Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton (829 Views)

Bobby Madley Quits As Premier League Referee / Pep Guardiola Sends ‘big Hug’ After Sir Alex Ferguson’s Brain Surgery / Sir Alex Ferguson In Intensive Care After Brain Sugery As Sympathy Floods In(Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton by onunwa21(m): 6:34pm On Feb 15, 2016
Manchester United have announced that the South Stand at Old Trafford will be renamed to commemorate Sir Bobby Charlton.

The World Cup winner was instrumental in the Red Devils securing three league titles as well as the European Cup in 1968 and remains their all-time record goalscorer.

Charlton played over 750 matches for the Red Devils, scoring a record 249 goals, as United won three League titles and the European Cup in 1968.

He was also a member of England's 1966 World Cup winning squad, scoring three times in the tournament as the Three Lions went on to beat West Germany in the final at Wembley.

And United have moved to ensure Charlton's lasting connection with the club, where he is now a director, by changing the name of the South Stand, with the unveiling set to take place on April 2 before the club host Everton in the Premier League.

"This is a great honour and I am very proud – for myself and my family – that the club has chosen to name the South Stand after me," Charlton told United's official website.

"Manchester United has been such an important part of my life and I have so many wonderful memories of this Theatre of Dreams.

"As a player, I remember the goals and the marvelous players I played with. As a director, I have seen some outstanding matches and players. It is a special place indeed."

Executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, added: "Bobby is, quite simply, the most iconic figure in English football history.

"A player, a diplomat, a gentleman and a tireless worker for charity, he represents everything that is good about football and Manchester United.

"It has been a privilege to know him and humbling to work alongside him for the last 10 years.

"Renaming the South Stand, which contains both the Directors’ Box and the old players’ changing rooms, is a fitting tribute to all that Bobby has contributed to the club both as a player and a director."

Charlton joins Sir Alex Ferguson in having a stand named after him at Old Trafford, with the former North Stand having been renamed to reflect the Scot's achievements in management in 2011.
Re: Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton by micfoley: 6:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
He deserves it
Re: Manchester United To Name South Stand After Sir Bobby Charlton by onunwa21(m): 7:18pm On Feb 15, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Champions League: Atletico Madrid Surprisingly Knock Out Barcelona / Why Did Muhammad Ali Convert To Islam? / Koffi Comedy Nite - Proudly Sponsored By Www.naijabet.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.