Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship (706 Views)

8 Things No One Will Tell You About Entrepreneurship / 5 Lies You Have Been Told About Entrepreneurship / One Quote About Entrepreneurship That Can Change Your Life Forever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship by ATTAHDYE(m): 6:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship

“The truth is, entrepreneurship is hard.

There are no shortcuts or magic formulas to make piles of cash appear in your bank account overnight. You have to work ridiculously hard and anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something.

So why are there so many deceiving products and courses to lure in, and eventually disappoint, aspiring entrepreneurs?”

Our society craves instant gratification — we want things now and we want them fast.

We are able to rent movies on demand, use our smartphones to have a personal driver waiting outside within minutes and Chipotle’s Twitter feed goes nuclear if someone has to wait in line for more
than a couple minutes to get their burrito.
Entrepreneurship is much cooler than it was years
ago, with entrepreneurs seen as modern-day rock
stars. The thought of being an entrepreneur is extremely
appealing, which has led to an onslaught of
products and courses with names similar to:

How to Earn Six-Figures in Six Weeks
Build a Six-Figure Online Empire on Your
Laptop Working at the Beach
Make Money 24/7 While Your Sleep With This
Automated System
Become Your Own Boss and Make Millions by
Tomorrow
The truth is, entrepreneurship is hard.

There are no shortcuts or magic formulas to make piles of cash appear in your bank account overnight. You have to work ridiculously hard and anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something.

So why are there so many deceiving products and courses to lure in, and eventually disappoint, aspiring entrepreneurs? It relates to the very first sentence in this article — instant gratification. Would there be excitement and interest for course and product titles such as:

Work Several Years for Little to No Pay
How to Get 3 Hours of Sleep a Night and Constantly Be Stressed
Quit Your 9-5 Job and Work Twice as Hard
Learn How to Secure a Non-Guaranteed Paycheck Overnight
Those titles wouldn’t sell because they wouldn’t excite anyone. Would entrepreneurship be a sexy topic if there were stories published daily about all the failures and crushed dreams? Not a chance. Instead, unicorn startups that receive billion-dollar pre-revenue valuations are featured.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — the truth about entrepreneurship isn’t mentioned nearly enough. Entrepreneurs need to know it’s going to be hard and quick success is rare.

You have to go in fully understanding failure is possible.

Entrepreneurs are brave individuals — knowing that there are no guarantees and putting it all on the line takes guts. Without risk, there is no reward and I would go as far as to say that you should embrace failure. You don’t want to expect it, but fully understand that it’s a possibility and be committed to learn from it if you do experience it.

You have to be willing to put in the work.

While a lot of courses and programs being sold promise minimal work, it just isn’t reality. Sure, there are rare exceptions, but ask most successful entrepreneurs how their days looked when they were just starting out and I’m willing to bet that they included heading into the office before the sun was up and leaving well after it went back down.

You have to be willing to work. Everyone has the time, but not everyone is willing to dedicate it to building a business. Gary Vaynerchuk said it best — “Stop watching Lost … if you want this. If you want bling bling. If you want to buy the Jets. If you want to do this. Work. That’s how you get it.”

You have to be willing to constantly learn.

A successful entrepreneur is never done learning — he or she is constantly looking to absorb information and insight. Even with little to no free time, a successful entrepreneur is making time to read books, network with like-minded people and establish relationships with mentors and influences. There is no “off” switch, especially when it comes to learning.

Being an entrepreneur isn’t easy, but amazing things can happen when you understand that overnight success is rare and you are ready to work your ass off.

Source: http://smetoolbox.com/2016/01/04/3-hard-truths-people-rarely-mention-about-entrepreneurship/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship by umehmj(m): 6:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
nice! i learnt that watching my mother make business deals that turned sour but she never gave up. she is my biggest influencer. most of the things keeping me going today i learnt from her
Re: 3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship by ATTAHDYE(m): 7:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lucky you.

We have to change this perception that Enterprenuership is a get rich quick scheme.
Re: 3 Hard Truths People Rarely Mention About Entrepreneurship by tyehmi(m): 3:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
True

(1) (Reply)

Operator Needed For This Machine! / Natural Stone, Marble, Onyx, Travertine / Positive Traits Every Sports Trader Subconsciously Acquire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.