to go out jogging.so i have been using the Elliptical Trainer i have at home every morning and Nite for like 20mins each time.
This is no problem. The main issue when training at home is motivation. Make sure u are using the trainer for at least 40mins. I am not a great fan of jogging, as if you do it long enough(especially over hard surfaces), u will end up with injuries. Research has shown that quick brisk walking, or power walking, is just as effective as jogging for weight loss programs

Fruit n Fibre cereal with Skimmed milk, Oat meal and Evaporated milk., White bread with strawberry jam, i have this Carnation Breakfast low fat Milk shake that i drink some mornings and other days, i completely skip breakfast and eat dry crackers and plenty of water
Anything you put in ur mouth counts as a meal - even if its 2 Crackers. The key is to make it count. If you dont have time fore a proper meal, eat more crackers. Make sure ur portions are not too large. I'm not too sure about the Carnation Milk shake. Check out its calorific, Sugar/Fat content and let me know.

I either eat white rice and a portion of chicken, sometimes moin and beef stew, yam either white with sauce or porridge, i eat a small portion of eba and vegetable soup, egusi or anyone available where i work
If these are standard Naija portions, then you need to reduce them. These are complex carbs,which is good, but u dont want to eat too much of them. Reduce or cut out ur Red meat intake (Beef/Goat), and eat more White meat(Chicken/Fish). The Vegetable soup/Egusi will contain a lot of oil - Palm Oil(very bad), Vegetable oil(Ok bad)- cut them out, or reduce drastically. The problem with eating out, is that you dont have any control over the preparation. If possible, prepare ur own food, and take it with you.

It is better to eat unprocessed naturally prepared nuts, but any nut is still better than than sweets or chocolates.
be careful not to overindulge in the nuts, fruits and crackers as they all contribute to ur calorific intake.

Xylitol is a naturally occurring sugar present in the fibres of many fruit/vegetables. It is used to sweeten gum, and is NOT fattening (not in the quantities found in chewing gum).
It actually has a lot of beneficial properties - It reduces plaque, so its good for the teeth, its much better than sugar in terms of calories, and does not lead to a spike of insulin into the body when consumed.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by dominique(f): 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2009
thanks Romeo4real/giantor, i'm finding your posts very helpful. . . i hope put them to use more often smiley
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by carpediem1(f): 9:55am On Jul 10, 2009
Thank you so much, it all makes so much sense. I'm so happy you started this thread, I've become so serious about health and fitness now my family and friends think i'm getting a bit obsessed!
Gigantor:

Diet
Your diet and water intake seem fine. If anything, i would say u are not eating enough. There are minimal carbs in ur diet. If your body senses its starving (not getting adequate calories), it regulates the metabolic rate to compensate, shutting down any weight loss mechanisms. Simply put - it attempts to survive by putting a halt to the weight loss. Your diet should contain adequate carbs from food with a high Glycemic Index in small portions. You should be having some carbs ideally with every meal - with the exception of the last, if you choose.
I find it really difficult to eat now, I have very little appetite and immediately feel full when I start eating, I will increase my carb intake

(1) What protein shake are you taking?. Does it contain any artificial sweeteners? If so, what are they?
Its called Boditronics express whey, I take it on mornings when I'm running late or in the evenings when I get home too late to eat here are the Ingredients : Whey Protein Isolate , Whey Protein Concentrate , Micellar Casein , MCT Oil , Prebiotic ( Oligosaccharides ) Natural Identical flavouring , Dutch Chocolate Powder, Stabiliser ( Citric Acid ) , Contains Natural Sweeteners Sucrolose , Dextrose

Also, is the salad a dry salad, or are you using any dressing. (Nandos salad dressing are notoriously high in salt and calories).It is important to watch your salt intake,  will cause you to retain water amongst other things.
sometimes its a dry salad and sometimes I make my own dressing a mixture  of extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and black pepper. when i buy nando's salad i take it with out the dressing

Also, what filling is in the Sandwich you have for lunch? and where do you buy it from?.
the filling is sometimes tomato or smoked salmon or salt beef, I buy it from pret manger a sandwich shop near my office

I actually don't go to the gym, I run at 5.30am usually back at 6.30  and do the exercises at home afterwards.

I agree with you on the running, when I first started running my knees and feet really hurt so I saw an orthopedic who said I had excessive pronation and recommended i get specialist running shoes, since i started using them i haven't had any problems would the fact that I run in the park which is all grass and that I use specialist running shoes help?, I  really don't want to give up running.
Apart from my dumbbells, I also own a skipping rope, could i get the same effect from skipping? The reason I ask is I notice I don't get the same results from brisk walking as I do from running,   cry If you still think its a bad idea I have some Taebo high intensity DVD's I could use for cardio, I just find them boring.

I'm going to follow to the letter your weight training recommendations, what are your thoughts on increasing my dumbbells to 5kg? I've been using the 3kg because I keep hearing that if my weights are too heavy it will make me muscular, is that true?
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4rea1: 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2009
I find it really difficult to eat now, I have very little appetite and immediately feel full when I start eating, I will increase my carb intake

@Carpe Diem - Glad to be of help. Appetite should not be the measure of eating times and habits. It is erratic and inconsistent. It will make u eat more when ur hungry, and not skip meals when ur not.
It is best to see eating for what it is - A means to an end. The purpose of eating is to supply ur body with nutrients. This has to be done in a consistent way, with the right foods, in the right quantities, at the right times.
Though its difficult, you need to eat at consist times in the day, irrespective of hunger. Set the times, and keep to it.

Contains Natural Sweeteners Sucrolose , Dextrose
All seems fine with the exception of Sucralose. It is actually an artificial sweetener created by chlorinating sucrose. It has zero calories, as its supposed to pass through the body undigested, but studies have shown that some Sucralose is indeed metabolized in the lower intestine. This can cause a lot of gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea,) for some people. Even more worrying, it has been linked to more serious health issues - Thymus gland shrinkage, liver and kidneys problems, reduce blood cell count, pregnancy extensions/abortions, etc.
I suffered from bad gastro issues when i used a protein shake with Sucralose, so i avoid it like the plague. The symptoms also seem to last for weeks, even when you stop using it.

I really don't want to give up running.
You dont have to, if u enjoy it that much. The specialist shoes are definitely a must, and its good you have them. Avoid hard surfaces at all costs. Skipping is also excellent, as long as its done long enough. You can mix the skipping and running on different days.

I have some Taebo high intensity DVD's I could use for cardio, I just find them boring.
I can imagine it'll be boring doing this at home, but TaeBo is an very good way to lose weight, and its more fun when done in a class. I practise Muay Thai, from which TaeBo is derived. If you have the time, i will definitely advise you to look for a gym offering Muay Thai, or some form of Kick Boxing. I really cannot over estimate how good this is for losing weight and keeping fit. You use all ur muscles simultaneously whilst increasing ur aerobic capacity.

what are your thought son increasing my dumbbells to 5kg? I've been using the 3kg because I keep hearing that if my weights are too heavy it will make me muscular, is that true?
If ur feeling strong, then increase the weight. As long as u are not doing below 15 reps. Weights are simply a tool that you can use to sculpt the body you want. Yes they can make u muscly, but they can also make you lean, toned, lose fat and be generally fit. It all depends on how they are used, and how much you lift. I can assure you, it takes a lot more than 5kg to build heavy muscles.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4rea1: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2009
@Carpe Diem - Glad to be of help. Appetite should not be the measure of eating times and habits. It is erratic and inconsistent. It will make u eat more when ur hungry, and not skip meals when ur not.
It is best to see eating for what it is - A means to an end. The purpose of eating is to supply ur body with nutrients. This has to be done in a consistent way, with the right foods, in the right quantities, at the right times.
Though its difficult, you need to eat at consistent times in the day, irrespective of hunger. Set the times, and keep to it.

Contains Natural Sweeteners Sucrolose , Dextrose
All seems fine with the exception of Sucralose. It is actually an artificial sweetener created by chlorinating sucrose. It has zero calories, as its supposed to pass through the body undigested, but studies have shown that some Sucralose is indeed metabolized in the lower intestine. This can cause a lot of gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea,) for some people. Even more worrying, it has been linked to more serious health issues - Thymus gland shrinkage, liver and kidneys problems, reduce blood cell count, pregnancy extensions/abortions, etc.
I suffered from bad gastro issues when i used a protein shake with Sucralose, so i avoid it like the plague. The symptoms also seem to last for weeks, even when you stop using it.

I really don't want to give up running.
You dont have to, if u enjoy it that much. The specialist shoes are definitely a must, and its good you have them. Avoid hard surfaces at all costs. Skipping is also excellent, as long as its done long enough. You can mix the skipping and running on different days.

I have some Taebo high intensity DVD's I could use for cardio, I just find them boring.
I can imagine it'll be boring doing this at home, but TaeBo is an very good way to lose weight, and its more fun when done in a class. I practise Muay Thai, from which TaeBo is derived. If you have the time, i will definitely advise you to look for a gym offering Muay Thai, or some form of Kick Boxing. I really cannot over estimate how good this is for losing weight and keeping fit. You use all ur muscles simultaneously whilst increasing ur aerobic capacity.

what are your thought son increasing my dumbbells to 5kg? I've been using the 3kg because I keep hearing that if my weights are too heavy it will make me muscular, is that true?
If ur feeling strong, then increase the weight. As long as u are not doing below 15 reps. Weights are simply a tool that you can use to sculpt the body you want. Yes they can make u muscly, but they can also make you lean, toned, lose fat and be generally fit. It all depends on how they are used, and how much you lift. I can assure you, it takes a lot more than 5kg to build heavy muscles.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by carpediem1(f): 7:43am On Jul 11, 2009
thanks Romeo, I will go easy on the protein shake, I have been having feeling bloated but thought it was the 50ml of semi skimmed milk I used to add to it, (I'm lactose intolerant). I'm one of those people that totally abhors gyms, i feel extremly uncomfortable and self conscious in them so I avoid them like the plague! I'll mix Tae bo with running and maybe get different workouts to make it more exciting.
Here's a new meal pla with more carbs what do you think
Breakfast 2 weetabix skimmed milk and some fruit eg strawberries, banana OR quaker oats with dried fruit OR 2 eggs 2 sausages and a slice of whole wheat bread
Lunch 1 cup cooked beans with fish stew OR chicken salad with a bread roll OR Tuna sanwich
Dinner Chicken peppersoup OR fish peppersoup OR grilled fish OR a suralose free protein shake

PS for some reason your post seems to have dissappeared
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 10:53am On Jul 13, 2009
@Carpe Diem - Dont know why the post are disappearing. Seems like there's a bug in the system affecting posts and id's.
The meal plan looks great. I would advise you nibble on some fruits/nuts in between (at set times) - with the exception of high calorie fruits like bananas/pears (U can include them in ur meals, but not in-between), to give a minimal, but steady stream of insulin into ur blood stream.
Substitute the skimmed milk for unsweetened soya milk - that's what i use as i'm also lactose intolerant. It can taste a bit bland,but u soon get used to it. It u need to sweeten it, a teaspoon of Honey is ok.
If you can motivate urself at home, i see no problem with home training.
Remember, do it as ur name suggests, try to have fun with it, and it'll all work out in the end. The key is, consistency, consistency, and consistency. All the best.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2009
Woow,nice thread. Will be back with more of my food info.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 10:38am On Jul 14, 2009
I'm back. Ok Romeo, i've been exercising for about 5 months on and off and i reduced my food portions and i'm trying to eat healthy.

For exercise i do press ups, squats and sit ups. Sometimes i dance. I walk whenever i can instead of taking a bike. I dont do weights cos i don't have one. Will get some as soon as i can. I also skip 1000 everyday 5 days a week.

Food
In no particular order, i eat bread(3-4 slices depends on how hungry i am), quaker oats, cereal(fruit and fibre most times), tea(not with skimmed milk and just one cube of sugar), yam (3 small pieces), eba(fist size, trying to substitute with wheat), boiled plantain, rice, moinmoin, beans, cucumber(love it), fried rice some sundays, egusi, okro, vegetable soup,ogbono,i eat fish most times(don't like meat). Can't remember anymore.

I try to snack on fruits like pineapple, pawpaw and banana. Don't like oranges.

So that's about it. I try to eat 3 times a day and i drink 3-3.5L of water everyday. Waiting for your reply. Oh yes! Why should cardio and strength training be separated? I do all my exercises together.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by theolar: 2:50pm On Jul 14, 2009
Hi my cousin is 105kg and 5"8".she has tried everytin to reduce her weight but nothin has workd . She decided to lock her jaw which i advisd against but she still went ahead to do it. Wat protein shakes wuld u recommend.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 11:15am On Jul 15, 2009
@Edjadamen

For exercise i do press ups, squats and sit ups. Sometimes i dance
What is the routine regarding these exercises? How many? How often? And when? If there is no clear defined routine or consistency in these exercises, you will not be getting the full benefit from them.

I also skip 1000 everyday 5 days a week.
Is this at one go? Or do you break it up?

In no particular order, i eat bread(3-4 slices depends on how hungry i am), quaker oats, cereal(fruit and fibre most times), tea(not with skimmed milk and just one cube of sugar), yam (3 small pieces), eba(fist size, trying to substitute with wheat), boiled plantain, rice, moinmoin, beans, cucumber(love it), fried rice some sundays, egusi, okro, vegetable soup,ogbono,i eat fish most times(don't like meat)
Please write out clearly what you have for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Also include any snack you have during the day. Again there must be consistency in ur meals and meal times.

Why should cardio and strength training be separated? I do all my exercises together.
It is better to separate them in order to get the full benefits from your efforts. Cardio and strength training require the use of different systems in the body- Cardio (predominantly cardiovascular system), Strength Training (predominantly Musculoskeletal system), By training both in one session, you cannot adequately focus 100% of ur energy on either of them. You are there by diluting your efforts. This is a common mistake that a lot of people make.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 11:17am On Jul 15, 2009
Duplicate
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 11:43am On Jul 15, 2009
My food and exercsie log is on this thread, please look into it. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-282744.0.html
I skip 100, 10 times, sometimes 200, 5 times.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 12:27pm On Jul 15, 2009
Hi my cousin is 105kg and 5"8".she has tried everytin to reduce her weight but nothin has workd . She decided to lock her jaw which i advisd against but she still went ahead to do it. Wat protein shakes wuld u recommend.
@theolar - Wiring the jaw is a dangerous and desperate solution to weight loss. It is not sustainable - as you cant "lock" your jaw forever, and can have serious negative health consequences.
Your cousin needs to re examine her relationship with food, as this seems be more of an issue of control and willpower. I need more information on what she is currently eating before i can recommend a "Protein Shake".
The reason is, she may need a Meal Replacement shake, rather than a Protein shake. You have also not commented on how efficient the procedure has been.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by theolar: 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2009
She locked her jaw like a week ago and she claims she is liter dan ever. She takes skimmd milk, beans soup, blended fish in soup, wheat made very lite,and blended fruits. She is also takin omega3 supplement . Tanx
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:49pm On Jul 15, 2009
@Ejadamen - I cant find your post. You can retrieve it and copy it here.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:55pm On Jul 15, 2009
She locked her jaw like a week ago and she claims she is liter dan ever. She takes skimmd milk, beans soup, blended fish in soup, wheat made very lite,and blended fruits. She is also takin omega3 supplement
@theolar - She would be lighter as she is simply starving herself. It is the reduction in her calorific intake that causes the weight loss, rather than the procedure itself.
You have not made clear what she has for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In any case, she would need a meal replacement shake. One that has protein, carbs and low in fat.

I can recommend Met-Rx, EAS Myoplex and Maximuscle’s Promax Meal. They are all very good. They do not come cheap though.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 8:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
Romeo4real:

@Ejadamen - I cant find your post. You can retrieve it and copy it here.
My food and exercsie log is on this thread, please look into it. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-282744.0.html
I skip 100, 10 times, sometimes 200, 5 times.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 6:12pm On Jul 17, 2009
Dear All,

I am considering creating another post/topic to provide a sort of Fitness/ Exercise workshop/class.
Every week, a new topic regarding Health, Exercise, Fitness and Nutrition would be posted. Users can then ask questions regarding the topic, learn, and discuss.

Do let me have your opinion if this is a resource that is needed, or we can deal with those topics here.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 8:31pm On Jul 17, 2009
Yes yes yes!
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by theolar: 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2009
Perfect decision. Tanx u too much
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by carpediem1(f): 9:31pm On Jul 17, 2009
I think its a good idea, definitely a separate thread, looking forward to it!
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by carpediem1(f): 7:23am On Jul 18, 2009
on another note, saying that unsweetened soy milk is bland is an understatement! I'm trying the Alpro brand and its horrible, not a huge fan of honey is splenda okay? or do would you recommend another brand.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 8:56pm On Jul 18, 2009
on another note, saying that unsweetened soy milk is bland is an understatement! I'm trying the Alpro brand and its horrible, not a huge fan of honey is splenda okay? or do would you recommend another brand.
NO! Splenda is the same as Sucralose. It's a Chlorocarbon, and has more in common with pesticides than it has with natural sugars.
You can try an ASDA brand - Its Soya Milk sweetened with Apple extract.
Why don't u like honey? Its much better than any sugar, and if warmed slightly in a microwave, mixes very well with the Soya milk. Or you can try Rice Milk, or Oat Milk. They do taste a bit nicer, if a little watery. They are more expensive as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

6 Provoking Ways You Are Endangering Your Health / Ondo Church Attack: Blood Donors Needed At Federal Medical Centre Owo / 463 New COVID-19 Cases, 121 Discharged And 10 Deaths On July 14 - (12707 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.